Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Andrew

Stony Brook is extremely diverse. The stereotype is mainly that everybody's Asian because we have a largely life science-based school - which is true. The student body is about 40% Asian which is much higher than usual. The diversity is such that you will find people of all races and ethnicity at Stony Brook.

Danielle

My classes included 200 or more students, but based on the test curves a lot of people seemed smarter than me. On the other hand I met, sat, and studied with people who were also struggling with the material, like me. It let me know I was not alone.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to apply to a different college because the material at Stony Brook is very difficult and ruining my GPA. I would also tell myself to not trust people as easily because the people at my college are socially awkward and are scared away by people trying to help them. Overall I did not enjoy my first year and hope the years to come are better, but unfortunately you would only know that from experience and for all I know other colleges could be the same.

The one thing I like about college is the freedom, compared to high school. It was nice to have free time where it was your choice to study and not because your parents were telling you to. College has made me aware of the fact that I am mature enough to do my work and not slack off or party.

Muskan

extremely helpful, tedious, and hardworking

extremely helpful, tedious, and hardworking

College is considered to be one of the best times of one's life. It is in college where one is exposed to different political views, ethnicities, religions, nationalities, and above all, different people. It is one of the most important phases of your life. It is a phase in which one grows to be a more mature person. If I could go back in time and talk to my own self as a high school senior, I would advise myself to step foot into college with a broad mind so I can welcome new ideologies and thoughts. For the course load, good organization and study skills are extremely important. I will balance my social life and my academic life, making sure that social life does not interfere with my study time. One of the most important things I would consider is the type of classes that I will take. Besides the core classes that are required for my major/minor, I will take other classes that highly interest me. I will give myself advise to join more clubs, volunteer, and participate in extracurricular activities. I will take college as a huge learning experience where I will grow throughout.

A person that is not friendly and is not accommodating to other religions, nationalities, ethnicities, and political views.

Paige

I skipped a year of college right after high school and if i could go back i would tell myself not to because it is wonderful. i love college and could be farther along if i wasent scared that first year out of high school.

Gilad

Students here are usually overworked and depressed.

Students here are usually overworked and depressed.

Stony brook is primarily known as a medical and scientific research school.

I would have told myself to not to slack off as much and to be more pressing about my college application.

Krupali

Honestly there is no stereotype at Stony Brook; the campus is so large and diverse that there is a good mix of jocks, and geeks and frat kids. Whatever you're looking for, Stony probably has a group of it, and the campus is too large to be sterotyped.

Krystalyn

It is a good school. There is an abundance of interesting classes and a lot of new people to meet and get to know. However, tuition keep going up, the meal plan kind of sucks, and there is a lot of construction on campus. The campus is large, but not so big as so you couldn't walk completely across campus in about 15 minutes. Sometimes administrative red tape can be very confusing, but the staff are generally friendly even if they have no idea how to help you. School pride is something that is really big in some circles, and not so important in others. You can easily go to a rally and rage and cheer with hundreds of other students, or be comfortably, completely negligent. I like this aspect of the school; how they encourage school spirit without demanding it. Personally, my favorite area to hang out is the TAC or "Tabler Arts Center". Starting at around 9pm and lasting almost completely through the night people gather in front of the TAC to hang out, make friends, and be generally silly. I will always remember these giant gatherings of friends and soon to be friends as we experimented in all sorts of crazy things.

Describe a typical weekend.

Quiet. The campus becomes barren as most of the students journey home to spend the weekends with their families. As a student from California, this really isn't an option for me. In the wasteland that is the weekend on campus, I have had my most interesting adventures and made my closest friends. Nothing inspires friendship and adventure like an unhealthy amount of boredom.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Trees and a somewhat old fashion shopping center. Life off campus really doesn't hit modern conveniences until you are about 2 miles away at the mall. However, with hourly and sometimes even free buses and a convenient train station on campus, getting away is not very difficult for student landlocked by a lack of car.

What do students complain about most?

The food. Overpriced and not nearly as delicious as it should be. I found my resolution through living in a cooking apartment and making my own food. With a free weekend bus to the mall and other various shopping centers, this was both easy and affordable.

There are So many student activity groups it is hard to say which are the most popular. Personally, I am involved with Oxfam, the Culinary Club, SBU-TNG club, the SB cat network, and the Commuter Student Committee. This, along with the myriad of student activities keeps me both busy and well fed. (Most organizations and activities give away free food). Most of my closest friend I've met through these activities and through just being around on campus. 2am on a Tuesday? I'm probably hanging out at the TAC or grabbing a bit to eat at Kelly Cafe. Traditions include The Great Roth Regatta - Teams of people construct creative boats out of duct tape and cardboard and race them across a pond located on school grounds. Hundreds of people show up to participate and cheer the contestants on while they enjoy free food, treats, and paraphernalia. It is perhaps my favorite tradition. Other Annual events include Strawberry-fest, Rubber-Duck racing, Earth Fest, multiple ice-cream socials and a whole lot more that I cannot remember off the top of my head. Greek Life is somewhat big, but not something I ever became a part of. They often host parties and campus events that are usually very large, but level of involvement is very optional. Honestly, Saturday nights are pretty dead. Almost everyone goes home for the weekend, which is a shame, because wander campus with your friend on the weekend is very fun and is the basis of many of my fondest memories of Stony Brook. New York City is just a short train ride away so it is easy to make your way to the city for an adventure anytime-if you have enough money to afford a ticket, that is. Other off-campus activities include mall runs, adventure in the nice little waterfront town of Port Jefferson, and playing at the beach.

How close you get to you professors really depends on what kinds of classes you are taking. In my freshman and sophomore years, it was rare that I ever spoke to a professor. Sure, they had office hours and were more than willing to help out whenever they were needed; however, because I classes were large and I never really struggled, I didn't feel like being imposing. Now that I am a senior and my classes have become specialized, it is rare for my professors not to know my name. The smaller class size usually lends itself to more open an interesting discussions as students become less timid about expressing their opinion. I love all the classes, except for the ones I hate. Classes I've found particularly off putting are the general level classes for chemistry and math. General Chemistry, the basics, was explained in an overly complicated and difficult way that really did nothing to inspire my learning process, and the math teachers didn't quite know how to explain the material in such a way that it translated well to me. I believe this is Because of how basic the material was. That, because the professors were so far beyond the basics, it was hard for them to simplify something that, to them, was already ridiculously simple. As classes progressed off the more basic levels, their teaching style became more comprehensive and understandable. I love having intellectual conversations outside of class, People here are smart and come up with a bunch of crazy awesome, interesting ideas. My major is Health Sciences. This means my senior year I will spend learning about the health industry and health related subject in the Stony Brook Hospital. The first semester of doing this in my senior year was somewhat of a let down: Health Science classes were slow, boring, and there were a bunch of unpleasant group projects. However, now that I am in the second semester, I have found that the classes have become quite a bit more interesting. While I have always been interested in learning for knowledge sake, this major specifically is geared towards future employment. I find it quite helpful ass I know I will have to graduate eventually.

There are actually different stereotypes for different sections of the school. Tabler quad is full of hippies, H-quad is full of jocks, Roosevelt is a ghetto, and things like that. It is somewhat true. Upon entering Stony Brook University, people are separated into 5 subgroups with the hope that they will meet people who have similar interests. Eventually, new students settle into the group of people they are most comfortable with and gravitate to specific parts of campus.

Brittainy

Stony Brook is fun, enlightening, challenging, and provides students with the necessary resources to suceed in life.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have so much advice to give. First, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible! Its amazing how much scholarships one can get and they IMMENSELY decrease the amount of those daunting school loans. I would also advise to know your options when registering for classes. Many times I suffered through classes that I didnt really need to take. Speak to your advisors, they are there to help and support you. I would advise myself to take advantage of any tutoring that is offered on campus. Many times I struggled in math and chemistry, not realizing that I had several opportunities to get great help. Most importantly, I would tell myself to relax and ENJOY COLLEGE. Yes, college is about getting a degree and positioning oneself for a career BUT you only get four years of college. Dont rush to graduation and enjoy it while you can because when you graduate, LIFE HAPPENS! Join clubs and/or sororities, gain lifetime friends, obtain experience through on campus internships and jobs. Have fun.

The most frustrating thing is the steadily increasing tuition amount.

Vikalpa

I believe Stony Brook is a good middle ground for students looking for a quality science education at an affordable price. Our university is ranked very high in our science and research departments, a ranking I can vouch for as a Biology major. Unfortunately, since this school is so heavily dedicated to science and engineering, it may not be suitable for those looking into other fields such as business or law. However, regardless of what a student chooses to study at Stony Brook, there is always help available.

The students at Stony Brook are very diverse, partly because it is a large school and partly because there are a lot of students from one of the most diverse cities on the planet, NYC. There are countless clubs, greek organizations, societies, etc to accommodate to any type of student.

The stereotype I tend to hear is that Stony Brook is a school full of stoners. Our university has adopted the nicknames: Stoner Brook and Stoned and Broke. Although there is a considerable population of students who engage in marijuana use, I do not necessarily find it to be anything out of the norm. Drug use is a problem across campuses nationwide. Fortunately, Stony Brook security and regulations work to making the campus an education conducive environment. As a student, the advice I would give to any parent of prospective student concerned about such an issue is that ultimately, the success of the student depends on will power and a proper mindset. There are just as many ways to avoid bad company as there are ways to become bad company.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.