Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

james

I would advise myself to accomplish more, especially to improve my grades. Considering my high school had a very good reputation, if I had put a little more effort into myself I would have been able to achieve more.

The student is very much separated. The university does not necessarily have good p.r. with the students which leads to an indication of uncare.

There is a lack of connection between the professors and students. Besides a few set of very intelligent professors, the majority of the teaching staff tend to stick themself and are often times hard to contact.

andreyah

Stony Brook University is unique due to its affordable budget while still maintaining a highly recognized reputation. This university is tough to handle, but it is satisfying in the long run. I will admit to crying for almost every class, excluding freshmen seminar, but succeeding in all. The professors relate their research to the courses they teach, making the material more tangible. Stony Brook is that jump the dependence to independence. This school is in deep with the type of career path that I wanted to take, and its scientific basis is what made it the obvious choice.

I knew college was going to be quite distant from the comforts of high school, and I think that I was well prepared for that. It would have been helpful to know how tight the scheduling was and that certain classes were in such high demand. I only found out that Stony Brook was so tough to adjust to once I started attending. However, I would not change my choice.

The number one thing I would tell myself to take more seriously is the scholarship search. Paying for school out of the pocket was difficult and I was not paying attention to the stress it may cause while I was breezing through my senior year. I would also tell myself to enjoy the easiness of high school life to the fullest. College is that major step that brings one closer to the hardships of adulthood, financially and responsibility wise. I know that my senior self did not try to enjoy high school as much as she should have, but looking back on it I know that I should have. Myself as a senior probably would have appreciated knowing that financial preparation is just as important as academic preparation.

Although you got straight A's in high school to maintain a 4.0 GPA, you will have to study HARD to get straight A's. But professors wiil note your hard work and your drawing talent and constantly commend you.

Someone focused and interested in science since they are a science based school, must be disciplined, eager to learn, no slacking off, and study hard.

Slackers, party people, those who like to put work off at the last minute.

Deanna

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would convince myself to look for scholarships and internships early. The reason why I didn't attend the school I wanted was due to financial restraints. Although I recieved some financial aid, it wasn't enough. If I had started searching and applying for scholarships earlier, my dream school might have been affordable. Internships are a valuable way to gain experience. Since I already knew what my dream job is, a corporate lawyer, I should have made efforts to look into internships in a related field. By doing so, it would give me a competitive edge over other political science students and would also help me create valuable networking opportunities.

The school is almost half commuters. Consequently, there are few big school events and lacks a campus community feeling. It is hard to get involved because clubs are inconsisent and barely functioning. If you are a social person wanting to get involved in the community, I don't recommend going here.

The transportation is horrible. Buses are never on time and are completely unreliable. The absolute worse part is the amount of cuts to all programs except science and engineering majors. Although the budget cuts have hit everyone hard, the only ones suffering are the social sciences.

Ella

The is a very, very large amount of students from the middle east and asia.

The is a very, very large amount of students from the middle east and asia.

I have gained knowledge about the job market, as well as of the science world. Also, i have learned about the importance of contributing to ones society,not only by volunteering, but by using ones knowledge efficiently and correctly to execute the skills one has gained. My college experience so far has been very valuable because it taught me how to be independent, and be responsible for myself and my actions. Also it taught be the importance of enjoying every day but at the same time considering my actions and th eoutcome they might have on my future.

The lack of help and academic support from professor and TAs.

The sciences and mathematics departments are so important to the school, as it has it's own teaching hospital, that the school holds it's students to a higher standard. This challenges the studets to work harder, and better. This discipline along with the URECA program for undergrad research, Stony Brook is presents an atmosphere where students get hands on experience and real world applications to what they are learning in the classroom.

The professors are some of the best in their fields. They not only know the material, they have extensive experience in the field, and they have a lot of hands on learning that you can't learn from a book. Many of the professors teach cutting edge, new ideas, amny that they themselvs have worked on.

My experience at Stony Brook has been indescribible. My professors, most notably, my anthropology professor last semester, have encouraged me, been there at any point in time where I needed extra help outside of class. This has led me to have a great relationship with some of the professors in my major department. They have been so influential, so encouraging, so ready to listen and give advice, that they were some of the poeple whom helped me make a decision on the career I have decided o pursue. Because of their help and guidance I feel secure knowing that I can become a forensic anthropologist, that highly respected anthropologists in their own right, believe in me, believe that I can be one of them. Their encouragement and advice has been invaluable to me and I can only hope to be such a mentor to students when I am in their position.

Samuel

My college experience has led me to understand that people are so much more different when you are actually living with them as opposed to just going to classes with them. Also i understand that in order to maintain educational integrity I not only have to work hard but to devote myself to doing that work as diligently as possible.

Despite certain facts not supporting this, it would seem that most of the school is Asian. So a person who is prejudice against that ethnicity would not faire well.

The kind of person that is interested in high diversity within the school environment. Also, an interest in the science field does help considering that the school is highly focused in that area

Classie

What I have gotten out of my college experience, is how to give my future patient’s the best care that they want and deserve. I have also learned how to be more optimistic whether the situation is good or bad for the patient. Going through college helped me to gain my independence and it helped me to mature. I believe that with my college experience I have gained charisma. The main thing that I gotten out of my college is that hard works pays off at the end of the day. What has made my experience so valuable for me is, knowing when I graduate, that every day I will have impacted someone’s life in a great way for them to hopefully have a successful recovery. My college education is so important to me because I was not able to attend school in the fall because I did not have the money which made me have to find a job which I am not happy with. It showed me how important my degree is to finish and what jobs I will be eligible for if I do not obtain this degree, I am very determined to work hard

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.