Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Gemma

My classmates are dedicated to academic success and to setting the competitive bar extremely high; however, they often lose sight of the importance of enjoying and experiencing life.

I have been able to truly explore all regions of my academic interests, and have been presented opportunities that I would not have received had I not attended college, such as emoployment, internships, and rewarding volunteer programs.

I wish I had known that they were going to close my campus (Southampton), because I would never have wanted to attend a university as cuthroat and aggressive as the main campus of Stony Brook.

Rami

The kind of person who should attend this school is a very career-oriented person or a person who is very social. Two great things about my school are that the academic programs are very good and provide students the knowledge and experience necessary for their future career goals and aspirations. THe school is also very good with regards to social life, and meeting a lot of new friends. There are a lot of clubs and organizations to meet new people and obtain new connections.

The education programs, the faculty and staff. The people are very nice and friendly; both the professors and the students. Professors are very openend to offering academic assistance to students who need it. The Professors really do seem to care about the students and their success and they are very open to helping all the students in whatever they may need academically.

My college was experience was very beneficial and worth while and I am very glad that I attened. The two main things I received from my undergraduate college experience was a good academic background and knowledge, and I also made a lot of good friends and aquiantaces. I am very proud my academic achievements from my undergraduate college. I graduated in June of 2010 with a 3.78 GPA and acquired departmental honors. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, and I minored in Peace and Justice Studies. I learned quite alot in college, which I hope to use in my future career goals and aspirations. I plan on attend graduate school in the spring of 2011 studying Public Policy. I am very proud of all my academic accomplishments and the professors were very nice and cordial. They were very open to providing academic assistance to all students, and I found that very helpful. The main thing I received from my undergraduate was a good work ethic and the nowledge I need for graduate school and for my future career; whcih will be in public policy and the political arena.

Kaitlin

The best part about attending college is the independence and social experience. You learn to do things on your own , at first it is a bit scary being by yourself and not having anyone to depend on. After a little while that fear leaves and you are a stronger and more confident person beacuse of it. The people you meet at college is also a great experience that everyone should try, there are all different kinds of people out there and you never know who you will come across. At my current university there is an overwhelming sense of belonging, everyone is there for the same reasons and not once have i ever felt left out or out of place. The people are nice and the atmosphere is welcoming. It is worth every penny.

The worst thing about the school is when it rains these giant puddles form on the walkways, it is like crossing a river when you walk through them.

The campus is beautiful in the spring time. The trees start to blossom and the colors are just magnificent. The foliage in he fall is just as stunning. The faculty and staff are extremely nice and so helpful, they are always willing to take time out to help you with your problem.

Rheannonn

I have learned in college more about myself than I would have otherwise. It's been a crash-course in me. Living at home, you always have a safety net, some place to return to. Here, you have to go out and find that net before you can use it. I suppose that is the most important thing that I have learned about since starting college. The academics are really really important, don't get me wrong. But college seems to be more about taking those academics, and finding the you that can use them appropriately.

So, okay. This school is rather large. But that's the good part about it. There are so many people to get to know that you never have to worry about not getting along with someone. You always have the ability to get to know someone new, from somewhere new. Another good part about this schools size is that they offer so many different majors. If you come here, you will never feel trapped into one major. And besides. Did I mention it was really inexpensive?

A roommate contract sounds corny and absolutely cheesy, but take advantage of one. This could solve huge problems for you, even if you don't suspect that you will have any. Just do it. Also, bring lots and lots of snacks (the food is good, but you'll want stuff in your dorm). And learn the buses before it's cold! And speaking of colds, bring tissues and medicine in case you or a friend gets sick. Cough drops will save your life!

The main thing I have gained from my college experience is experience. I now better understand some of the workings of the corporate office and this has helped me to transition into a higher working level. I am no longer considered "entry level" and my supervisor has seen that I am incredibly dedicated to my future. Going back to school was the best decision I ever made and I am eternally grateful for the lessons I have learned that have benefitted me and will continue to benefit me for the rest of my life.

Nathaniel

I have recieved a whole new life from college. I have met many possitive influences and learned how to be self-relient and responsible. I have been through a rough life as teenager and college has given me a great oppurtunity to make something great of myself. I am currently at a community colllege but i plan on transferring to a university. The degree i plan on earning will take quite a while to achieve and unfortunately i am extremely tight on funds. Any scholarship i can recieve will greatly help me on this acedemic journey.

Cassandra

The worst thing about the school is probably the teaching assistants. I have found that the ones I currently have do not help me to learn the material and have a hard time explaining things when questions are asked. I find myself going to the help center instead of asking the TA in my recitations for help.

I wish I had known not to buy books before the semester starts. Some of my professors don't use the books and one of them even changed the book he wanted to use at the last minute. Also I have found out about other avenues to buying books such as Amazon or other used book sites that are much cheaper than our on campus book store.

While I haven't been in college very long (less than 1 semester), I feel like it has already been a life changing experience to me. I grew up in a town with a population of 1000 people. This town was almost all caucasian christains, leaving me with a less than stellar cultural intelligence. Coming to SBU I have learned about so many different cultures and feel more well rounded because of it. I believe that the diversity here is one of the best selling points of the school and I would speak highly of this university to anybody. Aside from that, SBU is helping me realize my dream of being a marine biologist and is pushing me one step closer to acheiving that life goal. So far I appreciate all the opportunities that college has to offer me and I look forward to the next 6 years that I will be spending here.

Kathrine

Science, Mathematics, Computer Engineering. Pre-med

Science, Mathematics, Computer Engineering. Pre-med

I have learned much about mathematics and education throughout my attendance at Stony Brook University. I have been given the opportunity have meaningful conversations with professors who are well known in the mathematics world. I have also been given the opportunity to explore other areas of interest through elective courses and extra-curricular activities. I have been able to create long-lasting friendships and important connections to the mathematics education field. By attending Stony Brook University I have been given the opportunity to succeed professionally. Upon leaving the University I will be confident that I am prepared to educate and guide young minds. I am grateful of the opportunities that the University has provided for me have a happy and successful future.

Natsumi

College expereince is not simply to learn new subjects or ways of thinking but also interacting with people. What one learns in class is important but the connections you make in those classes are equally important as well. I learned new ways of thinking, gaining skills and ideas but steps in overcoming the wall of my anti social behavior. It may help that I truly enjoy school but attending classes and participating and in class activities I have been able to express what I think. I have slowly but surely been able to put forth my ideas and views to other instead of sitting and saying nothing. I have gained more confidence and social skills needed to interact with my peers expanding my inter and intrapersonal skills. Attending college is a valuable experience not just for the schooling but for the social experience as well.

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.