Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Stony Brook University

Media

Looking back at the situation of my life as a high school student and all the life changing events that surrounded it I could have benefited from finding a strong female role model. My high school self was a good student with no mother and an over worked father lacking the support of extended family. As a now strong women in the nursing workforce I would have told my highschool self how important it is to get involved with activities of interest while in school. This discussion would be supported with words of empowerment to pursue scholarships that would enable admission to college. It would also be important to motivate my highschool self by providing the various resources to support work towards entrance to college and encouraging this thinking half way through high school. It would be challenging to stress the importance of working towards an education versus building a social life as most of the students in my high school lacked motivation to continue on to college. A discussion on how putting work into pursing and obtaining a good education might lead to a happier and healthier life full of many rewards might have been reinforcement to previous discussions.

I would have seen a benefit in learning about the pros and cons of distance learning from a previous StonyBrook distance learner. It would have also been nice to have a pre-admission phone conversation with a current or previous distance student. A phone call with a student with distance experience would enable a new student to ask questions about how this type of environment will work into their lives. I would have also benefited from knowing all the resources available to distance and on campus students prior to attendance in an attempt to utilize all the benefits offered.

I was an online distance program student and wish that I could have had a more integrated experience. I see all the people that identify with their college sports teams and I didn't have that urge because I felt so distant. I would have liked if the school kept their distance students just as connected as their students on campus. I could have also benefited from a shadow or mentor upon our visit to the campus, this may have brought us to feeling closer to the college life there.

John

My classmates are extremely competitive, but limited by the school's resources.

My classmates are extremely competitive, but limited by the school's resources.

I love that my school is on the rise. Even though it's a relatively new university, my degree is becoming more and more valuable every day, simply because it's becoming more favorably looked upon.

Get involved in everything you can. Try new things. Take leaps. Even if you don't like it, you just cross it off your list and move on to your next interest. You will find your niche. But don't let your work ethic slip! Some of the best advice I ever heard was "Treat college like a 40 hour a week job: if you don't spend 40 hours in class, spend the rest of the 40 hours in that week studying outside of class." Take leaps, make mistakes, do some stupid things! Don't squander your college experience!

Adebayo

Be ready with a plan, write it down. Know what you want then go for it. Everything is possible. Don't doubt yourself, everyone does, none need to. What is next is exciting. Walk froward with welcoming arms. Mom and dad won't be around so much, this is your chance to show them that they have nothing to worry about. Try new things. Focus on your studies but focus more on your relationships with people. Be kind to everyone you meet. You will be surprised where you end up doing the most learning. Don't dwell in your mistakes because they aren’t mistakes at all, they are just more lessons that college has to teach. Enjoy the moment, each and every single one, you have no idea how often you will visit these upcoming memories. Enjoy as much as you can so you don’t spend the future wishing to return to the past. Focus on learning the things that make you happy so that you may practice the things that give you purpose. Fall in love if you can, you aren’t too young and life is supposed to be fun. Trust me, I know you. Cheers.

The type of person that should consider Stony Brook is a self starter that does not need the guidance of others. A person open to diversity will enjoy the campus as it harbors various ethnicities, religions and cultures. An individual that is not easily influenced by the experience of others will flourish as students tend to be pessimistic. This person will have to come to the school with their own inspiration as the school does very little to add influences outside of academia into the lives of its students.

Amber

Strong diversity here with staff that pushes you to succeed

Strong diversity here with staff that pushes you to succeed

Be bold and don't stop! Don't take the break and go straight to college. You CAN do it and you WILL excel at it. It will change your life. It may not seem like a big deal now and you may feel like other things are more important, but you will be amazed at what you'll do with the degree. You're smarter than you think you are and I know you can do this. Don't be afraid to speak up, lean in and be yourself. You're going to change the world.

Professors not realizing that every student isn't 18 years old with no life experience

Ibn-Umar

Stony Brook University is mostly a science-based research university hidden in the suburbs of Long Island with a very diverse student base, strong academics and highly qualified professors but it's not necessarily a college town and thus lacks a vibrant social scene.

Stony Brook University has a little bit of everything for different kinds of people. It's a school that really welcomes everyone to its doors.

To start, I would have told myself to be more connected with my friends from high school. I realize now that wherever I go, I'm going to make new friends but it's just nice to keep in touch with people. Also, I would have warned myself about how expensive college textbooks and supplies were going to be. If I had known this crucial bit of information, I probably would have gotten a job earlier in high school. My final reminder to my past self would be to tell him that college days can fly by even faster than high school days. You get so caught up in the rush of things that you forget to keep track of time. You come in as an inexperienced freshman and then, just like that, you're at your graduation ceremony receiving your diploma ready to take another giant leap into the world.

Adam

I'm learning this applies to most parts of life. Some of the people are quite frustrating. Stonybrook is an incredible academic institution with proven curricula for intense study, and is a perfect fit for hardworking and self motivated students. The academic environment encourages personal enrichment, so it's frustrating that not every shares that mindset. Some students complain that courses are hard, like they expect getting into college to immediately hand them a degree and get an important job in their desired field. I'm discouraged and frustrated by lack of ambition and laziness.

Dear Adam, You wrote a letter to yourself at the end of junior year and opened it the summer of your senior year. This won't go back in time, but one purpose of reflecting is to act as if I'm actually talking to my former self so that I learn the lesson I'm trying to impart. I want to ask you some questions. Why did you only apply to two colleges? What changed from junior year when you wanted to apply to ten colleges? The purpose of these questions is not invoking an answer. The purpose is to inspire thoughtfulness. You react quickly to your impulses and lack self control. You avoid difficult obstacles and consider time a burden. My advice to you is to take a breath, momentarily stop time, and think. You are smart, and thinking is the best way to understand your values and adhere to personal principles. You are distracted by high school, but time goes on and the decisions you half heartedly make will catch up with you in a present moment one day. You can't avoid this, but you can prepare for it. That's how you can be content.

I wish I had known that eventually work out. I transferred from University of Michigan to Nassau Community College, and now to Stonybrook University. I was introspective from my first day in college, and uncertain as time progressed that I was in the right place to get the most out of my education and pursue the most rewarding degree. My passion is learning, but my drive was gone with other concerns hindering my freedom like finances and apprehension about core requirements. In this process, I learned that hard work pays off, not materially, but in terms of personal rewards.

Matthew

Someone who is looking for an exceptional experience in the fine arts.

Someone who is looking for an exceptional experience in the fine arts.

Throughout my senior year of high school, I was bloated from the high marks I received in Honors Calculus, Marine Biology, and AP Computer Science. I concocted the notion that I was a scientist, and I was going to cure cancer with a biomedical engineering innovation. Yet, my true passion has been to become a lawyer. Running from the humanities, I applied to mostly science universities. This is when I should have heard, “Don't forget yourself. You hate science.” If I had received this message, it would have impacted me two-fold. The immediate impact would have been on my college application process. I would have applied to more and or different universities. This would have given me options to contemplate. The lasting effect revolves around class selection. I would have not taken as many science courses in my freshman year of college. Without those courses, I would have had a significant boost to my GPA and increased space for classes I enjoy. I would love the chance to gain a greater degree of happiness and intellectual development. A meaningful difference in my life could have been made with these six words, hypothetically speaking.

There is a great community in my building. I have fun and am involved on campus. Our Football team is not horrible.

Gabriela

Do not think you can do well in college doing the same amount of work you did in highschool! The work that was able to pull you an A in highschool may not even be enough to get you a college C. There are exceptions, but for the most part, you're on your own in college. Teachers won't care if you do well or not as long as they're getting paid. Also, with all the adjusting you'll have to do to your new lifestyle on campus, do not get too distracted. Learn to manage your time effectively from the beginning. There is time for everything, and in the long run, what will matter the most are your grades. But that doesn't mean spend every second of free time you have in the library. You should also get involved in college. Clubs and extracirricular activities will set you apart when it comes time to write your resume. Most importantly, don't just study something that you think will get you money in the future. Find something you love, and with passion and hard work, money will follow. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

If you cannot thrive in big classes, do not attend.

The campus life at SBU was so enthusiastic. I visited during Earthstock, which is a festival celebrating our planet (recycling, hula-hoop classes on the grass, a strawberry-themed festival) and it really spoke to me. The campus was so alive and vibrant that I knew Stony Brook was the right school for me. And on an unrelated note-- there is a train station straight to the city right on campus!

My school is really diverse. I've never met so many exchange students (both foreign and within the USA) in so many majors. We have everything from Theatre to Physics, from Studio Art to BioChem. If you like something, there is a place for you. We have a Fencing Club, a Science Fiction Forum, a LGBTA alliance, and so much more. We also have a thriving athletics program and a very talented marching band! If you can think of it, Stony Brook has a club for it.

When I transitioned to college, I forgot to take care of myself. I got so wrapped up in school and my social life that I never took a day to just de-stress, relax, and do something I enjoyed. I was bouncing back and forth between classes, clubs, parties, roommate gatherings, freshman orientations, and everything else I could get my hands on. I loved my new freedom to go out whenever I wanted to do whatever I wanted. I didn't sleep enough and my meals were less than nutritious. I'd eat what was offered at a party or a luncheon with an important staff member, but I'd skimp on dining hall food in favor of fast, unhealthy treats. If I could go back to my high school self, I'd tell her to relax a little. I'd remind her that it's OK to have a day to yourself to just sleep in, read a book or play a video game, and not go out with anyone. It isn't anti social to take time for yourself, and it took me messing up my entire freshman year to learn that.

Skyler

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; those who seek no improvement of of their academic success, or wish to start anew; this college is not for you; then again neither is any opportunity of greater education. Despite the peering reputation, Suffolk County Community College has an honorable hold on achievement. In faith I trusted them to feed the evergrowing mind of the Poet Scholar; in which allows a further progression of my entity.

Your life, our life; a perpetual digression, so it seems. In comfort, you’ll understand how our life works. I shall not speak of the necessity of improvement, for there is no need in so. You may perceive your future entity as an empty promise, but I do implore and beseech you, to keep our name dear to your heart; Skyler. We are scholars; we ought to thank our mother for such a Dutching name. My simple speech is that of insurance, continue as you are. Continue writing wooing poetry, your romantic essence will serge from heart to vein, vein to wound, wound to skin, skin to pen, pen to ink, ink to paper. They’ll fall in love, as so will you. You will fall, and then rise, and then to fall again, and rise again. You’ll experience the cycle, as did I. From one Skyler Jon Thayer to another, just do what you do best.

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; the worst is the idiotic drivers on campus. Even the best will become the worst; it only takes minutes. The most clear of heads will become the most chaotic of them all. It’s praised that safety is first, but in the mouths of the self-concerned students, they rage, “me, me, me!”

Stony Brook University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.