Upland, IN
Taylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Taylor University

Lexie

My classmates are profoundly insightful, imaginitve, creative, unique, and know how to think outside the box.

My senior year was spent working hard to obtain the money I needed to attend Taylor. Though I received enough, I would tell myself to work harder and save more for the following years. In other regards, I would tell myself to think outside the box and make my own discoveries instead of just being a parrot, listening to information in class and simply repeating it on a test. College is much more than that. Genuine learning is analizing information presented to you and investigating that information yourself. I would also encourage myself to further develop the arts of self-discipline and responsibility. Doing projects the night before they're due may work in high school, but not in college. Time managment, self-discipline, and being responsible for oneself and one's actions are principals that may have faded in popularity long ago, but their importance will never fade. Success in college is dependent upon these skills. I would tell myself to have fun, but also warn me about the social issues that can so easily lead to procrastination and distraction from acheiving my goals. Hard work, discipline, learning, and focus are the things I'd advice myself to develop.

There is nothing really wrong with my school. I enjoy pretty much everything. My only complaints would be about the borderline outrageous pricetag and the rule about not dancing while enrolled.

Sierra

The best thing about Taylor University is the intentional community. Every person who comes here quickly finds a group of students that they connect with and feels unified with the entire student body, as well, as with professors. The student/teacher relationship is outstanding and unlike any other college I have visited. They care about where you are at in life mentally, spiritually, physically and emotionally. This makes attending classes much more enjoyable and when you are enjoying your time in class, you learn a lot more than if you were there grudgingly.

Anyone who is serious about learning academically and growing spiritually should attend Taylor University. The student body is unified and there are no cliques. Therefore, any personality that one may have is accepted! The classes will not be easy and, therefore, one must be dedicated to his studies and willing to be stretched beyond what expected. There is a lot of room to grow at Taylor University. One has to be able to accept failure, because with challenging academics, one will not be perfect constantly.

I would tell myself to work harder to save money for college. Taylor University, especially, is not cheap, and having some money set aside would make a huge difference. In conjunction with that, educate yourself as much as you can about the financial aid process, ask a lot of questions, and act upon opportunities quickly. Also, as you get to know those you are living with, be open with them, they will be your friends for life. They are caring and supportive, nothing worth worrying about. Living on campus definitely plays a huge role in getting adjusted, as well as getting involved in various activities. These are a couple of the best ways to get acclimated to college life.

The community is great! Everyone is so warm, friendly, and welcoming to each other and new students. They are willing to come alongside you in whatever way you need, help with homework, and prayer and support.

Naphtalee

My classmates, for the most part, are very bright students who are serious about their studies but not so engrossed in their studies that they can't have fun learning and interacting with each other.

Don't freak out. All throughout your senior year, and especially around graduation everybody will make a huge deal about how you are leaving home, forever, and will now make a new life for yourself. Though all this is true I feel adults make too big of a deal of leaving home and beginning college. As a high-school graduate I felt that my life would never be the same, that the whole big world was in front of me and I had to fight my way though it. The truth of the matter was, I went off to college, had more responsibility, more work, less sleep and more adventures. But I was still the same person, I still enjoyed the same things, home was still the same and I did not become lost in the big huge world. College is a huge step in life but not nearly as big as I feel most high-school students think. My advice would be to, be prepared for the extra responsibility but know that you will be fine and, most importantly, enjoy the adventure that awaits you.

Someone who is not serious about their Christain faith and academic learning should not attend this school. One of Taylor’s mottos is "the Integration of Faith and Learning." The academic bar is set quite high and in the majority of the classes you have to work hard to earn an A. Taylor also strives to build up leaders for the future and expects their students to demonstrate Christian character and be prepared to reach out to the community. If one is not prepared to agree and carry out these two things this school is probably not for them.

Eric

In high school, I was a slacker. I failed my freshman year and had to retake it. At the end of my sophomore year and 3 years of high school I knew I was ready to move on. I crammed in junior and senior classes into my 4th year to get enough credits to move onto collage. Collage was the push I needed to go in the right direction. It gave me a goal, and now I know what I want to do with my life. I want to be a Math teacher and go on from community college to study at Rutgers. Not only did the teachers motivate me, but the social environment has been encouraging as well. There are people here that understand my hardships and that are finding themselves too. I’m very fortunate to have this experience to learn and be successful.

Meredith

They are unique, athletic, creative, outgoing, friendly, happy, fun, interesting, talented, smart, hard-working (for the most part) and determined.

I have learned a lot since I set foot on Taylor's campus. I arrived, excited and in awe of the fact that I was here. I was thrilled, but I was also scared. For the first time, I was away from my family for a long time: a twelve-hour drive away. All I had was a Tracfone and the Internet to communicate with them. For the first time in my life, I was on my own; for the first time in my life, I was not sure of myself. I knew I was here because Professor Hensley liked my writing, but I lost a lot of confidence in my ability to write -- among others. It was scary. Living twelve hours away from home prevented me from running away. I had to face my fears, face the challenge of college, independence, and writing for someone other than myself. Facing these fears was the only way I could overcome them. Coming to Taylor forced me to face them. Since that first day, stepping on campus and feeling my confidence sink to my feet, I've become a better writer, I've learned a lot, and I've grown much stronger.

Anthony

Best thing about Taylor: Community. It seems like it is practically impossible to find a perfect group of friends. If you don't get along with people on your wing it's not a horrible thing, it's very easy to meet new people on campus. One thing I would change: The Life Together Covenant (LTC). This is a contract every student is required to sign at the beginning of every fall semester. It's pretty much the rule book. There are a few rules I would want to change, such as: no dancing, no tobacco even if you're 18 and no drinking even if you're 21. I feel like these rules are over-restricting our freedoms. I can understand that Taylor is a private Christian University, but I feel like the students are mature enough to make their own decisions in whether to partake in those activities or not. Taylor has around 1900 students in a given school year. I feel like it's a little too small for me. Yet then again, I have met or heard about almost every student, which reminds me of how my high school was. Some people love the size of Taylor while others hate it. I'm personally apathetic about it. When I tell people I go to Taylor, the majority of them say they have never heard of it. I spend the most time on campus in my hall. The guys that live in my building are amazing, and it's great to be able to walk into almost any room and just hang out with anyone. That's the beauty of out "Community." Taylor is located in Upland, Indiana. This small town consists of an ice cream shop, about four gas stations, a general store, and a subway. We are about 10 minutes of cornfields from any other town. To see a movie or go bowling, we have to drive about a half an hour. No comment about the administration. No recent controversies. School pride fluctuates with the sport. Sometimes there are a lot of fans at games, sometimes the stands are less than half-full. Something unusual about Taylor: As far as I know, we are the only private religious school that does not require the students to attend chapel during the week or church on Sundays. One experience that I'll always remember is Silent Night. This is where almost every student dresses in sleepwear and goes to a basketball game in December. Our entire side of the bleachers stay completely silent until our team scores our 10th point, in which we all explode in cheers and screaming. We don't stop screaming, standing or cheering for the rest of the game. After the game, we all go to a Christmas party in our dining commons. The night altogether is extremely fun Most common Taylor student complaint: The rules regarding the visiting hours of girls in guys dorms and guys in girl dorms. A lot of students feel that we should have more nights to visit, and later nights on the weekends.

Last year, we had only one "out-f-the-closet" homosexual student as far as I knew. He lived on my wing and I didn't act like anything was different about him. The sad part about it was, a lot of students felt like it was taboo to talk with/about him since he was openly gay at a Christian school. I didn't like this, because Christians believe all people are sinner, and in that light his "sin" was being homosexual. In a biblical sense this doesn't make him any different than me or the people that ignored him. I became upset with the fact that some "christians" treated him differently than any other kid on campus. Thankfully, the majority of the student body agree with how I felt about the subject, and treated him no differently. I feel like an atheist would feel out of place at Taylor, but that doesn't mean an atheist shouldn't come. Taylor is welcome to any prospective student that is interested in finding out what a Christian is, and why we live our lives out for Christ. Sure there are "cliques," but the majority of the students aren't rude to others who aren't in their group of friends. Most of the student body have friends in all kinds of different social groups, and people are happy. Most students come from suburban living areas, but there are a good amount from rich upbringings as well as not so rich. A lot of students (such as myself) come from suburban Chicago. Most prevalent financial background of students is upper-level middle class. A lot of students are politically aware, and I would say the majority lean right.

I almost transferred out of Taylor because of the rules, but I decided to stay because of the friends I made.

No, and this is the most annoying stereotype. It completely ruins making friends that happen to be female. This one is somewhat true. A good amount of students do in fact meet and marry their spouse while at Taylor. Not true (for the most part)

Professors will know every one of their students' names within 2 weeks of class. I'ts great because you can go in during office hours and they will personally help you out. They even keep track of your progress on a personal level. Favorite class: COS 104 (intro to computer science, everyone takes it, it's like a crash course in sound, video, web editing, and basic programming, it's a ton of fun with friends in the class) Least favorite class: Calc 2. Did not see eye to eye with the professor and things got hazy. Students often study about 14 hours a week. Class participation is welcomed and very common. Taylor students have occasional intellectual conversations outside of class, but usually it's avoided. Students usually aren't competitive academically. Most unique class: Foundations of Christian Thought. The prof. is ridiculously smart and brings about a lot of theological questions that open students' minds to things they never realized before. I can and have spend a lot of time outside of class with my professors, because they are welcoming and recommend meeting with them. The academic requirements are tough, but reachable. Taylor's education is geared toward having their graduates be well-learned, self aware Christians. Taylor is trying to prepare their students for the world after they graduate, whether a student is looking for a career, or looking for a way to use their life to serve the Lord (such ass missions or pastoral work).

Taylor students become very involved with activities. I am not a part of any organizations, but I know a lot of people who are, and they thoroughly enjoy it. 99% of all dorm rooms are either open or unlocked at any time of the day/night. This is because of our "Community" aspect. We all get to know every single person on our wing, as well as become socially comfortable with those people. I have only heard once or twice where someone got an iPod or money stolen from their rooms, and that was when a group of non-students visited. Students trust their neighbors, and it's a great feeling when the majority of the rooms on a wing are open and welcoming. Athletic events are sporadic in popularity. Like I said, a lot of fans can show one game, and the next would have barely any fans. Guest speakers usually come and speak at Chapel, in which the majority of students attend already. The dating scene can either be awesome or awkward, I feel like it's a coin toss. The social "norms" of dating at Taylor make it very hard to casually court someone. It is nothing like the real world of dating. I met my closest friends through class and by living on the same wing as them. This is the usual way Taylor students meet their "besties." If i'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm either playing video games with a friend or hanging out in the hallway. People do not party often. Any kind of partying (including legal) is prohibited by Taylors LTC. There is an underground group of people who do party, but I feel like this group of people do not ever reach more than 40 people. No frats, no sororities. Non-drinking activities is what the majority of students partake in during the weekend. These things include wing events, pick-a-dates (big groups of guy/girls hang out somewhere), go see a movie, play music, stargazing or hit up Ivanhoes (the local ice cream shop).

Anytime a guy is seen hanging out or studying with a girl on campus, word instantly spreads that they are interested in each other. Students go to Taylor to find their spouse. There even is a pseudo-joke for Senior guys to get a "Ring by Spring," as in, they "should" pop the question in their final spring semester. Single Taylor guys are always looking for a girlfriend.

Abigail

My classmates for the most part are people who care about God, life, the world and how they can be an integral part of the fast paced society of today.

One of the greatest things about Taylor University is the sense of community. Now, after going through all the orientation and attending Taylor for a year, this has been drilled into me and may seem a bit cliche. But that does not make it untrue. After being at Taylor for a year, I can honestly say that I feel that I am a part of the community.

When I started college, I met so many people. I learned everyone's name and memorized all the faces, but I had a very difficult time getting past the surface. I didn't know how. About half way through the school year, I figured out why. I didn't know myself. Because of this past year of college, I improved myself in a few different ways. I not only made myself a better person by gaining more knowlege, but I was able to learn about myself. Because of this, I've been able to dig past the surface. I have those special friends that will help me through the next three years to help me push to do my best at everything I try and to make it through my goals for a brighter future.

Blake

Diligent students who are predomiantly religiously and politically conservative. Midwest values and midwest work ethic. Some are children of missionaries and pastors. Most seek to follow God's direction for their life.

In preparing for a life career, I have meet many wonderful and faith filled fellow students and faculty who have assisted my in my sport, education, career goal and most of all my faith. I have enjoyed the players on the football team who have come from about ten different states and territories and several other countries. This has opened up to me other cultures in a sport that is a truely American sport. The are wonderful fellow students whom I admire.

The emphasis on faith as a part of the education, work and life.

Matthew

Taylor U is great because they have an amazing way of integrating faith and learning into one speciman as well as an outstanding computer science department.

So far I have learned the meaning to responsibilty and the idea of working hard. I feel like TU has also helped me to grow spiritually and as a person.

I feel that this school is great for any person because the professors are great and the amount of learning is high. I do not believe this school would be a good fit for a student who wants to party or someone not willing to ackowledge the Christian belief.

Taylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.