Annapolis, MD
United States Naval Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend United States Naval Academy

Connor

The United States Naval Academy is known for producing highly qualified Navy and Marine Corps Officers. The school is restrictive, as it is a military school, and it does not allow for off Campus Housing. Academically, USNA is very competitive to even the Ivy Leagues. The school has small class sizes averaging around 12, and it 's academic support programs are unparalleled. There is always someone to help you if you need help academically, physically, or mentally. I have never felt unsafe as the school is fully guarded with the city of Annapolis. If you need a break from your room, you can visit Downtown Annapolis during your time off. The food is not always the greatest, but the experience at USNA is unparalleled. I would highly recommend attending the United States Naval Academy.

Rebecca

Tough school to get in, but rewarding. The people are what make it worth it. The professors are always well-qualified and will often go out of their way to meet with you and help you study and succeed. There are lots of programs in which you can get tutored, such as midshipmen tutors and also they hire people to come and teach afterschool.

Caitlyn

When visiting colleges during my junior and senior year of high school, I was drawn to the Naval Academy for many reasons. The Naval Academy provides its Midshipman with world-class education and Division I athletics. More importantly, the Academy appeals to me because of its many opportunities for character development. The Academy is known to overload Midshipmen with academic, athletic, and military obligations. This teaches Midshipmen to manage time extremely well and work effectively under pressure. Additionally, the Naval Academy culture reinforces the importance of camaraderie. Within my first year, I have learned that it is worth helping out a fellow shipmate, even if it meant compromising our already busy schedules. Whereas in high school, I was driven by personal efficiency and successes, as a Midshipman, I am more than willing to give up an hour of my sleep to help my classmates with academics or help my shipmates accomplish a common mission.

Zachary

The United States Naval Academy is a great place to be from and not a great place to be. I don't enjoy the institution but the people you meet there are second to none. The people make it worth it, I would have left long ago had it not been for the people. It is a military school and you are in the military so just prepare yourself. It is the real deal.

Jonathan

The Naval Academy is a great place to be from. However, it is pretty difficult going here. There are many things that make it unlike other universities and some of those are good and a lot of them are difficult on students. People here are very highly motivated and knowing what comes after graduation is what keeps many students here.

Meghan

My school is a demanding school that challenges students morally, mentally and physically in everything we do both in school and on the sports fields.

The best advice that I could give to myself as a high school senior is to make decisions based on what I personally value and what makes me happiest. There are so many outside pressures that come into play when picking a college and then on to pick a major and so on and so forth. It is always important to keep in mind what I personally want, not what others want for me. If you make decisions to make someone else happy you will be unhappy yourself and then become stuff between a rock and hard place. These decisions will form the rest of your life past what you are living now. They will form who you become friends with, what kind of job you'll have and everything else that comes along with living in the real world. Your values are the most important when making decisions that will impact your entire life.

The Naval Academy has so many opprotunities. There is a club or sport or extracurricular activity for just about everything that allows you to pursue your passions. In the military aspects, there are so many opprotunities to interact with members of different countries and learning about their culture while being able to share about our culture as well.

Tyler

The students at the United States Naval Academy academically and physically excel in the majority of the endeavors that they are presented with. They are extremely smart and outgoing.

These will definitely be the happiest four years of your life. Unfortunately, these will also be some of the hardest, most arduous, years of your life too. In college you will feel on top of the world and utterly defeated (sometimes in the same day). Remember that you’re not doing anything wrong if you’re having a hard time. And before you jump to any conclusions about how much happier everyone else is, and how much more fun they’re having than you, go sit down and talk to a friend. You’d be surprised by how many people feel lost and directionless at least some point in their college careers.

Everything you need to know while at the Naval Academy will be taught to you during your freshman summer. The next four years will be a leadership laboratory where you will learn how to be a successful Naval Officer.

Rich

In my opinion the best thing here is the friendships you form with your classmates. Yes, the education, while very challenging, is extremely valuable, but I think forming friendships and learning how to lead those around you is the most important.

Most popular things here are varsity/intramural sports. The catch is everyone HAS to participate in at least some sort of sport. But intramurals are all what you make of them and can actually get pretty competitive. Glee Club has definitely picked up, along with many other activities that you would see on a civilian college campus.

You can pretty much find any type of person here. Over the past view years the Academy has been trying really hard to promote diversity, and from my time here I have met people from all over the country and world. While there are many of your typical psycho-military-how-is-there-anything-else-besides-the-naval-academy people, you can literally strike up a conversation with just about anyone. The mentality is that "we're all in it together" so everyone can empathize with one another. Of course, you'll come across many people with opposite personalities of your own, but it's just about impossible to not get along with anybody.

If you love science, math, and engineering, then this is the place for you. I was never interested in any of those subjects, and am currently an economics major, but still have to take many required technical courses. While calculus I is calculus I anywhere, it's still very different here at the academy. If you are very strong in math or science, the required courses will still probably give you a challenge. You must remember you do not have as nearly the amount of time normal college students get to study, so factoring a full courseload on top of a plethora of other activities is stressful to say the least.

That here everyone is all overachieving, ridiculously smart and athletic. We all had perfect SATs and have never failed at anything.

Brandon

The United States Naval Academy develops future naval officers morally, mentally, and physically, ensuring a sound educational foundation, peak physical fitness, and a strong moral character in order to serve as effective leaders and officers in the United States Navy and Marine Corps.

The United States Naval Academy thrives on teamwork and camaraderie. During students' four years at the Academy many hardships and challenging situations are presented in order to better prepare the students to be Naval officers. In order to complete these challenges and overcome the obstacles before them, students are forced to unite and stand together in order to create a group of people without weakness. The brotherhood that is forged between every student and the friendships created during the students “four years together by the bay” highlights the ideals and traditions of the Naval Academy and the naval service.

College is not easy. For the first time students are thrust from their home into a world where every meal is not made for them, their laundry is not magically clean every morning, and their friends and family are not there to help them with difficult situations. My greatest discovery at college was how you never really know how much you enjoy something until it is not there to enjoy. With that knowledge, I would tell myself as a high school senior to not take for granted anything that I had. I would tell myself to squeeze tighter and hold on longer during every hug; to laugh a little harder and a little louder with my friends; to roll on the floor with my dogs and give them an extra belly-rub; to slow-down and cherish the home cooked meals; to thank my parents and listen to them more; and to spend an extra hour under the stars talking about nothing with my girlfriend. College is new, exciting, and different. But there are no dogs to rub against you after school, no home-cooked meals to engorge yourself with, and no mom or dad to say I love you.

Richard

I've waited over ten years to attend this college. Sometime life can get in the way of your goals. With hard work, determination and patience, I am finally attending the school of my dreams. You just have to have a passion for what you believe in and never give up!

• $0

United States Naval Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.