United States Naval Academy Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for United States Naval Academy

Caitlyn

When visiting colleges during my junior and senior year of high school, I was drawn to the Naval Academy for many reasons. The Naval Academy provides its Midshipman with world-class education and Division I athletics. More importantly, the Academy appeals to me because of its many opportunities for character development. The Academy is known to overload Midshipmen with academic, athletic, and military obligations. This teaches Midshipmen to manage time extremely well and work effectively under pressure. Additionally, the Naval Academy culture reinforces the importance of camaraderie. Within my first year, I have learned that it is worth helping out a fellow shipmate, even if it meant compromising our already busy schedules. Whereas in high school, I was driven by personal efficiency and successes, as a Midshipman, I am more than willing to give up an hour of my sleep to help my classmates with academics or help my shipmates accomplish a common mission.

Sean

The United States Naval Academy is a place where students arrive with hopes of reaching and extending beyond their perceived potential. There are many opportunities for leadership and development in preparation for service in the U.S. Armed Forces, and we are constantly held to high standards in the areas of morals, mental attitude, overall aptitude, and physical abilities. However, the Naval Academy can be a hard place to attend, especially coming straight out of high school because of the restrictions of common freedoms, the disciplined environment, and the overall culture struggles at times. Nonetheless, I am happy with my decision to attend, it is a place that aligns with my own intrinsic values and a place I will forever cherish.

Zachary

The United States Naval Academy is a great place to be from and not a great place to be. I don't enjoy the institution but the people you meet there are second to none. The people make it worth it, I would have left long ago had it not been for the people. It is a military school and you are in the military so just prepare yourself. It is the real deal.

Jonathan

The Naval Academy is a great place to be from. However, it is pretty difficult going here. There are many things that make it unlike other universities and some of those are good and a lot of them are difficult on students. People here are very highly motivated and knowing what comes after graduation is what keeps many students here.

Angelina

The United States Naval Academy is an institution unmatched by any other. Since it's a military institution, the trials that all students face are constantly physically and mentally draining. Even though much of it, especially the first year, is exhausting, the unique part of it is the culture of the people. The 15 credit hours per semester policy, high academic standards, the Physical Readiness Tests every semester, peer ranking system, and the military obligations that come with being at the Academy take a toil on every student in one way or another, but it brings everyone together. Regardless of if someone was prior enlisted, went to the Naval Academy Preparatory School or another university before, or came directly after graduating high school, everyone comes in on a clean slate. There is no easier place to find lifelong bonds and friendships that carry long into one's naval career and beyond.

Rebecca

Tough school to get in, but rewarding. The people are what make it worth it. The professors are always well-qualified and will often go out of their way to meet with you and help you study and succeed. There are lots of programs in which you can get tutored, such as midshipmen tutors and also they hire people to come and teach afterschool.

Connor

The United States Naval Academy is known for producing highly qualified Navy and Marine Corps Officers. The school is restrictive, as it is a military school, and it does not allow for off Campus Housing. Academically, USNA is very competitive to even the Ivy Leagues. The school has small class sizes averaging around 12, and it 's academic support programs are unparalleled. There is always someone to help you if you need help academically, physically, or mentally. I have never felt unsafe as the school is fully guarded with the city of Annapolis. If you need a break from your room, you can visit Downtown Annapolis during your time off. The food is not always the greatest, but the experience at USNA is unparalleled. I would highly recommend attending the United States Naval Academy.