Annapolis, MD
United States Naval Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend United States Naval Academy

Kevin

I have gained knowledge in just my first semester in college that I had never attained before in my life, and that is in the departments of photojournalism and astro-physics. Even after being a photographer years prior to my first semester, I have already learned information and technique that has shed a whole new light on what I do for a living. It showed me that photography isn't just a beautiful picture, it's a beautiful moment accompanied by an amazing story that may have never been told before. Astro-physics, on the other hand, completely blew my mind. I gained an unbelievable amount of insight about our universe, and it put such a raw interest in my heart for science that had never been there before. Ever since, i have been truly obsessed with the cosmos and astronomy science and I can really say that it has had one of the most mentally and educationally inspiring influences on my life today.

Ugochi

With all honesty, the beginning of my college career has been a very rocky and very unsure road. Coming into the "new world," I was truly unaware of the responsibilites attached to this pursuit of higher education. I was unfamiliar of the life, the responsibilites, and lastly, I was unfamiliar with my true self and what I wanted to pursue in life. Throughout my journey, though with a rough start and many changes in what I wanted to focus on, I finally found my true life's motive. My college experience allowed me to explore an unfamilar atmosphere, interect with others and ultimately discover myself. If the college experience does anything, it's allows students to find who they are, no matter how long it takes and what obsticles they faced to get a hold of their place in life. It also matures undergraduates as they face the real life responsibilties that are placed upon their shoulders. Attending college opened my eyes, guided me, broke me down then made me stronger. This is why I value my college career and I'm proud to say that I am currently a Computer Information Systems major with many goals ahead.

Shelby-Wayne

From my college experience, I have learned that you can't always do what you want to do. Being in college is a whole new world and in order to succeed, you have to put aside some personal things and do the school work and learn to manage your time wisely. Life will be like that in the business world and learning to do it in college will make tings easier to do once you have your degree. Lessons learned here, such as time management and deciding between what you want to do and what you need to do are some things of great value I've gained since being a college student at The United States Naval Academy.

The best thing about The United States Naval Academy is the leadership orrprtunities that it presents. Here, every student has the opportunity to lead their classmates and learn to become officers in the United States Navy. This school will prepare you for life in the fleet and teach you to be a person that your subordinates can trust and look up to. The Naval Academy also provides a very set structure that not very many other colleges provide that will improve graudation rates and success rates.

The most frustrating thing about the Naval Acedemy is that as a freshman, or plebe, you are at the very bottom of the totem pole. There isn't much freedom for a freshman. There is so many things piled on you on top of the large course load that you get here at this insitution anyways. Finding time for yourself is a difficult thing do, but in the end, everything will be well worth the pain and frustration.

kennon

i have received a lot from the little college that I have already had. The classes are great and the teachers are better. The teachers here actually care about how you do in your classes and want you to go on to do great things in our lives. I really enjoy the campus life here on the campus. There are so many people here and all of them of different backgrounds. It really has been a great experience so far to be attending college. It is so different from high school, but at the same time, i feel the comfort of being in a safe environment. I love the college I am attending at the time and I am happy that I made the choice to come to college. Without college, I would be struggling with bills and all kinds of different problems. However, I am working hard here at Victoria College to get a better education to get a better future.

Tyler

During my two and a half years here, I have learned that the academic aspect of school is only part of the experience. Having different leadership postitions has afforded me the opportunity to develop myself mentally and emotionally for my future in the military world. I have learned a great deal about how to relate to people on a more personal level in order to motivate them at their jobs. I have also learned that rules, although purposeful, have situations where they can and must be broken in order to do the "right" thing. When put in a situation where I must chose between breaking the rules while helping someone and obeying the rules and ignoring someone else's misfortune, I know for a fact that I will do whatever I can to help that person, even if it means getting myself in trouble. Selflessness is the ingredient that our society today lacks. If this virtue is reinstated as an important value once more, society would begin to make the changes that are necessary to solve communal, national, and even as far reaching as international issues. The opportunity to cultivate this virtue in myself is what college has given me.

How difficult balancing academics with all of the mandatory extracurricular activities would be. I knew it would be challenging, but I did not kow that averaging 4 hours of sleep a night during the weeks was a common occurence here.

The amount of work necessary to do well at this institution is unbelievable. Our display of leadership qualities coupled with self-discpline and motivation make our school one of the best in the country. Not only do we work hard but we play hard as well. Our weeks spent studying and going to class are well worth the fun we have on the weekends, especially since we are not allowed to leave during the week.

Bethany

I would tell myself to keep doing exactly what you are doing. Making good grades and keeping my head in school. Do not let outside problems effect your studies. No matter how bad your life seems or how frustrating juggling school, job, family, and boyfriend all together is, do not give up! Going to college is not as hard as you may think. The first day, not really sure where to go and not knowing who anyone is scary but not near as bad as you think it will be. Do not be afraid to ask questions. That is what the staff is there for. Do not assume that you are the only person in class that does not have a clue what you are doing. Believe me you are not the only one. Keep up the good work and keep your head on straight.

Navy football and the rigorous academics and military life.

Navy football and the rigorous academics and military life.

You will recieve some of the best military training of your life and will earn a degree from a priority institution. There are no drinking parties, zero tolerance for drugs; you will recieve more structure and discipline than you thought was possible in your life.

Live life for the moment before it's gone. Make the best decisions you can make based on your instinct and advice from your friends. Live, laugh, and love and try to live without regrets. Make close friends and keep them near your heart as they will help you make it through the rought times in life. Enjoy what you have, make wise decisions that you can always live with and never lower your standards for anyone. Stand up for what you believe in because there are probably others out there with the same idea that are too afraid to speak up for what they believe is right. Learn how to love yourself.

Jordan

Only at the Naval Academy can one become an officer in the United States Navy who embodies leadership, honor, and knowledge. While true that other colleges contain ROTC programs the train officers, they don't train leaders. With a greater number of leadership opportunities, as well as direct, daily interaction with high level officers, we are molded into combat ready junior officers that can lead our enlisted sailors and Marines as well as being comfortable enough around our superiors to do what needs to be done without succumbing to Captainitis. Where others commit time to training, we commit our lives.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself to learn how to study and concentrate. In college, your parents are no longer there to motivate you or force you to study. Instead, you have to take it upon yourself to do what needs to be done, which is difficult considering the multitude of distractions that college presents. In high school, it is possible to get an A in a class simply by doing the homework and listening when the teacher talks. In college however, extra studying is necessary for any grade above a C. Class is no longer a reiteration of the materials covered by the homework, but a whole mess of new information. While note taking helps you remember the information, if one doesn't study those notes it becomes almost impossible to truly learn the material.

The best thing about my school is the ample leadership opportunities that everyone is encouraged to participate in. Not only do we take classes related to leadership, but are given charge of ships with a crew of classmates. We are given a task that must be completed and are shown how to do it but are then left at the Conn to command a ship and crew to accomplish our task. Nowhere else is leadership taught, but instilled. Throughout the four years, one may even get the opportunity to command the Brigade with approximately 5000 Midshipman.

Karlicia

What would tell myself would be to make up your mind if you want to go to college in the the 10 grade, because it really does matter . What you do after high school. Life is about choice ,but as time goes on they become less of a priority and in todays world you need school more then you would ever know . To make it .

Raymond

I'd warn myself that things will never be the same as high school. Old friends move on and you'll have to as well. Go in with an open mind, participate in multiple ECA's, and take a break to have some fun once in a while

I wish I would have known that the standards are much lower than they try to portray to the media and general public.

Anyone who isn't willing to sacrifice for others and work hard without always getting rewarded should think twice. You should be a very motivated person who can deal with adversity and not lose sight of your goals.

• $0

United States Naval Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.