Bayamon, PR
University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon

Limary

I wouldn't change my University at all. Campus is great, food is great and overall everyone's great. Friendly staff, everyone's welcome and there's always something to do! We got a great sports program, a distintive choir and technology all over the place for us students.

Diego

An interesting unitersity who had a lot of interesting stuff to learn.

An interesting unitersity who had a lot of interesting stuff to learn.

I woul advice about to use wisely the time studiying any material. Because the material is so accumulative and you would use it every time, even if im watching tv they talk about something that i just learn in the classroom, i dont even imagine when i work in something related to my bachelor.

The stucture is very old, teh administration shuld work on it.

Josue

The best things that I think of my school are: 1. The level of difficulty of the subject, as in the study area the difficulty level is so strong that most students have to go to this school. 2. Type of training they receive, and that training in sporting stimulates production of endorphins and can concentrate during an exam type "atomic bomb", as these tests are very difficult and requires much training physically and intellectually. 3. The academic challenges, are very difficult and requires much of the second consideration, because it improves the ability to intellectually and physically .

In the transition from high school to college is very strong, as some students were uncomfortable with the transition to this great stage of their lives: college life. Others are easier, because the experience acquired in the course of their lives. Almost always Most students are upset when they mention going to a new stage of their lives and they do not know about or deconcentration what this new life. They seek help from your high school counselor in order to deal with your situation or concern also provide psychological or spiritual help. If I were a teen counselor or psychologist, I would halaría on my experience during my life as a college student and professional. Some are afraid, others unknown, but the reality is that the transition from high school to college is very strong but at the same time is very nice. Some say they are going to see their faces when they arrive to their new life, others say it will not be able to see (as they say in high school graduation). Almost always this is accompanied by changes to the physical, emotional, intellectual, academic or perhaps because seeing their new environment, is shocking.

The best thing I think of my school's academic life and training physically and intellectually. Here we consider the physical training as part of the student's academic life, because it remains active and are not traumatized by seeing a type examination "ATOMIC BOMB". (In some cases traumatized and locked and have to leave the institution because they can not handle the pressure, this training includes the physical level). Training is not because students are athletes, but because it is part of a protocol to education. To me that is one of the best things that I have.

My advice to myself would be to go to college right after high school and stick with it. To just get it done an over with because now that I am a mother and a wife it is very difficult to go. It will be worth it in the end and my daughter is my motivation but life would be a lot easier if I had already finished school.

Natalia

Usually my classmates are very friendly helpfull people.

Usually my classmates are very friendly helpfull people.

I would advise myself to not be afraid of new things. Never to assume that because none of your friends are in the same college or university as you, you are going to be alone. You will always make knew friends, and meet different kinds of people. Also don't assume that because you succeeded and had good grades at high school it is going to be the same in college or university. You will have to work probably more than twice as harder to succeed and get good grades. Don’t forbid yourself to live new experiences, and always give your best at what you are doing.

The dance and cheerleading teams because they are national and international winners.

Wilmarys

They are very different, almost all of them are friendly, and very focused in their studies.

First of all, i would tell myself: be organized and study really hard! When you procrastinate, you tend to fall behind and then everything, tests and projects, will drive you crazy. Try to learn as much as you can from your teachers, they can be your friends and help you with so many things. Try to meet new people everyday, you will learn so much. Be friendly and helpful. That will pay off very nicely. Don't be a snob, and don't ever believe that you're better than anyone. Play sports, exercise, and eat well; you tend to eat a lot of junk food in college, that's why a lot of college students are overweight. Don't only focus on schoolwork. You CAN have a social life and get good grades, it's all matter of being organized; this is the time to explore, to learn so many things. Try to do an internship and try to be an exchange student. If you join Facebook, try to not get addicted to it, it makes you lose a lot of time.

We have great professors. Almost all of them are very prepared and are experts in their fields, they're are pro- students, friendly and available whenever you have doubts or questions. The school is kind of small, but i like it like that, there is enough space for everything that you need.

Jose

I think this UPR campus is perfect: it small, but all the buildings are really close by is a peaceful place, there's not a lot of fuss unless there's a party or some sort of celebration. (And speaking of celebrations and parties their announce in advance, and are put in the universal time, where there are no classes being taking at this hour) The administration is great, they really help a student out when it's needed. One of the experiences that I'll always remember is the fact that is so open minded. You don't get bullied, or feel beaten down by the students and faculty there.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

There's that day where a random person is walking with a funny costume in your college campus and well.. I was that guy in the costume. It was Halloween and I decided to give a little laugh to the campus, so I went dress up a hot dog. I wasn't the only one. There where Catwomans and Harry Potter fans, it was great to see the college more alive than usual. The most awkward thing that happened to me that makes that day more memorable is that I entered the classroom and the teacher sees me and she was like "Oh a hot dog. Have a seat" (as if it was normal) and suddenly someone takes my hoodie (from the costume) off and she she goes into shock "OH MY GOD YOUR BALD! What happen??!!" (yeah I had a haircut malfunction that week...)

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I've decided to go this campus because my bachelor's degree starts here and ends in the UPR campus at Carolina. Also, the University at Puerto Rico offers great help for those who are not economically good, and I don't have a lot of money for college.

When you look at it for the first time, the first thing that pops up to your mind is "It's so small." It looks small because all of the buildings are really close to one another. But when you are a regular student that needs to move, let's say, from the 100 building to the 800 you will realize it's not that close. A person who never seen my campus will think is not finish because there's a new building under construction next to the entrance.

What are your classes like?

The classes are really interactive and fun. You need to be prepare for the content of the class because the teacher's not going to talk on and on like a boring class. He/She talks and then ask question about the subject. It's really fun when the students are even offering opinions and suggestions about the subject because it shows that they: A. Read about the subject before entering the class. B. The subject shows interest and intrigue. Other elective likes French, for example, requires you to be more active in the class like making little plays, or singing along.

Being a students at UPR isn't easy, and it's no fun and games because the classes are tough. Take for example English where you need to make essays, but that's not the hard part. Once you finish the essay you need to take it to the writing room so you can see what you didn't write well and other aspects of the information that you can make better, because here in UPR you need to rewrite the essays until they're perfect. It's hard writing and rewriting the same sentences you thought they were correct and now need to change it but it teaches you how to make a better argumentative essay and how to describe more clearly your point of view.. Other classes such as Biology and Chemistry require you to study more for the exams because the test are mainly practical rather than theoretical (so studying what DNA means is not going to be really helpful if you can't apply it to a problem). Not to mention you need to be prepare for the Labs. The extra curricular classes, such as French, Chess & Grou Dynamics, show a diferent side of my college. It shows that they offer other classes that teach you diferent skill in a more pleasant and fun way. My favorite class right now has got to be French because it's an intensive course, you take it 5 days a week and I gotta say I really learned more about the french language now Je parle un peu le Francais (I speak French a little). Studying the students of each class, the students that are more connected are the ones that take biology and psychology (biology for the fact that is a strong class and we do study sections to understand it better and psychology because the class is really fun and you can speak your mind about everything). Right now I'm studying Forensic Psychology. It's about aplying spychological methods in the legal department, I finish my major In UPR at Carolina but for my first 2 years of college I go to the Bayamon campus, and so far I love it, the teachers are so helpful and friendly and they show great examples so that the students understand the class better. Finally, taking courses in UPR at Bayamon is very hard, but you really learn while taking each and every single class no matter if their elective or part of your bachelor's degree.

What do students complain about most?

The students complain most about is the lack of clean bathroom. No matter how much you need to go, there's no amount of stamina to withstand some of these bathrooms.

The most popular clubs on my campus are mostly athletes clubs, follow up by the choir, then the students council. It's no surprise that us Puerto Ricans love to party, and we usually have "little" parties in the cafeteria, or in the parking, or near the Arena. They usually have fundraisers for good causes, like donating money for abandoned puppies and people who have cancer. We don't have sororities/frats in UPR. so those "O. M. G. I don't know what happened last Friday night" doesn't happen (unless the party is outside of the college campus). Most parties inside and sponsor by our campus are alcohol FREE, and they included awesome band like Cultura Profetica and contest sponsor by products. Last time we got fun games by Snapple and Snicker, plus free t-shirts by Ford. We also have party (alcohol free) going to boiling Allie, reunions on the mall, ping pong contest or cheering our team on sporting events, and sometimes we have karaoke nights on the cafeteria. Although studying for an exam is important, is better if your studying with friends who you know and love. Most of my friends I met them outside of the halls waiting for a class or inside the class itself. Other friends I have made i met then at the kilo metric lines in the Preregistration (trust me 6 hours standing in line makes you want to talk to any person you don't know seem interesting). Also you meet interesting people in the parties, tutorials, group work, and even in organizations such as the council.

There's a lot of diversity in my college, you see athletes, you see biologist, you see people from the choir. Besides from that you can't tell the rest apart, you can only tell them apart because of where they are or if their wearing specific clothing (athletes are almost all the time near the gyms and tracks practicing, biologist always wear their lab coats and are at the laboratories, and the band from the choir has a uniform). Other groups of people are the christian, but you can only tell them apart when their in their sections singing and reading the Bible. We need to be honest here: University Of Puerto Rico is a college to teach and educate people who have no money, being poor is not criticize or laugh at. The UPR offers lots of economic help for the students who can't afford college, whether it's by students funds, or study and work programs, but the goal is that Everyone has a change of getting their bachelors'; degree.I myself have no money to pay for college and thanks to a scholarship I'm one more step closer to my goal. Changing the subject, clothes is not that big a deal in the classroom (unless your half naked and showing what you shouldn't show then that's another scenario). Most classroom have air conditioners and most puertoricans can't handle the cold, so you'll probably see 20-30 jackets in a room.

To tel you the truth, when you think of UPR at Bayamon there's no such thing as a stereotype the only thing "stereotypical" is the fact that we're call The Cowboys (ironically there isn't a cowboy in sight). the buildings are divided by the courses they teach, so there's kinda a stereotype there because when you think (let's say) the 400, you think of people studying for bachelors degrees associated to administration.

Johanna

The University of Puerto Rico at Bayam?n is committed to its students, in territory is not so large in comparison with other universities, most students are male, because of its territory you have the opportunity to make friends and the professors are very prepared.

To be a college student means be independent, responsible and very committed. The advice that I would give me if I could go back in time is not only for me. It is for every high school student and it says this: make a good use of time; if you are very committed to your carrier and want to achieve all your goals, you should take advantage of the education that it?s bringing you now because if you don't in a future you will regret it. I regret don?t pay attention of useful information and now that I?m in college I have to waste time learning additional information that I didn?t learn in high school. The transition of being in high school to be in college it?s hard, and probably your friends will attend other universities. In some way, you will be alone during this transition. How committed to your carrier and goals you are it is what will make you strong to endure all the responsibilities that a college student has, but don?t be scare college is not so bad, if you know how to make a good use of your time.

Definitely the conditions of the institution is something that I wished to have known, often the amount of materials needed is not enough for the number of students present. Being a public university the system government isn't too interested in the condition of the college. Many times teachers and other employees should bring the materials needed, when it is the responsibility of the education department to ensure the needs of the institution and students. The conditions under a university is, certainly influence students' thinking, but clearly the privileged to study at a public university in some way involves sacrifices.

University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.