University of Southern California Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Southern California

Mia

The campus itself is beautiful, which is one of the most attractive reasons as a prospective student to apply. Once you have the opportunity to check out a college tour, the students guiding you show their genuine passion for the schools and are willing to answer questions in complete honesty.

Angela

Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.

Leslie

This is a really great school. I'm super happy that I chose to come here. The weather is great, the campus is beautiful, and the classes are pretty interesting. Of course the surrounding area leaves much to be desired, but the school knows that and they are working to make it better.

Carol

The University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA is a wonderful place to be with the warm and sunny weather, monstrous school spirit and pride, and a plethora of surrounding attractions only a Metro bus ride and/or an affordable Lyft ride away.

Karla

What I like about USC is their community awareness, and this I experienced firsthand summer of 2015 in the USC Dornsife Chemistry Department when I joined the Solar Energy Program Internship. I worked under the Brutchey group, a group that’s focused on developing sustainable solution processed semiconductors as absorber materials for photovoltaic devices. The University demonstrated to me the importance of introducing the research lab environment to students. Before I joined the Brutchey group I used to find the research field intimidating. But after spending the entire summer at USC, I discovered my fondness and respect for research. The misconceptions of laboratory work and the research that is conducted is something they wanted to address. Through the internship I understood that even though research internships seem daunting, however, it also serves as an important resource and foundation for scientific curiosity. My internship has given me the ability to apply my knowledge, abilities, and skills at a professional level. And so to give other students the same opportunity and help them recognize their potential interests in research I started organizing lab tours, talks and guest speakers to enlighten undergraduates about research facilities, how it works, and how it can impact their future careers. The USC Dornsife Chemistry Department has been generous in allotting time for Cerritos College STEM students and facilitating lab tours. It has been a great honor working with Dr. Matthew Pratt and Dr. Richard Brutchey who share my desire to make it known that research is an amazing field. By introducing the research lab environment, I hoped that this would alleviate the doubts that students have regarding their own capabilities. University of Southern California perhaps illustrated to me that education need not to be kept for our own success but shared.

Micah

USC is a great school filled with a diverse student body, great academics, and the amazing Trojan spirit. This is the perfect school for someone looking for a community because the Trojan Family is a real concept. It is in a great location in downtown Los Angeles, so you can always find something to do.

Parker

The University of Southern California is in the ideal setting. It is situated in the middle of Los Angeles, right below downtown, and only thirty mins from the beach. The weather is perpetually beautiful, and the campus fool of brick and romanesque style buildings is gorgeous. The classes are usually smaller than classes in most large universities, and the prestige of the school will look good for any degree.

Victoria

The University of Southern California is a super college with great academics and extracurricular activities. There isn't anything you can't do! You can take so many interesting classes and pursue your passions by joining the many clubs they have on campus. USC allows you to excel inside and outside the classroom.

Amulya

I love it here! I am afforded so many opportunities and I have the chance to meet so many amazing, diverse people. The housing is fantastic - it's almost like I am living in a hotel and the class sizes are so conducive to learning. The professors are always willing to help, which ensures that I am receiving the best academic experience possible.

Brian

It's overall a great school with plenty of networking opportunities and extracurriculars to get involved in. Just wish that the campus was greener and the outside community was a bit safer... location isn't the best, but USC does make an effort to keep their students safe. Overall a great place to have a wonderful college experience!

Efrain

I really appreciate all of the resources that are on campus, especially the Office of Undergraduate Programs. The services offered are extremely helpful and are easy to access, so there is never a reason to not seek out help from one of their programs. The faculty from the Environmental Studies department is great too, and most of the Chemistry faculty too. The downside to this university is the questionable use of our tuition. There is no real transparency with what our money goes to, and the recent tuition hikes does not make the situation any less irritating.

Gabrielle

This is an incredible school filled with a large assortment of diversity, internationally and intellectually. Every single student is academically driven and will always strive to achieve their personal best. When students are going through stressful times between social life, finals, etc. there is an incredibly supportive and engaging environment that reminds me everyone is stressed and we are all getting through it together. Overall, if you can manage balancing your social life and academics, you are going to have an insanely pleasant time at this school!

Katie

I enjoy being a student at USC. There are many opportunities to get involved on campus through clubs, student organizations and greek life. In addition the professors really seem to care about the students and whether or not they are excelling in class. I like the location as well as the opportunities being a USC student has given me.

The University of Southern California provides amazing opportunities for its students; whether in academics, sports, arts, continued higher education, extracurricular activities, professors, there is nothing USC is lacking. The alumnus of USC, dubbed the “Trojan Family,” extends influence and support that reaches worldwide. The professors make themselves available to all students, sometimes even giving personal phone numbers as their contact information. Being ten minutes from downtown Los Angeles, the location of USC makes for a myriad of activities, restaurants, and attractions for students.

Saul

The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.

Juan

USC provides students with an opportunity to grow beyond the regular standards they have set for themselves to cultivate a community of individuals with strong ideas and open minds. A student can realize more than they can imagine and become better people in their education and personal lives.

Katherine

The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.

Kalli

The University of Southern California is like any other college in that you get out of it what you choose to get out of it. If you're into academics: The array of courses offered is incredibly diverse (as is the student body, if that matters to you) and you can basically study just about anything you'd like. They also allow you to triple-major, if you're interested in taking on that sort of beast. The professors are stellar, most of whom are currently working in (and passionate about) their field, which brings real-world experience and an interesting dynamic into the classroom. They also encourage interested (or struggling) students to attend office hours and most are actually very accommodating and will meet with a student at any time/location that is convenient for them (i.e., lets grab a lemonade and discuss Zen Buddhism and the idea of impermanence, or how to turn your business idea into a business plan, or maybe why your current screenplay just isn't working). Whatever you're passionate about, there's at least one professor who is just as passionate and has a wealth of knowledge to impart. The library resources are pretty staggering as well and the networking options and internships are unparalleled. It's an expensive school, but the resources are invaluable. If you're into sports: You might be better off reading someone else's review (for me, sports are kind of like a foreign language that I don't speak). What I can tell you is that USC is ALL about sports. They live it. They breathe it. It's in every beat of a Trojan. It's a very, VERY big deal and it brings everyone together. If you're into financial aid: USC offers 100% financing for those who need it. There are numerous scholarships and grants available in almost every field of study and the application process is similar to any other university, though I have run into a few issues with the company they use for repayment of loans (ECSI). If you try to make a payment for more than 1 month at a time, they are completely unable to process it correctly. If you're interested in safety: USC is not in a great neighborhood, though I never feel unsafe while actually on campus. But once you step outside the gates it can get a little sketchy. They have campus security and neighborhood ambassadors that help keep us all safe, but you definitely want to be aware of your surroundings and make smart decisions (which is true no matter where you are). There are also campus cruisers that transport you around the campus vicinity after dark. If you're interested in anything else: The campus is beautiful. The weather is great. Greek life is big. USC students work hard and play hard. It's a great school and it offers amazing opportunities, but it's not everyone. LA is a whole different world and if you're not from southern California, it takes some getting used to. But for me (and for some of you) it's right where I need to be and I wouldn't have it any other way. Fight on!

alyssa

My overall opinion of the University is a great one. The school didn't offer me any aid, so money surely was not the deciding factor as to why I chose USC. There is a feeling of comradery and pride in my school that many other students at other institutions just don't feel. USC is also the place where you know you're going to get a good education, no matter what you learn. The professors are top notch, and the facilities are amazing across the board. USC really fosters any talents its students may have. The location is also an important thing to mention. Although south central LA has a reputation of being dangerous, if you use common sense, USC makes sure that its students are safe. I lived off campus and often felt safer walking home from the library at 3am than I did walking to my car after work in an extremely safe part of San Diego. Aside from the safety, USC is located in a convenient area for anything you'd want to do, whether that be the beach or a day downtown. Overall, the school makes sure its students succeed and are happy.

D'angelo

My father told me about USC Because he met my mom there in 1984.

Mai

As an engineering major, there are so many opportunities to be involved in research, extracurriculars, networking, etc. This school has really inspired and motivated me to become career oriented, but it also emphasizes the importance of the arts. Outside of engineering, there are certain classes I have to take with the humanities to graduate and I've learned so much about topics such as sociology and art history that have given me a new perspective. However, the tuition and cost of living are extremely high, especially being at a private school in the middle of LA. In terms of popular night life/restaurants, there aren't a lot of good places around campus, so one must typically Uber/drive to other places.

Olivia

There is a soft wind that blows through her hair, rustling the auburn tendrils and pulling her forward. It’s fall now, but is it really? Yes, the leaves have turned, and the girls bundle up in their oversized sweaters and the boys fight the gusts of chill with their university-themed sweatshirts. But beneath the jeans there are flip flops. And a light t-shirt is not uncommon even mid-October. “It is Southern California,” she thinks to herself as she hurries to class, a green beach cruiser whizzing past her as its occupant struggles to not collide with the hundreds of pedestrians and fellow cyclists and skateboarders on this grey afternoon. She passes the weathered sign, emblazoned with “University of Southern California,” and bounces up the steps to her next class, “The Past, Present, and Future of Journalism,” a class tailored to those who are in any year of college but are looking to being their career in studying the field. Panting a little, her heart beating fast in time with her chagrin- she should have used the Lyon Center last week, after all: it’s right across from her dorm, and it boasts amazing facilities. Two floors with rowing machines, a kickboxing room, countless treadmills, stair steppers, a pool, and many more amenities she could’ve been utilizing instead of plethora frozen yogurt runs to Parkside- one of the three dining halls on campus. Our heroine- or anti-heroine, if you will- plops herself down in the seat across from that cute transfer student, Bryce. “You guys really kicked the crap out of us, huh?” She elbows him as he snickers quietly. “Maybe I shouldn’t have transferred from University of Alabama, after all…” She takes her laptop out of her bag, knowing that Professor Morris, like most professors at USC, is open and even invites technology into the classroom- a feature she loves having, even if an old fashioned notebook and a nice pen is comforting sometimes. “But then who would I have to complain with about the limited vegetarian options at Cafe 84, which is not the best dining hall, by the way.” She whispers this quietly, her voice is normally very boisterous, but in her discussion sections, she has to remember to keep it down, as the size does not normally go over fifteen students. “Morning, ladies and gents,” Professor Morris strolls into the room, just as class is about to begin. “Alright. Midterms next week- how are we feeling?” She is answered by a chorus head-nods and shaky smiles, as she passes out the midterm review sheet. “We’ll have more time to discuss the midterm in lecture, I’m sure with sixty-eight of you we will have a lot to go over. For now,” she pauses with dramatic effect, “We have a new assignment. And it’s tough." *3 hours later* “I honestly don’t know what to do. Like, what’s the point of this?” our heroine (O.H.) asks her friend Ellice who also takes the class, as they stand in line for dinner at Everybody’s Kitchen- the dining hall across campus from where they live, known for its comfort food. “I think it’s more of a test for us, like if we can be concise and show our skills in a way that isn’t one we’ve really had to do before." “But I’ve had to write reviews before,” O.H. whines. “Right. But were they graded? By a professor? At a university? Here, let’s just discuss- ooh, vegan mac n’ cheese!" The pair sits down at one of the tables outside near the herb garden, making sure not to spill their carefully-crafted espressos, the setting sun illuminating their profiles and creating a calming glow as they begin to talk over the assignment. “Ok, so she wants us to review our school, USC? Well, first off would be the dorms, yeah?” Ellice scratches this down in her Black Student Association notebook, an organization both of the girls are a part of and attend the regular meetings and political rallies of. “Ok, so we live in a suite-style dorm? And we’re on a special interest floor, one of many. Personally I love the opportunity to live in a suite-style dorm, and that our university offers them. I love being able to have multiple roommates who come from different states and have different majors, yet we all bonded really easily and have a built-in support network," “Next, dining halls,” O.H. notes, scouting closer to look at the notebook. “I would say that all three always have some type of vegetarian or vegan option, it just depends on what you like. I think that’s a cool feature at our school- the ability to choose based on what you want to eat. Like a restaurant,” and as she says this she can’t help but giggle at her analogy. “Yeah definitely. Like, a crepe bar at 84 and frozen yogurt machines at Everybody’s Kitchen and Parkside? And cappuccino and espresso machines? Absolutely amazing.” “Ok, dining halls, check. Residence halls, check. What about student life? I mean, I think we have a really good student vibe here- greek life is huge, but if you don’t join it really doesn’t come up. Like, you can still go to the parties and whatever, but it can be in your face sometimes,” O.H. explains as she scribbles the notes down. “Yeah, I really like that about our school. Sometimes I don’t like how white-Greek centric it is, there are black frats and sororities, Asian ones too. Sometimes I’m a little bothered by the lack of diversity in our classes and the stress on Greek life and sports, it can be little frustrating. But overall our school is pretty inclusive, which is something I love,” continues Ellice. As the minutes grow into an hour, then two, the girls realize how late it is and decide to make the trek back to their dorm, a bounce in their steps as they walk uninhibited down the streets of their campus, passing numerous blue light security systems along the way. “Oh, security. That’s a plus,” O.H. points out as they pause at an intersection to allow a Campus Cruiser- a free transportation system for students that operates between 7pm and 5am every day- and Ellice nods her head in agreement. “We forget that we’re in the middle of an area that isn’t necessarily that safe at night.” *4 hours later* As O.H. powers down her computer later that night, she glances at the last paragraph she has written in her review that she’ll hand in to Professor Morris tomorrow. “The University of Southern California provides its students with the tools to further themselves, if they take advantage of them. The accredited universities doctrine is not shoved down the throats of its students, but instead the university allows its programs and specific schools to speak for themselves. As expected for a school based in Southern California- or any school in general- the culture of drugs, alcohol and partying is still very present, but as many students at USC will tell you, you have to be looking for a party to find it. No one is forced to partake in that life, and in fact there are many students who do not do these things at all, it seems. With beautiful amenities and a campus that boasts five-star security and extensive libraries and study spaces, the school more than makes up for any small flaws it might have in its dormitory situations or lack of diversity-awareness. The University of Southern California is truly a worthwhile investment."

Matthew

The theshold of USC along the campus is a time machine. It teleports you to an old fashion method of classes, were they end in XX:50 so you have ten minutes of transportation to the next class. The socioeconomic differences are quite drastic, especially along the several mile long stretch of Figueroa Street. However, as a low-income student observing as a visitor, I saw it as motivation to avoid the trap as best I can. Private University lifestyle has the benefit of connections, and USC is woven so deeply, that you may get caught in a web and meet individuals from all walks of life that you might never suspect. Touring the campus gave off an eminence that there is a spirit here, and that every student wants to contribute to that spirit.

Valentina

It's a great school with options for anyone and everyone. At the center of LA, there's plenty of opportunities for students to get involved in the community. Although a big school and small campus, it does not feel crowded and there's always new people to meet in the variety of clubs and organizations USC has.

aliza

I love it here!

Janelle

In transferring from a small college of a few thousand to USC, the differences are stark. The facilities here are enormous and there is always some to direct or help you with whatever problems you may find. The campus is inviting and conducive to both independent study and group collaborations. The extracurricular activities are highly supported by this campus as USC takes great pride in its students' talents and imaginations.

Victoria

Somewhat of a party/football school, just like my high school, but the students can be academic/intellectual when needed. It just feels a lot more sunny and energetic, a lot of LA energy and life. It's in the heart of the city so you have a lot of career connections already, and commutes to internships is easy.

Hector

I personally love this university. Especially the school I am apart of, Thornton. I feel like my professors are always there whenever I have a question, even when they're running late for their class!! I am enjoying every moment I can at this school!

Hah

terrible school. aspires to elite status. will never be an "intellectual" school. cares more about the veneer of prestige than quality and intellectual curiosity. a best a school for philistines who want a professional/white collar career. the school is overpriced. many departments, but most are mediocre. school doesn't seem to realize that it has purported "breadth", but not "depth."

Anita

I really enjoy being a student at USC. On the surface it may seem superficial, I have had no trouble finding a niche and close friends with whom I can discuss anything from controversial topics to Friday night plans. There are definitely endless things to do here. Ultimately, your college experience is what you make of it but USC provides a good platform to start.

Margaret

I love USC. One of the best things about it is the family on and off campus. The connections you can get just by attending USC is amazing . I currently have a job because my employer had heard good things about USC students. The teachers at USC definitely provide tough love to try to get you ready for the real world, so the academics are tough. But the football games and on campus activities can't be beat.

Jordan

My experience at USC's Thornton School of Music have been overwhelmingly positive, save for a few difficult personalities. Outside of Thornton, I've had good experience with faculty and staff, but iffy experiences with non-Thornton students.

Georgina

The University of Southern California is an amazing school if you are looking for a big school in a big city. There is a competitive aspect about the school, but there are always ways to blow off steam in Los Angeles. You can always go hiking with friends or try a new place to eat. This is a huge perk of going to school here.

Samuel

USC is defiantly one of the best option for college I have seen yet. Coming from a small town, it was truly life-changing to be able to witness a large and diverse community that share your interests and goals. The entirety of the campus is filled with life where you can notice the potential in yourselves and you classmates. There are vast resources for you to take advantage of to hopefully accomplish your goal. USC has a beautiful campus to encourage the chosen studies of each student. The professors seem helpful and want see me succeed in my field of study. I would recommend USC to anyone who wishes who an excellent college experience.

Manuel

I recommend this school to everyone.

Miho

There's always something to do. YOU WILL NEVER BE BORED! Although it's a competitive school to get into, classes are not that hard. The classes are a hit or miss. Some professors are amazing, some give A's, some are crazy, and some will definitely put you to sleep. The facilities are absolutely beautiful though.

It is a great institution that genuinely cares about its students and the education they receive. The teachers are always very helpful and the community engagement is great. I enjoy going to class and feel my assignments really mean something aside from earning a grade, it is practical learning.

Matthew

In my opinion, USC is a great school. As with other schools, there is always something available if you find the energy to seek it. However, what I like about USC the most is that this is actually TRUE. Everything is so accessible given that it is a private University. If you need help with academics there are daily centers for tutoring. If you need a life coach there are easily accessible individuals who will be willing to help. If you need help with classwork, their won't be this cut-throat competition present in other top schools where students will refuse to provide help to each other for the sake of the "grade". Despite its high price, it does pay off with its abundance of resources and access to world-class education within a fingers reach.

Nick

USC is an awesome school. Really almost anyone could come here and find their group. Definitely a large greek scene, but it is really easy to have a social life and not go greek. Academics are challenging, but with the right amount of work you can do it, and friends, tutors, and professors are always there to help. Tons of extracurriculars that range from fun to professionally oriented. Just a nice happy place overall. Great location next to DTLA, and surrounding area is fine safety-wise if you are smart about it.

Margaret

USC was a great place to for my undergraduate education. I felt like I was presented with wonderful opportunities for research with faculty supervision that may have been rare at another university. I am so grateful for the opportunities and resources that were available on campus.

Karryn

USC takes a lot of pride in being the best/first at things, and it shows in their cutting edge tech, broad offering of majors, and athletics championships (numerous). The alumni network has already proven to be helpful in mentoring, also. And while my teachers, advisors, and Financial Aid staff have all been outstanding, I've felt a bit invisible, being both a non-traditional student and a Spring Admit. The Career and Involvement Fairs were both announced at the last possible minute, making connecting even harder. The expectations are demanding, but in a good way.

Aiyonna

Great school. I came from a small town in the east coast. The location in the city is busy but I feel safe. The overall school community is large but personal at the same time. You will never be noted because there are so many extracurricular activities.

JiaJun

Here, I want to review the University of Southern California by specifying the current program details. This online graduate program is a good choice for the remote students. I have obtained a Ph.D. before entering this master program. I have been the full-time student of this online program of Master of Art in Teaching (MAT) since the last spring term. In the three courses that I have taken, I can feel that the program quality is high. For example, the curriculum is vigorously well designed so that my learning is gradually progressive. Moreover, the instructors are professional, providing students with enough supports. A professor does not teach us the educational theories, but also shares a lot of her family situations to clarify her educational stances. It is a vivid example to let me understand the REAL things in California. Furthermore, the tech and student supports are great and effective. There was one time I have a difficulty in posting a video on the course wall. The problem seemed to be unsolvable. The tech supporter tried to help me by calling and emailing me for more than three times to figure out what the problem was. Afterwards, he told me the solutions several minute later. His helpfulness impressed me. In another case, the student support, who is responsible for attempting to answer all ranges of my questions, was very familiar with the credential path in California. His suggestion avoided me making wrong decisions for taking the unnecessary exams. He was supportive to my credentialing path. My student peers are professionals and really broaden my horizons. Generally, I feel self-efficacy and being supported in this program. There are several disadvantages of this online USC Rossier MAT program. Firstly, the tuition is the same as the on-campus one, which cost more than 52,000 in total. This tuition is apparently more expensive than the other same-quality education schools like UCLA (about twice). It is reasonable that the private schools cost more. But the expensive tuition may put high financial burden on the students, and lower the possibility of their future success. The other disadvantage is that the new term in Fall 2018 will be extended to 15 weeks. Specifically, there are currently ten weeks for one semester. Though the weekly work load is high, the length of ten weeks is an attractive point for me. However, the new regulations will change the length to be 15 weeks in Fall 2018. That may cause some problems of inadaptability for the students. I think it is fair to say that the online [email protected] is a good choice if you have strong enough finance and a limited time schedule. If you can be physically present in USC, you may consider the on-campus program. If you have limited budget for the tuition, but still want to become an educator, you can consider schools like UCLA or Washington University.

Hailey

USC is a great school. Recently, administration has made mistakes, but each time they reassure the student body, especially when students protest and hold the school accountable. Football season here is amazing, but life isn't centered around it. Students are very successful and push each other to try harder, encouraged by faculty as well.

USC is a place where you can be yourself. You will be able to easily find your place there, and be able to call it your home. The campus is beautiful, and everyone is really nice. If you ever need help with anything, all you have to do is ask. There is a lot of freedom in who you want to be here, and I think that's pretty amazing.

Tara

The University of Southern California is a great school. Even though I am in the Graduate Program outside of campus a lot I have really enjoyed campus and the culture. USC has given me greats friends and I have had even better teachers. It lives up to it's name!

Kaci

USC has 26 pages of extracurricular activities and student organizations - there really is something for everyone (unlike anything I've seen at any other school). Class sizes are a little bigger than one might like, but you have a lot of options for professors. Campus is beautiful, food is delicious, academics are strong, and the facilities are fantastic (gym, multiple libraries, fields, etc.).

Melanie

I transferred to USC because of its overall recognition. I had heard so many great things about it, and can testify now that I am a student here. The student professor relationships that you build here are incredible, and it is obvious that staff really cares how you do at USC. They go above and beyond to direct you to wherever you need to be or want to go (in an academic sense.) If you are deciding between USC and another school, choose USC!

Evan

The University of Southern California is a university that challenges students, allowing their minds to develop and expand. Although USC is a large university with a large student population, they allow the students to develop a strong educational relationship with the professors. The professors are always available—during their office hours, as well as by email or phone. Overall, the University of Southern California is a challenging university, but it is one that encourages expansion of the students' experiences, through education and extracurricular activities.

Rodney

I am a dual degree graduate student University of Southern California pursuing a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Marshall school of business and a Master of Real Estate Development (MRED) at the Price school of public policy. So far my graduate experience has been phenomenal. Although I only started a few months ago, the immersive course curriculum and the vibrant student body make me feel like I have been a Trojan for years. Also, tailgates and football games are some of the most fun events I have ever been too in my life. I highly recommend USC to anyone and everyone.