Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

nicole

I recently turned thirty and oh boy do i have a lot of advice for my stuck up know it all eighteen year old self!! My biggest regret is not listening to my mother and every other older and wiser adult that tried to tell me how important education is. I didnt have any college educated role models that I was influenced by. Neither of my parents went to college and both have job security and are financially stable. My nieve younger self thought I would have the same "luck". But times have changed and having a college degree is a must! Having twelve years in the work force, I have experienced first hand, that not having an education doesn't even put me on the playing field for many employment positions. My employment history has been by chance, who I knew, having a friendly personality, and a big smile! None of my positions offered job security, stability, or oppurtunites for advancement. Financially I have struggled, just getting by day to day. I now know that having an education followed by a career will enable me to be financially secure and allow me to live out my dreams.

Kailey

Football, hockey, and basketball. Madison is also a great research school and has some of the top programs in the nation.

Madison is still in a big city, but the campus is slightly set apart. Madison also has a wide variety of majors, which is great if you are undecided. I also like that Madison is right by the lakes; it makes for wonderful walks in the spring, summer, and fall.

If I could give my high school self advice it would be to take a semester off before starting college. Three weeks before I graduated high school, my older brother Tim passed away unexpectedly. We had planned for him to transfer schools so we could live and study together at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. After losing him, I felt as if I needed to continue with my college plans. I struggled through my freshman year, and I found it difficult to share my story or pain with others. Three weeks into my sophomore year I was struggling yet again, but this time it was worse. I talked with my parents and decided to withdraw from school. After a semester off, I went back to school and I truly enjoyed myself. If I could tell my high school self anything, it would be to take the semester off. I thought I would be judged for leaving, but it was the best decision I could have made. I now enjoy school, and Tim would have wanted it that way.

Jake

It's sorta kinda perfect. As Ders from Workaholics (a Wisco alum) put it, "I had the perfect college experience". FYI, he is the commencement speaker for the graduating class of Spring 2013.

We're pretty much awesome. You don't need me to tell you, just ask any Badger, former or current!

You have an entire city at your disposal. The city is campus and it's amazing how integrated they are. You can do anything, and most of it is free.

Party hard. Truth is, we work hard and play hard (possibly just a bit harder). We work 20 times harder during the week so we can party 50 times harder on the weekend. We don't get nearly enough credit for our academics and how hard each student works here. To get an "A" here requires an insane amount of time, effort, and energy. To even stay in school is no easy task. But we make up for our academic stresses by letting loose on the weekend and we get branded as mindless party freaks because of it.

Richard

The best place to get the college feel and college learning experience.

The best place to get the college feel and college learning experience.

I would advice myself to overachieve as a high school student and to be more active in high school sports. Overachieving would help prepare me better for my freshman year of college and being more active in high school sports may help transition me to play more in college, possibly on my schools sports team.

People afraid of big schools and who aren't good with meeting new people.

Brice

In the event that I could go back in time to talk to my high school self, one of the main things I would tell myself is to change my attitude towards classes I dreaded. I need to make the best out of those classes and do my absolute best. I would also tell myself to not to procrastinate on applying for scholarships and to apply for as many as possible. Another thing would be to tell myself to enjoy high school and not just rush to graduate. I would also tell myself to sit in the front of the class so that way I wouldn’t sleep and that I would pay attention more. I would need to get to school a little earlier so that I would have time to eat breakfast so that way I would be awake and have a good start on my school day. The last thing I would tell myself is to take the AP Statistics course test seriously so that way I could have received the college credit. In conclusion, I am following this advice now and it has made a major difference.

Caroline

If I had the capacity to return to my days as a high school senior I would apply for more scholarships because the cost of college is increasing annually. Furthermore, the uncertain financial climate that we live in does not lend itself to a person feeling fiscally secure at any moment. Scholarships and grants allow students to attend universities that otherwise would be placing a greater financial strain on a student's family. Renewable scholarships that carry over for all four years of a student’s undergraduate career, are especially lucrative, and the particular kind I would have encouraged my high school self to apply for. As a result of the escalating price of college, I may need to take out loans that could be a fiscal burden until my late twenties. Had I solicited more scholarships and grants, I could have been relieved from these potential fiscal constraints. It is my hope that I can share this advice with younger students so that they can take advantage of all of the scholarships available for qualified students.

The nearly tangible school pride that exists on the UW-Madison campus, and across the Wisconsin alumni community is the greatest asset the university possesses. This comradery unites current undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, and alumni. The Wisconsin spirit unites and strengthens badgers from all walks of life, regardless of various social and academic associations. Simply being a UW-Madison student affords me the opportunity to relate to accomplished professionals in a wide range of fields, simply based on the fact we are both badgers for life.

The worst thing about UW-Madison is the Wisconsin winter that descends upon campus in November and stays until March. The winters are filled with storms of heavy snow, frigid temperatures, and poorly plowed roads and sidewalks. The long walks students make on their commutes are lengthened by these unfortunate conditions that occupy the campus for many months. Although the snow can be beautiful upon first glance, that magnificence is deceiving. I am looking forward to migrating to place with a more hospitable year-round climate upon graduation.

Nicole, Keep on going with your school and work. In the end you'll take something away from it for the future, whether it be friendship, knowledge, money, experience or a memory. Manage your time wisely. You'll do much better in school and otherwise if you do. Take the time you need to prepare yourself. Pick up extra hours at work. That extra income can only help you, even if you do have to sacrifice some of your time. When you move to college, remember that almost everyone else is just as nervous as you. You will adjust in time, but don't let that stop you from going out and making new friends now. Do something to get involved. Before you know it, your 1st semseter will be gone, so use it wisely! Stay Strong, Nicole

The favoritism of minorities is the worst thing about UW Madison. More scholarships at Madison should be based on academic earnings, not your ethnicity.

The most frustrating thing about UW Madison is that minorities are given special treatment. Other students that are not a minority have the same academic standings or better than some and do not recieve the same benefits that the minorities recieve.

Dana

My classmates are intellectually gifted and can be described as workaholics.

My classmates are intellectually gifted and can be described as workaholics.

My school has a phenomenal social atmosphere and a unique involvement in politics as it is located in the capital of Florida.

Dana, Develop in academic knowledge, financial wisdom, and social interaction. First I would like to encourage you to enter into this new world of opportunity and mistakes, called College, with drive and energy like none other. Know that you will make mistakes but when you do, push back harder. Concerning academics, your main goal is to exit college with a wealth of knowledge represented by an excellent GPA. Develop a true passion for your career at an early stage and find something to keep you going. Just know that there is an internship waiting for you. Find your balance early on. Balance is the key in time management. Keep your eye on the prize which is to be a successful engineer. Stay strong in your beliefs, values, and morals. Make a difference. Don’t fall behind. College is like the military. Weak soldiers don’t make it to the end. Engineering is one of the toughest fields of study with a small representation of students similar to you. Sleep less, study more! Beware of the allusion of time. Time seems so full but it disintegrates like quick-sand once you enter the world of college. Take advantage of every second.

Gabrielle

I often clashed with schoolmates at school. Paired with my unfailing honesty and over-active mouth, my cantankerousness and determination caused recurrent foot-in-mouth disease. Consequently, classmates physically and emotionally bullied me through 11th grade when it climaxed after ostracization due to fictitious rumors. Accepted to university, I rightfully feared a childhood repeat. My roommate, a drama queen and avid gossip, spread hyperbolic hearsay about me based on shallow first impressions. I sunk into a depression during my first semester away from my best friend, my older sister. A resultant eating disorder and insomnia impaired my academic performance. After four years of spiritual inquiry and personal maturation, I have learned that people's false assumptions should not overpower the caring and capable person I am. If I were to speak to my high school self, I would say, “Don't disrespectfully misjudge others as others have you. Never give up the promise and love you have for fellow humans, because through openmindedness and realistic idealism you will help those who experience similar and more demanding difficulties. Spread the knowledge that many have granted you, in and out of the classroom, in hope that kindred spirits will continue the chain.”

The best thing about the UW is the laid-back attitude of the students. Although it gets a little intense during finals, most students are friendly and relaxed the rest of the time.

The worst thing about the UW is signing up for classes. Although being able to sign up online is convenient, the system isn't efficiently designed for students to be able to find the msot convenient schedules.

I would go back to myself a few months prior to my senior self. I would tell myself that I should take the leap and live with my sister in the state that I wanted, and now am attending. This would make my college experience much more affordable. I would be spending my senior year at a new school anyway, so why not go to a completely new area that will later benefit my college experience. I would also tell my senior self that I should take as many college courses as possible, as long as I knew they would transfer. I would also tell myself to take all of the challenging classes possible because knowing how to study is vital in college. Then, I would go on to comfort myself that you WILL meet people in college that get you and you just click with. Just be yourself and everything will fall into place.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the size. It is very large and it is easy to get mixed in with a large lecture. The large size can be frustrating but at the same time without its large size a lot of the opportunities available wouldn't exist.

This university has something for everyone, but I believe people who don't like to be active and interact with others should not attend this university. This university has many student organizations to fit everyones interests. Like I said, people who don't want to be involved and active in everyday campus life should not attend this school.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.