Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Nothing really. I choce this school for cost vs credibility.

Nothing really. I choce this school for cost vs credibility.

If a school doesn't feel right to you at first it probably is not where you belong. Once you choose a school remember you are paying to be there and while it may be hard sometimes if you work hard you'll make it through.

The classes are often the largest when they are the most difficult. (Basically the more attention you need the less you get)

Vick

The best thing about Wisconsin is harder to decide than picking what college to go to. State Street is one of the cutest, most interesting places I have ever walked around. Coming from New York, the quaint area that the city of Madison is is a great break from the intense, rushed lifestyle we live on the east coast. One think that I might change is more availability to the several shopping areas that may be found about 10 minutes driving away from campus in all directions. We often find ourselves visiting the same 5 places up and down State Street relentlessly, although there is plenty available. UW-Madison is huge. There is no denying it! Almost every lecture of mine has at least 300 people in it, but those classes feature discussion sections which I have never had more than 15 people in. I love that the school is big enough to be constantly, throughout 4 years, keep meeting new people, but my dorm hallway is small enough to feel like you have a home within this huge school. People react differently each time I tell someone I go to Wisconsin. Anyone who knows the school with it’s fabulous and only rising positive reputation is thrilled for me, and half of the time says “go badgers!” (one of my favorite phrases of all time.) That reaction is normally when meeting people throughout the mid-west. However, back home, the reaction is “oh, that’s nice.” In my prestigious town, non-Ivy is somewhat frowned upon, and public schools are even more discouraged. However, again, the popularity of Wisconsin has been only steadily increasing, with 6 people of my 400-person graduating class migrating here this past year. I spend most of my time on State Street – whether grabbing a bite to eat with friends, shopping, or studying in a coffee shop. School pride is not even a question. If you don’t have school pride, DO NOT COME HERE. I would say that I wear a Wisconsin item of clothing at least 2 times a week. On State Street, within 2 blocks of each other are about 5 different novelty stores featuring our red and white coloring. In every lecture hall, about 3 football jerseys can be found, a dozen ‘Bucky’ hats, and about 70 t-shirts featuring something about our school being the amazing place that it is. Again, it is SO hard to pick out a single favorite moment here, but something that really stands out in my mind was my first football game here. Walking out on state street, there is not a color to seen other than red and white. Even people not going to the game sport our school colors. Then the walk down to Camp Randall, our football stadium, is a continuous flood of both students and alumni rushing to watch their beloved Badgers. It is easily the most amazing, exciting experience of my life. And not to mention the wave done at each game, with several rounds including double-time, slow motion, and criss-crossing arms. Most frequently I hear complains about the weather. It is clearly a cold place, but there are freak days that the wind chill is almost unbearable. But honestly, just stay inside as much as you can on these days – get to class, get home, and deal with it! And maybe invest in some long underwear.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Ian's Pizza is known for it's wide variety of creative slices. From "Steak and Fries" to "Mac n' Cheese," Ian's lets customers get creative with their pizza. Whether for lunch or late-night snacking, Ian's is a UW favorite!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

With calm music and a relaxing environment, the State Street Starbucks is an incredible study spot. Built to serve students, the upstairs area has everything from couches to desks, all surrounding an electric fire place!

When you step off campus what do you see?

"State Street Brats" is a bar right in the heart of State Street that is so historic and adored in downtown Madison that it has actually recently been declared a state landmark. With both the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network, as well as some of the best finger-foods around, Brats is sure to show you a great game-day experience!

The University Bookstore has an enormous, inexpensive selection of nearly every office supply you can imagine. With an entire binder dedicated to binders alone, all of your back-to-school needs can be taken care of in one place!

Tell us about the food and dining options.

While the main "off-campus" area is only feet away from "campus," it features dozens of ethnic restaurants. The best is too hard to choose, so here is a sampling of restaurants. From Greek to Afghan to African to Laos to Thai, State Street has it all!

The UW Credit Union has a lot of benefits for students, such as free ATMS, convenient locations, long hours, and free online banking. They also often sponsor events for students on campus, last year bringing the musical act "Rockapella" to Madison.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

After each game, the band plays it's way down University Avenue in a post-game celebration.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Fans walking back from our victory over Minnesota.

UW is diverse in it’s own way. There is definitely a gay community at school, which is only to be expected at such a liberal university in the liberal city of Madison. My sorority is actually close friends with the gay fraternity on campus, which is a really fun experience. Racially, there is not a lot of diversity. One of my friends, every time she sees a large African American male, points and screams, “look it’s a football player!” which is blunt, but unfortunately, often true. In my women’s studies class last semester we learned that the average family income of undergrad students is around $35,000. I don’t really know what that means in life overall, but I know that this kids from the coast’s parents make a lot more than that on average, which I guess is understood by our out-of-state tuition that is nearly 4 times the price of what in-state students pay to come here. That being said, there are a surprising amount of out-of-state students here, which does give the university its somewhat diverse feel. I have met people from almost all of the 50 United States, plus several international students from places like Sweden, Australia, and even Iraq. Pretty much, if you are very conservative, you would feel out of place here. Most students, myself included, wear jeans and a sweatshirt to class, if not an entire sweat suit. Comfort is key here. However, there are of course girls that get up and put makeup on every morning. I don’t really get it, they are not the majority, but they do exist. There is a huge in-state vs. out-of-state divide, which I will get to later, but it is interesting because I tend to find that most in-state students are here to major in whatever they plan to do in life, and to graduate into a job at the end of their 4 years here. However, most out-of-state kids are here for 4 years of fun, majoring in something they enjoy, only to go to grad school after their time here.

There is a lot of talk about the “Coastie”/”Sconnie” divide. I never heard these words before I actually came to school, but since I have gotten here, it is one of the most frequently joked about topics. Pretty much, “Coasties” are people who are from the East and West coasts, mostly from the suburbs of large cities such as LA, Washington D.C., New York, Boston, Miami, and Philadelphia. These people often life in ‘private dorms’, with a prime location on State Street. The main difference between the public and private dorms themselves is that the private dorm lifestyle features suites of 2-4 people sharing a bathroom, with larger bedrooms and conveniently located dining halls in the basements and gyms located in the building. This lifestyle, as opposed to the public life of shared bathrooms, dining halls, and gyms with the rest of the university, costs a great amount more money, which the private residents clearly have due to their greatly inflated tuition costs that are equal to the family incomes of many “Sconnie” families. As a result, the “Coastie” lifestyle is frequently subjected to gossip, both positive and negative. “Coasties” are often criticized as being extremely materialistic, and that they wish to have zero interaction with “Sconnies.” However, there are many flaws in this system of Sconnies vs. Coasties. Most distinctly, many of the residents of the private dorms are from Chicago, or Minneapolis suburbs, and even the occasional Milwaukee suburb, which are all very much part of the mid-west. Second, I have a large amount of friends that live in public dorms, refuting the opinion that we hate “Sconnies.” Let’s be real, why would anyone choose to go to school where they supposedly ‘hate’ the locals. Third, of the 6 people from my high school graduating class who came to UW-Madison, 4 live in private dorms, and 2 live in public. That’s right, 2 Scarsdale, New Yorkers in public dorms. Read it and weep! Us “Coasties” picked UW-Madison for a reason, and we love it just as much as you “Sconnies” do. Maybe we were not raised watching Badger football games, or eating cheese curds, but we love sipping on Spotted Cow (the local brew) just as much as you do, so get over it.

These stereotypes, for the most part, are quite accurate. While any day of the week one can find people hitting the bars, there are as many people spending the night in one of our many libraries. Students here at Madison work hard, and party even harder.

The stereotypes. Everyone knows, in our Big Ten legacy, we love to party! Give us anything, and we'll make an event out of it. February 29th? A Leap Year's "new year" party. Superbowl Sunday? Blue drinks all around! (go giants!) And I need not mention our infamous 3 nights annually celebrating Halloween. But what is there not to celebrate? With some of the best sports teams in the country, along with the praised Business and Journalism programs here at the UW, what is there not to celebrate?

There is no ‘most popular’ group on campus. The athletes are clearly worshiped by all, because they give us the many titles we earn each year. The school has two newspapers, The Badger Herald and The Daily Cardinal; both respected and frequently read all over the city. For people who were high school athletes, there are many club and intramural sports on campus that people get involved in. There are clubs for pretty much everything. From business, to photography, to Habitat for Humanity, pretty much everything is covered on campus. And clearly, if it is not here already, you can bring it here. My sorority, as of right now, is what I am most involved in on campus. We meet at least once a week, and are extremely involved both on and off campus. Each Greek organization has a philanthropy, or charitable event that they do annually. We have three. First, we have a fashion show that benefits the Make a Wish foundation. We have even gotten to help film a commercial for the foundation with a child whose wish it was to be in a commercial! Also, each Friday, we visit local Madison public elementary schools and read with students who are below their expected reading levels. Finally, we have an event called Celebration for Shona, in which we spend time in local pediatric units of hospitals. Besides these philanthropic events, we have socials with other groups across campus; participate in the competitions of homecoming week, and much more. However, I do have to say that being Greek on campus, I am actually a minority. While Wisconsin is a huge school, it is different from most schools in that Greek life here is lacking as compared to most other large schools. While going Greek is certainly fun, it is not at all necessary to enjoy your time here. It is actually more like the University is all of our fraternities, and Chi Omega is just my smaller group within that larger Frat. Games are a must. Season tickets are the most amazing thing that have ever happened to me. However, my best friend here hates sports, so it is definitely not a requirement. But really? Go to games, freak. I have personally been to many guest speakers and shows across campus, but I know that most people do not. I have been to a step show performance but the multi-cultural sororities and fraternities on campus, I saw Barack Obama speak twice, Chelsea Clinton once, Hilary Clinton once, a show called “the race show” on prejudice, the Ying Yang Twins, the DJ GirlTalk, Rockapella, and much more, all at the student union literally 3 blocks away from my dorm. And it is not just famous people – there are many student-run events and performances across campus as well. A lot of people do not take advantage of everything available here on campus, because it is nearly impossible to do so, but take in as much as you can – it is worth it. I met my closest friends in my dorm. Of my two best friends at school, one is my neighbor, and one went to high school with a different neighbor. My dorm is extremely friendly, and my door is always open. There are constantly people stopping by to say hello, hang out for a while, and talk about anything really. However, once your door is closed, everyone is aware that your privacy is needed.

None of my professors know my name, not a single one. However, I have close relationships with every single one of my T/As, who run the discussion sections we have complementing our lectures. Freshman year is mostly a year of large, basic intro courses, so while I do have some friends that go out of their way to introduce themselves to each professor, I don’t really see the point. If there is a particular class that you have a passion in, I would say make sure to speak to your professor about it, but other that you making an effort there is little interaction between students and professors. Study habits of students vary a lot. Some people easily spent their nights at the library, still feeling as if they have not put enough time in to their academics that day. Others will never open a book until the night before an exam. It really is what works for the individual. I will say that a lot of students skip lectures. I personally find that simply sitting in lectures reduces your workload and increases your understanding of the subject greatly, but everyone has their own style. I have not really taken any odd classes yet, but I have heard of a lot of crazy classes in the foreign language department – which is one of the best in the country. From the basics of French and Spanish, to Swahili and the Star Trek language of Klingon, you can literally take any language you can think of. I am not actually a Journalism major yet. You apply into the competitive journalism school once you have taken 40 credits at the university, which tends to be around the end of first semester your sophomore year. It kind of sucks that if I do not get into the school I have to major in something else, but there are various related majors such as communication arts that will work well for me, and applicants understand that the difficult process to enter the school is only to keep to the prestigious name high.

Victoria

Everyone is unique, you wont find 2 people with the exact same backround anywhere.

Nothing. It is exactly the same as every other big campus.

Don't let any one thing determine where you go to college. It is so easy to have a really good time on a campus tour and decide right then, this is where I want to be. It is really important to think about the kind of activities you want to do, the kind of people you want to meet, and how much you want to spend. Take everything into consideration. Try to spend a night on campus with someone who lives in the dorms. It's a crazy rxperience. Most importantly, once you decide, get involved. The worst thing that you can do is tell yourself that you will sign up for that club or group next semester. You can't make friends by sitting in your dorm room! Join everything that sounds remotely interesting. Go to a few meetings before your homework load gets to be too much! It is easier to stay involved than it is to get involved half way through. Finally, don't stress too much. You probably aren't going to lose out on a job or a internship because you got a C on that one test freshman year. Put your sanity first!

Nathan

On the bigger side. Lots of fun to be had. Hard academically

On the bigger side. Lots of fun to be had. Hard academically

Most important is to visit and when possible see campus life by shadowing a student.

Kevin

UW-Madison is a very liberal and culturally diverse school that offers classes for a wide range of interests.

I feel that UW-Madison is the best public school in the state, so no matter what my major is, I feel like I'm getting a good education.

I feel as though it's more important to follow your interests instead of picking a school or major based on the amount of money it makes.

Kurt

I would tell them to find a campus atmosphere that allows their child the best chance at success. Whether this means a large University where a student will be presented with many opportunities, or a smaller university where a student will be able to focus more on their intended career and make due with the opportunities that are present. Choose the University which you feel will be the best reward for the hard work that you put in during high school. Approach the selection process with an open mind and do not be frightened or intimidated by larger schools, as choosing the path of least resistance almost always leads to the smallest amount of individual devlopment.

A person that wants to take advantage of a lot of opportunities and not just sit around and waste there college experience by not getting involved in some way. Any person whether or not they have a plan for their career can benefit from the vastness of opportunites that are present at the University of Wisconsin. I guess another attribute of a person who should attend this school is someone who wants to be part of a great tradition and is proud of what they do.

There are so many opportunities and things to do that you sometimes do not realize the opportunities that you really want to take until it is too late and you are already nearly finished with your collegiate career. Sometimes there is a heavy emphasis on drinking and it becomes difficult to find people who are interested in doing something else.

Ryan

Made my best friends there and we all have high aspirations for each others individual futures.

Give your kids every possible opportunity out there. Don't limit them because you are afraid. The more they can be exposed to the better. Every experience you have shapes your mind. Good, Bad, Crazy, Unethical, Fun, Spiritual, and Frightening make you into well rounded person. Ignorance and the fear of understanding breed more stupidity and indifference. Give them the options to choose and if they have been taught well, the myriad of tools at their exposure will take them further than ever imaginable.

The out of state people from the East Coast are really annoying, because they often times are more affluent are arrogant towards the midwestern folks. They really aren't a problem, but if there was one thing I could eliminate, that would be it.

Kevin

People tend to associate the school with the state of Wisconsin, so people think of cows, cheese and beer. That's not entirely true, though cheese and beer are very prevalent in Madison. People who have been to Madison know it as a great city with one of the best nightlifes in the Midwest.

The social life both on campus and in the city of Madison compliment each other very well. I have visited dozens of large state colleges and there are very few like UW-Madison.

Parents, leave it entirely up to your son or daughter as to where they want to go--don't even suggest places they should apply. Students, make it your responsbility to decide where to apply, visit each campus you get in to and try to see if you could see yourself there, then make the decesion based on that as well as any monetary concerns of yours. To make the most of the college experience, be open to making friends, be open to trying new things and don't be too judgemental of anybody for anything. College isn't about the grades or the classes or the degree--it's about making friends for life and having fun, so keep that in mind too.

Melanie

Parents need to be involved. My parents told me I didn't have a choice about going to college...which was fine with me because I was planning on going anyway. However, when it came to choosing the college I wanted to attend - my parents were no where to be found. Chosing a school is a hard and very time consuming decision. It wasn't until I actually came to college did I realize the tremendous amounts of school options in this country. I am not particularily happy with the decision I made, but I don't want to transfer. I know if my parents would have been more involved in my decision making process, such as attending tours with me and helping me reasearch or make a pro and con list of each school, I would be much happier. They know me more than anyone else and know my personal needs. Attending college has been difficult for me due to combined health issues and financial issues. If my parents had helped me in my decision, I know they would have pointed out some very important downfalls of the universities I chose. So, students ...ask for help.

I feel the availability of extra curricular activities, clubs, and other groups at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is fantastic. Everything from Tae Kwon Do classes and chess clubs to business groups, environmental groups, and volunteer groups - there is literally something for everyone to get involved in here! The involvement in these groups often provides a person with many life skills including leadership, social, and organizational skills. All you need the the motivation and initiative to get involved.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a very outgoing and goal oriented personality. A person who is going to college soley to have fun should not attend this college...you will not make it. You have to be very motivated to teach your self a lot of the material needed and know how to manage time wisely and responsibly. If you need help you need to ask for it. You need to pursue help and any other academic or personal aspects you want from this university. The faculty here feels you are an adult and treats you as such.

Sara

It is in a great cultural and fun city. There are a lot of big classes and it is very academically competetive. Great school spirit!

I would say make sure the college you go to fits you. Visit the campus and tour the area and city around it. Decide if you want large lectures or more intimate classes. See if the college caters to your planned major and career choice. Once you choose where you want to go, make sure you put yourself out there to experience new things and meet new people. Join an organization that interests you, be it intermural sports or student government. Start volunteering for a cause you care about. It's all worth it and if you are willing to put yourself out there, you will reap many benifits and have a more fulfilled experience you will never forget!!

If someone is shy and don't feel comfortable seeking out help from professors, TAs or advisors, they won't get help. It's a big city so there may be more crime than other places

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.