Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Renee

In my science classes, my classmate are very competitive since most are pre-med, but in my social science classes, my classmates are more willing to help out eachother.

When looking for the 'right' college, search for a school that fits your learning needs. If you have trouble learning, especially learning the subject you plan to pursue, look at smaller community colleges. These schools allow more one-on-one help and are not as competitive, which will make you more likely to succeed in college and in other areas of your life. If you are at the higher end of your class in high school and are independent, attend a larger university. These colleges are more competitive and will continue to challenge you the way you to be challenged so that you do not get bored. To make the most of college, do not give up. As a freshman, many students feel home sick and many transfer to a smaller colleges closer to home. However, the students who stuck it out their freshman year ended up liking their original school more than the students who transfered liked their new school. Live in the residence halls your freshman year and get involved! Don't just get involved in activites you think you would like, there are many activites you wouldn't realize you'd enjoy until you actually tried them.

Someone who is self motivated and wants to learn.

Daniel

The schol is so diverse, it can be hard to focus on the area you are intrested in without getting distracted by the social activities or even coursework outside of the major.

Go with what ever school is best rated. If you get into a great school but it isn't in your kind of town, trust the ratings and endure the four years of unpleasentness to make off with an excellent degree. You shouldn't be enjoying the sights anyway; you should be studying.

UW-Madison is great for almost everyone. However, if you expect small classes starting freshman year, you might be disappointed.

Natasha

Often when a former college freshman comes upon an incoming freshman, their first reaction is to tell that person something they wish they had known before they chose or entered a college. For choosing a college, I would suggest writing down certain criteria that are necessary and then eliminating the universities that don't meet that criteria. Nothing is more important in choosing what college to go to than a person's own personal preferences. It is essential to remember however, that some criteria may not be as important as one might think. Thus, if a college is perfect in every way except one, it could still be the right school. Once the school has been chosen and the freshman has arrived, it is important to not only be as friendly to those in the same dorm (since they are the people most likely to become your friends), but also to become as involved as possible in as many different clubs or activites as possible. At first, this is a great idea, especially before the homework load has really begun. Later on, however, I would cut out the activites that are not as enjoyable to lower one's workload.

Before I came to Madison, I wish I had been more informed on the different classes offered. The SOAR program offered by Madison for incoming freshmen did not help me choose classes that were especially helpful for my major. Also, if I had realized how helpful it would have been to meet with a counselor specific to my major, I would have done that instead.

For the most part, I brag to my friends about our football team and the overall prestige that comes with the university's name. The Badger football team has, in the past, been a great football team and one of the school's most popular pasttimes involves going to the games. As for the prestige associated with Madison, it aids many students in being hired by employers that will serve their best interests, such as big companies for Business majors, and well respected labs for Biology majors.

Katherine

It's a beautiful campus and the people are very open-minded. For being racially and ethnically not very diverse, there is still a lot of cultural diversity on campus and opportunity to learn about other cultures/lifestyles. The workload can be tough, but the fun balances it out.

Definitely go visit the campus and talk to current students as well as alumni you may know. Take into account the location and proximity to home, and the weather and campus layout. Finding an environment you will feel most comfortable in yet will still be challenged is important.

It could be very intimidating to someone who is shy and doesn't like to be around a lot of people.

Erin

The location to my home town was perfect. Only 1 and 1/2 hours away. Transportation back and forth is a breeze with a bus the state offers. My school has sooooooooo much to offer. I 'm interested in medicine and UW Madison has so much to offer me. I was able to jump right in my Freshman year and I took a class which offered "hands on" in the radiology department of the University Hospital. This has inspired me to pursue a major in Biomedical Engineering. I just applied to the program, wish me luck!

One of the first questions to ask yourself is how far away from home do you want to be? College is scary , and you may feel more comfortable being closer to home. Knowing you can hop on a bus and be home for the weekend is very comforting, even if you never find the time to do it! Ask yourself how you will get back and forth. It makes a difference with you and your family. Next, think about what profession interests you. If you have an idea, then look for colleges that match your interests. If not, no worries, just enroll and pick classes that interest you. Your counselor can help with that. Find out which are the "Freshman" dorms and stay there. It's fun to meet new students in the same boat as you. Get involved with something you are passionate about. I love volleyball, so I am playing on UW Madison's Club traveling team. It's so fun and I've met some great friends. It keeps me in shape and busy so I am forced to budget my time well for my schoolwork. I love my school. Go Badgers!

I guess that would be the strong academics and challenges that I am faced with each day. It's a very hard school, however so far I'm doing ok. I got my first "B" ever in my life last semester, but I learned so much that I decided it was ok. Medical schools might not want me now, but I learned so much and know I did my best. I find UW Madison to be quite a challenge, I guess that's what keeps me going.

Arjun

A picturesque and research focused school.

A picturesque and research focused school.

Campus visits are often touted as the 'absolute best' way to get a feel for a school and decide if a college is right. However, I would suggest talking to students who attend the specific college, particularly those who have been to the same high school as the prospective student or who come from a similar background, about their experiences. It is not only the lecture halls and football stadium that constitute one's college experience. It is the interactions with teaching assistants and professors, the availability of courses that interest the student, and late nights with Starbuck's Coffee to name a few. Learning from other's experiences at a college is an invaluable tool in the college selection process. With regard to making the most of the college experience, there is one thing above all else that I would say: Do not be afraid! Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to new people right away, don't be afraid to join that organization that seems cool, don't be afraid to take risks. Courage is key, because at the end of the day, college is entirely what you make of it.

Mostly motivated and dedicated students who are not afraid to meet new people and interact in a large environment. There is ample opportunity to get involved and get help with academics, it is up to the student to do the rest.

Corinna

They not only should look at what type of academics the school has, but also what kind of clubs and extra curricular activities are offered, the demographics of the school, and what kind of a setting the school is in (rural vs. urban, etc.). I definitely recommend visiting a school at least once before deciding to attend it. Visiting the school can bring a whole different light to your perspective (and not always a good light). I think it also helps to search the internet to see what kind of opinions are out there and what the pros and cons are about the schools you're looking at.

The type of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who doesn't want to be challenged and who doesn't want to learn or accept new ways of thinking about things. Also, a type of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who's not open to the world and not open to different cultures.

I tell them about all the different opportunities I have here, whether it be academic opportunities or opportunities outside of the classroom. This includes the many clubs offered on campus and all the volunteer opportunities.

Bobby

Be sure to visit all different types of schools. I had never even considered the school I attended and just happened to apply because the application was one of the easier ones. I visited all different types of schools because I wasn't sure at all where I wanted to go, and ended up visiting the school I would later attend. I am thankful everyday that I did take the weekend to visit that school because I could not imagine myself anywhere else after graduating. Always remember to keep an open mind.

To get involved in sports early and often, both being a fan of varsity sports and taking advantage of the intramural and clubs offered. I also wish I was given more information regarding different majors.

This school offers something for everyone. It is able to do this because of it's size and opportunities.

Caissa

My school is in one word: insane; we work hard and we play hard.

My school is in one word: insane; we work hard and we play hard.

How much alcohol impacts social life and stuff because that's sending the wrong message to people, especially underclassmen.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.