Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Lindsay

The campus is very big, which is a good thing. Even though it is big, it still feels like a community. There is a lot of school pride - especially at the football games. Whenever I tell people from home that I go to Madison they are always very impressed.

Students tend to surround themselves with people from around the same geographic location they call home. Wisconsin is a very diverse campus, and the students can be very politically active.

Mostly, but Wisconsin students also know how to work hard.

That Wisconsin students are big partiers.

As a freshman, my classes are large lectures, so my professors typically do not know me personally. If this is important, though, the professors hold office hours so you can go talk to them one-on-one. My classes are demanding, so I study every weeknight, and that is pretty common among other students I know, as well.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, it is because I am studying or hanging out with other people in my dorm. People party a lot. Sometimes it is hard to find social events that don't involve drinking.

Kelly

I love Wisconsin. I think students here are proud to be Badgers. The school spirit is insane and undescribable. To be in the student section at a Badger home football game is a great experience. The school is definitely not too large. I think sometimes it could be bigger. I am always running into people I know everywhere I go. Madison is definitely a college town. When you walk around in downtown Madison everyone is usually between the ages of 18 and 25. It is a really great place to live with tons of activities and events going on every night. It is really hard to be bored living in Madison. Also, the scenery is wonderful (the Capital and two lakes...what else could you ask for?). On campus, I spend most of my time at Grainger because I am a business student and that is the building the business school is in. I sometimes think that Grainger is my second home with all of the amenities it offers (library, computer lab, cafeteria, lockers, study rooms). I think the only thing it is missing is my bedroom.

In Madison, people are very accepting of others. It is a very open environment. It is hard to be out of place at Madison because there will always be someone that is interested in what you like (there are just so many different students here). Students wear a variety of clothing to class. It varies from sweat pants and a sweat shirt to a suit and tie (people usually only wear suits on interview days though). But the variety does exist. There are a lot of students from Wisconsin, but there are definitely many students from out of state. The people from the coasts are given a harder time and often called "coasties." But overall, Madison is very excepting of everyone. Many students are very interested in politics because we are the capital of Wisconsin and the University is only blocks away from the Capital building itself. Most students are also very liberal.

The partying stereotype is not true at all. Most people don't even go out every weekend. It is a select few people that party almost every night and they usually drop out after their freshman year.

All Wisconsin students party almost every night of the week.

There is not really a "most popular" group. It all depends on what you are intereseted in. There is a group for everyone. I am involved in Associated Students of Madison (ASM), which is the student government on campus, and Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), which is a business student organization on campus. I like both of these orgs. for very different reasons. With ASM, I am the Campus Safety Chair, so I get to help the community and make my campus safer. With SIFE, I am a project leader for a group that works on a simulation for high school students, so I get to teach them about the finances they will encounter after high school. The dorms are a great experience. I lived in them for two years and you meet so many people. For the most part, whoever is on your floor will be your best friends for the next four years. You go out together, study together, eat together, and learn to live on your own together. Athletic events are very popular since school spirit is so prevalent here. The most popular sports are mens football, mens basktetball, and mens hockey. I would definitely recommend getting football tickets (the price it totally worth every penny). The social scene really exists. At least someone on campus will be going out every night of the week. There is never a shortage of things to do. I am still wondering how I am going to fit everything I want to do into four years and it is coming down to crutch time. Every year, Halloween and the Mifflin Street Block Party are the two main events that go on in Madison. For the most party these are just two huge parties that take place on two different streets in Madison (State Street and Mifflin). Basically, everyone is just drinking and having a good time being with their friends.

Professors here only know your name if you make an effort to participate in class or visit them during their office hours. It is really on the student to get to know the professor. I like to think your experience is what you make of it. The large classes are nice for when you don't have time to read the chapters ahead of time, so you know you will not be singled out to answer a question. I almost feel like I learn more knowing that I only have to worry about paying attention and taking notes instead of also having to try to formulate answers to questions. Students here are very smart and it is great to be able to talk about real topics with other people my age. Students will also take the skills they learn in class and try to apply them in the real world especially in the business school where students will often start their own company with the support of other students and professors. It is just a great environment where we are all constantly learning whether we are in the classroom or just hanging out with friends. As far as getting a job after college, recruitment at Madison is amazing. So many top companies come to Madison to recruit solely Wisconsin students and that is a great feeling to know they just want us. With that though, our professors put a lot of pressure on us to do well and make our classes challenging so we are prepared for these companies and will be successful.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.