Utah Valley University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Utah Valley University know before they start?

Melissa

Before your freshman year in college, I, future self, want you to broaden your view on life while you still can. What do you find interesting? Pursue it, learn about it, live it, join a club that revolves around it, and just do it. Don’t worry about the casualties that will distract you or the hurdles you have to jump to get to it. Stay young as long as you can, because college hits you like a brick wall and before you know it you’re 18 years old going on 30. Be responsible when needed come, but be careless in between. Stay up all night and wake up early. Don’t waste another day worrying about the future because the future will happen regardless if you worry or not. Fill the days with laughter and adventures but most importantly, find the perfect balance between reckless and responsibility. You only get one chance, so do something about it instead of worrying about the inevitable.

Eugene

Remember who you are and what you stand for and if you keep on doing what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got. Get it!

Rebecca

As a high school freshman, it is extremely important to live in the moment. I was very scared at that age to go to college; I didn't want high school to end. As I got older, however, all I wanted was for high school to be over. But when it's over, it's all over, and there is no going back. You need to have the time of your life. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you because in four years, those people won't matter. Other people's opinions of you are not worth your time. You have to discover who you are, and don't let anyone else do that for you. It's okay to branch out of what you're comfortable with, especially if you are unhappy. Most important of all, keep those friends that you know will stick by you through thick and thin. You aren't going to have the same friends in four years, but you will figure out the one's who truly care about you. Enjoy high school, live in the moment, and discover yourself. Most of all, be happy.

Nathan

Given the chance to go back in time and give myself advice about entering college, I'd encourage myself to focus on the things that are most important but to also live a balanced life. I'd say to hit the ground running and do everything I can to get through college with high grades and the best education and understanding of the principles taught in class as possible. Don't waste time doing things that aren't going to benefit me in the long run. Particpate in social activities on campus and get involved with a club or organized group in order to take a break from studying and rejuvenate my mind. By doing these things my college experience would be fuller and more gratifying.

Ruth

If I could go back in time and talk myself as a high school senior about knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to prepare for what lies ahead. You see, I attended a community college and that life was hard as it was. Coming out of high school, was stressful but also felt good. I was happy I was done with school but scarred of what was next to come. I had no sense of direction or didnt have anything planned. My parents didn't know what to do and assumed the school did enough to make sure I was ready for the next part of my life which was college. I had no money for school, I didnt apply to any major universities and I didn't take it serious until I graduated. I had to work and take care of my parents while attending community college. It was tough, juggling and trying to be an adult. I did not get to finish because of financial reasons but I am going back to finally finish and retrieve my degree. The only thing is finding finances to pay for school.

W. Stacy E.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. Walt Disney

Kassadi

Don't rush into anything. You have all the time in the world to grow up and become an adult, if you give yourself the option to stay young. Moving out is just more responsibility, if you want to stay with your parents, don't be embarassed! You will just miss them more if you leave. College isn't that scary, don't be afraid to ask for help, or talk to your classmates if you feel alone. Also, spend your money wisely. You can't go around blowing all your college savings on clothes, movies and food with your friends. Scholarships are harder to get than people say they are, even with your grades! Just be very aware of what you want to spend your money on, you'd be surprised how much you save on the little things. Finally-be yourself. If you pretend to be someone you aren't, who's to say who you really are, or really could be?

david

I would tell myself to not make music my one and only option in life and that half the people I was best friends with in high school would be people I don't even associate with anymore. To realize that there's a ton of other stuff I'm good at and that the video classes he's taking pay off because I eventually change my major to film and I love it! I'd tell myself to not rush into a major and take a ton of classes my first semester just for the sake of graduating because that results in us failing everything our first semester and we just suffer the consequences for a while there. The best thing to do would be to just get all my generals out of the way first because from there I could go on to do whatever else. To take advantage of all the resources this school has to offer because the counselors and advisors really do look out for our best interest and that hard work really does pay off, finally to have fun and be a part of whatever you can and to not take yourself so seriously.

Believe in yourself. Stop holding back comments and contributing to classroom discussions because you don't want people to judge you. Stop worrying if what you're wearing and acting like is "cool" enough. Stop letting your own insecurities hold you back from reaching out to others and making new friends. This is your time. It is your time to live and make mistakes. Mistakes help us find and grow into the person that you want to become. Don't take opportunites for granted. Go to every game, tryout of every sports team, stay after school to get help on an assignment. Do you want to know who cares if you fail? Nobody. There are no failures only learning experiences. You can grow from every experience you've had. Is it worth missing out on experiences because of fear? The only fear that you should have is regret of not trying.

Be who you are, no matter what they may say, because a day will come when they will be gone. A day when their words and judgments no longer echo in your head, when you are blissfully alone with your own thoughts, choices, and actions. That empty space their hatred once occupied will be filled with regret and a lifetime of wishing you had been someone else. In the middle of the night you will taste the bitter poison of self depreciation and doubt and wonder why you let them take your happiness from you, why you gave so much credence to the ideas of people who never cared about the effect of their words. Don't let them. Stand up, embrace who you are and everything that you are capable of and explode into a dazzling constellation of beauty and light. Don't ever believe in what they thought of you, because one day you will look into the mirror and believe it. Don't spend years trying to repair that damage. You can't repair it. Get up and live, let every pent up dream inside of you break free, flooding the world with what you can do.