Western Washington University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Washington University

Kat

Western is a good school if you want a close knit community and to have access to several opportunities. There are many avenues to express yourself, and the view of the water is gorgeous. The access to downtown is immense and filled with interesting activities to occupy your time. The library is full of helpful information over several topics and a great place to study. There's a place on campus for everyone. Most of the faculty are very accommodating and willing to help you if you have a problem.

Alee

Western is a very good university to start your four year at, especially if you would like to explore you options in life. Western is open to many things and the student government is also open to hearing the student voices. There are many interesting clubs with many students who are open to trying new things. I fell like everyone is friendly and open to accepting. It depends on who you talk to, really. But overall, Western is a good school to attend.

I love Western Washington University! Coming from a student who's been here for two years and traveled here out of state from Utah, I consider the school to be home and I miss it whenever I leave. The community fostered by campus makes me feel a part of something good and thriving. There's no greek life, but that doesn't seem to make anyone sad and gets down-voted every year, as there's many clubs to join. The safety of campus is really great. The campus police are always available and our green-coat safety patrol are around at night to help walk with you where you need to go. The people at Western are pretty chill too. There's a love of the arts and everyone is very liberal and politically active and involved. Not the biggest party scene on campus but travel a little ways off campus and you'll find your stereotypical party experience on the weekends. Academically I've heard it both ways. Some students have a hard time and others do great in their programs. I believe it depends on your major but I've met many amazing professors at Western. The facilities at the school are also really good. There's everything from the writing center's purpose of helping you with your essays to our state-of-the-art rec center to our student union which houses our bookstore and outdoor center for going on excursions. There's so much to do at Western Washington University and I wouldn't want to call anywhere else home.

Mason

I really enjoy Western. The Campus is gorgeous, I always love walking to classes. The people are super friendly and accepting, making friends is not an issue. The teachers care about their students, and work with them to ensure their success. I love the school.

ayeshet

the good thing about western is that teacherare always available to help students

Madison

Western Washington University is such a small part of the world, but the students here have large hearts and fight for what they believe in. WWU is a school that encourages students to participate in clubs and to become part of a community. Students are politically and environmentally active, and there are many outdoor activities that students can participate in. Professors have designated office hours, but are willing to arrange time with people who cannot attend office hours. On-campus housing encourages community and organizes activities such as dances, pumpkin carving, and haunted houses. Off- campus housing is available, and many students rent houses or apartments close to campus. Students get free bus passes and there is a late night shuttle just for WWU students who need to leave campus later at night. There are many fun activities downtown, one of my personal favorites being late night pizza at La Fiamma's pizza window. My only major complaint about WWU is the food. The dining halls say the offer healthy food, but the only truly healthy food I've seen most days is salad. The are very few fruits and vegetables, and most meals are very high in calories and very unhealthy. Overall, WWU is a great school, and I am so happy I have made it my home.

Briana

I love WWU so much! Im so happy I picked it for my undergrad. The people are amazing, everyone is very open and there are so many different types of people. WWU is not "clicky" at all. Everyone is friends with everyone! WWU is very open minded and excepting to all!

Natalie

If you love the outdoors and being active, Western is a great school. The diversity here is terrible. Although Western promotes the diversity, being a minority will be very noticeable and has made me uncomfortable on campus as I have encountered experiences. But the staff and faculty here on campus will make you feel welcomed and very comfortable. I really enjoy the talks about social justice and everything.

Alina

Western is not the best school for balancing out your credits, but there are great outdoor and indoor activities available. Although there's a limited selection of classes you can take and sign-up for, there are classes restricted to certain majors and minors, so you're not totally out of luck when it comes to choosing classes. At Western, there's also beautiful scenery, so do it for the scenery if not for the classes.

Apryl

A truly amazing school. It is in a beautiful location surrounded by both sea and mountains. Its also right in-between the two metropolitan cities of Vancouver and Seattle. Not only is the location prime but the people are also friendly and open minded. Wouldn't change my decision for the world. However it is an expensive school... one down side.

Bethany

Imagine it is your first time visiting the college you have had your eyes set on since you started your college search. Youare alone and not sure what to do. With hesitation you approach an informational table: "Hello my name is Maria," the person at the table says with a smile, " I use them, they pronouns, what can I do for you?" This introduction throws you off but it comforts you and you proceed to ask your questions with a bit more confidence. Fast forward a few weeks to your first exam, you are sitting in the Disabilities office thankful for a place dedicated to help you show your full potential by making accommodations . Within a few weeks, finals approach and all around campus there is mechanisms to help students de-stress: dogs and cats in the library for anxiety help, booths throughout campus offering tips and tools to help with nerves. This scene of bliss; this welcoming community is Western Washington University (WWU). My time at WWU has been a marvelous experience. At WWU, I feel accepted for who I am and so do other students around me. Faculty and students at WWU strive to make sure anyone who steps foot on campus regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or disability feels welcome and safe under all circumstances. My overall opinion of WWU is this: It is an accepting and safe place for its students and I doubt I will ever regret attending and being a part of what the school is doing.

Anikah

When you go to Western there are a multitude of classes to take. Though, often when you take a class you learn right away if you are going to like it or not. The campus scene is different, Bellingham is a small city and Western is an even smaller school that takes only takes up a small corner. If you venture out of the Western campus there is so much to explore, I find often times students don't make it out of the downtown area. There are many options outside of the school which are not advertised.

Kristia

I loved my time at Western. Western is the perfect middle size school. It isn't so big that you feel like just another face and not so small that you would know every person. You can easily meet new people every day while still recognizing people all over campus. The campus is laid out so you can get from one side to the other in ten minutes if you hustle. Western is quite a liberal school - everyone is very accepting of everyone's beliefs and backgrounds. The city Western is in (Bellingham) is absolutely beautiful. There are always things to do, hike, visit the mountains, the lakes, shop around downtown.

Alexa

I love everything about Western. The campus life is great, always welcoming and I feel happy to be a part of it. They have excellent academic programs (majors and minors) and so many options so if you don't know what you want to do definitely check out Western's list of majors and minors. I love the student body at Western I have made so many friends since being there and I know that these friendships will last a life time.

Katherine

Western Washington University is every Liberal Arts student's dream. There are an abundance of both academic and recreational clubs and extracurricular activities, so there is something for everyone! And the campus is so beautiful and inviting. you get to walk through student artwork and sculptures on your way to class. It is the perfect combination of well-rounded academics and outdoor adventure. It is without a doubt the best place for me to learn and grow into an adult and future contributor of this world. I would recommend it to anyone.

Ruth

I love Western because there are so many diverse ways to engage with the community. Aside from sports and clubs, there are arts events, political forums, and campus-sponsored opportunities to go to. No university is perfect, but I think Western students are always aware of problems within the university and willing to take a stand for what changes they want to see. The campus housing is pretty good, and there are diverse options for campus food, although I personally don't recommend the dining halls.

A fairly good institution, with many things that can be done on or off campus. There are a lot of groups and opportunities to express yourself. There are classes for everyone, with the regular college and Fairhaven College. However, there are some faults, such as the housing situation (the rooms can be pretty small) and student employees being treated less than fair. The teachers are easy to access from my experience, though some classes can be dry. Bellingham is a beautiful area, along with Fairhaven, and there are always places to go out into nature, and it is plain to see why so many hikers are attracted to the area.

Michele

Overall, I do very much enjoy Western. There are many issues when it comes to listening to student voices, however, especially when it comes to concerns about the safety of minority groups. Many people who belong to these groups have time and time again tried to express their dissatisfaction and the fact that they do not feel safe or listened to, but it is always pushed aside. I would love to see more actual dedication to the diverse groups on campus, as opposed to just waving them around for diversity points. Academically I always feel challenged, which can sometimes be a hard thing when I am in a large class or have a professor who just doesn't seem to care or pay attention to our grades. Overall it has pushed me forward, though, which I suppose can be a rather good thing. All in all, Western is a good school that I find myself enjoying.

Alexa

Western Washington University is an active, eco-friendly, inclusive campus with lots of opportunities no matter what you're looking for. Classes are engaging, professors are often available, and students are committed to learning and promote active discussion. Bellingham is a never ending adventure, with endless streets filled with small eclectic shops and restaurants. Overall, Western is a great choice for any student committed to learning, and enhancing their perspective on the world.

Melanie

When you first step on campus you are immediately taken away by how beautiful and surrounded by nature the school is. This school offers so many opportunities from clubs to sports to growth in your major. The tuition and cost is worth every cent. The school utilizes the money towards your best interest, and the professors are always available to help.

Honestly I've never felt more at home. I am an out of state student and I was welcomed into Western from the beginning. People here are genuinely nice and care not only about other people who they may or may not know, but they care about the environment. No matter the weather, you can always find a friendly face even in the darkest and wettest of days. I know plenty of people who have transferred to Western from other universities and instantly love it. Western is a place you can make your own and I can assure you, if you came here, you would absolutely love it.

It's a great school! The staff members are great, especially in my program (Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management). They're all super supportive and try their best to set their students up to be successful after they graduate. I have learned / am learning so much there and I don't feel like I have to worry about getting a job once I'm done which is amazing! :)

Alexa

One word to describe Western would be chill. The campus is surrounded by big, green trees, calming ocean views, and plenty of wildlife. The people range from partiers to artist to environmental activists. People are more inclusive than other schools. Having no Greek life also doesn't make people feel like they need to be "cool". Parties still happen, but it is a better environment overall. We do not have a football team, but people still participate in club and rec sports. There is plenty to do outside of academics as well. We have hikes, lakes, shops, restaurants, and we are a short drive form Canada. Even if you don't have a car, the buses go all around Bellingham and Fairhaven. Overall, I would recommend Western to anyone who is looking for some outdoor adventures and a comfortable atmosphere.

Helen

It seems like a nice school.

Anna

Western is a very interesting school with a lot of spunk. I definitely feel that Western is a great school for those who want to stay in state. I personally am an out of state student and I often feel neglected. During the admissions process they were really hard to work with and didn't know to much about the out of state admissions process. I still decided to attend because I was in love with campus and the vibe I got. I feel alright about my decision to attend WWU. I love professors and the education receive from WWU. Sometimes I do struggle because a lot of my in class topics have been about things happening in Washington that I don't understand from here but I thoroughly enjoy professors. Professors are very accessible and genuinely care about you. I didn't think it was possible to want to attend class but I never think about skipping. The social aspect here really lacks. I thought going to a school without greek life or sports would be fun but it really limits the campus activities. There are very few school sponsored activities, which means you can often find students roaming the streets on a Friday or Saturday night looking for a party. Yes, partying as a freshman is very fun and exciting but after a while it gets a little boring. Western has very few activities that they sponsor, so partying or staying in your dorm is the only option. On campus life is also very interesting. Every part of campus and every building has a different vibe. North campus (mostly Mathes) strives for having a great community. The ridge is known for partying but you can still be successful and live a great drug and alcohol free life there. South campus is generally quieter but it's not boring. I tend to find that south campus residents are much more adventurous and the people who enjoy hiking and having a good time. Don't pick housing based off the location (yeah North campus has a nice view), pick based off the social life you want. Even though North campus is beautiful you can still see those views daily living anywhere on campus.

Evelyn

Western is a beautiful college set on the ocean, they have great academics and some are in science. Because the college is on the ocean this benefits the materials they can gather for marine biology. They have many intriguing pieces of art and take care of their students and college. Overall this campus is a good safe place for students to work and enjoy.

Alena

A fun, active community. Plenty of help offered for struggling students or if you just need a little boost. Not the best dining hall food, but there are other plays on campus that are amazing.

Kyra

Western Washington University is a very accepting community located on a beautiful campus. Attending classes at Western and interacting with professors has made me excited to extend my education here. Every student I have met has been so open-minded and welcoming. My favorite part about WWU is the breathtaking views of the Bellingham Bay.

Courtney

I have only been here for half a quarter, so I understand that my opinion may not be as important as the rest, but I love it here. I've gotten smarted since I've arrived, and I can actually notice my improvement! My brain even feels like it's working faster. The classes I take are difficult but I'm not drowning in homework; the teachers really help. I'm in the honors program so they definitely understand that I'm here to work and to learn. I love my suite and my suite-mates, which may be common or uncommon depending on how well one adapts to new situations. I also love most of the food with exceptions to items that have too much salt. Other than that I'm beyond glad that I chose to go to Western, and I'm excited for the rest of the year! Go Vikes!

I believe that Western Washington University still has a ton of work to do to create a better, safer and healthier atmosphere for students. Western is not safe, there are individuals who walk on our campuses with guns and knives and students are alerted by email and texts HOURS after this has happened. Students cannot be safe if they walk right into where that individual is, and if students just receive the notification hours after, it might already be too late. Plus, how is alerting students hours after a good idea for their safety. The safety in the housing facilities is very low, individuals who have no relationship with Western have been caught stealing clothes out of students dorm rooms. Yes, in their rooms! Western also just re-admitted a convicted rapist back into the school. The dining halls are hazardous. People have found hair, paper, plastic, metal, and insects in their food. Many individuals have had food poisoning from eating at the dining halls. The meals are almost never cooked all of the way, which is very unsafe for students to eat. Personally, the housing is not clean either. On multiple occasions I have found maggots, spiders and insects in my room. The one thing that I enjoy about Western is our ability to come together to support a cause. Western is a very liberal university, so we have protested many things. We have protested the election of Trump, NAPL, we have supported Planned Parenthood and women's rights, we have protested the ban of EPA, and we have protest on climate change. Western has even made us feel so unsafe that we had to protest against the readmission of a convicted rapist.

Shelby

The campus is absolutely gorgeous, the students are very inclusive and involved in their community, and the teachers seem to be great so far (excluded one bad seed, but she's gone now). Lots of outdoor activities located within a close proximity to the campus. Mt. Baker is only an hour-ish drive away, hiking, the Outdoor Center's excursions (reasonably priced and tons of fun), and they have a boathouse off of Lake Samish (kayak rentals only $3!). As for quality of education, the school is small enough that chances are good that your teacher will know your name or at least recognize your face by the end of the quarter. I have personally had some phenomenal teachers (if you ever get the chance to take Lina Dahlberg's class I highly recommend it.) There are tons of clubs and they're all really open to new members. The intramural and club teams seem like a lot of fun and there's even a Quidditch team! The only downside to this school is that if you're not used to west coast weather, the change can be a bit alarming. I am from the east side, which is sort of barren and it goes from being freezing (literally) in the winter to over a hundred in the summer. It's nice that the temperature is so constant here but the overcast weather can get tiresome and even depressing. (If you have or may have this problem I recommend getting a light meant for S.A.D., it really helped me) Overall, I feel like choosing Western over UW was a great decision. I truly love it here. Just visit once and you'll be enchanted by the wonderful classes and the atmosphere :)

Jordan

The student body and staff are extremely welcoming and encouraging in any path you look down. There's a variety of clubs and the facilities are pretty clean and updated. Western does lack a lot of student diversity as most of the students are white. The dining hall food is not amazing and could definitely improve. Some dorm facilities could definitely be updated.

Hayley

Western Washington University is located in the midst of the beautiful city of Bellingham. There are plenty of places to hike nearby (and plenty of people who would LOVE to join you), a great view of the water, and mountains a short drive away. The rec center is state of the art and the campus is gorgeous to walk around. It's often raining, so be sure to bring waterproof shoes and rain jacket if visiting or attending! (Just don't bring an umbrella- we WILL laugh at you).

Kori

A very welcoming environment with great teachers. Lots to do on and off-campus! The sports are all so exciting to go to because everyone has such great school spirit. The food is delicious, and there is a lot of variety. It is fun to go on walks or runs around campus because the trail system is massive, and there are statues everywhere.

Jady

Western is a fine school and Bellingham is a sleepy little college town right on the water. It is a truly beautiful place to go to school if you enjoy the Northwest scenery as well as the sight of deer and other wildlife on campus. These aspects I very much appreciate, but the social aspect of Western is lacking slightly in my opinion. I'm used to there being live music in friends' houses all the time like it is in Seattle, and currently there seems to be very little of this. But...if you enjoy art, come from a small town, and like the homey feel of your place of residence, then Western Washington University might just be the place for you

McNeal

Western Washington charmed me when I first saw it. The location is on a hill with a view of the ocean. Although the winters are cold and rainy the sunshines just as often. I found my major at western through taking classes that didn't have to do with a major and found a passion through that. From there I became a Women's Studies major with help from faculty and the community. I am succeeding enormously at Western.

Sara

Western Washington has a beautiful medium sized campus that is very accessible due to their partnership with the local transportation system, which runs through campus and into the city. The classes are quite academic but if you set aside a few hours a week you will pass, in addition the professors are easily accessible and always offering extra help. There is something to do on campus and off campus daily, whether it be party, work, attend seminars, go try clubs, join a game of spike ball in front of the library or volunteer, we have endless opportunities!

Ian

I am from a small town of about 1500 people so Western was a good school for me to attend. I have a group of friends I met on campus and have been enjoying it since day 1. Classes are larger than what I was use to but they are considered small. All my know and call me by my first name. The community at Western is supportive. There are places to go if you need help with your classes. I really like the town of Bellingham and the Western Campus.

C

Western's campus is what initially drew me in, and I'm still in awe of it when I walk around every day. It's truly a beautiful place. I was lucky to have lived in one of the newly refurbished dorms, complete with wooden, heated floors. The dining hall food wasn't terrible, but definitely got boring after a while. I've loved (almost) every class I've taken here, and all of my professors have always been very accessible and accommodating. If you care a lot about the diversity of students, you may be disappointed, but everyone is very nice nonetheless. Bellingham is a gorgeous little city with lots to do with friends, and I'd definitely recommend Western for those who can get in-state tuition.

Aurora

Overall, the school is great. There are lots of opportunities to get involved. I have noticed that they make a lot of students jump through hoops to do certain things though, and there are plenty of other ‘fees’ you have to pay even though they say that tuition is low.

Jessi

WWU is a small facility with big dreams for the future. The students here are all passionate about what they do, from environmentalism and the zero waste movement to the theatre arts that also serve as political messages; Western students understand that the world is theirs to inherit, and seek to make every day count towards a brighter future. Without the pressure of larger institutions and as one of the most affordable 4-year schools in Washington, Western is the place to be.

Kristin

I think there are a lot of great things about Western like the beautiful campus and how socially conscious everyone is. The registration system suck, class size is pretty big for intro classes, and they make it so you won't graduate in four years. The dorm life is alright and the food sucks with minimal options for non-meat eaters.

Samuel

Western Washington University is a Great school, amazing campus life, some first year teachers are a struggle to deal with, and the cafeteria food is a little concerning sometimes, but if you look past that and just make yourself more aware you’ll love the campus!

Niki

Overall, Western is a very good optional that is less expensive than others, but a "great bang for your buck". The professors are normally super nice and very intelligent in their subject as well as always available for extra help. The environmental studies department is extremely well-established when compared nationally and globally; personally that is what brought me here. It is sort of a hippie-is community with a fair amount of tree-huggers and some people still like to have fun as at most any college. Nice environment conducive to educating!

Jazmine

I would recommend it for STEM majors, Pre-med majors and those interested in languages. I think it's a good school if you are not interested in the traditional college experience and want something more laid-back. I would choose this school again if I could.

Kristen

There are a lot of great things about Western Washington University. I have absolutely loved almost all of my Professors, they make the classes engaging and fun (and sometimes way easier than they should be.) The campus is beautiful, I love being surrounded by trees and water and it feels like home.

Ben

Western is a can be a great college, depending on what you're majoring in. The industrial design program is top notch ( my major) but I've seen friends in other majors not enjoy their classes so do your research. Bellingham is a great spot though, theres many activities to do outdoors and it generally a beautiful area.

Emma

It shows a lot of promise. Unfortunately, if you don't put 110% into everything that you're involved in, you will not get much out of it. While I wish I had put more effort into more activities and areas of study, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do so. Even though Western proclaims a welcoming community, they have a very narrow concept of what their ideal student looks like. If you do not mold yourself to the professor's standards, then you are nobody. That is not how academics should be, and it had a negative influence on my college academic career. The clubs on campus however, are very welcoming and supportive of students' personal lives. Bellingham is a beautiful place and have certainly made life long friends outside of the college scene. Western is the college for the student who is looking for fulfillment outside of the classroom, because believe me, you will not find it on campus.

Jasmine

Overall this is a nice school, especially because it is the perfect size. It's big enough so that you don't bump into the same people like high school; it's small enough so that you can have a decent sized class, and actually get a chance for the professor to know you more personally. The food may suck occasionally, but it really isn't that bad. And the places around here are really nice, but it's just difficult because most students don't have cars. Aside from that, it's a nice place, but make sure to bring an umbrella.

Roberta

I enjoy going to Western, and think it is a good school. Teachers and Faculty seemed invested in the students and their success, and there are a lot of resources that make campus an accessible place. The campus is not as diverse as I wish it would be, but I believe that is the demographic of where we are located in Western Washington. Though there is a lack of diversity, the school emphasizes the diversity that there is on campus.