Prescott, AZ
Yavapai College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yavapai College

Danielle

Instead of graduating high school I attained my GED when I was sixteen. Currently a middle aged, single mom of three teenage girls I know exactly what I would say if only I could make that leap back in time. It would be the same thing I say to my girls now. The advice I would give would be that "life is so very precious, as youth we think time is eternal for us but in reality our presence here on this earth is but a single breath in time. Take chances, experience all the joys life has to offer and most of all fill your mind with as much as you can possibly learn, either from gaining higher education, or following a life mentor. Soon enough you will be looking at more of your life behind you than you have yet to live. The older you are the harder it is to return to school. Too late, you will look back and wish you had embraced all the opportunities presented to you. Seek them now so that later in life you don't look back with any regrets".

There is nothing I would have changed regarding my decision to attend Yavapai College. Academically, socially, and professionally Yavapai fits the bill for my needs!

This is a hard question as I love my school. I guess perhaps the worst thing would be when I found out that due to the pre-requisites required for the Nursing program I am currently tapped out on my financial aid eligibility, and I have three semesters left to complete the Nursing program. Wish I had known that earlier as I may have planned better for the loss of income.

Tristin

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. The best advice I could give myself is to not wait until the last minute to register. Get a head start. Make the best of it. You have nothing to lose. It's very stressful trying to get all of this done days before the dead line. It would have been a smarter choice to do this before, instead of after graduation.

There is nothing bad about this school. My mom went there before she had to drop out and work full time, and she loved everything about it.

That I am going to be attending an amazing school to better myself.

Khalil

Don't Procrastinate. Obviously, you're going to want to do everything that the college experience has in store for you, such as, partying, joining clubs, going to games, etc. but before you do anything, make sure your assignments are complete. This way you'll avoid alot of stressful nights where you dont get a chance to sleep because you decided to do everything last minute.

If I could go back in time and have a conversation with my high school self I would let her know that there is a plethora of careers out there to choose from. As children are growing up it seems that adults only tell them that one day they could be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, veterinarian, ect. No one talks about the millions of other careers that are out there can actually be fun and exciting, so most high school students choose mainstream majors and end up unhappy. I would definitely tell myself that I could be a marine biologist and train dolphins, or be a helicopter pilot, or a special effects makeup artist for movies. I was never the kind of person who wanted to do what everyone else was doing so I chose to be an art major. That area of study just didn't work out for me though and I think it would have been good to know that there were a lot of other options out there that no one thinks about. Who knows what kind of exciting things I could've ended up doing if I had known they were an option?

Before I came to Yavapai I had already done a lot of research on the program that I'm in so there's nothing that I didn't know. I would advise anyone to do research before going to college.

People who want to save money on their general education credits and anyone interested in aviation.

Yavapai has a wonderful campus with really caring teachers, and I had a terrific experience enrolling because everyone was so helpful and able to get me to my goals without an problems.

One regret I have from my years in high school was not understadning how the college process worked. If I could go back, the very first thing I would say is that there are no such things as "too early" and "too many applications". I would say to start as early and rigorously as possible and to apply to as many colleges and scholarships as I could find. The more you apply the more opportties you open yourself up to and waiting until the last minute will hurt more than help. I would also tell myself that picking a major right away isn't as important as picking a school where you will be happy and recieve a good education in any field. Many students change their majors, but switching schools, even from a community college, is hard and expensive so making an educated decision on your school is very valuable. Lastly, have confidence in your ability to succeed, because even a good school won't be your jump start until you give it your best and believe that you will accomplish your goals. College isn't just another building, it's the next chapter in YOUR life.

The best thing about Yavapai College is how professional they are, even as a smaller community college. They offer financial aid to those who need it and the tuition rates are already low. The advisors are super helpful and I waable to enroll in all the credits I needed to and still have it fit my schedule. They made it easy to work full-time and go to school full-time, and both the staff and the teachers understood that many students have to balance their classes with an outside life. I was able to succeed here.

Brooke

The advice I would give myself if I already knew about the college life and I was a high school senior I would definitly improve on being more social and interacting with different activites other than softball. College offers activities that allow the students and staff to interact with games, food and concerts. I would definitly learn to go out of my comfort zone to meet and help the people in the college society instead of doing homework in my room or just hanging out with my teammates.

Before entering Yavapai College I wish I knew to be more outgoing and participate in other activities besides hanging around my teammates. Eventually I got sick and tired of hearing the same old drama on the softball team that I needed to explore and meet new people that are not sports affiliated. Most of the athletes judge them because they are seen as "losers" but in reality they are fun and helpful if you don't know your way around the town.

The few things I brag the most about my school to my friends would be the support of alumni and fans that come to our games. They help us on and off the field no matter what the situation is. It's definitly like having a second family there along with your biological family. Also the people on campus know you if your an athlete and they always ask questions and comment on how good the team did against a team.

Chad

Apply to every scholarship whether you meet the criteria or not. Start early and don't give up; college is important. You may not have time to do this when you're older, so soak it in now. There is a difference between private schools and public schools. More expensive doesn?t necessarily mean better. Try every other option before exploring student loans. Avoid debt at any cost! Get your paperwork in early. Community college is not a waste of time and is a smart move in your college career. Remember to pursue what makes you happy. Study hard. It's easy to fall into not going to class when you start missing them. Get involved in college activities and leadership roles. Organization and preparedness are key. Living on campus keeps you connected. Yes, there are community colleges with dorms. Get a mini fridge.; your mom will tell you to not to, but she?ll come around. Remember that change is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. Also remember to stay true to who you are, because, if you lose who you are, your future won?t look good no matter what advice you receive.

The thing that I consider to be the worst thing about my school is the fact that they have a theater building but no theater program. I work in the admissions office, and I hear so many potential students turning down the school because there is no real theater program. The problem is that the theater is mainly used for community activities and events and is not available for student use. Personally, I think the administartion should consider building that program up.

Most of the time, the thing that I brag about to my friends about my school is the fact that it has residence halls. Not many community colleges house students in on campus housing, and the residence halls are actually pretty efficient. They are clean, well run, and they draw in students who would not otherwise be able to come to the school. The resident assistants are amazing and they even put on monthly events for their students. It's pretty cool.

houston

I would tell myself to work hard at everything, and make sure that i understood that i am on my own and i am responsible for what choices i make and the results i get. I would tell myself to choose good, reliable friends and never give up on anything or give in to anyone. I would tell myself to stick with it through the end even when it seems to hard because the reward will be more than a degree when i am through; it will be a gate to a life that has been earned. That's what i would tell myself.

I think the worst thing is how teachers have to travle back and foreth from the campus in prescott to the campus in cottonwood, because it puts more stress on teachers and slows down learning when the teacher has to miss class due to weather conditions.

This school is made for everyone, so there shouldn't be anyone who couldn't attend

Kathryn

Yavapai College is a relaxed school that allows students the beauty of a small town with the convenient opportunity to travel around the state with ease.

Yavapai College is smaller than a lot of schools but still has a lot of great programs. The nursing program is one of the most popular and rates among top programs offered at universities. While education is important I would add that the most unique and wonderful thing about Yavapai is its location. Prescott, Arizona has one of the most beautiful landscapes, wonderful climate and is centrally located. You can enjoy the rural atmosphere and small town feel of Prescott and take a trip to the city in about an hour. Best of both worlds.

If I could advise myself, or any other high school student for that matter, I would emphasize the importance of enjoying your time in school. While school seems like a chore to many, it is one of the most interesting things many people will have the opportunity to enjoy. High school especially seemed so bothersome, but looking back it was a time of simplicity and should have been enjoyed to the fullest. At no other point in your life does one have so little responsibility. If you can go to school and do some homework the school part is done, the rest should be fun. I would say too that aside from enjoying your personal time, it is important to enjoy your classes. Some of the things you learn in school can seem boring but once you realize that everything you learn will be built upon later, it becomes more important. College is a lot of the same idea but it is more self-driven and takes a little bit more juggling to succeed. If one learns to appreciate the knowledge that is available to them, the possibilities of what one can do with that knowledge are endless.

Yavapai College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.