Prescott, AZ
Yavapai College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yavapai College

Tristin

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. The best advice I could give myself is to not wait until the last minute to register. Get a head start. Make the best of it. You have nothing to lose. It's very stressful trying to get all of this done days before the dead line. It would have been a smarter choice to do this before, instead of after graduation.

There is nothing bad about this school. My mom went there before she had to drop out and work full time, and she loved everything about it.

That I am going to be attending an amazing school to better myself.

Khalil

Don't Procrastinate. Obviously, you're going to want to do everything that the college experience has in store for you, such as, partying, joining clubs, going to games, etc. but before you do anything, make sure your assignments are complete. This way you'll avoid alot of stressful nights where you dont get a chance to sleep because you decided to do everything last minute.

If I could go back in time and have a conversation with my high school self I would let her know that there is a plethora of careers out there to choose from. As children are growing up it seems that adults only tell them that one day they could be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, veterinarian, ect. No one talks about the millions of other careers that are out there can actually be fun and exciting, so most high school students choose mainstream majors and end up unhappy. I would definitely tell myself that I could be a marine biologist and train dolphins, or be a helicopter pilot, or a special effects makeup artist for movies. I was never the kind of person who wanted to do what everyone else was doing so I chose to be an art major. That area of study just didn't work out for me though and I think it would have been good to know that there were a lot of other options out there that no one thinks about. Who knows what kind of exciting things I could've ended up doing if I had known they were an option?

Before I came to Yavapai I had already done a lot of research on the program that I'm in so there's nothing that I didn't know. I would advise anyone to do research before going to college.

People who want to save money on their general education credits and anyone interested in aviation.

Yavapai has a wonderful campus with really caring teachers, and I had a terrific experience enrolling because everyone was so helpful and able to get me to my goals without an problems.

One regret I have from my years in high school was not understadning how the college process worked. If I could go back, the very first thing I would say is that there are no such things as "too early" and "too many applications". I would say to start as early and rigorously as possible and to apply to as many colleges and scholarships as I could find. The more you apply the more opportties you open yourself up to and waiting until the last minute will hurt more than help. I would also tell myself that picking a major right away isn't as important as picking a school where you will be happy and recieve a good education in any field. Many students change their majors, but switching schools, even from a community college, is hard and expensive so making an educated decision on your school is very valuable. Lastly, have confidence in your ability to succeed, because even a good school won't be your jump start until you give it your best and believe that you will accomplish your goals. College isn't just another building, it's the next chapter in YOUR life.

The best thing about Yavapai College is how professional they are, even as a smaller community college. They offer financial aid to those who need it and the tuition rates are already low. The advisors are super helpful and I waable to enroll in all the credits I needed to and still have it fit my schedule. They made it easy to work full-time and go to school full-time, and both the staff and the teachers understood that many students have to balance their classes with an outside life. I was able to succeed here.

Brooke

The advice I would give myself if I already knew about the college life and I was a high school senior I would definitly improve on being more social and interacting with different activites other than softball. College offers activities that allow the students and staff to interact with games, food and concerts. I would definitly learn to go out of my comfort zone to meet and help the people in the college society instead of doing homework in my room or just hanging out with my teammates.

Before entering Yavapai College I wish I knew to be more outgoing and participate in other activities besides hanging around my teammates. Eventually I got sick and tired of hearing the same old drama on the softball team that I needed to explore and meet new people that are not sports affiliated. Most of the athletes judge them because they are seen as "losers" but in reality they are fun and helpful if you don't know your way around the town.

The few things I brag the most about my school to my friends would be the support of alumni and fans that come to our games. They help us on and off the field no matter what the situation is. It's definitly like having a second family there along with your biological family. Also the people on campus know you if your an athlete and they always ask questions and comment on how good the team did against a team.

Chad

Apply to every scholarship whether you meet the criteria or not. Start early and don't give up; college is important. You may not have time to do this when you're older, so soak it in now. There is a difference between private schools and public schools. More expensive doesn?t necessarily mean better. Try every other option before exploring student loans. Avoid debt at any cost! Get your paperwork in early. Community college is not a waste of time and is a smart move in your college career. Remember to pursue what makes you happy. Study hard. It's easy to fall into not going to class when you start missing them. Get involved in college activities and leadership roles. Organization and preparedness are key. Living on campus keeps you connected. Yes, there are community colleges with dorms. Get a mini fridge.; your mom will tell you to not to, but she?ll come around. Remember that change is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. Also remember to stay true to who you are, because, if you lose who you are, your future won?t look good no matter what advice you receive.

The thing that I consider to be the worst thing about my school is the fact that they have a theater building but no theater program. I work in the admissions office, and I hear so many potential students turning down the school because there is no real theater program. The problem is that the theater is mainly used for community activities and events and is not available for student use. Personally, I think the administartion should consider building that program up.

Most of the time, the thing that I brag about to my friends about my school is the fact that it has residence halls. Not many community colleges house students in on campus housing, and the residence halls are actually pretty efficient. They are clean, well run, and they draw in students who would not otherwise be able to come to the school. The resident assistants are amazing and they even put on monthly events for their students. It's pretty cool.

houston

I would tell myself to work hard at everything, and make sure that i understood that i am on my own and i am responsible for what choices i make and the results i get. I would tell myself to choose good, reliable friends and never give up on anything or give in to anyone. I would tell myself to stick with it through the end even when it seems to hard because the reward will be more than a degree when i am through; it will be a gate to a life that has been earned. That's what i would tell myself.

I think the worst thing is how teachers have to travle back and foreth from the campus in prescott to the campus in cottonwood, because it puts more stress on teachers and slows down learning when the teacher has to miss class due to weather conditions.

This school is made for everyone, so there shouldn't be anyone who couldn't attend

Kathryn

Yavapai College is a relaxed school that allows students the beauty of a small town with the convenient opportunity to travel around the state with ease.

Yavapai College is smaller than a lot of schools but still has a lot of great programs. The nursing program is one of the most popular and rates among top programs offered at universities. While education is important I would add that the most unique and wonderful thing about Yavapai is its location. Prescott, Arizona has one of the most beautiful landscapes, wonderful climate and is centrally located. You can enjoy the rural atmosphere and small town feel of Prescott and take a trip to the city in about an hour. Best of both worlds.

If I could advise myself, or any other high school student for that matter, I would emphasize the importance of enjoying your time in school. While school seems like a chore to many, it is one of the most interesting things many people will have the opportunity to enjoy. High school especially seemed so bothersome, but looking back it was a time of simplicity and should have been enjoyed to the fullest. At no other point in your life does one have so little responsibility. If you can go to school and do some homework the school part is done, the rest should be fun. I would say too that aside from enjoying your personal time, it is important to enjoy your classes. Some of the things you learn in school can seem boring but once you realize that everything you learn will be built upon later, it becomes more important. College is a lot of the same idea but it is more self-driven and takes a little bit more juggling to succeed. If one learns to appreciate the knowledge that is available to them, the possibilities of what one can do with that knowledge are endless.

Alysia

Spacious campus beautifully designed with well qualified instructures eager to help students progress.

Diverse, a mixed age group, ranging from people who are sixteen to seventy five years in age.

If I could go back to my senior year in highschool I would tell senior me to apply myself. This would include to study harder and achieve straight A's, focuss more on my art projects, get more involved in school activities, to respect my teachers who were just tring to show me the way to a better future and apply for scholarships. All of this work would better my chances of getting through college free. For instance; Good grades would prepare me for scholarship essays, by focussing on my art projects Icould enter contests and win money for school, by getting involed in school activities that would show scholarship committees integrity and commitment which would give me a higher chance of being awarded a scholarship and by respecting my teachers that would give me a better understanding of my potential and plenty of letters of recommendation to colleges and scholarship committees. If I did all this my senior year I could have my associates degree and be on my way toward a bachelors. Thats what I would explain to the lost senior me.

Courtney

If I were still in highschool, and I could give myself advice, there would be so many things that I would warn myself of. First of all, I would remind myself that you cannot get anywhere in life unless you find a good career. You will not be very successful if you just have a "job". I graduated highschool two years early, when I was 16, and so when I enrolled in college I was a little over whelmed. It is hard for a 16 year old to feel like she belongs in college. So basically I was caught up in boys and that is definately one piece of advice I would give myself, "forget the boys!". Niether my father nor my mother ever went to college. My father died when I was 12 which was very hard for me. I know he would have loved to see me go to school and succeed. That is my main goal in life. I want to be an orthodontist so bad. I just want to prove to myself and my family that if you put your mind to it you can do anything you want. Thank you so much! -Courtney Guinn

The best thing about my school all around would have to be the environment. I am a nature lover and there is beautiful scenery. Also the environment of the faculty and students. Everyone is very easy going and welcomes you to the school rather than making you feel like an outcast.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who enjoys attending smaller community schools. Someone who loves nature because you are surrounded by trees everywhere you look. If you are just getting started and are nervouse about starting school, i would suggest Yavapai College because it is very easy going and you are accepted easily.

Yavapai College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.