Milwaukee, WI
Alverno College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alverno College

I really like Alverno College, it's warm and inviting but expensive. I love how they focus more on the student as a person than the number on our school ID. The class setting is nice and small, it's way better than those everyday lecture halls that they have at larger colleges. Overall Alverno is pretty great.

Erika

The teachers are always there to help. They always want to see us succeed. Academics are awesome because they are based on self assessment, so we can really see what we can improve on constantly. Alverno is not just about grades, it is about learning as much as you can and putting that knowledge to use and making a difference in the world.

Brianna

I believe that Alverno College is an extremely underrated school. It is small, so the benefits are extremely apparent. The college treats you like an individual, not just like another person attending. The class sizes range from 10-25 people per class, so you get to know your classmates and instructors (which is what we call our professors). There aren't any lecture halls, so you get one-on-one communication with your instructor. As far as working on campus, they make sure you still have plenty of time to get your schoolwork done while still making money. Alverno is one of the best schools I have looked into, and I do not regret one bit coming here. It really feels like a home away from home.

Olivia

I am only a freshman at Alverno, but I have loved every second of my time here. I am proud to be a student at Alverno. The people are friendly, the housing is great, the location is safe, and most importantly the food is great! Overall, I love Alverno college's atmosphere.

Pamela

The learning enviornment at alverno is extremely interactive. It is engaging and it gets every student involved. There is no one sitting in the back of the classroom being ignored. Everyone, plays a part in the success of the classroom.

I would tell myself not to worry so much about financial struggles. I would tell myself to just apply for as many scholarships as you can and focus on being a well rounded student. I would have not waited so long to get involved as well. The sooner an individual networks and makes connections, the more fulfilling a person's experience can be.

SY

What a great school to grow personally and professionally in all aspects of life!

There are a variety of groups here on campus depending on what interests you. I am very involved in the Go Green Organization and the Global Studies Organization because the focus is very much on what can I do to give back?

All the women here are so welcoming and it is definitely something you see immediately in the Alverno community. This is a place of encouragement and empowerment!

Anything related to international and global studies.

Rosella

Alverno is unique because not only is it a school for women but it helps students develop what they call the “8 core abilities”: Communication, analysis, problem solving, valuing, social interaction, developing a global perspective, effective citizenship, and aesthetic engagement, these are the skills that employees look for. Alverno is more than just a college; it is an advanced establishment that not only educates but also trains and will equip me with skills to contend in this competitive and ever changing world. Other schools that I was considering did not have this type of program.

The advice i would give myself is to work and study harder. I did not do well becuase I was not expecting the high school that I went to would be so academically challenging! I did not do well my first two years and I never really recovered. My GPA was a 1.9 and I would advise my senior self to improve her study habits and take school seriously. Based on my GPA my college gave me an acceptance scholarship. I was given the lowest scholarship. Grades do matter. However the classes that I took prepared me and I only regret that i did not focus more. The transition to college has not been hard due to me taking those pre college courses. So I feel that I am retaking the same classes.

The kind of person whi should attend this school is someone who is open minded, focused and determined to succeed. You will be surrounded by a loving and helpful environment at Alverno. There will always be someone there to help you, but it is up to you to put in the work. While in high school I had a very difficult time. I was bullied and did not do well academically. Whether or not your story is similiar to mine, I encourage you to come to Alverno and experince first hand an encouragement environment and be surrounded by strong women.

Allison

Motivated and hard-working students, that have dreams for their future and are not afraid to step out of their comfort zones, learn, and help one another to help achieve all around success!

If I could go back in time and talk about college life and making the transition, I would provide three pieces of advice: stay true to yourself and your dreams, become involved in a socical group, and don't be afraid to ask for help! By following one's own dreams, regardless of what others want for you, you will ultimately be more happy with yourself and in the future, doing what brings you the utmost happiness and joy out of life! Secondly, not being afraid to ask for help is important as it unveils your longing to learn more that what you already do, and in doing so, you will find assurance and become more confident in yourself along the college journey. Lastly, making friends and becoming part of a social group, whether it be just with one or two friends makes you feel more connected to college, especially if they are studying the same things you are. Having friends riding along with you on the college journey provides an unfathomoable amount of support, laughter, and happiness during the most exciting, frightening, and or frustrating times during the college experience!

Sometimes the professors are unorganized, so this makes it difficult to understand some of the class concepts to be learned in class.

Ashly

If I could go back and speak to a younger version of myself; I would strongly emphasize the importance incorporating punctuality and organizational skills into my daily habits. I would elaborate further and explain the importance of: being on time, attending class, completing material in a timely manner, and staying well organized. As young professional I have learned that each of those skills are essential and aide in helping me make positively progression toward a bright future while achieving my goals.

Women who strive for academic success and excellence choose Alverno College as their higher education institution. Alverno’s unique curriculum and small class sizes offer students an opportunity to become: empowered, strong, and intelligent individuals. The unique ability based teaching style strongly emphasizes core abilities: communication, problem solving, valuing, analysis, aesthetic engagement, effective citizenship, social interaction, and developing a global perspective. Each ability pushes students to great lengths to: learn, understand, attain, and apply course material in the real world. Students searching for a positive and lasting educational experience should apply to Alverno College and invest in a bright future.

The most ‘frustrating thing’ about Alverno College is adapting to the unique teaching style that the college enforces. Four years ago, I began studies in Biology and Environmental Sciences at Alverno College. It was then, that I quickly realized that Alverno was very unique and academically demanding college. The work that an Alverno student puts into her studies is extensive and challenging. Students self-assess their learning habits as an opportunity to reflect upon: course material, criteria, and objectives. Alverno’s style of teaching is effective; but, getting used to the teaching style is frustrating.

Aryn

Alverno gives validations in certain skill sets such as, problem solving, analysis, global perspectives,etc. These take the place of standard grading. The skills that Alverno provides are key in being sucessful upon graduation instead of just regurgitating information. Alverno also offers scholarships/grants to the majority of students. This helps in keeping the cost down. Classes also are no bigger than 20 students so you get one on one time with professors instead of being lost in a sea of 300 students in a lecture hall. This school really works to meet the needs of each individual student.

I would tell myself to relax and that everything would work out. I was a chonic worrier and always expected the worst in my future. Knowing that everything would work out would have allowed me to really cherish my last year of high school and create memories that I would remember for a lifetime. Instead I now look back and laugh at how I was so worried and nervous about such trivial things, rather than focusing on the larger picture and what was really important.

There really are no groups excluded from Alverno. There are weeekend courses offered and many first time college students all the way through returning education students attend Alverno. The only exception is that currently the undergraduate program does not admit males. The scholarships and grants that Alverno awards also helps to allow low income students to attend as well.

Alverno College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.