Milwaukee, WI
Alverno College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alverno College

Our school is best known for the teaching and nursing programs. In addition, it's also known for being interactive, having small classes, and having an ability-based program.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience. I started Alverno as a student struggling to get good grades, but I had the determination to do well. Alverno has small class sizes, but most importantly the instructors care. Because of that, I was able to become the successful student I am today. I understand the material, and I can show that I know it without simply regurgitating what my instructor said; I have learned the importance of communication, community involvement, and knowledge itself. Alverno has made me want to continue my education by pursuing a master?s degree, or some other form of academic accomplishment. Alverno has helped me find who I am, and has helped me become a successful and powerful woman.

The best thing about my school is the fact that it in interactive, we have small classes, and the instructors care! I truly learn the material, and they are so helpful. There was some speculation in grade school, middle school, and high school that I might have a learning disability, and the way Alverno teaches helps the material stick.

Haley

I have learned great independence and leadership at Wallace State in Hanceville, AL. I came to Wallace State for a scholarship, the community like atmosphere, and the great student involvement. I found out about the student ministries before I decided to go to Wallace State, and they were so helpful, and they really sounded like they wanted to be my friend and wanted me to come to Wallace. I also came for a volleyball scholarship. My volleyball team has taught me a lot about character, and I have learned a lot about myself as well. Wallace has allowed me to grow and learn is a safe and free environment. I do not feel threatened or judged at Wallace. I have been able to discuss real life questions and serious discussions during class with other students and professors. I do not wish to leave Wallace State, but it has prepared me to move on, and now I'm ready to further my education at a four year university.

Ann

Alverno student peers in the Nursing program are very driven and determined women. Many have come from a long hiatus from school and others have transferred from more traditional universities. The student body is very diverse in age, experience, and lifestyle. Alverno classmates were hard working and grateful to find a good fit at a college that cares about their personal and professional development. It is an extremely competitive and rewarding program with the benefit of a well rounded profession mostly guaranteed upon completion.

Alverno College bases its curriculum on eight abilities that students develop and refine throughout their education. Abilities used to shape women at the school are: communication, analysis, problem solving, valuing in decision making, social interaction, global perspective, effective citizenship, and aesthetic engagement. Expansion of these eight abilities have enabled me to competently transition to the professional world as a registered nurse and present myself as a polished graduate of the Alverno College system. My current graduate work at Loyola University in Chicago in the Family Nurse Practitioner and Emergency Nurse Practitioner Program and my immediate hire at Children's Hospital of Wisoconsin as a Registered Nurse upon program completion are only two examples of success I attribute to the ability based curriculum at Alverno. I look forward to continually evolving the quality of these personal abilities through out my life and discover my potential in each field.

If you are a student that is not interested in attending a women's college this is not the school for you. I would not have gone to Alverno immediately out of high school due to the lack of social networking available and remoteness of the campus in comparison to the downtown area. If you are new to the city of Milwaukee or do not already have a well established group of friends or way of transportation you may want to consider an alternative school.

Ericka

Having to pay for college myself has made me more conscious of my financial obligations, taught me respect, and helped me become more disciplined. Wanting to go to a four year college has always been a dream of mine. Finally, at the age of 25, I am back in school full time. While juggling a small business, spending time with my family, and going to school, it can be difficult at times. I will succeed; disciplining myself financially, using time management, and taking the risk to better myself for my family drives me. With the knowledge I retain in college, and also the life experiences it takes me to get through, I can provide a better life for myself and the ones I love.

The teachers commitment to students at Alverno is absolutely the best quality. They believe the core values and eight abilities which Alverno is based on and show it in their teachings.

Alverno provides an ability based curriculum to women who want to further themselves for the working world. They teach you life skills and help you apply them interactively. You will walk out a graduate of Alverno and never forget the lessons which you were taught. I am more part of a community, than anywhere else, here at Alverno College.

Shane

From the time I entered Irvine Valley College I learned a very valuable lesson. I have learned that you are in control of your own destiny. No longer is anybody going to make you go to school or force you to get good grades. From being in college I have matured a great deal. There is no more time for slacking off or trying to get away with things because it simply does not work any more. Hard work and determinatin are the keyes to success which became apparent to me when I entered college.

Calpurnia

I am a nursing major, before I came to Alverno I was at a state university. What Alverno has that a state university does not have, is team work. Alverno strongly emphasizes team work. Team work is important to me because in the health care setting you would not be able to function without team work. A hospital would not be able to run without team work. I value my experience here because it taught me how to efficiently work in a team and be a team player.

Alverno is a private women's Catholic college. If you are a male and/or you strongly believe that a women's Catholic college is not for you then you should not attend this school.

Xochilth

Some advice I would have given myself would have been to read more and take notes. I also would have advised myself to have taken more classes that could have helped me more with the major I am pursuing. I would have taken classes that rewarded you college credits, so I wouldn?t have to spend thousands of dollars in college. I also would have practiced how to manage my time with school, fun, and work. College is not fun and games, it?s an education you shouldn't play with and take very seriously. Fun comes once you have graduated with your degree and education. Some more advise I would have given myself is, I learn that in college there is a lot of reading and writing so I also would have told myself to write more and get that extra help when I was lost or confused. As a senior I would have advised myself to take my time and proof read all my work and showed all my teachers my true potential. Also in high school I should have enrolled in different programs to practice my networking and applied for more scholarships and grants.

I would have to say the cost. I feel that the cost here is pretty high, I believe that if they lowered the price of schooling here, more people would attend Alverno. Its true we get a great education here but there are many smart people that would like to attend Alverno and get that education but finacial wise can't afford the living or education here.

What I brag the most about my school is that the teacher here are very helpful and caring. The people here too are very nice and are also ready to help others when needed. I also brag about how Alverno is a all girls school, which I love because it makes me feel proud to be a women, and that women too can make something great out of their lives.

Stacie

I would have prepared myself to come into college and take on the many responsiblities.

Some one who hopes to go into the medical school especially nursing. Also a person who acspects to work hard and stay on task. Someone who likes to learn more on a one on one basis with the teacher and enjoys small class sizes. Students get to know other peers along with the teacher because engaging activities are part of the learning process at Alverno College.

There is a lot of outside work that needs to be completed for every class. Many papers and readings.

Tucker

I would advise myself to become more active in on-campus activities earlier than I did. Joining student government, working at the university, and being an active member of clubs that interest you are great ways to meet new people, discover opportunities and to feel more connected to the school. My experience at the university definitly improved once I became an active part of the community.

Not academically focused enough for me. The social scene is great and there are a ton of things to do, but I don't feel my degree is going to be worth a whole lot.

Introverted. Someone who prefers a rural setting.

Tricia

Alverno college is a very friendly campus with great resources for students and offers and outstanding education.

When you say your going to school be commited as to not waste your time, money and talent by being non-commital. Be active and participate within the campus, get involved! Grow to learn the faculty and meet students, enjoy time at school. Don't over stress about homework, do your best and know ennough is enough. One last piece of advice, have fun!

The kind of person that should attend Alverno college shall come with many different personality traits, such as a positive attitude, independent, caring heart and loves to help others. The students at Alverno act as a team, so you should be willing to work with groups and assist other students in various ways. We at Alverno are commited to a successful education, which prepares you for the world and hit the ground running.

Alverno College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.