Boston, MA
Boston University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston University

Tori

Boston University is challenging but this school gives you a vast amount of opportunities to succeed while still having fun because they care about their students.

The students of Boston University come from all over the world and all add to the vibrant Boston community.

Leaving your parents behind to live in a strange place with people you don't know may sound overwhelming. However, you quickly get over that feeling when you get on campus for move in day and realize you made the right decision. You will meet so many different people and have the opportunity to participate in different events and clubs. Take advantage of all of these opportunities because they are what make your first year at college memorable. Don't overwhelm yourself though, you're at this institution to get an education and overdoing it can cause your grades to slip. Don't be scared to try new things and egage with people you normally wouldn't. Those things may turn out to be your calling in life or that person may become your best friend. Remember that almost everyone there is looking to make new friends too so don't be afraid to go up to someone and introduce yourself. I guarantee if you follow my advice, these will be some of your most memorable years!

Catherine

The BEST thing about this university is the location. I am SO happy I went to a school that is in a city. I used to hate cities with passion, but there is ALWAYS something going on, and it's a great place to really expand your horizons. Public transportation makes it easy to get around. Plus, there's so much to DO at the university! With such a huge population you can find someone else who likes things that you do, anywhere from traditional activities like the arts, sports and cultural clubs to more obscure passions like fencing, or knitting club. If you like something and can find 10 other people who like to too, then you can make a club for yourself! Since being here I have taken a rock climbing class at the gym as well as ballroom dance and belly dance, and I've attended all sorts of events. The school is HUGE! I love the diversity - there is so many more opportunities to meet so many different types of people. I go to school in the College of Fine Arts, so I know many artsy people. But I take classes in the College of Arts and Sciences so I meet people form there too, and then I do different extra-curricular activities and make many more friends.People are intimidated by the size - but I think it works to everyone's advantage. You have many more opportunities to find yourself and a good group of friends. Even if you can't find a single person that you like out of the over 16,000 undergrads or so, you are living in Boston with over 100 more colleges in the area. The city is FULL of students! The one MAIN complaint form EVERYONE - it allll comes down to money. This school is ridiculously expensive, and costing more each year with the economy. I had scholarships to other school that almost paid for all my tuition, but I chose to come here and put myself and my family in tons of debt since we were hit hard by the recession. I chose to come here for the superior classes and faculty for my specific major, and I don't regret it. It's easy to look back with regret when looking at bank statements or after a rough day, but the benefits outweigh it all.

Tell us about your professors.

My professors were collectively AWESOME. For the price you pay for university, they better be! My mentor teacher for my major is my inspiration, to this day. She is the reason I attended BU (story for another time), and a huge reason why I excel today, having graduated and moved on to newer things. She is friendly and warm, and eccentric. She always tied her hair in a bun with a pencil/pen in it, and used many 'unconventional' teaching methods to get her point across. I went to school in the College of Fine Arts, where you can be sure to meet a very wide variety of personalities. World-class orchestral players teaching part-time when they aren't playing in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, dramatic actors and other creative artists. My liberal arts teachers included professors who published modern translations of ancient Greek literature, world-famous archaeologists who actively travel to digs in obscure Egyptian ruins, passionate Shakespeare buffs, and so many more. I can say, with all complete honesty, that I never had a professor I did not like and truly respect. Perhaps I was just lucky, or am easily pleased. However, I do attribute BU's success in part to the world-class staff here at the school.

The school is HUGE - and there are SO many different people from all over the states and the world. I don't really want to stereotype, because there are already so many stereotypes you can read about elsewhere on this site and in my review. So keep in mind - it is a city basically run by college students - I live here and work in the summers so I can tell you that it has SIGNIFICANTLY less people in the summer months. Cities, especially on the coast, are particularly diverse, as are the students of BU. And if you really can't find anyone at Boston University that you really click with, there is an entire city full of other college students.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The subject of this post says it all. BU is known for hockey, and has an intense rivalry with BC, as well as any other school. Games are full with all sorts of traditions - everyone wears their scarlet and white, there is the "Dog Pound" of dedicated fans, who usually lead all the chants (with traditional choreographed moves to some chants/songs), there is something about a Hotdog and Jesus? (people dress up in costume), and some guy nick-named Sasquatch who takes off his shirt and runs around when the band plays a metal tune. Yes my friends, it's THAT intense. I would say the BU school spirit is at it's highest levels at the games, including the Beanpot. The BU Band shows up to every game and plays all sorts of tunes to get the crowd going. It is quite a sight, and even if you are completely opposed to sports, you must go before you graduate. BU has tons of other sports as well; while the men's hockey seems to overshadow everything, the women's hockey team is good. We also have basketball teams that I hear are quite good, as well as soccer. Plus basically every other sport you can think of. If you want to play it, you will find it here. There are also tons of intramural sports, from the traditional to the no-so-traditional. Do you want to play ultimate frisbee? Great. Broomball? Done. Quidditch? Oh yea, you better believe it. If you have never played a sport and want to, that's cool too. Take a class at the gym from everything between fencing, dance classes, work-out classes, traditional sports, and rock climbing. I highly suggest the rock-climbing. Better yet, take it as a one credit PDP class included in your tuition with those extra credits you have, and get CREDIT to have fun! And again, Fenway is practically on BU campus, for all you baseball fans. And depending where you live freshman year, you might even be able to watch the game from your room in Warren Towers.

What's the Greek scene like?

I don't really know much about Greek life at BU. here are some basics: I know it exists, and I am told the frats are all full of "bros." There are multiple frats and sororities, so if you are interested I know it's a good idea to rush and meet all the different groups. I had a friend who rushed and had a blast. However, keep in mind Greek life can be expensive. As for the sororities, I know they don't have living arrangements on campus. There's an old rumor claiming there is an old Massachusetts law that more than 5 women living together under one roof can be categorized a brothel, and is therefore illegal. No one I meet has any idea if it is true, but it is an entertaining story.

Describe a typical weekend.

In college, a lot of your night-life weekend fun will depend on if you are legal to drink. ***I am NOT saying that drinking is the only fun you can have*** I AM saying that being under 21 can somewhat limit your fun, as many concerts sell alcohol and therefore do not allow underage people. Also, all the clubs in Boston are 21+ for the same reason - if a venue sells alcohol, they aren't allowed to have underage youth. So, chances are you won't be able to go to a cool jazz lounge or out for a night at the clubs. There are exceptions of course - Cambridge doesn't have quite the same rule I don't think. Places like the Middle East and TT the Bears often have 18+ concerts of local musicians. Big concert names are usually all ages. Also look in Allston, right past BU West. Sometimes the Paradise Lounge, Great Scotts, and the Brighton Music Hall have 18+ events. Usually there are college night 'club' styled dances at some halls on weeknights. It can be a good way to get off campus. Other ways to spend your weekend nights include just hanging out with friends, shopping, going out to eat etc. There are plenty of cool places to just chill out. Once you are 21, the adult nightlife options open up immensely. There are PLENTY of clubs and bars and pubs to go to, all ranging in price. If you get on a guest-list for a club girls can often get in free/guys a discount before a certain time. However, be careful - it still is a city, and you have to be responsible for yourself. ALWAYS stay with a buddy. Also, the T closes before 1am, and clubs are only open til 2. So you will need to pay for a cab, and if you have ANY hope of getting said cab, you better leave the club at 1:30 am. During the days time it is MUCH more flexible. The city has TONS to do if you learn how to look. Using the Boston University calendar can help you find all sorts or shows, concerts, activities etc on campus and can be a good resource to find things to do if you don't want to go far. For the city, I always check out the Phoenix paper for art events (free!) and boston.com/calendar for all the best events. Also, the city of Boston's website has a calendar with city-wide events which can be helpful. Don't forget to look in other easy-to-get-to areas like Allston, Cambridge, Brookline and Brighton. Plus, BU students get in free to the Museum of Fine Arts which is full of cool artifacts and artwork, as well as the Institute of Contemporary Art if you are interested. During the baseball season, you can get student rush tickets if you stake out - plus Fenway is literally RIGHT next to BU. If you want a nice walk, hanging out along the Charles River on the bike path is great especially y in spring and summer. Don't forget - you have an ENTIRE city to explore! The North End, South End, Faneuil Hall area, Back Bay etc. All of them have VERY distinctive qualities and are all different. There is ALWAYS something going on - you just need to be proactive in looking to find it so you don't miss out!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

BU has great places where you can get your work done. Personally, I always tried not to do too much work in my dorm room (I read some study somewhere that said doing work in your room can lead to insomnia because you associate your room with stress? No idea if it's true, but it was interesting. If anything, I get too distracted in my room and will end up procrastinating). Soo - the GSU (George Sherman Union) has comfy chairs to hang out. The library on campus -Mugar - is probably even better though. There are plenty of places to sit down for long study sessions, and it's open late. However, my FAVORITE place to study is the top of the Student Village dorms for upperclassmen. They over look the beautiful Charles River, and are a fantastic to study in some quiet with a gorgeous view of a sunset over the river.

I've taken so many cool classes at BU. I am a music major so my schedule is mostly music heavy. But for my liberal arts credits I've taken Ancient Greek Civilization, Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, Art and Architecture of Ancient Americas, Sociology, World Beat, a writing class on Dante's Inferno and a few others. My classes in the music department are always fantastic. The faculty really know their craft and are willing to spend hours with you so you can really learn a subject. Plus, my classes are always small and the students usually all know each other. I feel I've really learned my craft and have been getting prepared to get a job with confidence in my skills. I am a music ed major, so I spend a lot of time in education methods courses - those are my FAVORITE because we address ways to improve education in our own classrooms and on a broader scale. The music ed faculty is comprised or active researchers and teachers in their field with years of experience. The most unique class I'm taking is CFA's African Drum and Dance Ensemble. It's a class that meets once a week at night for 2.5 hours of drumming and traditional West African dancing. It's SO Much fun and a great workout!

One of the main stereotypes of BU students is that we are all slackers from rich families that bought our way into the university, or that BU is the school for rich kids who got rejected from Harvard. While I'm sure some students like this exist since the population is so huge, most people I know are receiving some sort of financial aid to pay for the enormous price tag on the school and have worked very hard to get here. Some students love the challenge and prestige of the university without it being Ivy League. Then, within the university there are more broken down stereotypes, anything from wardrobes to colleges. For example, there is a derogatory stereotype of the "BU Biddy" - the girls who are probably rather intelligent to get into the school but spend their days partying, etc. There is a stereotype of the athletes all being stupid but having people to do their work for them. People are always mentioning a lot North Face jackets, Uggs, and girls who wear leggings as pants as BU wardrobe essentials. As for colleges, there are clever acronyms for them. I don't know most of them but here's a couple examples: CGS, the college of general studies for undecided majors has the name "Crayons, Glue, Scissors" because of the stereotype that anyone spending their first two years in that college was too stupid to get into a 'real' college. CFA, the College of Fine Arts: Also known as the 'College of Failed Aspirations" because of the 'starving artist' stereotype. Most don't understand why some many students would pay so much money for a major that is very hard to succeed in. (For the record, I am in CFA). While I don't generalize the people at BU any certain way, stereotypes all come from some truth. It's not fair to judge most of the students because of the few rotten apples that spoiled the bunch.

Wonderful and full of enriching opportunities.

Wonderful and full of enriching opportunities.

If I were to go back and talk to my high school senior self I would first warn myself of the widespread competition. In addition, I would tell myself to order text books in advance and study them prior to arriving on campus (mainly for Chemistry). Knowing me, I probably would not take that advice, so, I may as well give myself easier advice. I would instead tell myself that the transition is difficult, but as long as I keep in touch with my high school friends and make friends at college in the beginning rather than soley sticking with my roommate, I should be fine. The main problem for me was my unfortunate fall out with my roommate, my only friend my first two weeks of school. Once she was gone, it was difficult to fill my time. It would be beneficial to be able to tell myself about the unfortunate situation.

Makaela

Our strong science and engineering programs definitely pull students to Boston University. Additionally, the school of management is well recognized. Students will come to Boston University because they know that BU has good programs, but also a thriving environment- BU is known for being in a great city!

Makaela, it may seem as though your parents and academic counselors are pressuring you about class placement and curriculum, but what they say is absolutely true. When you sign up for classes in college, all of the AP credits and IB credits contribute to your college credits! So do not let the opportunity to take college classes in high school pass you by. Once you get into college, you'll feel overwhelmed academically. But if you already come in with credits you'll be off to a much better start. That being said, take advantage of the classes you can take in college! Challenge yourself, and explore new areas of interest. College is the best time to widen your world and explore new areas of knowldege. I will admit, social life, community service, and other activities on campus are a large portion of the college life. But do not underestimate the classes and knowledge offered to you.

Someone who is conservative or narrow-minded definitely should NOT consider Boston University. Additionally, someone who is looking for a rural campus with a distinct "core" should skip over BU; since we are in a city Boston University can sometimes seem integrated right with the rest of Boston. And while we have a good humanities program, those who are solely considering an English or History major might find better placement at a liberal art college built on perfecting that type of program.

Somiya

Subjects are interesting as professors put a lot of sincere effort into classes and the students are great as everyone's interested in different things; so Boston University is a great place to learn and grow academically and as a person.

Classmates vary in life experience and backgrounds nevertheless quite respectful and intellectual: we are a true college society.

“Sarah’s gay,” or, “Tom had sex with Angie,” or even, “Margaret said she wants to commit suicide,” are nasty bullet-in-the-heart type of rumors that will zoom throughout high-school at the speed of light. Remember, rumors are like traffic: A busy NYC lawyer could take the elevator down to scream at the traffic outside his office or he could just choose to ignore the noise. Especially if the rumor is about you stay out of it. Trust me; you are doing the right thing. Focus on developing yourself so that one day you will shed light upon the gossipers. Only you know what you want and where your heart wants to be. See your life now as a diamond in the rough- nothing but a pebble. When you ask, "Why do we have to learn this?" think of all the different points of light on a diamond as ways to appreciate life. If all you did for four years was to play video games, you’d become a brainwashed couch potato and your diamond a lumpy rock with one random facet on its side. Let’s be honest here. No one wants to be that rock.

Ruth
How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

It doesn't hurt to home phone once a day for a short conversation. I didn't more because I didn't find the time to, but my roommate did. If you get homesick easily, I would advise against phoning home every day.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Obviously a library. Mugar is the most popular. During the warm months, you could lay down on COM lawn to get in touch with your "earthy" nature-loving side. There are also study lounges in dorms.

What's the Greek scene like?

Only 10% of the student population is involved, but it does have a good presence at BU.

What do students complain about most?

The cost of BU (but this is expected of a lot of schools) and the dorms

BU is pretty diverse so it's hard to say that there is one stereotype. Greek life is only 10% of the school although it does have a presence. Sports is mainly seen in hockey and basketball. And while there are plenty of smart people, not everyone was a valedictorian from their high school.

Isabel

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known what extra curriculars I would want to get into. Boston University is a very large school and sometimes it is easy to be interesting in everything and not have enough time to do one thing in particular. However, the diversity of extra curricular activities makes the school that much better (in my opinion).

I would say the most frustrating thing about my school is that it does not give out enough financial aid to those who need it. Although I was given financial aid, unfortunately some of my good friends and colleagues are forced to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans that they will have to pay back for years after they graduate.

Lena

The school has a bad rep right now for some almost criminal acitivities going on by the students. But I had some of my best years at this school.

If I was to give my high school self some advice, I would tell myself to forget my insecurities, and that everything will be alright. In high school, I was shy and built this wall between myself and the world around me. My parents got divorced my freshman year, and this resulted in my anxiety disorder and depression. I constantly worried about not having friends and despising myself. When I think back to what my insecurities were about, and how they tortured me in my head, I laugh. How silly are those things to me now. In fact, so many high school drama stories are laughable after a few short years. If I could pass on this knowledge and confidence with my advice, I would. If I were to relive high school, I would walk the hallways with my head held high, and I would stand up for myself no matter who tried to put me down. Every small comment from the school bully or it girl would be defended with my confidence in my intelligence and genius sarcasm. I would leave those hallways everyday confident in what I would become once I graduate, and that is something special.

The dumb freshman biddies. Please do not be one. Dont where a short skirt in 20 degree weather. Don't comple a million walk of shames your first year. Stay classy.

Melody

I would tell myself to focus and never give up. Don't listen to any who has any negative words on what I'm doing. If I believe I can do it, then go for it. You have to give it your all and never quit.

Boston University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.