Boston, MA
Boston University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Boston University

Boston University is a wonderful university. Its students are academically driven and use the city of Boston as an excellent resource for internship, research, and job opportunities; at the same time, the univeristy fosters a fun and creative atmosphere. We're attending Red Sox games with our discount student tickets, exploring Faneuil Hall's marketplace, seeing Seth Meyers perform in our student union, and more. One of my favorite aspects of BU is its campus: Commonwealth Avenue is lined with Boston University colleges, laboratories, and dormitories, and I know so many people as I walk around the street. We've got a campus feel while being pracitically in the heart of Boston. If I could change one thing, it would perhaps be the weather. Sometimes it can get snowy and cold, but this means plenty of snowball fights! Overall, I have immensely enjoyed my time at Boston Univeristy.

At Boston University, there are student activities and groups for everyone. We have performance centers for theater majors but also for students who simply enjoy acting. You can find students cheering on the BU crew team during the Head of the Charles Regatta (the largest rowing race in the world held each fall in Boston) or putting together teams for Race for the Cure. I am involved in a sorority, a student newspaper, BU admissions, and a television show on campus, and this names just a few of BU's many activities on campus. I love attending comedy shows put together by Liquid Funn, a student improv group. There is even a club that offers free hugs on Fridays!

Dean

There really isn't a stereotype for students here at Boston University. Students are all very different and are motivated to do their own types of things. I guess the stereotype would be that there is no stereotype for students here.

Students here, in my opinion, are all very amazing, and I'm sure they are the ones who are going to be changing the world for the better once they graduate. People come here from all walks of life, socially, economically, culturally, etc. However, it's still super easy to get to know anyone and become the best of friends.

The sports that are the most popular on campus would be our hockey, basketball, and soccer teams. They usually do get a good showing of BU fans to come and support their games during their season. BU is by no means a sports-dominating school. BU has actually just joined the Patriot League, which puts an emphasis on student in student athlete. Over 500 groups and organizations can be found at Boston University. I'm part of a few of the cultural associations, the College of Arts and Sciences' Dean's Hosts, and I participated in the I Embrace You club my freshmen year (the hugging club!). I loved the experiences from all of them, and there's always this huge event in the beginning of the semester called Splash, where all the clubs on campus advertise their clubs to get new members (and you can always snag a few free items too!). I would say a decent amount of students participate in community service organizations as well, with the Community Service Center's programs being always popular. There's a huge event each year called 'Global Day of Service', where students and alumni volunteer around Boston and around the World, and tons of people sign up (I've done it each year I've been here so far!). As for Greek Life, BU is definitely not a go-greek-or-go-home school. Around 14% of our undergraduates do participate in sororities/fraternities, but you don't need to join one if you're looking for a social life, because you can have one without them. There's always events going on at Boston University, and the Boston general area as well, so I've never had a day where I really didn't have anything to do. Go explore Boston, visit the Museum of Fine Arts, head to our BU Central to see local artists, comedians, comedy-sketch groups, etc., and you'll have a great time wherever!

Brenden

In my mind, the school is best known for excellence in education and a wide variety of resources being available to students. That is why I have made the choice to pursue my graduate degree here. I have friends in other programs, or who went here for Undergraduate degrees, and the opportunities they've been given and the excellent educations they've obtained are very impressive.

Keep as many friendships as possible and don't ever use anybody as a temporary means to an end. You don't need to stay in touch with every person you've ever known, but you'll realize years later that you've turned your back on good people and in some cases, it will be too late. Do what makes you happy, but keep an eye on the future. I have never regretted a single art class, but there's nothing wrong with sneaking in a marketing class or two. You'll have to learn a lot of those skills later. Artists need to know how to communicate, too. Trust me when I tell you to continue studying Spanish. It will come in handy more often than you think and it's a lot harder to pick back up when you're in your late twenties. You're going to do very well by following your heart, but if I could sum up what I wish you'd done a better job of, please stop and think about what you're doing and how it will affect your future and the people around you more often that I did.

I am starting in the fall, but I wish I had remembered just how much work goes into getting ready for school. All the financial details and papaer work are very important and I think a lot of students forget how much of that there ends up being. It is important to be organized and dedicated even before classes start.

Timothy

Boston University is a great college in an urban setting that perfectly combines the opportunities of an enourmous educational institution with the atmosphere of a smaller, tight-knit community.

I honestly can't say much bad about it, except that its honors college is not well run.

I know it's scary going so far away from home and most of your closest friends, but know that this is going to be the best year of your life. You are going to meet so many great people and have so many great experiences that you never had before and would never have been able to have if you had stayed in your comfort zone. It's going to be scary, I'm not going to lie. But embrace that feeling. Embrace the nervousness. Because nervousness is the feeling that comes right before something great happens. You are going to grow so much as a person, and have the time of your life. Now for some more specific advice. Go check to see how Spencer is doing early on in that party in your room; he's going to throw up. Definitely hash out the details of who gets the bathroom in the suite before deciding on who you'll be living with sophomore year. Also, set two alarms for your statistics final second semester. Just trust me on that one. Above all, remember to be who you are and give everything your best. You'll be fine.

Dionicy

BU is know for its research.

BU is know for its research.

Do not slack! You may think you know it all but that is not true. Procrastination is the enemy and it is up to you to take it down. Make flashcards after every lecture and study because good grades will not be handed to you. You will regret it (terribly) if the semester ends and you are left with bad grades that you know you could have avoided by studying more.

There is space for every type of person at BU. However, I think people who attend here need to be academically focused because it is really easy to let your grades slip if you do not put 100% into your studying and homework.

Shaun

Just a 1 minute walk or t ride from being in boston. Perfect size. Boston in a college city. Great food. people complain about classes being hard or that they get tired of the food but what college doesn't have this.

In SMG, its a pretty easy schoolwork wise as long as you can pick up on how the concepts are taught. Its extremely hard to get an A but pretty east to get a B-

A lot of people that were the above average in high school that did well without trying. People from every corner of the world.

Nevin

A more detailed explanation of academics. Well professors in my colleges ( CGS and COM) tend to be interested in learning your name and classes after intro ones are pretty small. Friends in CAS and SMG have gave me mixed opinions on this. At BU you will have to study! If you don't study for the most part expect a D or a C. Studying will get you at least a C+ or higher, grade deflation is REAL at BU. Students in COM and SMG are very competitive. Especially in COM in the Public Relations major. So far I feel like intro classes and general ed classes are actually worth it at BU. A lot of the things I learned in History general ed classes have helped me with understanding what is going on in Russia/Ukraine right now.

Lucas

There are people from all over the world that are at the school. There are lots of different cultures that interact on campus...

I would tell myself that it is really important to balance everything that you want to do and not get too overwhelmed with everything going on. Just take things one week at a time, don't think about everything all at once. Otherwise it will drive you crazy with all the thing happening.

There are so many opportunities to do the things that you want to do. There are a lot of people that help you be prepared for life after college.

Jeraldin

I was stuck between Boston University(BU) and Worcester Polytechnic Institute(WPI). The reason I picked Boston University over WPI and all the other schools is because it is diverse in every aspect. I was not sure what I wanted to study so I did not want to go to a school that was focused on one area of study. The other great thing is that you meet so many people from different parts of the world because a lot of international students attend BU.

In my opinion, everyone should consider coming to Boston University but not everyone should come here. Boston University is a very rigorous school. Someone who is not willing to spend hours on homework each day should not come here. Also, if they are someone who studies for their exams the day before, they definitely should not come. Any exam here you need to study days before in order to do well.

Here you are thinking you're fully prepared to go to college. Attending a college-prepatory high school and balancing school, church and sports are not enough. There is still some more preparing to do. You need to prepare yourself. Remember that Boston University is not Classical High School. You are attending one of the best universities in the world. You received an amazing scholarship from them and had great grades but once you are here you need to continue to strive to do your best. Even though it is a lot harder and there is smaller room for error it does not mean you can't succeed. Now you are learning to be independent and manage your time better. I know you very well so my biggest word of advice to you is don't drown yourself. What I mean is you tend to forget that you need time for others and yourself. You focus and worry too much about being the best because you came from a poor family and are a first generation student. Remember, you can do this. You have a new chance at the day every morning you wake up. Just be you!

Boston University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.