Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Ema

Our school is best known for it's location. Brigham Young University- Hawaii is located only 5 mintues walking distance from the beach. Also, right next door to the campus is the Polynesian Cultural Center, which is the main tourist attraction in Oahu. The center also provides jobs for the majority of students at BYUH, and provides a cultural learning experience that is unparallelled.

First, I would tell myself to relax but stay focused on my studies. In college I've learned that it is possible to get good grades and be social at the same time, and that having fun really should be a part of life. I would encourage students to venture out of their homestate; the rest of the world is so different and so much bigger than you could ever imagine. I'd also tell myself that hard work pays off, and it was good to keep a job during high school, even if it seemed difficult. I would encourage other students to also work through high school; college isn't cheap, but the experiences you'll create on your own is far worth any monetary value.

One of the negative aspects of Brigham Young University- Hawaii is the lack of majors it provides. The academics here are great, but there aren't as many options or majors to choose from. I think that more majors would boost the schools potential a hundred fold, because every other aspect of the school is phenomenal.

Classmates are very helpful and honest, they push you to do your best, so that everyone graduates.

I would tell myself to do my best in classes and to join a sport and to practice as much as I can in order to become good, so that I can get scholorships and grants that will help me financially so that I wouldn't have to rely on the help of my parents for rent or food and I wouldn't have to stress about money and I would be able to concentrate better on my studies. I would tell myself to just focus on school. I would let myself know that there are so many opportunities out there and that I should take advantage of it. I would give myself a list of the classes I need to take in order to graduate and a list of books, so that I can be a head in my class and deduct stress in my life. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy school and to live in the moment. I would tell myself to not date until I am at the University of Brigham Young in Hawaii because that is where I will meet my husband and eternal companion.

A person who wants to be in a healthy environment, who wants to get so much out of their education and will not be influenced to drink, smoke or do any activities that are not safe for their body and spirit.

Katelyn

It is a culturally diverse school where everyone wants you to succeed.

It is a culturally diverse school where everyone wants you to succeed.

In high school I had a bad attitude about thinking that high school was a waste of time. The advice I would give myself is do not think like that. Focus on the positive. Honestly speaking I am appreaciative of high school. Now that I look back, I got a really good education. I learned so much. Everything I did prepared me for what I do now. High school and college are basically the same thing. The only difference is in college they hold you to a higher standard. If I could go back I'd tell myself to have more positive attitude.

Brigham Young University of Hawaii offers a very unique experiance. It is very diverse and mulitcultural. There is a sense of love for every student. The teachers are caring and want you to succeed. There is an expectation that holds all the students to the next level. I do not have any problems with it.

Sala

My fellow freshmen have an inability to focus.

My fellow freshmen have an inability to focus.

Probably the beach. While the beach's nearness is the best thing about my school, it's also the worst. It's the number one reason students from the mainland U.S. come to the school. See the problem? Students come to the school for the beach, not to go to school. As a result? The average GPA of the freshmen class is 2.0. Sad, right?

Keep on going! You were the one that wanted to graduate early, so just don't give up. I know it's hard to keep up with academics and social activities, but it'll pay off. Think of what we're doing--think of why we're doing it! You can do it. I believe in us.

celestine

I wish I knew that I must need to be friendly and make the first move when meeting people. I thought I didn't need to make the first move to know others before. Now I realised greeting people first can make you more likely to have more friends in this school. I wish I knew the extent of isolation of this school, so I can buy more useful supplies beforehand.

A person who is willing to accept people from different cultural backgrounds and to be friendly and nice to them. An outgoing and friendly person so they can meet more people and learn more about other people from various countries around the world. A kind and humble person so that people may find them easy going and can blend with them more easier.

I think that anyone with a dream hould come. It is a great place to meet new people, and if you are looking for a fun way to learn new cultures, experiance new things, and have a blast come! Everyone who is an anyone can become someone because of everyone!

Don't be afraid to be who you are! Yes college life can be scary, and the world can be scary, but take a leap of faith and hit it straight on! Have fun in college, definately work hard too, but make the work fun. Don't procrastinate anything! Make tons of friends! They will last a life time. Learn to be yourself, don't judge yourself to others, because you aren't them! And they aren't you! Study hard, it will make life a lot easier. Remember your family, religion and friends. They will be there for you no matter what. Listen in those boring college meetings, they don't come here for nothing. Talk to your councler, tell them what your dreams are, they will help you reach them. And last but not least, never let yourself get lower than you deserve. Work hard to reach your full potential!!

I think that the worst thing about BYU Hawaii is the fact that the beach and ocean is so close, and you have class. It really stinks sometimes when the surf is good, and you are in class. But it still works out, just go after class!

Jamie

The worst thing about Brigham Young University-Hawaii is its proximity to the beach. The beach is less than a 10 minute walk from on-campus housing; so on days that I don't want to study, it's easy to walk away from my pile of books.

"Hey self! You're pretty pathetic sitting there waiting for your college acceptance and rejectance letters. We know you hate your high school classes, classmates, teachers, etc. so start mentally preparing yourself to be mindblown with the happiest most satisfying life you can't even imagine. You're going to be accepted to the school you've dreamed of since the first grade and you're going to thrive there! You'll even get a 4.0 your first semester! The losers in your 'circle of friends' all end up broken-up and unhappy because of the stupid decisions they made in high school. So self, keep your head up because you're doing everything you need to get yourself out of this crap town and you'll be reaping the rewards in paradise soon. And be sure to request room 121 in Hale 2 because that's where your best friend lives. You're welcome."

Someone who attends Brigham Young University-Hawaii should be: open to new experiences and cultures, prepared for academic rigor, prepared to be extremely happy, and willing to live the standards set by the university.

Cecilia

Culturally diverse university with small classes and limited majors.

Culturally diverse university with small classes and limited majors.

As a high school senior I thought I had my life plan completely figured out. I knew which university I wanted to attend, I knew what I wanted to study, and I thought I knew how to get there. What I didn’t know is that life is unpredictable, and things don’t always play out the way that you imagined they would. I got into the university that I had always wanted to, only to change my mind a year later and attend a different school completely that I had never imagined I’d want to go to. I wish I could tell my high school self that it is okay to have your plans change, and to expect that they almost always inevitably will. I would tell myself to create backup plans because in life we don’t always have control over our circumstances. Creating backup plans gives peace of mind and the ability to grow to our full potential. The final piece of advice I’d give myself is to apply for more scholarships. Receiving further education is expensive, and taking the time to apply to as many scholarships as you can is completely worth it.

The worst thing about this school is probably all of the rules. It is a very private and conservitive church school, which means plenty of things are not allowed. Men can't even have beards at this school, that is an example of how strict it is.

Alecsa

My classmates are an amazing array of different nationalities, they come from all over the world and bring a diverse cultural aspect to the campus that makes it unlike any other university on earth.

My school has students and professors from all around the world, bringing a larger perspective and cultural awareness to the campus; also the university is located on the north shore of Oahu, it allows for plenty of adventure for people who love nature and the great outdoors.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to have a job all throughout highschool. I worked odd jobs throughout the school year and I always had a summer job, but if I had a steady job I could have saved a lot more money. There are so many things you can do when you have availabilty of money. I also would have told myself to focus on what I was passionate about and to learn as much as possbible about things that put me in a flow and give me inspiration. I wish I had taken the time to get to know more people's stories and to learn everything I could about the world around me. I want to be aware of cultural diversity and different perspectives. I wish I had used all of my resources to understand the world around me and absorb more information. I hope that my knowledge can one day benefit myself, my future family, and my community surrounding me.

BYU-Hawaii has a very laid back environment and allows you to meet a wide range of people from all over the world.

My classmates at BYU-Hawaii are from all over the world and are very accepting of everyone from any background.

Rachel, I know you are nervous about going to college but it is honestly not as scary as you think. Don't stress out about making friends here becasue there is always someone who you can talk to and is willing to be your friend. Also, all the drama going on in high school and all the snooty people will not matter after high school. You are entering an entirely new environment full of people who know nothing about you. Yes, you are going to miss your friends and family, but honestly the time flies by and in no time you will be back home. Rachel, the classes you take in college will also be more interesting because these are the classes that will help you do what you want to do. Yes they will require a ton of time, but it will be worth it. Lastly, do not go into a biology major, you're just going to waste your time becasue you will eventually change it and want to be a teacher. Be excited! Don't be sad you are leaving, be happy you have such a great opportunity! Do not take any day for granted.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.