Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

John

Well it was 8 years after I left high school before I applied for college. If I could go back to my high school senior self I would tell him to try harder, dedicate himself to his studies and understand that there is a great potential within himself. I would tell him to apply to schools. Tell him to make sure that he begins his college career even if at a community college level and sticks to it. That he makes that dedication needed to get through college and come out on the other side a better educated individual that can find and work at a job that he loves.

A person dedicated to achieving success in college and future career with their degree. A person that understands the value of an education even if the cost is less than most 4 year univeristies.

A person that wants the prestige of attending a well known highly valued college. A person that feels that the more they pay the better the education. A person that wants to play sports like football.

Kimberly

To be quite honest I am not too sure, I recently transfered and I have only attended one quaeter so still I consider myself new to the campus. The reason why I chose to tranfer to this paticular school was because they offered a great philosophy program. One of my philosophy professors at the previous school that I attended highly recomended their program. As a philophy major its hard to find a good philophy program so I consider the philophy program unique compared to the other local schools.

If I had the oppurtunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to try my best and to give it 200% and not slack off because all the wrong choices I would make in a high school would not only affect me then as a high school student but they would also affect me in college. The more focus and dedicated you are in high school the more opportunities you have as a college student. An A student in high school has alot more oppurtunities and advantages in college then an average student, interms of advancement in a placement test, the more knowledge you have the higher score one will receive which leads to taking more advance classes and allows one to graduate sooner. There is also programs that give students incentives for high GPA's, and SAT scores. Colleges also offer well performed students extra grants, and scholarships to pay for education. Remember this is important because you are paying for your education, this extra help comes in very helpful for your pocket. The bottom line is that your performance in high school dictaes your future in college.

What I brag about the most is the beautiful scenery the campus is located on. I also like to brag about all the beutiful creatures that I get to enjoying viewing when I am arriving or leaving the campus. On campus we have horses, pigs, cows, goats, ducks, and a little pond filled with fish and turtles. The reason why I like to brag about this is because not alot of other schools offer this. Lastly, I like to brag about our rose garden, I enjoy studying in the rose garden, its a quiet peaceful place.

Merielle

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell her not to worry so much about social status. No one really cares about your past once you start college. Focus more on your studies and start developing a better study habit as opposed to joining all the clubs and taking part of random extra-curricular activities. Being involved and busy only pays off if your studies or sleep are not suffering. You can focus better in school if you did not stay up all night catching up on studying. Also, since you live in strongly engineer-populated town, start networking now. Making connections will pay off; the industry is a small world.

Before going to this school, I wish I had known how different the surroundings would be compared to high school. It seems that high school was constantly stressful, whereas college is only really stressful when it is midterms time.

Any one should attend this college.

Growing up, I knew I would be the first to graduate high school in my immediate family. That drove me all through my high school years. However, because of this, along with procrastination, I didn't start looking into college until the end of my senior year. By then, all the deadlines had already passed for most universities, as well as scholarships. If I could go back and tell myself about college life, what things I could do differently, etc., I feel as though I'd need to let myself know not to procrastinate. I should have started looking into schools and scholarships prior to my senior year, but even at the beginning of my senior year would have been helpful. I would tell myself not to go into college only looking to pass, but to go above and beyond. Now, I'm struggling to raise my GPA in order to even qualify for most scholarships. Of course, the past is the past. I must go on and continue to work hard in my schooling, because I've realized just how crucial it is in order to have a brighter future.

Alyshia

You must learn to persevere. The whirlwind of college is going to sweep you up faster than you can blink. The tests will be overwhelming. There will be endless coffees and sleepless nights, and more often than not, you will feel like curling up into your twin sized bed in your newfound box of a dorm room to leave your problems for another day; but you can't. What will set you apart from your peers, what will determine your success, is how much you give when there is nothing left to give. You must push and strive for all the things you know you can accomplish because you owe yourself that much, and no one else is going to do it for you. Even this isn't a fool proof method, and when you do make a questionable decision, or do something you regret. Forgive yourself. You are human. You will make mistakes, but you will pick yourself back up and you will fight to be better tomorrow. As you grow into adulthood, do not forget who you are and what you stand for, and always remember to love yourself.

Tori

My school, is unique because it is so culturally diverse. My school doesn't care what skn color you have, what religion you follow, any of your beliefs. None of it matters because we accept everyone at our school and there is nothing that we can't accept or work with. If you have an interest you think no one else shares its more than likely someone on our campus has the same interest.

Knowing what I now know abou college and campus life. I'd have to tell myself that I need to learn to be less socially awkward and more accepting of others attentions. I would warn myself that in college there are so many things that you coul be out there dong jus so long as you feel comfortable to go and talk to people about it.

If your thinking of attending my university and you have no sense of humor I would not advise you to go to my university. Seriusness while appreciated in class, some of them at least, is over rated at our school. Also if you are a intrpvet our school is too interactive and people won't let you be by yoursel

Devynn

They have amazing animal science programs. Also their whole philosophy is on hands on learning, which makes learing a lot better.

I would go back and tell myself to start thinking about college earlier and work on being in honnors programs starting freshmen year. You don't realize how important it is till it is too late. However, the best advice that I heard a lot but didn't take seriously is "getting involved". Everyone tells you to get involved but I never really listened. It really hurts you when you start to apply to colleges and you weren't involved in school programs. Even though I was super busy outside of school it wasn't enough. The best high school decision I ever made was joining the ROP program, and I wish I could have done other programs like it earlier.

Classes are hard to get sometimes but thats everywhere right now.

Katherine

If I were to give myself college advice as a high school senior, I would tell them its much easier than you think. Although at times it feels like college is going to be this horrible experience with having to change and meet new people and having to find financial aid and scholorships, I would say its good change and its not as hard as one would expect its to be. The school itself helps a lot with money situation and asking questions never hurts anyone. The people in college are different than those in high school. They don't care what you were or what your past is like, all they really care about is you now. You can make friends with anyone and they will respond in a kindly manner. Meeting new people isn't so hard the 3rd or 4th time around. The level of difficulty in classes is no harder than that of an AP class in high school. Plus you get to choose when to come and thats pretty amazing compared to high school. Its an exciting experience, plan to make the most of it.

Probably the best parts about the school to me are the animals near by along with the view. Its beautiful. One can see horses and cows in the back of the school, and in the winter, when the mountains gain the very little snow they recieve, you can see the mountain tops with the ice . To me its a gorgeous sight and I could watch it for days.

For me one of the most frustrating things about the school would have to be the parking situations. In the beginning of the school year its like of bad. Like unless your amazing at driving and being calm it might be easy but since so many people are enrolled in the fall it can be difficult to find a decent spot. As the year goes on though its gets better.

Lisa

Cal Poly Pomona is best known for their hands on learning style. For many people, the best way to learn is through experience and CPP gives you plen of experience in your field of study. There are many projects and internships that allow students to work and learn. They can gain experience while still learning and in my opinion, that is very important and the best kind of education out there.

With the knowledge that I gained over the years, the most important thing I would tell myself would be to make lots of friends in college. I would tell myself to try and be as sociable as possible because networking and having friends is very important in my social and academic life, especially having friends in the same major. High school did not prepare me for how difficult architecture actually was. It did not prepare me for the late nights of staying up, working on projects, or the constant stress in the major. I was not prepared to stay up night after night alone, working on projects and breaking down from the stress and loneliness. I wish I had known how important it would be to have a study buddy or to have someone help me when I needed it most. College is about making friends and creating experiences while pursuing your education. Knowing more people would have made a substantial difference for me. The only thing I regret would be that I did not put enough effort to meet and make new friends in the beginning, especially since I moved 120 miles away from home just to attend college.

I would not recommend this school to conservative students or students who prefer a large school population that focuses largely on research. Cal Poly Pomona is a very hands on school where many of the students learn by using these hands or doing. We are also very open to new ideas and new ways of trying something out.

Gerardo

Arabian horses that are raised on the campus. Cal Poly is also known for its "Learn by doing" policy which refers to hands on teaching techniques.

As a highschool freshman, I dreamed of going to college. Unfortunately as I worked my way through school, I graudally lost interest in college and focused my ambitions on becoming a rockstar instead. The rockstar life, although it was exciting for a while, never took me anywhere. I never made it big and I dropped out of college. After I got out of the Army, I started attending a community college and am now doing really well in school! My grades are excellent and my teachers respect me because I take college very seriously now. If only I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "Gerardo, go for it! You can get better at playing the guitar but don't lose sight of college. It is the only way to be successful in this society."

I wish that I had taken Physics ans Calculus before I came to this school.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.