Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Natalie

College is what you make of it. If you wish to succeed then you need to keep on top of your priorities. However, keep in mind to enjoy yourself & join a club, maybe a few. Never give up despite all the difficulties you encounter along the way & stand up for what is right. College is for your career, your life, so it's up to you to ensure you achieve your goals & all that you can. Learn what you love to do & go for it no matter what other people may say. Don't be afraid. It's your life, your time, your decisions. So make the most out of it & live it up while you still can. Never stop believing, especially in yourself. ;)

Cal Poly Pomona is a great school. There really is nothing wrong with it, although if you wish to change your major you (may) have to wait until the next year for your Change of Major Petition to be accepted. This means that, despite how early you drop off the petition, you may not be accepted until the end of the school year. This is due to some/most majors running on a tight class-to-be-taken schedule, where some classes are offered only during one quarter of the year & must be taken in order. Otherwise, CPP is great!

The wait list status for registering for classes could use some adjustments. Wait listed classes still count as part of the total number of class units you are allowed to take for the given quarter despite the fact it is not guaranteed you will be able to take the class. Makes registering for classes a little complicated.

Aaron

I would tell myself not to be so afraid. This would have been vital advice for myself, as well as for many incoming freshmen. I had always been the shy, quiet, anxious kid in high school, and I was not prepared for the new world that college was. Thusly, I was the traditional Cal Poly commuter student who came to campus, went to class, and went home without talking to anyone. I did not begin to make real connections on campus and make my great friends until my junior year (last year). My advice to myself, as well as other freshman, would be to not hold back. Get involved on campus, and don't be afraid of who you are. If you are a nerd who loved Harry Potter and Star Wars (as I am), there will be a place for you at Cal Poly Pomona. You may be surprised that by being yourself, you have a great time and make lifelong friends.

How fast the quarter system moves and the importance on staying on top of your work.

Michelle

Attending Cal Poly Pomona was one of the best times in my life because they provided me an excellent education in a fun environment. The best thing about my school that they are known for is creating a team work/family environment. I loved the fact that all the classes were small and hands on, so you really got to know who you were working with and that all the students were just as dedicated. I am still friends with all the people that I took classes with and came across at Cal Poly Pomona, great networking environment.

If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior and give myself advice about college, I would tell myself to avoid all the problems that set me back professionally. First, I would tell myself to go to junior college to save money and to earn transferable credits. Transfer to a school that is not just excellent, but a school that makes you feel comfortable and happy. Apply to housing at least the first year because it will save you money. Pick internships that are not on campus because you will have a better chance of obtaining a job after graduating. Lastly, and most important pick a career path that will be growing once graduated, so you do not have to face the hardship of trying to find a job in a bad economy. I would tell myself to focus on a career path in either technology/engineering, medicine or finance because there will always be jobs in these fields. Also, do not make the mistake of moving out of your schools local area after graduating because you will lose all networking connections, which will make finding a job even harder. Good luck!

I love Cal Poly Pomona, so it is extremely hard to point out the worst thing about my school. However, I feel that the guidance I received was lacking especially pertaining to internships. In order to graduate a student must complete two quarters worth of internships, which I did both on campus and not at an outside company. This I feel hurt me in trying to obtain a job position after graduation. I wish that my school would have guided me toward an internship outside of Cal Ply Pomona because I feel it would have benefited me much better.

Victor

I found out my junior year of college that the secret of succeeding in my college life lies in three words; DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. I got in the routine of doing assignments right when they were assigned and I found that I was almost always prepared for tests and final exams. Also, if I studied at least an hour a day for final exams I found that I did a lot better than if I crammed the night before. Its better to give yourself time to complete your assignments and go through the semester at a steady and calm pace than to continuously scramble and have anxiety over the millions of assignments you left at the last minute. College really sets the tone for your life and for your future, so be responsible, give your work 110% of your effort, and treasure your friendships. Also, while you are in college, attempt to gain work experience through internship experiences. Because my internship Senior year, I was able to get a job and begin my dream career. You'll have the opportunity to form invaluable connections if you reach out to people in your intended field of work before you graduate.

Students looking for arts related degrees should not attend the school because the department is incredibly small. Also, if students are looking to enter a campus with a main focus on campus life they should choose to attend a larger campus.

Students that are looking for great hands on learning in a small setting should attend the school. The school is competitive, but offers great learning experiences to their students through smaller classes and one on one experiences with professors. The school is popular for its technical majors, and students pursuing engineering or architecture majors would feel right at home on this campus.

Cal Poly Pomona is a diverse institution with wonderful professors who work hard to see students succeed. I love this school because they help each student become the change they want to see in their community. Cal Poly ensures that students feel comfortable in their academic enviroment by over resources necessary. The staff are helpful and the their built on team work, can make the drream work, meaning that we come together to see everyone strive fpr excellence. I love the committment Cal Poly offers to each student enrolled in their school, it shows that they care.

Cal Poly Pomona is know for academic excellence, affordable tuition and hands on experience for each student. Cal Poly makes sure that students do go academically and as individuals. We are also know for our top rank engineering program that is highly impacted. Cal Poly challenges each student to go above and beyond of what is expected of them in order to be the best. Cal Poly helps students built their critical thinking skills by having students think outside the box.

High school helps student prepare for college, and college help students prepare for life in the real world. College offers students the chance to become the person person they dreamed of, but of course it comes with more responsiblities. For high school students try your best on the SAT and the ACT and you will be closer to being accpeted to any college. College is abbout being self motivated, determined and willing to make scarifices to achieve your goals. The transition from high school to college is huge difference because in high school, teachers reminded you of what is exected. Howevever, in college you must make wise decisions and think critically to determine what is expected of you. My advice to future students is to be smart, strong and determine and you will go far in college and in life. The best way to predict the future is to create it, start strong and end even stronger.

Maria

If I could go back I would remind myself to stop bulking five college classes because it is too much for me to handle. I would advise myself to join an honor society becuase it would look good on my resume and so that I could form long lasting friendships. Also, at times I could not differentiate between my personal issues and my schoolwork. I could have paid attention to college admissions representatives and taken the main college admission test such as the SAT which is the gateway to many scholarships for universities and community colleges as I was unaware.

John

Well it was 8 years after I left high school before I applied for college. If I could go back to my high school senior self I would tell him to try harder, dedicate himself to his studies and understand that there is a great potential within himself. I would tell him to apply to schools. Tell him to make sure that he begins his college career even if at a community college level and sticks to it. That he makes that dedication needed to get through college and come out on the other side a better educated individual that can find and work at a job that he loves.

A person dedicated to achieving success in college and future career with their degree. A person that understands the value of an education even if the cost is less than most 4 year univeristies.

A person that wants the prestige of attending a well known highly valued college. A person that feels that the more they pay the better the education. A person that wants to play sports like football.

Kimberly

To be quite honest I am not too sure, I recently transfered and I have only attended one quaeter so still I consider myself new to the campus. The reason why I chose to tranfer to this paticular school was because they offered a great philosophy program. One of my philosophy professors at the previous school that I attended highly recomended their program. As a philophy major its hard to find a good philophy program so I consider the philophy program unique compared to the other local schools.

If I had the oppurtunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to try my best and to give it 200% and not slack off because all the wrong choices I would make in a high school would not only affect me then as a high school student but they would also affect me in college. The more focus and dedicated you are in high school the more opportunities you have as a college student. An A student in high school has alot more oppurtunities and advantages in college then an average student, interms of advancement in a placement test, the more knowledge you have the higher score one will receive which leads to taking more advance classes and allows one to graduate sooner. There is also programs that give students incentives for high GPA's, and SAT scores. Colleges also offer well performed students extra grants, and scholarships to pay for education. Remember this is important because you are paying for your education, this extra help comes in very helpful for your pocket. The bottom line is that your performance in high school dictaes your future in college.

What I brag about the most is the beautiful scenery the campus is located on. I also like to brag about all the beutiful creatures that I get to enjoying viewing when I am arriving or leaving the campus. On campus we have horses, pigs, cows, goats, ducks, and a little pond filled with fish and turtles. The reason why I like to brag about this is because not alot of other schools offer this. Lastly, I like to brag about our rose garden, I enjoy studying in the rose garden, its a quiet peaceful place.

Merielle

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell her not to worry so much about social status. No one really cares about your past once you start college. Focus more on your studies and start developing a better study habit as opposed to joining all the clubs and taking part of random extra-curricular activities. Being involved and busy only pays off if your studies or sleep are not suffering. You can focus better in school if you did not stay up all night catching up on studying. Also, since you live in strongly engineer-populated town, start networking now. Making connections will pay off; the industry is a small world.

Before going to this school, I wish I had known how different the surroundings would be compared to high school. It seems that high school was constantly stressful, whereas college is only really stressful when it is midterms time.

Any one should attend this college.

Growing up, I knew I would be the first to graduate high school in my immediate family. That drove me all through my high school years. However, because of this, along with procrastination, I didn't start looking into college until the end of my senior year. By then, all the deadlines had already passed for most universities, as well as scholarships. If I could go back and tell myself about college life, what things I could do differently, etc., I feel as though I'd need to let myself know not to procrastinate. I should have started looking into schools and scholarships prior to my senior year, but even at the beginning of my senior year would have been helpful. I would tell myself not to go into college only looking to pass, but to go above and beyond. Now, I'm struggling to raise my GPA in order to even qualify for most scholarships. Of course, the past is the past. I must go on and continue to work hard in my schooling, because I've realized just how crucial it is in order to have a brighter future.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.