Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Alyshia

You must learn to persevere. The whirlwind of college is going to sweep you up faster than you can blink. The tests will be overwhelming. There will be endless coffees and sleepless nights, and more often than not, you will feel like curling up into your twin sized bed in your newfound box of a dorm room to leave your problems for another day; but you can't. What will set you apart from your peers, what will determine your success, is how much you give when there is nothing left to give. You must push and strive for all the things you know you can accomplish because you owe yourself that much, and no one else is going to do it for you. Even this isn't a fool proof method, and when you do make a questionable decision, or do something you regret. Forgive yourself. You are human. You will make mistakes, but you will pick yourself back up and you will fight to be better tomorrow. As you grow into adulthood, do not forget who you are and what you stand for, and always remember to love yourself.

Tori

My school, is unique because it is so culturally diverse. My school doesn't care what skn color you have, what religion you follow, any of your beliefs. None of it matters because we accept everyone at our school and there is nothing that we can't accept or work with. If you have an interest you think no one else shares its more than likely someone on our campus has the same interest.

Knowing what I now know abou college and campus life. I'd have to tell myself that I need to learn to be less socially awkward and more accepting of others attentions. I would warn myself that in college there are so many things that you coul be out there dong jus so long as you feel comfortable to go and talk to people about it.

If your thinking of attending my university and you have no sense of humor I would not advise you to go to my university. Seriusness while appreciated in class, some of them at least, is over rated at our school. Also if you are a intrpvet our school is too interactive and people won't let you be by yoursel

Devynn

They have amazing animal science programs. Also their whole philosophy is on hands on learning, which makes learing a lot better.

I would go back and tell myself to start thinking about college earlier and work on being in honnors programs starting freshmen year. You don't realize how important it is till it is too late. However, the best advice that I heard a lot but didn't take seriously is "getting involved". Everyone tells you to get involved but I never really listened. It really hurts you when you start to apply to colleges and you weren't involved in school programs. Even though I was super busy outside of school it wasn't enough. The best high school decision I ever made was joining the ROP program, and I wish I could have done other programs like it earlier.

Classes are hard to get sometimes but thats everywhere right now.

Katherine

If I were to give myself college advice as a high school senior, I would tell them its much easier than you think. Although at times it feels like college is going to be this horrible experience with having to change and meet new people and having to find financial aid and scholorships, I would say its good change and its not as hard as one would expect its to be. The school itself helps a lot with money situation and asking questions never hurts anyone. The people in college are different than those in high school. They don't care what you were or what your past is like, all they really care about is you now. You can make friends with anyone and they will respond in a kindly manner. Meeting new people isn't so hard the 3rd or 4th time around. The level of difficulty in classes is no harder than that of an AP class in high school. Plus you get to choose when to come and thats pretty amazing compared to high school. Its an exciting experience, plan to make the most of it.

Probably the best parts about the school to me are the animals near by along with the view. Its beautiful. One can see horses and cows in the back of the school, and in the winter, when the mountains gain the very little snow they recieve, you can see the mountain tops with the ice . To me its a gorgeous sight and I could watch it for days.

For me one of the most frustrating things about the school would have to be the parking situations. In the beginning of the school year its like of bad. Like unless your amazing at driving and being calm it might be easy but since so many people are enrolled in the fall it can be difficult to find a decent spot. As the year goes on though its gets better.

Lisa

Cal Poly Pomona is best known for their hands on learning style. For many people, the best way to learn is through experience and CPP gives you plen of experience in your field of study. There are many projects and internships that allow students to work and learn. They can gain experience while still learning and in my opinion, that is very important and the best kind of education out there.

With the knowledge that I gained over the years, the most important thing I would tell myself would be to make lots of friends in college. I would tell myself to try and be as sociable as possible because networking and having friends is very important in my social and academic life, especially having friends in the same major. High school did not prepare me for how difficult architecture actually was. It did not prepare me for the late nights of staying up, working on projects, or the constant stress in the major. I was not prepared to stay up night after night alone, working on projects and breaking down from the stress and loneliness. I wish I had known how important it would be to have a study buddy or to have someone help me when I needed it most. College is about making friends and creating experiences while pursuing your education. Knowing more people would have made a substantial difference for me. The only thing I regret would be that I did not put enough effort to meet and make new friends in the beginning, especially since I moved 120 miles away from home just to attend college.

I would not recommend this school to conservative students or students who prefer a large school population that focuses largely on research. Cal Poly Pomona is a very hands on school where many of the students learn by using these hands or doing. We are also very open to new ideas and new ways of trying something out.

Gerardo

Arabian horses that are raised on the campus. Cal Poly is also known for its "Learn by doing" policy which refers to hands on teaching techniques.

As a highschool freshman, I dreamed of going to college. Unfortunately as I worked my way through school, I graudally lost interest in college and focused my ambitions on becoming a rockstar instead. The rockstar life, although it was exciting for a while, never took me anywhere. I never made it big and I dropped out of college. After I got out of the Army, I started attending a community college and am now doing really well in school! My grades are excellent and my teachers respect me because I take college very seriously now. If only I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "Gerardo, go for it! You can get better at playing the guitar but don't lose sight of college. It is the only way to be successful in this society."

I wish that I had taken Physics ans Calculus before I came to this school.

KAYLA

If I could go back to high school I would tell my high school senior self to not sweat the small stuff. To enjoy life as a young adult more because once you get to college things are not as easy. Classes are harder and you are on your own left to figure out a way to pay for your college education. I would also tell myself that life gets better, life in high school does not define who you are and the mean kids that seemed to have it so easy are just normal people with the same problems as me.

I believe the most fustrating thing about my school is that if I want to change majors or switch classes it is extremly difficult. There are wait lists and the process can dely being able to graduate in four years.

Majority of my friends believe that cal states in california are not "good"schools but what I like to tell them is that I am going to one of the top Cal States that is only one of the two schools that is a polytechnic school and they teach us by doing instead of the reserch method.

Aivan

Aivan (that's me), you should have take more AP classes so you don't have to do the all the GE requirements in college now.

I don't like the shower in the dorm hall. They are too small for me.

Olivia

If I could go back in time, one of the first things I would advise my senior self, regarding college life, would be to not stress out so much. College life is easier than high school teachers and advisors make it out to be. In college, most professors only care about two or three tests that you take in the course, unless it is an English class, where most of the work is essays. There is hardly any assigned homework, but studying is important to maintain good grades. I believe it is also important to get involved. When I joined the track team on campus, it was then that I meet some of my best friends that I spend a lot of time with. Joining a club will make campus life fun and you will meet so many people. It may seem scary moving away, but it is one of the best experiences for me. Also, eating at the dining commons can be terrible at times, but remember that the farm store is an option for healthy food.

I consider the best thing about my school is the diversity. There are so many different people coming from all kinds of backgrounds, so most people are really open-minded towards one another. By meeting so many people, I was able to learn a lot about different cultures.

Before coming to Cal Poly Pomona, I wish I had known that the farm store accepted meal points. It was not until the end of the year that I found out that I could use meal points to buy food there. If I had know about it, I could have been eating healthier the whole year. At the farm store they have fruits, vegetables, and other healthy food that is grown by the agriculture department at school. I would have have prefered that over the junk food that they sold on campus.

Victor

"Never look back at life thinking you "should've", "could've", "would've", done anything. Be appreciative on what your parents have provided for you and actually adapt to the life you soon will end up living if you truly are given that opportunity to. Don't be lazy and slack off because it is your last year of high school and you think you already have it easy, make sure to finish above a 4.0 and don't settle for anything less. Whatever work you put into studying is going to determine on what you become later in life. So remain humble and keep focus on what you are set out to achieve. Every human being can change the world. It just depends if you are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to change it and make an impact in it. Lastly don't ever stop being open-minded, if you want to be the best, then you have stay open-minded and take all criticism as a positive and benefit from all of it. Good, bad, or neutral, make sure you never stop growing as a person. You have high potential on becoming someone, now prove it".

I never like to "brag" for which I always remain to be humble. However, I tell my fellow peers and collegues that it is considered one of the best techinical schools that focus on engineering and designing. Which is my intended major and minor.

I am really appreciative that this school has given me the opportunity to enhance my chances of becoming successful. Therefore, I would not be frustrated one bit, but appreciative about attending my future school.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.