Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Lisa

Cal Poly Pomona is best known for their hands on learning style. For many people, the best way to learn is through experience and CPP gives you plen of experience in your field of study. There are many projects and internships that allow students to work and learn. They can gain experience while still learning and in my opinion, that is very important and the best kind of education out there.

With the knowledge that I gained over the years, the most important thing I would tell myself would be to make lots of friends in college. I would tell myself to try and be as sociable as possible because networking and having friends is very important in my social and academic life, especially having friends in the same major. High school did not prepare me for how difficult architecture actually was. It did not prepare me for the late nights of staying up, working on projects, or the constant stress in the major. I was not prepared to stay up night after night alone, working on projects and breaking down from the stress and loneliness. I wish I had known how important it would be to have a study buddy or to have someone help me when I needed it most. College is about making friends and creating experiences while pursuing your education. Knowing more people would have made a substantial difference for me. The only thing I regret would be that I did not put enough effort to meet and make new friends in the beginning, especially since I moved 120 miles away from home just to attend college.

I would not recommend this school to conservative students or students who prefer a large school population that focuses largely on research. Cal Poly Pomona is a very hands on school where many of the students learn by using these hands or doing. We are also very open to new ideas and new ways of trying something out.

Gerardo

Arabian horses that are raised on the campus. Cal Poly is also known for its "Learn by doing" policy which refers to hands on teaching techniques.

As a highschool freshman, I dreamed of going to college. Unfortunately as I worked my way through school, I graudally lost interest in college and focused my ambitions on becoming a rockstar instead. The rockstar life, although it was exciting for a while, never took me anywhere. I never made it big and I dropped out of college. After I got out of the Army, I started attending a community college and am now doing really well in school! My grades are excellent and my teachers respect me because I take college very seriously now. If only I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "Gerardo, go for it! You can get better at playing the guitar but don't lose sight of college. It is the only way to be successful in this society."

I wish that I had taken Physics ans Calculus before I came to this school.

KAYLA

If I could go back to high school I would tell my high school senior self to not sweat the small stuff. To enjoy life as a young adult more because once you get to college things are not as easy. Classes are harder and you are on your own left to figure out a way to pay for your college education. I would also tell myself that life gets better, life in high school does not define who you are and the mean kids that seemed to have it so easy are just normal people with the same problems as me.

I believe the most fustrating thing about my school is that if I want to change majors or switch classes it is extremly difficult. There are wait lists and the process can dely being able to graduate in four years.

Majority of my friends believe that cal states in california are not "good"schools but what I like to tell them is that I am going to one of the top Cal States that is only one of the two schools that is a polytechnic school and they teach us by doing instead of the reserch method.

Aivan

Aivan (that's me), you should have take more AP classes so you don't have to do the all the GE requirements in college now.

I don't like the shower in the dorm hall. They are too small for me.

Olivia

If I could go back in time, one of the first things I would advise my senior self, regarding college life, would be to not stress out so much. College life is easier than high school teachers and advisors make it out to be. In college, most professors only care about two or three tests that you take in the course, unless it is an English class, where most of the work is essays. There is hardly any assigned homework, but studying is important to maintain good grades. I believe it is also important to get involved. When I joined the track team on campus, it was then that I meet some of my best friends that I spend a lot of time with. Joining a club will make campus life fun and you will meet so many people. It may seem scary moving away, but it is one of the best experiences for me. Also, eating at the dining commons can be terrible at times, but remember that the farm store is an option for healthy food.

I consider the best thing about my school is the diversity. There are so many different people coming from all kinds of backgrounds, so most people are really open-minded towards one another. By meeting so many people, I was able to learn a lot about different cultures.

Before coming to Cal Poly Pomona, I wish I had known that the farm store accepted meal points. It was not until the end of the year that I found out that I could use meal points to buy food there. If I had know about it, I could have been eating healthier the whole year. At the farm store they have fruits, vegetables, and other healthy food that is grown by the agriculture department at school. I would have have prefered that over the junk food that they sold on campus.

Victor

"Never look back at life thinking you "should've", "could've", "would've", done anything. Be appreciative on what your parents have provided for you and actually adapt to the life you soon will end up living if you truly are given that opportunity to. Don't be lazy and slack off because it is your last year of high school and you think you already have it easy, make sure to finish above a 4.0 and don't settle for anything less. Whatever work you put into studying is going to determine on what you become later in life. So remain humble and keep focus on what you are set out to achieve. Every human being can change the world. It just depends if you are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to change it and make an impact in it. Lastly don't ever stop being open-minded, if you want to be the best, then you have stay open-minded and take all criticism as a positive and benefit from all of it. Good, bad, or neutral, make sure you never stop growing as a person. You have high potential on becoming someone, now prove it".

I never like to "brag" for which I always remain to be humble. However, I tell my fellow peers and collegues that it is considered one of the best techinical schools that focus on engineering and designing. Which is my intended major and minor.

I am really appreciative that this school has given me the opportunity to enhance my chances of becoming successful. Therefore, I would not be frustrated one bit, but appreciative about attending my future school.

Mark

I was born with clubbed thumbs. My thumbs look like a ping pong paddle, short and round compared to normal thumbs. Throughout high school, my biggest fear was people's opinion about my stubby thumbs. Even though almost nobody actually looked at my thumbs, their opinion had a huge affect on me. Over my first two years of college, I have learned that my thumb shape is the least of my worries. By playing collegiate baseball, and working in the tutorial center, I have gained self confindence in my abilities on and off the baseball field that surpass anyone else's opinion of my thumbs. I would tell my high school self to take that self confidence and thoroughly apply it to my dreams. I would absorb knowledge like a sponge just because learning is one of the most powerful tools we possess. Finally, I would tell myself to take nothing for granted, and to try to becoe a better person everyday.

Primrose

One important aspect I faiedl to realize back in high school is that the world is so much bigger than I thought. I would tell my former self to get out there more, and discover life. I would tell myself to not be shy, to meet new people, travel, learn about the many different cultures, and to explore the world. I would tell myself to not worry about what others think, and to always be yourself, do what makes you truly happy. I would also tell myself to stay close to God, pray always, study the scriptures and be kind to all people you come across. We all have different lives and experiences which in turn helps us to be special and unique, what I would tell myself is completely different from what others would them themselves. In my life, I was always shy and timid. Being in college has helped me to open up and be myself. This is something I wish I knew earlier in life. I wish I could have done more things, and been involved in more school activities and dances. Now that I know these things, I plan on taking advantage.

Carly

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself I can think of many things to say. I would remind myself to enjoy life, and not let the stressful things get to me or let them affect my mood. I would tell myself to be openminded as well as try to not be afraid of the future. I would also tell myself to enjoy the friendships I made in high school, because sadly they won't last forever. One piece of information I would like to tell myself is to continue to be a hardworking individual that does not believe in giving up. On your darkest day, remember that the sun will rise tomorrow. Try to think about the big picture when you are upset: will this situation matter ten hours from now, what about two days from now. If the answer is no, try to take a deep breath and let it go. The biggest piece of advice I would give to my younger self would be to love. Don't be afraid to love and be passionate about things. And always remember that everything happens for a reason.

Cal Poly is a school that is accepting of all different cultures and beliefs. With that being said, the type of person that should not attend this school would be someone who is unmotivated. This schools gives such great opportunities it really would be a shame for someone to pay tuition, and go to class, to not participate or want to be there.

When I talk about Cal Poly to friends I tell them what an amazing campus it is. Not only is the campus beautiful, but you really feel at home when you are there. Although it is a very large school, you make great connections with people that have your same major. The professors in your major are more than willing to help you and are there if you have any questions. I had such a wonderful experience and have been blessed at Cal Poly, I can only wish my friends can have an experience like mine.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.