Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State Polytechnic University-Pomona

Daniel

The campus is very beautiful, but it is very hard to the get classes you need to graduate in a timely manner.

I substitute for high school frequently, and I am always telling students I wish someone like me was advising me at their age. I would first start by telling myself to studied more with less procrastination. I would also tell myself not to let my relationships take priority over my schooling. However keeping im mind that the right girl will only motivate my study habbits, not hinder them as she would be considerate of the educational goals that I have set for myself. As soon as you transfer to Cal Poly start taking a variety of classes that include dance, philosophy and physical education. Those classes not only help you build confidence, but they will help you make friends and enhance study skills. Don't get caught up trying to hang out with people. Focus on your studies. Don't just chase the Bachlor's in pre-veterinary medicine, but go after the doctorate degree in veterinary medicine. Go to the different veterinary schools and find their prerequisites, because without those you won't get in to those schools. Don't lose focus, stay motivated, learn to roll with the punches and never give up on your dreams.

The only kind of person that I wouldn't recommend attending Cal Poly Pomona, is the kind of student that works full time and is hoping to attain their degree in four years. The competition to get into the necessary classes is already high amoung second and third year students. The competition makes for classes to be offered only at specific times, which would mean the students schedule would be constantly changing. The only way to get a degree in four years at this school is to sign a four year pledge, and keep the grades to remain in it.

Aaron

One of the most important things I would tell my high school self is to learn to love learning! Ultimately, all knowledge is interesting, so do not get complacent or lazy in the mundane classes. You have every potential to be excellent, so jump at it and be just that! I would also tell myself to worry a bit less about girls, and really take the time to find myself first. Figure out what you really want to do with your life before you spend a couple years in college to figure it out. That way, you will not spend time bored to death in classes you are not really interested in, with little motivation for both school and the future. One final thing I would emphasize to myself is to procrastinating. You are definitely better than that. Do not settle for mediocre any longer. Impress yourself, impress your instructors, and prove to your family that you are worthwhile, because you most certainly are. You have been through a lot in life, so do not let your old habits carry over to college, and do not let them drag you down. Good luck, and be amazing. You can do it!

My school is most known for its practical teaching. It provides a more technical experience as opposed to research based. Therefore, there are rarely any long term papers. We tend to do much discussion based education, not the typical lecture. Also, I would like to say that the semi-isolated atmosphere of the campus is one of the better parts. It allows you to become much closer to people and it is a pleasant environment to study in. This pleasant environment is mainly due to ecological friendly practices and the luxurious amounts of green space everywhere.

As a high school senior, I was constantly worried about what school was best for me and whether my decision to go into architecture was the right choice. While in my fourth year of school, I feel that I haven't made much of my college experience. My particular major is very demanding with torturous all-nighters and dead-lines coming all too soon. With all this, I didn't have much of a social connectedness with the main campus. While the general education classes allow for interaction with other people, I generally remained quite unsocial. This however doesn't make me regret my choice though. Finding what you love to do is the best even if I know I might not be able to get a job because of the current market. I would tell past self though that I should become more involved with the activities in school. This could include living on-campus and joining various clubs and a sorority. Honestly, going to college isn't just about gaining that paper that says you have a degree. It is about yearning for what you love and being able to share your experiences with those around you.

People who like a crowded atmosphere with numerous amounts of people everywhere shouldn't attend this school. The school actually owns many acres of land, but it is centrally located in a small cluster of buildings. The rest of the land is occupied by agriculture animals and greenery. While there are a few fun activities on Tuesday and Thursday, you can't really feel like you are involved in the school unless you join a fraternity/sorority or an extra-curricular club. Once you do, you will have a fun time.

Tracy

I would tell myself to take my time and attend every day of high school. Try to listen to the teachers advice because it could be crucial to you years to come. And to try your best with everything you try and do.

Anastoria

I enter college next month but what I do know is that as a high school senior, I was a great student. During my first three years of high school, I did not study. I was really hard on myself. I felt like i'd never finish high school. i wish that I had listened to my mom in the beginning. She told me to study, she also told me that I should stay after for help. Getting things together at the last minute was hard and I do say thatg my senior year of high school was difficult and emotional. Before my senior year of high school, I made a move from East Hartford, CT to Atlanta, Georgia. I was not aware of the curriculum chage and culture shock. In georgia, in order to graduate you have to take a four section test .I took the test twice because the first time, I didn't do well. The 2nd time, I studied and stayed after school for hours. I was told 3 weeks short of graduation that I would not graduate with my friends because of failing the test. I was sent to a private school and graduated there.

Jasmine

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to excel further in my studies. In high school many public high schools do not prepare you for SAT or college level work. Public high schools can only do what they can with the resources they have. I would tell myself that just because I have an 85 GPA on my transcript it really means that colleges are looking at it as a 2.5 GPA out of a maximum of a 4.0 GPA. I wouldn’t be near an average GPA so I would definitely need to take advantage of the honor classes that my high school offered. In college, professors do not accept mediocre writing. There is a standard college level writing that must be followed. I found this out the hard way when I had no choice but attend a community college. In community college I had to take a placement exam that placed me in Basic English. This Basic English class taught me that I had a long way to go before I could even major in journalism. This is the advice you need.

My classmates are excited, unique, determined and inspiring.

My classmates are excited, unique, determined and inspiring.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in high school and give myself advice on what it really takes to be an outstanding college student the main areas that I would focus on would be patience, confidence, persistence and determination. I would stress to be patient with myself when trying to discover what it truly is that I want to build a career out of. The suggestion would be to start by taking general classes towards an AA that could then later transfer into something more in depth, and while doing so to make sure and research the areas and fields of interest and job shadow those of importance. The main point would be that no matter what decisions I make or what I decide to do that I do it with confidence. That no matter what happens to never give up on myself, to be determined to turn my dream into a reality, to do whatever it takes to fulfill my vision, and to use persistence to get through the times in which I will struggle. If I am patient, confident, persistent, and determined regardless of where I end up, all will be well.

I talk about how accredited this college is and how lucky I am to be accepted into this program. The fact that the program I am in has a mandatory internship where the school places you with one of the major music lables in L.A. was the main reason I applied for this schol and the percentage rate of students that get hired on through the internship is very high. It also offers over 200 clubs you can join to keep you engaged and excited. There is also free healthcare and counseling that we recieve as students.

Jesse

Cal Poly Pomona provides great education, experience, and fun in learning with open oppurtunities to expand with jobs, internships and networking.

Classmates have been helpful and understand we are all trying to accomplish similar goals so there have not been any issues with me personally.

I would had prepared myself the summer prior either in taking a class or understanding what I wanted to do in my career. My first year I wasn’t too sure what I wanted to do therefore there were some courses I took that I didn’t need which backs you up at the end. Since I was working during my college career I should had worked less hours and focused on school. As a senior I have been able to raise my GPA and do better in the classroom but the first couple of years were a struggle. Since I needed to work in order to pay for school I should had applied for more scholarships even though it’s discouraging when people apply and don’t get chosen as well as being time consuming. I don’t regret attending Cal Poly because I have networked and met many great friends who have helped me as well as my involvement in a few clubs. That being said I should had attended a community college first so I wouldn’t have to struggle with money while I would still be able to take classes toward a degree and transfer after.

California State Polytechnic University-Pomona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.