Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

Eric

Dartmouth is the best. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else. The campus is beautiful and the professors are extremely accessible during office hours. Classes are very small so you get to experience very engaging classes. Hanover itself is a small town and there is very little to do, but you can find many things to do on campus through clubs or just with friends. I myself am from Los Angeles and I thought I would hate being in a small town, but I love it.

Courses at Dartmouth are challenging but very doable if you are willing to put the time into your work. Professors are very accessible so you can always see them during their individual office hours. One thing I dont like personally is how much you have to participate. I was never big on participating in class so it was a little uncomfortable for me at first. Students here don't seem to be ambitious or competitive, but they are. You'll see kids going out and getting drunk many nights and they will be the ones pulling off straight A's somehow. It's actually pretty impressive.

The fraternity scene is a large part of the Dartmouth social scene and there is a lot of drinking. Pong is not just a game, it is a culture, a way of life. However, there is no one who will force you to drink.

Michelle

There is a place for everyone at Dartmouth, and that includes both some of the greatest people I've ever known and a lot of corporate tools who are more interested in their resumes than anything that goes on in class. There are a number of incredible professors here, who are really dedicated to teaching, above all else, and sharing their passions with their students, but there are also a few lackluster ones. The fraternity scene tends to dominate social life if you let it (and a lot of people do). There's a lot of amazing stuff going on at Dartmouth, including some incredibly helpful resources, but to find them, you will have to seek them out. I have undergone immense personal growth and fulfillment while here, and I can't imagine having gone to any other school, but what I will remember about this school are the wonderful individual relationships I formed- I have no love for the institution. Many people love everything about the school when they first arrive, but find themselves growing dissatisfied with aspects of Dartmouth as they find out more. The problem with this is that a lot of people on campus are pretending to be happier and more self-reliant than they really are. People are scared to ask for help, because they're so used to doing well on their own, and people are afraid to be unhappy, because Dartmouth is supposed to be this wonderful community where everyone is supposed to be getting what they want out of the experience. And I have found wonderful communities within Dartmouth, but the important thing to know is that if you are unhappy, or struggling, or both, you are not alone, and you do have a niche here, but you do need to make the effort.

Jocelyn

Lots of extra money drains: like the dining plan (never use all the money that is allocated). Some party atmosphere, especially during weekends due in large part to greek societies.

Great, friendly colloaborative student atmosphere. Students have a multitude of opportunities to interact with professors one-on-one. Campus wide there are lots of different activities and student groups to get involved with based on interest. The campus and surrounding country is beautiful. Food in the dining hall isn't too bad.

Anneliesse

My classmates are driven, engaging, and relateable young adults, not very different from myself.

There is nothing in the world that compares to the spirit of Dartmouth college; no alumni dedication, no school spirit, no campus, and no lifestyle.

Since attending college, I have become a truer version of myself. All of my characteristic qualities - independence, sense of humor, athleticism, loyalty - have been augmented. I have found myself a new network of friends and mentors who are continually supportive, and to whome I strive to give my support faithfully. College has provided me with a sense of future security (especially this one) which has come so effortlessly that I have even taken it for granted. The value of college lies in the person I have become, and the person that a college degree allows me to be.

Rose

At Dartmouth, there is a sense of mutual community like no other. When I first step foot on campus, I was not too thrilled about the secluded location of the campus (the nearest city is 2 hours away!). However, after meeting new people, I find that it is exactly this kind of campus that builds strong community. Moreover, the students that attend Dartmouth are people similar to myself, and together we form a family away from home.

Many people do not realize it, but college is very vital to one's physical, mental, and spiritual growth. When I was going through high school, I thought I knew everything, and, being at the top of my class, I thought there was no need for me to work hard. However, college has humbled me in so many aspects. I was now with the best of the best. One third of my class were their high school's valedictorians, and nine out of ten were at least in their school's top ten percent. It opened up my eyes to a bigger world. I had been so naive and egocentric in thinking about my life that I did not realize that there were more significant problems than just test scores and prom dates. In college, I learned about discrimination and hunger and this need to right the wrongs. Everyone have made a significant change to the world one way or another. Only now do I realize my immaturity in high school, and how now I must utilize my maturity to address issues that will make a change in not only my life, but my community as well.

If you're edge-of-the-seat competitive, I would not recommend this school. Although Dartmouth is competitive, the community is so welcoming and friendly that there is no tension between classmates. In fact, people are willing to help one another to do better in class. Everyone is smart, but humbly so. If an extremely competitive person were to attend Dartmouth, he/she would not be able to enjoy this school in its entirety, and it would also ruin much of the environment for other people.

Mandy

I've gotten to come into my own as an adult on the other side of the country surrounded by people that I can both relate to and learn an incredible amount from. I've learned new skills like ice skating and rowing and have improved on others like general knowledge and Japanese. I've learned people are people no matter where they're from, and that we're all just trying to live our life.

The students. They're from everywhere with so many different interests and types of knowledge.

The cool classes we have, the entertainment, the free stuff I get, the incredible people I meet.

Nikkita

Dartmouth College allows for individuals that have not been exposed to various culture and ethnice groups to be exposed, however, it does not and frankly cannot force the students to grow and become more openminded from those interactions, if they interact at all.

Dartmouth College has provided me with the opportunity to interact with individuals from different economic, socially and politically backgrounds who I would not have interacted with if I stayed in New York City. I have learned how to be creative in that I am able to create social experiences for myself that are not the mainstream scene of going out to fraternities and sororities and getting drunk. It means more to me than anything that I am forced to take responsible for my own actions and not be able to rely on an adult fighting for me. It is a valuable experience for me to attend Dartmouth College, because I am allowed to be in a place that encourages me to explore every possible aspect of life without the stresses that exists back in New York City. Being in the middle of no where gives me leverage over how I want to run my life and provides me with the proper tools to create myself.

The worst thing about my school is the empahsis on drinking. The culture of a school is what makes the school and tradition is vital to the sustainability of a school. However, when the health of students are put at risk because of the act of drinking and so forth then that should be an issue. Efforsts have been made in order to minimize the incidents of binge drinking as well as sexual assault that is also influenced by that.

Kelly

I think the best tool that will give anyone an idea of what Dartmouth is like is The Dartmouth: http://thedartmouth.com/ Although the News and Sports are obviously unbiased, the Opinion section, "The Mirror" Section, and the Comics section really represent the unique Dartmouth culture, be it receiving fifty blitzes about lost jackets or depicting the frat scene and rushing.

Pretty diverse although a lot of people DO come from prep/boarding schools. People take academics seriously, obviously, but it's not really that apparent outside of the library and the classroom.

I loved my professors my first quarter here. They were SOOO approachable and humble. And they created an environment where you felt comfortable asking questions and knowing that you wouldn't be condemned for being stupid. They would be understanding if I needed time to finish an assignment (probably only for freshmen). Basically the nicest people I've ever met.

"ragey" (they like to prty it up!) work hard, play hard. able to balance a million clubs with fratting and school

Judith

Confidence. Coming back to school as an adult was scary. I thought it would be difficult to keep up with the kids, and that I would struggle with classes. However, I had great instructors, and they were always very encouraging and willing to help their students. I graduated at the end of 2010 with high honors, and now I feel confident that I will do well at the university.

Attending Dartmouth has been an incredible experience, and words cannot express how much great things I have gotten out of this instituition. With that said, I most value Dartmouth allowing me to grow as an indivisual through travel. With Dartmouth's help, I have been able to travel to ten different countries, promoting youth educational programs in the global south. Through this experience, I have learned so much about myself, and what I want to accomplish with my life. Becuase of Dartmouth, I have learned the importance of become a global citizin, and that impacting lives in a smaller scale can be just as meaningful as impacting lives in a larger, more coporate scale. Dartmouth has really allowed me be proud of the projects and experiences I am participating in, and has also allowed me to, in all honesty, love myself for the first time in my life Without Dartmouth, I dont think Id be alive today. Dartmouth is an insitiution that has, in more than one way, saved my life.

The worst thing about Dartmouth is not having enough time to do everything that the college offers. There is so much to do here, and the college really spoils it student with a wide varety of activities.

Dartmouth is an institution that focuses on the undergraduates, and really wants us to suceed. I brag the most about that.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.