Oakdale, NY
Dowling College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dowling College

Karriemah

Dowling was a very small college and my time there was well spent. If you were looking for the large university experience, this wasn’t that type of place. The campus was small, but gorgeous and the surrounding area was quiet and charming. The school was alongside Connetquot River and you could often sit by the riverside and do your schoolwork. The professors knew who you were and it was easy to engage with them in the small classroom setting. After it closed, I was saddened to leave and transfer to another school. I really enjoyed the short stay I had at Dowling and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Miranda

Currently I am not attending college due to family problems that I am having. My parents are getting a divorce, my mother left town and lives with a new boyfriend, I am ending up getting kicked out of my home by my step-father and his girlfriend and having to find a place to live. I don't have any family or friends that I can stay with so I am on my own. I do plan on attending a community college for nursing next fall in East Peoria, IL and continuing on to the nursing program for OSF Saint Franicis Medical Center in Peoria, IL. Therefore, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could, attend college IMMEDIATELY, and be prepared to work extremely hard. I have two jobs and pay for all of my own bills. It isn't easy at all.

Cassy

I feel as though Dowling prides its self on being a personal college. Dowling College is a small private school. From experience, I would say the classroom sizes tend to rang from 10-20 students. The professors are very personable and are willing to help and accomodate thier students. I am very familiar with the psychology department and they have done a wonderful job in helping me in terms of advisement and answering any questions I may have. Dowling has lived up to its expectations as the personal college.

You're starting a new chapter in your life and try as you might you will never be fully prepared. Though you're a nervous wreck to leave home and be on your own, be excited. You're going to struggle at times and that's okay. No one expects you to be perfect. Freshmen year will be one of the toughest years of your life, but I promise as a senior you will look back on those times and laugh. I know you're in a hurry to grow up, but slow down. Time goes by too fast and these are the years you will cherish, so make sure to enjoy them. It won't always be easy and there will be times when you'll want to run home to mom. Trust not only in what mom and dad have taught you, but trust and believe in yourself. You can do this. College will test you, but you're much stronger than you know. At times it won't seem worth it , but you will leave college a strong, confident, and independent young lady. Your personal growth will amaze us all, and I've never been more proud.

I feel like students who attend Dowling college should not be expecting a large school experience. Dowling has small classroom sizes and I am not aware of the college having any sororities or fraternities. There are no lecture halls with hundreds of students presents. We deal with profressors rather than teaching assisstants. You know your professors on a personal level and attendance matters. When coming to Dowing, don't expect to be just a number. If you plan on blending on and skating by, Dowling is not the place for you. Instead, plan on taking an active role.

Werlhens

Its best kown for its diversity and having a whole bunch of people form different race hangout together.

I would have told my High School senior self to apply for more scholarhships and get out that horrible habit of procrastination. College is a completey different ball game. Everything is completey independent and there are no teachers babying students asking for assignments. You either do it or you dont. I also regret not getting sometype of scholarhsup for my first year in college. I regret it everyday but you live and learn. Experiences makes us become better people. We have to go throught the pain and struggle to actaully see for our own eye to see how things are like.

The wifi. the school wifi sucks and the fact that the school doesnt have a football program which really sucks.

John

At Dowling I believe that they are mostly know for is Business which is great because my Major is Business Management and Leadership. Most of the classes I have taken as of now are decently difficult. A a freshman who is beginning his Sophmore year in September of 2014, I have completed almost half of my required core classes and am planning on graduating a semester early since I have taken College level classes in High School. Overall I without a doubt a would recommend Dowling College for their bussiness program or any other program they do.

Throughout High School I was usually made fun of and or Bullied due to my weight. In High School I had very little friends and was not sure if I even wanted to attend a College however my parents helped motivate me to go. If I could go back in time to talk to my past self I would tell him that it would have been the worst decission of my life. Attending College has been a life changing moment for me. I go to a school where I can call dozens of students my good friends. I would help motivate my past self to not worry about all of the bad moments that I had to deal with in High School but to become ready for a new beginning. Iwould have also have told my past self in Freshman-Junior year to have done better grade wise. In High School I was a B to B+ student, now looking back I know if I put more effort in I know without a doubt I could have been an A student. Most of the kids who made fun of me are now college dropouts so I now laugh at them.

It is hard for me to say only one best thing about my school where there aare so many things i love about my school. First off Dowling has an unbelievable campus in Oakdale. The individuals that attend dowling are amazing. In high school Iwas a very quient kid but after attending Dowling College I am friends with at least half of the students that go there. It is not a big school which is great so you can meet everyone and the class sizes are equivilent to high school so the professors know you personally which I love.

Alyson

I'm not a, "would-a, could-a, should-a," person. This past year has changed that but only in ways that would better myself, of which are never too late to change. I wish I would have challenged myself more in high school; taken harder classes, worked longer hours, studied more for my SAT's and ACT's. I wish I would have explored my options for outside of Nevada. I wish I believed in myself enough to know that I was and am bigger than the small town I grew up in. I wish I would have taken more time to NOT sweat the little things, and never take them for granted, either. I wish I was able to spend more time with my father, who passed away of cancer a month ago, three days before we were suposed to take a family trip to see my oldest sister graduate from Tulane University. I wish I read more, learned more, experienced more. Now, I'm happy and able to get up every morning and work to pay for school, work to learn. I only wish I would have taken more time to believe in my own future.

Erin

The best thing at Dowling College is that the Professors are always willing to help you. Student life is involved with the coursework and you get appreciated by getting both good grades and participating in school clubs.

If I was able to go back in time to my high school self, I would have a lot of information to give. I would take my high school slef to a library and explain my actions. I would tell her to not give up art no matter what and to do your absolute best while in high school. I would also tell her to look up more scholarships and to join extracuricular activities id possible. Also, to do the best work in Wilson Technological Center.

The most frustrating thing about my school is most of the students themselves. Most of them probably shouldn't have attended college let alone graduated high school.

Catherine

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Our campus actually offered a "learn to dance" gandum style.... yah know that korean popstar? Well they actually also sent us a video of is as well haha. It was pretty fun to see how many people went out to do it, I couldn't make it unfortunately but it seemed like it was a lot of fun!!!

When you step off campus what do you see?

A lovely four-way intersection with crosswalks. You also see the tennis courts and the parking lots for students. The town is very well put together and the drivers aren't anything like taxi drivers in NYC.

The "Hogwarts Atmosphere" .. If you walk down furtunoff hall you literally feel like a character from Harry Potter. The outdoors are especially beautiful, seeing the Connetquot River right next to you and the artistic sculptures gives the nature feel.

Describe the dorms.

I do not reside at the dorms, but from what I've heard .. I noticed that there is a shuttle bus which takes the students to and from the dorms, which is a plus. And I see many people interacting with their dorm mates so the people residing there must be friendly.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors here show that they really care about our work ethics. I personally enjoy men vs female teaching techniques, only due to my personal opinions and experience. Overall, the professors keep the classes in line and seem to do an excellent job both as teaching to the entire class and one on one .. depending which professor you have.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose to attend Dowling College because those who I spoke with showed me how respectful, helping and trustworthy they were. I felt I was able to really connect with Dowling, due to the people and the fast and easy process it was to transfer. The campus is beautiful and the teachers are there to actually teach students and let the information really sink in.

Honestly, I do not dorm at this school. I would assume everyone has parties on the weekends, maybe some drinking, some smoking and so on. The athletic events are always spoken of, and even the teachers are supportive. If you want to know more, look towards a student who dorms, they will have more information for you. But, for some advice coming from a commuter .. just be yourself although it sounds cliche` and seriously focus on your school work before you go out partying .. you can save that for when your school work is done.

Honestly, I'm just the quiet girl who walks through the halls with headphones.. so I couldn't really give you a description about who hangs out with who. But I can say that there are many foreign students who walk past me in the halls, and I also have to say that I love every single one of them. To have the courage to come to another country to try and fit in with another culture is a very challenging and life changing event. My math tutor is from Brazil and she tells me all her stories and reasons for coming to this country.. I have to say, she's one of the strongest human beings I've ever met. So basically what I'm trying to get at is this - don't worry about who is going to be at this school, just know that you are capable of doing anything and everything, just think about it.

Coming in as a transfer and keeping to myself with my headphones, I mainly noticed the so called "jocks" - but when i say "jocks" I don't mean to frighten anyone to think about the stereotypical high school "jocks" - I usually observe many college students wearing sports clothing and their school team attire. I'm not quite sure if this is so accurate, but when you decide you're going to college, the stereotypes really shouldn't matter. College is here to help you set your career up, not figure out what click you want to join.

This school is a very small school, and as you continue through your major classes, you find that you are often learning with the same group of friends right up to graduation. The professors quickly learn your name, and are very willing to work with you. When I tell people that I go to this school, they usually are people from New York. They will ask "Oh, so you are going to be a teacher?" or "Aviation?" The school has an excellent reputation for education. Most of my time is spent doing club or student government activities on campus, ranging from River Day, to Performing Arts Night, to recreational sport events or typing an article for the paper. I also spend a lot of time in the computer lab doing homework or research for classes. There is no real "college town" at this school, but there is definitely a huge social life on campus. School pride has significantly increased with the turn of our new school president. Many students come wearing thier sweatshirts or sweatpants with the school logo on an everyday basis. The administration just underwent a change, but it is truly for the better. A new cafeteria has been put in place with much better food and much better food selection. The school is on the water, and it was originally a mansion, so it has an antique look to some of the older buildings.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Dowling has recently switched companies that serve in the cafeteria, and let me tell you it is ONE THOUSAND times better than the old company!!! They also now take credit and debit cards, which is VERY convienient! The improvements to the cafeteria are awsome!

We are on the water, we have an excellent education and aviation program, dual major programs, and the student government actually has cool activities!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No. There is a great enough student variety where you can make friends who drink as if they could swallow the whole ocean and you can make friends with people who would rather do just about anything!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Outside by the water, or in the library, which is going to be renovated for the 2012 fall semester. They are constructing a new student lounge and study center!

Tell us about your professors.

All professors at Dowling are great. The majority are doctors, and believe it or not, the professors here ACTUALLY help you!!!!

What are the most popular classes offered?

Most popular class is by far the senior seminar The Making of a Serial Killer. Education classes with Swanby fill up fast, and psychology classes with Silverman are always filled the instant registration starts!

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

College is the best time of your life! It is what you make it!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Since Dowling is a commuter school, for most students a phone call home is not needed. Do what you feel is right- if you want to talk to the ones back home, call them!

What do people really wear to class?

Students tend to dress in all different styles. Many students, both male and female, often wear Dowling sweatshirts and sweatpants.

What's the Greek scene like?

there are no sororities at Dowling. There is one franternity but most students have never heard of it. There are very few members.

Dowling is awsome! Do you want a school where it is easy to make friends? Do you want a school where you are a name and not a number? Do you want a school where professors actually talk to you outside of class? Do you want a school where the classes are not torture and there is something to do almost every day? Are you an education, aviation, business, or psychology major and want a great academic experience? Then Dowling is for you!

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Dowling has activities and events almost every single day. They have River Day, Performing Arts Night, academic lectures, and plenty of places to study or hang out with friends. At Dowling, you cannot walk from one class to the next without seeing a friend and stopping to talk before class starts. And once you get to class, you will easily find a friend to sit next to.

What's the dating scene like?

I met my boyfriend at Dowling and he was the best thing that ever happened to me. Whatever type of relationship you are looking for, you can find it at Dowling. Just about everyone finds someone special, or someone to have a little fun with. Since it is such a small school, it is really easy to meet new people, and make relationships.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

To someone who has never heard of Dowling, it is an excellent school for teachers, psychologists, and those who are interested in a career in aviation. It is on the water, and has a well-known rowing team. Dowling is a small school, and everyone is a name and not a number. It is a commuter school, but plenty of people stick around to get lunch together or go out after classes for the night life.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

One day on campus that I will never forget would be performing arts night, the first year that it ever happened. Enough said.

Describe the dorms.

Most students at Dowling are commuter students, including myself. I have heard that the dorms are good for the most part. They have a security guard that always makes sure only students can get in. They select students to be roomates based on major, atheletics, and overall interests. Students with the same majors are often roomed together, and friends can request to share a dorm by filling out a one-page form.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Dowling has no serious issues that have been made public since the new administration has been put in place. Now that the food problem has been fixed, there is really no hot-button issue on campus. One controversy was the removal of some of Dowling's aviation programs. Not all of the aviation programs have been removed, but there are some that were taken out.

People think that students at Dowling are rich and that mommy and daddy paid for thier ride to the college. That is not true and I am living proof! I got an academic scholarship and I have worked out paying for some of the classes without any help or aid at all. People think that Dowling students are stuck up. This is also not true for most students. Most Dowling students are friendly people just going for thier degree and enjoying themselves while they take the path to get there.

The best campus tradition in my opinion is Performing Arts Night. It includes everything and everyone and is a HUGE celebration every year! There is karyoke, poetry readings, live music, and much more. Everyone attends and every year it gets better and better! It was started only two years ago and was created by a Dowling Alumni who always loved having a good time, and his dream lives on in the event! We also have the annual Winter Ball, which is a formal dance to end the fall semester, as well as a Spring Cotillion to end the year and send graduates on thier way.

What do students complain about most?

There are three things that I hear Dowling students complain about the most: 1. The walk from the student parking lot to the buildings. 2. The cost of the school and dealing with financial aid. 3. The registrar. You should always go to student services, and never use the registrar when it comes to making classes. There are few complaints about the professors (although there is at least one professor in any given dept. that a group of people may not like.)

Describe a typical weekend.

Dowling is primarily a commuter school, and does not offer too much activity for the weekends. There are trips that students can pay for to go on (and the tickets are very well priced compared to buying tickets online on your own). You can get tickets to the Bronx Zoo or broadway plays or art museums in New York City. Dowling covers the transportation there and back, and for the most part, you can do whatever you want once you get to the destination. Dowling offers workshops in Autism, and also different workshops required for education majors on Sundays. Dowling also provides fingerprinting to anyone who needs it. They are not offered every single Sunday, and once they are taken one time, they are good forever and you do not have to take it again. Workshops can range from $25 to $50 in cost.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus, you usually end up going to your car becuase many students at Dowling are commuter students. You can also step into Connectquot River, which leads to the Great South Bay, Bayard Cutting Arboretum, and Fire Island. Some biology classes at Dowling, such as Botany, will involve class field trips to the arboretum and other classes (such as many marine biology classes and invertebrates) allow students to go on boats in the local waters to collect specimens and obtain hands on experience in a marine biology field. Some professors have been published several times and has won awards for his work in marine biology. A student can also go to 7/11, Dave n Busters, local resturants such as Oacanee Diner or the Japanese resturant across from Valero. Since Dowling is primarily a commuter school, dorm students must rely on other forms of transportation to get to local social hotspots.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I choose Dowling becuase it is the only school in New York that allows for a dual major. (believe me when I tell you I looked at every single school! and that includes SUNY schools). I am majoring in biology and special education. Dowling also offers scholarships for academics, not just sports. This really helped me pay for my degree. Dowling is one of the top teaching schools in the country. More Dowling students get jobs than any other school. There is a much friendlier and helpful environment at Dowling than at other schools I had visited that treated me as "just another freshman."

Every freshman should make sure that they know EXACTLY what classes that they need to take, and should not depend on ANYONE else to help them. A sheet that tells them all of thier classes can be picked up at student services. Talk to your professors. It will make a difference in the end. Do not buy books from the bookstore. Get them online. (every college bookstore is expensive) Go to the events. There is always something fun happening. (or free food!)

A lot of people think that Dowling students are stuck up and rich or wealthy becuase they go to private school. This is absolutely not true. I am not a millionare. I do not have money to burn away in my fireplace for fun. Many of my friends do not have that either. Anywhere you go, there will be those one or two people who are stuck up, but at Dowling, this is not that big of a problem. It is easy to make good, better friends at Dowling.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports at Dowling are almost non-existant, but there are sports programs. Dowling College has a rowing team that is highly prestigous. However, there is no football team at Dowling. Dowling has a soccer team that travels and plays games against other Long Island colleges and universities. The soccer coach is a really nice man who also teaches at the college. There is also lacrosse, tennis, track, and baseball at Dowling. Dowling has a gym in which students can work out whenever they please, as long as they present thier student ID. The gym is small, and is least crowded during the day. The rules of the gym are generally the same as any other gym, but sometimes students forget to wipe down the machines. Dowling is not a school for sports, unless you want to join the rowing team or the soccer team. My friend does tennis and she likes it, and they travel out of state.

Dowling College is a campus on the water and has a beautiful landscape. The Kramer Science Building is a part of the old Vanderbuilt mansion. The ballroom, the Hunt room, and the study are all either original wood and carving and sculpture from the mansion, or recently restored. All of these rooms are accessible to students. The study has real books, some of which contain old medical studies that may interest a medical student or science major looking into doing medical research or studies. There are also old reference books and history books on the shelves. Dowling has a courtyard with a massive fountain that is constantly flowing that gives a real regal look to that area of the school, and is a nice place to relax before the next class. The library is very quiet and has lots of tables set up so that students can study on thier own or together. Student artwork is on display throughout the library. Many of the images are compelling and beautiful at the same time. Visual arts students can see thier images around campus framed and there are several scupltures, including an outdoor stone sculpture in sign language that says "Love."

What are your classes like?

Today in class we talked about population growth in the world. "What do you think?" The professor asked us. Should we place limits on how often that people reproduce? What do you think about only having one child per family? The professor handed us back our tests today and almost every single student passed out of the 24-26 students enrolled. It is nice to be in a class where you not only pass, but most everyone gets a B or better on every test, becuase the professor does not try to trick you or put so many questions that your brain gives out and gives up. Most classes at Dowling are small. Upper level classes often have 23 students or less. Graduate level classes have 10 students or less. Core classes range from 20 to 30 students. A small class size has truly benefited me, because you can ask your professor for help and it will usually result in a better grade.

By far the most prominent group on campus is the student government association. It is all club presidents that run different activities on campus, including Science Exploration, Poetry, Art, Math, Drama, at least six different aviation groups, The Council for Exceptional Children, The Step Team, STAND, La Familia, the Gay/Straight Alliance, and many others. Atheletic events are not strongly emphasized on the campus. However, there is an annual Regatta which is the rowing team's homecoming. There are no fraternities or sororities on campus, but there has been one or two in the past. Parties among students are most often off campus, and the campus is dry, meaning no alcohol in the dorms or at events. There are events just about every day or night, and they vary so much that one can never do the same thing twice in a semester. I met my boyfriend on campus, and I have seen dozens of other friends who have made highly sucessful relationships on campus. In fact, one of my close friends married her boyfriend as soon as she graduated. My best relationship was the one that I made through Dowling, as in, we met on campus at an event, and we have been together ever since.

There is some hispanic and minority groups on campus that have events and that merge events with white groups on campus. Everyone at Dowling has a tendency to blend in, regardless of race. However, the latin community has a stronger emphasis on dance and music activities and often put on excellent performances in which both students and families can attend. Students who might feel out of place at Dowling would be football players and major atheletes. If you are an athelete looking for something less competitive and more laid back, then Dowling is a good college for you. If you are really into sports and want to compete in major games, then Dowling is not for you. Most students dress comfortably to class, and many students wear Dowling sweatshirts or sweatpants. The styles vary among the students. Many graduate students dress professionally. Student financial backgrounds at Dowling are all over the map, and you could be sitting next to somebody who almost lost thier house, or somebody who met Obama. You never know at Dowling.

The professors not only know your name, but they also work with you and if you ask for help or extra credit most professors will help you to work something out. My favorite classes are Biology because the professor is animated and you never know what to expect. I also enjoy the education classes, becuase the atmosphere is really friendly, and the professors really know what they are talking about. Class participation is common, depending on the class, but all professors tend to encourage participation. Philosophy and Psychology classes are almost entirely discussion based, and students are free to express thier strongest opinions (besides, it makes class interesting!). Students at Dowling are not competitive against each other, but do compete well against other schools when looking for jobs, particularly in the education field. I have spent time with professors out of class, learning research or just talking in passing. The academic requirements at Dowling are fairly standard, and similar to other schools. Dowling is highly geared to getting students jobs, and has a career services center where students can obtain paid or non-paid internships, as well as research work studies.

• $0

Dowling College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.