Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

Traveling back in time to my senior year of high school, I would really whip myself in shape for this college life. Although going back to senior year wouldn’t help me as much, knowing the person I was then. Going back to freshman year would help a lot. But if I could advise myself though my senior year, I know I would be finished college now, working on my masters, and have a good scholarship. I would advise myself not to invest so much time into work because that was my downfall. Without a lot of work I would have had more time to put together a plan. Sometimes I even put work before school, which left me little time to search for scholarships. Without a good scholarship I was left no option but community college even though I preferred a university. I’d advise myself to go at a pace for my life style and be more confident in my decisions. At the end of the day, my high school teachers and advisors taught me everything I was going to need in order to be well accomplished, but it was my procrastinating that’s has me here.

Thea, check it out! I have a time a machine! I knew you would love that. I’m here to give you some important advice. I know, you’re me, and you probably won’t take it, but there will be decisions you have to make soon. What to major in. Where to live. What to wear. Whether to date your roommate or not. How much time to spend working instead of going to class. The list is long but my time here is short, so I have a single principle for you, to remember when you’re faced with any choice, that will build your confidence, reputation, enthusiasm for life, general likeability, and, choice by choice, your ultimate success: ask Nine-Year-Old Thea. You knew who you were and what you wanted when you were that bug-poking, T-Rex-tee-shirt-wearing, rock-carving, wheelie-popping explorer. If you’re ever in doubt about anything (and you will be, all the time, for years), find a tree, touch the bark, listen to the leaves, close your eyes, and ask Nine-Year-Old Thea what she wants. Never forget that you’re the guardian of her dreams.

Finding the right college is all about you: what you want out of life, and how likely it is that that will change. Many people go into college not knowing exactly what they want to do, or not feeling certain about their decision. This is why it is important to consider what you might do if your chosen major doesn't work out: will you transfer, will you change majors, or will you drop out altogether? I believe it is very important to be able to test out what you will likely be doing when you start working. Choosing a school with a strong internship program is a very good idea since you can figure out whether or not you really want to continue with the major BEFORE it's too late. One thing I found is that life's no fun if all you can ever do is stress about classes and grades and never have time for a break. Getting into a fantastic school is great, but do you really want to overburden yourself to the point where you can't go to school anymore? Be reasonable about your abilities and choose a school you can enjoy.

I would say to really think about what effect this decision will have on your future, and to take it very seriously. I wish I had learned more about my school and really been more focused on my decision. Think about how your life will be at this school and even make a pros and cons list. Listen to what the students at this school are saying about it because they are living it and they have the experience. Keep a folder with information from all the schools you visit and look into and when it comes to making a decision think about what aspects are most valuable to you. Whether it be sports, academics, social life, finances or anything else. It's hard to realize how big of a decision choosing a college really is when you are in high school but once you get to college you may have made the wrong choice. That's why i think it's important to be focused on this decision and take it very seriously. I wish I had thought more about my decision and listened to myself and my instincts. In the end you want to be happy at school.

I would tell myself to live life to the fullest and enjoy this time of freedom as much as possible. That is very similar to what I tell myself every day, except for the fact that I have a little bit less time to myself these days. I would have told myself to be a little less stressed back then, because everything is going to work out fine in the end. That's also something I need to constantly remind myself these days, but I'm figuring things out more and more each day and growing to learn that I'm in control of my own success and happiness. I would tell myself not to stress too much and to enjoy the ride. Transitioning into the college lifestyle may not have been a walk in the park, but there is no one key piece of information that I would have given myself. Any mistakes I've made during the transition period were made for a reason; to learn from them! In fact, I strongly believe the common saying Heraclitus once said, "Nothing is constant but change." So I still need to remind myself that it's ok to make mistakes.

First and foremost the student should know what field of study they want to enter, so that they can look at college that are current and knowledgeable in that area of study. Then the student must ask if him/herself how commited they are to their academic studies. I have seen some many people here at Drexel University waste ten of thousands of dollars of either their or their parent's money just because they rather party and drink instead of doing the necessary work to get good or just even passing grades. So if the student is commited then I would enroll yourself into the best school possible no matter how expensive becasue if you are dedicated to learning and staying on track; you can hopefully always find a way to pay for it. You just have to use every resource possible you can and do some study on how loans and financial aid works. To sum everything up, if you want to do well and attend a good college that will get you where you want to go in life, just keep studing and commited to making your life better.

I would give my 'high school senior' self three pieces of advise: 1. Don't be afraid to ask. Everyone here is as human as you are. The worst thing someone can tell you is 'No'. Let any other comments slide off of your shoulders. Don't be afraid to ask more than one person. Apparently, you'll get different responces from different people in each department. 2. If you don't have any friends, it's not the end of the world. You aren't evaluated on how many friends you have, you are evaluated on your personality and skills. That's all what matters in the future. Always be nice and be the bigger person. As long as you're doing what's right, the rewards will definitely come in the future. 3. Don't be afraid to explore other options out there. Life isn't cut and dry. Once you're in college, you are suppose to take control of your life. If you want to go explore a career path, then go do it. College is a place of exploring and trying new things. Life isn't a narrow road, its a path of endless oppurtunities.

If I could start my college career over again, I would have pursued a nursing degree after graduating high school. As a freshman in college you are unsure about what area of study you want to concentrate on. I knew that if I did not attend college, my parents would have been disappointed. So here I am today, pursing a second bachelor's degree in nursing because my first degree in business management and marketing has not given me much opportunities. Working in a hospital setting for five years has shown me how much job security nursing has. I've always been interested in how the human body functions and I'm great at comforting others, so I know that I'll be a fantastic nurse some day. I want to help educate patients on taking preventative measures to a live a healthier lifestyle. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and join in on the on-going development of raising awareness on health issues. I have a kind heart and a courageous spirit and I want to change lives and impact the health-care world llike never before!

If I could go back in time to give my high school self advice about college life, I would tell my teen self to hang onto the excited feeling that motivates and inspires me, and to let go of the fear of failure that holds me back. The greatest thing about college life is the feeling that we are all in it together. Fellow students are willing to work together with you and most professors really want you to be excited to learn and to get the most out of their class that you can. Fear is the one thing that holds many of us back from stepping out of our comfort zone and taking a risk. I have found that the risk is minimal and the reward is tremendous when it comes to taking college classes. The feeling of belonging that I have experienced is something I could never have guessed before I began. Support and encouragement are the most abundant resources from both fellow students and professors. So, I would tell myself to take a deep breath and jump into the unknown because the rewards are almost immeasurable.

Pick a major that you love. There is nothing worse than going to school for something that you know is not your passion. I took a semester off from Drexel and went to a local University to try and save some money and had a terrible experience. I knew from that point on that I had to be here at Drexel, even though its hard for me to afford. If you don't know exactly what you want to major in, pick a school in a place that you like, with students that you feel you have things in common with. There is nothing worse that going to a school in a setting that you hate with kids that you find completely disinteresting. Its really all about finding what makes you happy. I learned that the hard way, so you should really keep it in mind. Find somewhere you feel like you belong. Go visit as many schools as you can, go to open houses, if they have summer programs you find interesting participate in those too. Just go somewhere that makes you happy, and learn to do what you want to do for the rest of your life.