Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

In order to find the right college, students must remain open to multiple possibilities. I would encourage prospective students to know what they desire in an institution of higher learning and then visit the universities in which they are interested. Commonly, students will realize during these visits whether the school fits their needs. By interacting with the current students and professors, prospective students gain insight into the personality of the school and the standards of academic coursework. Additionally, prospective students should research the success of the school?s alumni in their careers and determine if those results are appealing in relation to their own future work. Most college students who use the resources the school offers, take their studies seriously, invest in their health and well-being, and cultivate social relationships will consider their college experience a success. Excellent time-management is a necessary skill in the fast-paced life of a student. By recognizing their own learning styles and forming good study habits, students will use their time in school more efficiently than those who fail to do so. Ultimately, to make the most of their experience, college students should prepare for the future but live in the present.

As a student, you may feel overwhelmed about the college decision process, trying to balance your own personal interests with parents' practicality. Weighing all of the options sometimes seems to cause more stress than discovery, especially when comparing tuition costs, location, and academic programs of several excellent schools. Collaborate with your parents to create a list of the top three factors that you are looking for in a college and rank all of the possible choices. Do research, visit campuses, and ask current students what they like and dislike about their experiences! If finances are a limiting factor in the decision process, apply for scholarships and grants, but understand that you may need to compromise with your parents if they are paying for college and only have a certain budget. It is important to remember that no college decision is permanent, so don't worry about making the wrong decision. Look for ways to get involved on your campus through dorm life, clubs, athletics, etc. Even if it may seem uncomfortable at first, be proactive by making friends and participating in events! Lastly, you are in college to get an education, so study and take advantage of learning opportunities!

The most appropriate motivation to undergo a college experience, particularly in an economic climate as dire as the current one, is to determine the most appropriate career for the attendant during the delicately formative years of young adulthood. When I was approaching my high school graduation, I felt very confused about my options. Though I had several wide interests, none of them felt particularly significant enough to start an entirely successful career after the pageantry of graduation was finally settled. Despite a lifelong skepticism towards college, I decided to enroll myself into community college and get a feel for the experience and see what benefits I could reap. Two rapid years later, on the threshold of entering a full university, I found myself with, if not a concrete plan, at least far more of an idea of what to pursue now than I did as a high school student. College was where I finally found myself within the mutual respect of adulthood, including professors that were extremely thought provoking and a newfound personal maturity. During this time, I have become a far more critical thinker and far more diligent in my creativity. I have gained motivation that was previously absent.

Preparation for college is extremely important. It has the ability to be a life changing experience and can potentially leave you with the greatest, valued memories. If I was able to travel back in time and talk to myself, as a high school student, I would share with myself that goal setting, picking the right classes, joining clubs/activities, being responsible, holding yourself accountable, and educating yourself outside of classroom; as important things to consider before departing to college. I would encourage myself to eliminated relationships that may cause hinderances in your educational experience. In addition, I would encourage learning about taxes, loans, mortgages, credit, and investments to make sure you have a generall knowlege about these subjects. CLEP and Dantes exams are great ways to save money for college courses that may be required, therefore, I would encourage myself to utilize these sources. Joing clubs and participating in college activities are great ways to meet friends and network. This also allows something that can be highlighted on a resume or future college applications. I would tell myself to just relax and be proactive about the goals I want to achieve.

My college experience was invaluable to my life-long success. The professors and staff presented me with a plethora of opportunities that helped me discover the areas in which I excel and my unique strengths. Coming to college, I did not have a good understanding of my natural abilities or what I wanted to study. Through the residential life staff and professors, I found an area about which I realized I was inherently passionate, Social Work. Through the Social Work Program at Evangel, my eyes were opened to all the areas in which I could serve people, and the education thoroughly prepared me for real-life professional work. The professors developed mentoring relationships with me and have continually helped me succeed. In addition to the excellent education and level of self-awareness I achieved, I was connected with friendships that will last a life-time. These friendships will not only provide continual strength and camaraderie, but they will assist me in the future as I have connections with successful Evangel Alumni across the nation and world. The opportunities to develop my personal strengths, academic abilities, and social network will help me to be successful in my life pursuits.

I highly reccomend a liberal arts education because it gives you a wide wariety of educational and practical life experiences while you grow into mature adulthood. So often, high school juniors and seniors enter a specific field of study thinking they know what they want, but as you grow and change during these formative years, you learn more about the world and more about yourself and your attitudes toward certain things change. I entered college thinking I knew exactly what I wanted, but I ended up changing my major twice (my previous majors later became my minors). As a college senior, my advice to students anticipating college is to first, take time to learn more about yourself and what you like to do and what you are good at. Take advantage of your Guidance Counselor by taking career and personality tests to discover your strengths. When you enroll in college courses, even if you think you know exactly what field you want to study, take some random classes that interest you and get involved in various extra-cirricular activities that provide you with opportunities to network with like minds. Trust me - you'll need the support!

When it comes to finding the right college, it takes time. Most students don't automatically know where they would like to spend their next four years. Researching a wide variety is always a good idea. Also, students (and their parents) should make a list of things they are looking for in a college. Some of the big issues that should be considered include size, location, and cost. Size will make a huge difference when it comes to classes, sports, and activities. A school with a large student body will have greater diversity and a wider variety of activities. However, a smaller school will allow for more interactive classes. Location is important, not only because it dictates how often a student can visit home, but also for the jobs and entertainment it provides. A student raised in a big city probably wouldn't be satisfied in a smalltown college. And finally, cost is an issue nearly every student and parent must address. What financial aid is offered? This can often be the deciding factor and shouldn't be overlooked. Overall, a student should pick the school where they feel they will be most comfortable and most successful.

When choosing a college, don't put all of your focus in one area, i.e., academics or scholarship opportunities. College is more than an education; it's an experience. In the same way, don't forget that you are indeed paying for an education and you must apply yourself to make those expenses pay off. Look for a school that has decent resources in your field of interest - they don't have to be the best of the best but you should definitely visit the campus and see for yourself what's available. If you aren't sure what you want to study, look for a school that has multiple opportunities to get involved. Being involved with activities going on at your school will reveal what your true interests are, as well as introduce you to people who appreciate the same things you do. Whether it's musical ensembles or intramural sports, choosing to be involved will give you lifelong friends that may end up in your workplace - or wedding party! Finally, make it your goal to score an internship or study abroad before you graduate - both are invaluable opportunities that you will greatly appreciate and absolutely not regret.

Moving back to America from a full seven years of life lived as a missionary kid in Thailand will be a big leep. But don't let that keep you from branching out. Be braver than you are. Remember to smile, and to speak more often--to speak truth, life, grace, forgiveness, strength, power, and most of all love. Let your emotions show and welcome people into your heart. Share your heart and your thoughts, because they are deep, and they are solid and full. Remember your past-- your heartaches, your darkness, your deliverance, and your joy. Remember who you are-- quiet and strong, responsible and loyal. Remember what you're here for-- a medium bringing truth, love, relationship, and freedom from above to those before you. And despite what the world says, be careful about placing too much trust in your own heart. Instead, trust His words, the Spirit, and His guidance. live with Him always. Never let a mind of rationalization eclipse a heart of reconciliation, or you will never have peace. Last of all, always remember that when YOU change-- everything changes. So, Be the man you desire-- and go further.

The transition from high school to college is one of the most difficult and exciting transitions of your life. You'll be delighted, social, overloaded, home-sick, driven, terrified, eager, nervous, involved, exhausted, and overwhelmed all in your first few months of your college experience. There will be days where you feel like you're living the dream and other days where you're scared and ready to pack your bags and head home. My advice would be to always keep your priorities in line. When you're feeling like you're ready to give up, remember why you're there. You're learning so that you can one day go out into the world and make a difference. Never let feelings of inadequacy and fear hold you back. You are fully capapble of succeeding, and you will thrive. You'll make friendships of a lifetime, and you'll learn more about life, the world, and yourself than you ever thought possible. Always keep your eyes on God, and remember that you are smarter and stronger than you think. Don't be afraid of change or new experiences. Be adventurous, work harder than you ever have, and conquer this challenge.