Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

While in highschool I didn't know were to go, there were many opportunities offered and very expectations. When I decided how to choose the perfect college/university wasn't easy , but as a believer I knew that God had a place for. It took me several weeks of prayer to choose the right university for . The one were I knew God wanted me in and more than likely a University that would give me a future that I saw myself into. My best advice to parents and students is that no matter what institution they decide to go but what makes the difference is how much are you going to give. Because it can be the best University but if they come with a mentality of non achievers then it will be a loose of time. Always give your best no matter what.

My college experience for the past year and a half has been life changing. I am surrounded by energetic and loving students as well as professors that truly care about you. Not only do the professors care about you as an individual, but they also challenge you to become your best. The faculty at Evangel University strives to support the students in any way they can. They encourage students to follow God's plan for your life and to become the best person you can be. There are many different ways you can get involved on campus, so it is hard not to find friends. I have learned to challenge myself and dig deeper into my faith. Evangel has challenged me to not be comfortable with where I am at, but to strive for more in my life.

If I could go back to my senior year, I would make sure I had my priorities in order. Focusing on college deadlines, due dates, application would have been on the top of my agenda. Although I tried to fill out scholarships, but I would have devoted more time them. College is an expensive yet worthwhile post-secondary education and without financial assistance it is near impossible to be able to afford. Knowing now how costly school can become; I would have made sure I saved some of my earnings for necessities such as a: lab top, tape-recorders, and a quality book bag. There are numerous amount of changes I would have made to my last year of high school, but I am glad the decisions I made got me this far.

If I were to go back and give advice to myself there are severall key things I would inform me of that I did not realize at the time. First I would let myself know that I am really going to enjoy myself even though it is scary leaving home and doing something unknown. I would not give away all the secrets and fun but remind me to be open and friendly to everyone. Secondly I would tell myself to keep track of money, scholarships, and requirments because in the rush of things and when school gets tough it is easy to give up or become frustrated. Finally I would let myself know that it is okay if I do not know exactly what I want to do and to take time to explore because there is a ton of opportunities.

If I could go back I would tell myself to study and look for scholarships. I would make sure that I would take time on my homework and try to understand it, instead of trying to get it done and know it just for the test. Also, I would try to take more advance classes. I did take some in high school, but I would have pushed my self to keep going and try harder. I would make my senior year a harder year than trying to make it a "slack-off" year. I would put time and look up information about colleges and finanial information at the beginning of my senior year instead of waiting later in the year. One thing I would tell myself is that college is an investment, and I will try not to think of it as a debt.

When choosing a college, make sure you feel comfortable with the decision. If you feel any anxiety about that decision, it is probably not the right school for you. Further, look at all the aspects of the school. If there are rules to be followed, make sure you agree with them. Be sure that you like the environment of the campus and the classes. A great way to get a feel for the campus and classes is to talk to current students and to sit-in on the classes. Also, ask people in your major how they like the classes and if the classes are pertinent to their career. Lastly, make sure you like the people in general because if you don't like the people than your college experience will not be as enjoyable.

Do not wait too long to get involved with career building opportuinties at school. There are so many great ways to get invlved and so many great ways to gain leadership and career experience. Don't be afaid to get involved! Every opportunity you take to grow, will help you once you are no longer in the comfort of a classroom. In college professors help you and are there to encourage you to continue and to do well. They only have your best interests in mind, but once you get out of college and that kind professor is hundreds of miles away, you are on your own. Once you get experience and get a taste of what you will experience in your career field after college, you will be better equipt to succeed.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouold tell myself so many things. First, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and put in more hours at work. Second, I would tell myself to try and be more open to new people and new things when I first move into campus. I would also say to not try and latch onto the first people that I meet because there are so many people to meet and I do not have to be best friends with all of them. Lastly, I would tell myself to develop better time management and study skills. It would have been much better to start the school year off with these skills instead of developing them throughout my first semester at Evangel.

I spent most of my senior year immersed in applying for colleges and scholarships while trying to end my high school activities on a high note. If I could go back and talk to myself during that time, I would savor what time I had left there, but start preparing for a radical transition. I would have made sure to investigate the extracurricular activies available in the colleges I was considering. The university I ended up at doesn't really have the activities I'm interested in. Mainly I would advise myself to consider things other than academics and finances. I spent to much time just trying to get everything in on time; I wish I would have taken more time to stop and think.

Evangel University gives me the best experience for learning and college life. I have more challenges in academics than high school, still maintaining a high GPA, and have truly grown personally from living far away from home. The atmosphere of this school is the most welcoming campus that I have experienced and has the top priority of strengthening its students spiritually. I have learned how to make close friendships, volunteer throughout the community, study well, and build a resume for my career choice. There are always opportunities to spend time in the field of your choice to learn from professionals. All these aspects make Evangel a very valuable university.