Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

If I could, somehow magically go back in time, and have the opportunity to have a brief conversation with myself, I would emphasize how important timing really is. One of my downfalls as a senior in high school was, the anxiety of the cost of college itself. Much to speculation, I pushed college aside to find an alternative to pay for school. I was too green to realize that there were options for me to participate in financial aid, in which I failed to comprehend the grants open to anyone willing to put forth effort in education of higher learning. At the time, so much too quickly was happening, which caused me to turn a blind eye for my future, college. I did learn the hard way, but with so much help with money for college, enrolling was very simple. I am very grateful for the aid I am receiving now, and if I had the opportunity to go back and aware myself of this, I would have started much sooner, at a much younger age. I do regret slightly for not starting sooner but, I am now in school and going on strong.

My college experience has allowed me to peek on the inside of my being and to catch a glimpse of the person I am to become. Suddenly I am a person who is aware of the opportunities outside of the small town I grew up in. The boundaries are now few and the world is truly mine for the taking. I have met people from all walks of life and I value the wisdom they have shared with me about their culture, beliefs, and way of life. I have a new appreciation for people and what they can teach us. I am challenged to become a person who thinks "outside the box" and even better, one who "thinks" on his/her own. My ideas, thoughts and beliefs are not looked down upon, but encouraged. The college experience is not only valuable in preparing people for successful careers, it is also valuable in teaching us the importance of being people who give back to society. Whether it be volunteering, teaching, or simply caring about our neighbor, college is equipping me with the tools necessary to become a better person.

While attending Evangel University I have not only been presented with the blessing of advancing my knowledge in several areas of education, but have also learned how to better myself for society. I started college unaware of what major I wished to possess or what even slighly interested me. After only taking a few basic courses at Evangel it feels as if my whole world has turned right-side up. I now know which career path I wish to pursue and what skills I possess that will help me in this pursuit. Along with being further educated in academics, I have also experienced tough life lessons. Leaving home and the financial support of your parents does not hold a worry in your mind until the day you get your first bill in the mail. College has taught me that life comes at your fast and without a plan the simple things in life become the complex. We are all given great opportunities in life, what we do with these opportunities determine who will succeed and will struggle through school and even life.

You will experience a lot through college. Some of what will happen will be good, but some will be very bad. You have a tendancy to keep your thoughts to yourself and obsess over frienships too much. Broaden your horizens. Socialize more. Do NOT let what dad says get to your head. You are a strong girl. Your boyfriend is what saves you in two years, because throughout the crazy transition, you're going to hit a hard low. You will be depressed. Do NOT let this stuff get to you -- to me. And PLEASE, for the love of God, search up as many scholarships and grants as you can before school starts. If you do not, you will regret it. College is a big place, Megan. A very big place, and an even bigger change. Just because you will be away from family and friends never means you can recluse. This school wants the best for you--for us. But you just have to let it in. If not, you will get hurt, and cause unnecessary stress. Trust me, it is ridiculous. (p.s.- Hobby Lobby is a great place to work, but don't do it.)

I would share with myself, not to waste time just having fun or relaxing from school. This is the time to make use of the education opportunities. Why? when you are young, it comes easier to retain and apply. Also not to take for granted the assistance that is given. College is the time for adventure and investigation because it is so much to gain. When you get it, be serious, you will see the payoff in the end. Find something that you are interested in and stick with it. Do not allow others to sway you on your decision or direction you want to go in. College is fun and it is difficult at times, however the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it and see the benefits when it is applied. Share with her the things I am learning and how I'm going to use them. I'll share about our discussions online and the interaction I have with the instructors. Speak on things I know have been a question in our mind. Help her see the excitement that doesn't have to be put on hold. We never stop learning.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself about the importance of staying focused and working hard. You are striving to gain an education that will build the basis for your career so make sure to create good study habits. I would also tell myself that you need to stay true to who you are. You don't have to change in order to "fit in." Also, don't be afraid to take chances and get involved! These are two of the most important things I've learned while in college. Don't miss out on opportunities that could potentially change or impact YOUR life or SOMEONE else's. Don't psych yourself out before even giving yourself a chance. There's always something going on that you can be a part of. Make a difference! Finally, I would say to myself that the chance to be something great lies only within you and what you're willing to do to make it possible. If you work hard and study hard, you will find that you can do anything you set your heart and mind to- I know I have.

I have only been in college for five months but I have gotten so much out of my college experience in this short amount of time. College has showed me that being here is worth the money I have paid to attend, I have met amazing friends , and I have developed skills that you will use for the rest of your life. College is a great place to find yourself and develop skills you will use for the rest of my life. The University I attend has an awesome Nursing program. I feel like it is definitely worth the money I will be spending in the next four years. I have met amazing people that I hope to stay in contact for the rest of my life. They are encouraging which is an important part of surviving college. College is a lot harder than I expected but I have developed study skills. These skills can be used now and I will be able to use these skills in Nursing school. I am so excited to see all of the other valuable things I get out of the three and a half years I have left here at Evangel University.

College is a great place to make friends; all you have to do is put yourself out there. Keep your door open, study in a quiet yet public place such as the dorm lobby or the library, and talk to the people sitting around you in class. Just don't hide in your room all day. All those AP courses and dual credit courses are definitely worth doing the extra work in high school and will save you time and money in college. Set rules and guidelines for yourself to manage time. For example, don't get on social media until all your classes are done for the day, set aside time to do homework for each class. Do afternoon classes' homework between or before morning classes to leave extra time after classes for other activities. No, you don't need to jump into a relationship right away. Get to know people as friends first so you're not wasting your time on dating someone you will break up with anyway. Enjoy the friendships first. Learn, experience, and do new things as often as you can. It's worth it.

If I could go back and talk to the Elizabeth as a senior, I’d tell myself to not be afraid to get involved. Getting involved is crucial in order to make the most out of college. Being far away from home, it’s easy to get home-sick. I learned the more involved I am, the less I’m able to focus on my homesickness. Another thing I’d tell myself is to not rush into a relationship once I get to school. Relationships can be a distraction when you’re in a new area with new people. I was overwhelmed when I first got to campus and rushed into a relationship to take away the pain I felt of feeling alone. When I was in my relationship, I loved it because I wasn’t focused on the stress of school. However, when the relationship ended, I had nobody because all my time previously was focused on the relationship. The absolute best advice I’d tell myself is to get involved and to not rush into relationships. Wait a semester to date because if you don’t, you’re going to realize how much you missed out on.

What I have gotten out of my college experience thus far is perspective. I've learned how small I really am in this big world. I've learned how easy it is to get distracted, and what it takes to apply myself in life. It has been a challenge. Living away from my family has not been too difficult, but disciplining myself instead of relying on them to keep me focused has been tough. I've also learned a thing or two about faith and reliance upon God--not just for my financial situation, but for peace in the midst of the storm--literally. I've taken a step of faith by attending a college in tornado alley, as I'm lilapsophobic. I never had to deal with this fear of tornadoes while I was growing up in the mountains, but now it's something I have to face every time a storm rolls through. THAT has proved to be the toughest part of living so far from home. Yet I'm prepared to face and overcome the challenge. And there are people here who are more than willing to help me toward that end.