Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

James

Hamilton's fraternity scene, because it excludes many students who want to participate and creates impenetrable social circles on campus. When fraternites are associated with sports teams, athletes are alienated from their teammates if they are not in the same fraternity.

I wish I had known the depth and grasp that the fraternites have on the campus social scene. The fraternities control most social activity on campus, and if you're not in a fraternity after your freshman year, chances are you will lose many of your friends who ended up pleging and feel excluded from many social events and activities.

I would say to parents: LET YOUR CHILD PICK WHAT SCHOOL HE OR SHE WANTS TO GO TO. Save yourselves the aggrivation and disappointment when your child decides to transfer from a school that you "suggested" would be the best choice for him/her! You only get one freshman year, and the prospective student should get to pick where he or she feels that they would do the best academically and have the best time socially. My big mistake was letting my father have too much influence in selecting which schools I applied to and what school I ultimately chose to attend. Now, I am unhappy where I am and have no one to blame but myself for not standing up for what I wanted out of my college experience. Let the student choose where he wants to study!

Andrew

I would highly suggest starting early and making a list of all the possibilities. Research them and determine which ones are feasable to visit. Also, consult guidance counselors and teachers opinions towards the institutions you have interest in and see if they think that you will fit and succeed in the given school's environment. But once again, I can't emphasize enough, start early and visit often. The more times you visit, the better you will develop a feel of the school, and not just a facade that can be put on by tour guides. Also, don't be afraid to seek out coaches and professors to talk to. From my experience searching through liberal arts schools, both are usually willing and excited to meet with potential students. This is one more way to get a feel for the school. Those are both good options, but the best is still talking to students. They will be honest and give you the best descriptions of what classes, social life, and the actual school is like.

The poeple are all very friendly and accepting. All parties are open to the whole student population and nobody is ever refused. Students are supportive of classmates and willing to help each other succeed socially and academically.

Lack of financial aid for those that appear to be set with money but still require assisitance, especially in the current economic status of this country.

Joe

Hamilton College is a close-knit community with academically-driven students.

Hamilton College is a close-knit community with academically-driven students.

It is best known for its high academic standards and its emphasis on writing.

Find a college that will challenge you academically, yet place you in an environment that will make you comfortable.

Leighton

People rave about the Hamilton Community. The praise is warranted. I love it there. I have one more year to go, and I'm going to miss the place afterwards. Hamilton is small and, with very little effort, you can get to know many people very well. Personally, I really love the food service at Hamilton. Whenever people visit me at school, and if we go to one of the dining halls, they usually remark at how much better our options are than at their school. I am kind of a health nut, and the food meets and surpasses my standards everyday. You probably shouldn't pick a school because it has great food, but you may want to avoid school's with shitty food. It makes a difference.

Hamilton is pretty accepting. The student body is not terribly diverse, which turns some people off. There are plenty of outlets for students of all backgrounds, though, so people tend to find their niche.

It would be dumb for me to say, "I love Hamilton and you will too!" I do love Hamilton, but I think I was just very lucky in that I found a perfect-fitting college for myself. There are plenty of things that other people might not like about Hamilton: the vicious winter months, the small size of the school, the underwhelming diversity on campus.

Some students are preppy; most are not. We are, however, a rather homogenous group. Hamilton is trying to attract a greater diversity of students but it can be hard to entice people to Clinton, NY. It is quite rural. And the winters are harsh.

Hmmm, academics. Classes are small and usually engaging. Professors are fantastic. They make themselves available for office hours ALL THE TIME. Compared to other schools, the amount of attention you can get at Hamilton is unreal. I struggled through a calculus class my freshman year and I spent literally every afternoon in my professor's office getting extra help. That's with my professor, not some TA. Hamilton's strongest majors are economics, history, and English. Biology is also quite popular. All of these areas have many great professors, many classes, and they attract many students.

The Hamilton campus is isolated but the College goes to great lengths to bring entertainment to us. Every weekend there is something to do: comedians, concerts, movies, frat parties. Athletic events can also be fun. Our football team sucks but people still like to go. Our basketball teams - mens and womens - are both good and watching Hamilton kick ass on the hardwood is great fun. There are regular guest speakers that visit campus. Once every year, the College gets a big name speaker. Al Gore, Tom Brokaw, Aretha Franklin, Bill Clinton, they've all come to Hamilton. Aretha didn't speak, she sang. And she rocked the place.

I guess people might think Hamilton is very preppy and the school is located in the middle of nowhere.

Alex

I know it sounds cliché, but Hamilton truly is a community of its own. The campus is small, the town of Clinton at the bottom of the Hill is adorable but there isn't much to do for college kids, and so most students stay on campus every weekend which helps create a really closeknit atmosphere. There are always familiar faces on your stroll to class or the dining halls. Professors know not just your name, but you personally. Sports teams cheer each other on at games, attend each other's parties. At Hamilton, everyone is on a first-name-basis. The Administration is insanely helpful. They will bend over backwards to make your life easier. I once received an internship opportunity past the internship scholarship deadline, and one of my professors worked with the administration to obtain a research grant for me to make it possible. Incredible! The Campus Police are also very accommodating, surprisingly. I'll always remember hanging outside late at night the first night of one of the school breaks after most of the campus had emptied out. My friends and I were approached by Campus Police and were expecting to be told to go back to our dorms. Instead, they asked us if we were cold, and then opened one of the closed campus buildings for us to hang out in instead. It was 4AM!

Most students seem to wear Hamilton sweatshirts, sweatpants, t-shirts, hats, flip flops, etc. to class. Basically anything you could find at the campus store. Very laid back in terms of fashion. Except, of course, for about 1/3 of the Student Body who attended prep schools. They are still very much into pastels for men, popped collars, Lili Pulitzer prints... in other words : preppy. I guess you could say that financially on the whole, Hamilton students are very well-off.

While a lot of students (especially those from the East Coast) did attend prep schools, Hamilton has a high percentage of international students (for example, I have friends from Nepal, South Africa, Lebanon, Pakistan, China & Paraguay just to name a few) who help even out the general attitude of the campus.

One thing I love about Hamilton is the lack of required classes. It's extremely easy (no matter what major you happen to be) to fulfill the Writing Intensive requirements. Beyond that and Phys. Ed. (I took yoga & ice skating and had a blast), the only other General Requirement is something we call a "Sophomore Seminar". I have to admit, I didn't choose mine well. A lot of students complain about their Sophomore Seminars. Otherwise, classes are fantastic. It's rare to have more than 25 students in a class. I've had some as small as 9 students. Class participation is a must. Hamilton students are high achievers by nature, but Class Rank wars absolutely never happen. Professors, as I've said before, are extremely helpful and attentive. They know everyone student personally and go out of their way for them.

I've been studying abroad this year but I did hear that recently there was some racist vandalism on campus. I was shocked, however, by this news. It's true that sometimes cliques form in the dining hall (usually based on sports, ie the basketball players are friends, vs. Lacrosse guys) but usually friendships and social connections extend beyond those cliques. Everybody knows everybody. For example, The Brothers Organization is very popular and is comprised of the African American or African students on campus. They organize campus-wide events that are widely attended, no matter one's skin color. The Fraternities and Sororities are pretty low key. For starters, there is no frat/sorority housing. So automatically Greek life has less of an impact than at other schools. I'm a rising senior and I couldn't even name off which Fraternities/Sororities exist on campus besides the different ones a handful of friends are in. Hamilton is a very safe campus, everybody leaves theirs doors unlocked, windows open. It's also rather isolated, people stay on campus all the time, even if they have cars. Sporting events are popular, there always seems to be a campus-wide party every weekend hosted by a different team or group but open to everyone. The dating scene seems difficult in that everyone knows everyone, and word travels fast. So it seems that if people date, it becomes a long term relationship. You're guaranteed to see that person day in and day out. A common weekend night usually starts out with an athletic event. Afterwards people head to a campus party to dance. Then people wander in groups to various dorm parties. By 3AM people crowd the campus diner for late-night greasy goodies.

One stereotype is that Hamilton is full of rich kids from prep schools.

Francesca

The best thing about Hamilton is the study body by far! From the minute you step on campus people smile and say hello and welcome newcomers. Maybe it is the small size but at Hamilton you really feel like you are part of something. The professors know everyone's name by the second week of classes, the women who work in the dining halls share personal stories and bring in pictures of their kids for students to look at and the staff are more than willing to help any student in need. Location wise, Hamilton is in the middle of nowhere and there is really nothing to do in town if you don't want to hit one of the two bars. On campus Hamilton shells out a shitload of cash to bring in big bands - Eve 6, Gym Class Heroes, and Ingrid Michaelson to name a few. We may not be good at sports but people come out to support our football team in the fall, hockey in the winer, and our NCAA Div III Champion women's lacrosse team.

Professors are incredible, friendly and more than accessible. Homework will be loaded on, and students spend much of the week in the library, but it pays off in the end. Take an anthropology class with Chaise LaDousa and you will never regret it. Psychology and Spanish are great departments as well.

Hamilton students often fall into one of two categories - artsy or preppy. The campus is divided by the main road and the student body seems to divide pretty evenly. The prepsters wear their jcrew/polo/tommy outfits in a myriad of pastels on the lightside while the darksiders stick to hemp and organic clothing in a variety of subdued colors. Students work hard and party even harder with a palate for keystone light.

Jesse

It's a small place, which has it's ups and downs. The bummer is that you seem to know everyone on campus, the good part is that it isn't at all overwhelming. What you need to know is our campus is segregated: Light Side and Dark Side. The dark side is everyone who doesn't wear a polo shirt and madras shorts and listen to Bruce Springsteen or Journey or Dave Matthews on a regular basis. The light side is everyone who does that.

The dark side is for liberals, the light side is for conservatives. That's easy.

Great academics, good classes. Not a lot of flexiblity to study something outside of our normal curriculum. They make it very hard to be creative with your classes, even though there are no requirements

Drinking. The coke scene has gotten really big lately. There's nothing to do if you don't drink because there's nothing to do off campus.

Kaitlin

Hamilton College can really be whatever you make of it. If you choose to limit yourself, it can feel like the smallest campus on earth, but if you extend yourself it can feel like there is always a new person to meet and a new club to join. When I tell people that I go to Hamilton they either smile and say "wow that is so great, blah blah blah I know someone who went there, I went there ect." OR they look at you like you are dumb and go to some special school for idiots and go "ohhh...that's so great..." Overall, we like to refer to Hamilton as resort Hamilton. For the most part, students are on a 21 meal plan with several great dining halls serving whatever you ask for, and a completely vegan hippie station that is to die for, a diner open until 5am Thursday-Saturday that serves amazing breakfast sandwiches to drunks (they are included in the meal plan) and a pub on campus. There is definitely a lot of academic pride at Hamilton, doing poorly and not caring about your studies is really looked down upon. As far as sports teams go, if a team is good and made up of cool people they get a lot of support. If they are not good, and the people are jerks, no one could care less. For the most part people stay on campus to party, but older students take our free jitney down to the bars and back which are full of Hamilton students.

For the most part, Hamilton students are very accepting of pretty much anyone. There are definitely divisions between different circles, but I find that within those divisions there are many overlaps. Our rugby team had girls in the most selective preppy sororities, chemistry and physics nerds, girls of all races, religions, socio-economic classes and sexual orientations. For us, it just meant that our fan base was huge because everyone had such different circles outside of our team! Students are definitely politically aware, and all opinions are respected even if students disagree.

Pretty much I just graduated from Hamilton and I cannot believe I will not be going back there. Driving up the hill gives me the feeling in my stomach like I am finally home. Life after Hamilton has been very good because I have many connections and my friends and I have kept quite close, but if I had the chance to do another year there I would in a heart beat. Anyone who gets in to Hamilton and doesn't go is missing out on what could have been the best four years of their life so far.

Professors not only know your name, they know where you are from, what you do on the weekends, who your favorite baseball team is ect. Hamilton students definitely work hard and play hard, science majors at Hamilton are especially demanding because all seniors are required to write a senior thesis. Hamilton students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, but as at any school, the scope of the conversations is very wide. Hamilton does not have any required core requirements which is AMAZING! The only requirements are 3 "writing intensive" classes, which really do not need to be difficult if you choose them carefully. Many people fulfill the requirement just within their normal course load. The education is definitely geared towards learning, but students are always encouraged to think about what they like learning and where they may want to take it into the future.

The rugby teams are definitely the most popular and supported teams, probably from their wide range of players. Many students in the same organizations/teams choose housing near one another and spend time in the dorms hanging out and playing drinking games. The dating scene is mostly just people hooking up, but the younger classes seem to be more keen on dating. I met my closest friends playing rugby, in my freshman year dorm, and in my chemistry classes. At 2am I am either in the science building finishing my work, or in my common room drinking a beer watching TV with my suitemates/closest guy friends. Most Saturday nights involve drinking, but if we have a game the next day or choose not to drink we go to the movies or spend a night in catching up on work. For students that do not drink, it is a more limited social scene but there are substance free houses where students hang out....I have never been to one.

Alex

professors are great- approachable, reasonable, good to converse with, etc. small class size is amazing no core curriculum is excellent, can take what interests you no matter what great music department Clinton is very tiny college town, 2 bars on college street are very highly attended though great parties at Hamilton for entire campus.

school is predominantly white and economically well off, but definite asian and black population and obviously some with less money than others. most are from the northeast- NY, NJ, CT, MA. students are very politically aware.

to a certain degree, but not fair to create a blanket statement- many don't fit either stereotype.

professors are great- i have gone for an extra study session for clarification or pointers with every single professor i've had thus far. class participation is very common, and students take their intellectual pursuits away from the classroom into their own lives.... political, philosophical, and economic debates are commonly heard in dorms, etc.

buffers is the best group on campus. join it.

some say that there are a lot of preps from fancy private high schools and boarding schools. others say that most Hamilton students like to drink.

Zachary

Hamilton has nothing around it which means that the extracurricular activities of a Hamilton student involves alcohol, drugs and sports. I do not mean for this to be a negative portrayal of the school, but in reality the majority of the Hamilton population enjoys partaking in these activities. Nonetheless, there are still many other events available for those students whom to do want to drink or participate in IM or varsity sports.

In reality while there is a legitimate division there is no animosity on either side.

Academics are quite rigorous at Hamilton, but no more so than any other NESCAC college. Our professors are well-informed, accomplished and most importantly are always available to further discuss class material. The availability of our professors is the most impressive aspect of Hamilton's academic community.

The campus is divided between the dark-side hippies and hipsters and the light-side prepsters.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.