Oneonta, NY
Hartwick College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hartwick College

I would tell my self not to expect things to just fall in my lap, I need to seek things out. I would also say not to expect to suddenly become a different person over night.

The travel abroad opportunities.

A person that likes a big city and lots of activities., or someone who dislikes the outdoors.

Zachary

Motivation is key to success! I would tell myself that swimming is difficult but is worth the time and structure. I would tell myself that yes college is full of lots of cool people with an awsome greek life but not to get carried away in my social life. GRADES are the most important part and not wise to slack or especially miss classes!...Finally i will tell myself not to stress over the small bits and peices of life and college but worry more on what i can do to make a positive differnece in my future! College is amazing and an experence like nothing else but its something you shouldnt take for granted and something that should be taken very serously!

The food and diverse body of students. the class size is perfect as well. they provide free tutors which is extremely helpful. Its a small school so you get to know a lot of different people.

I wish i had more experience with upper level classes!

Devan

Some are quite smart, driven and fun to be around. There are a lot whoever who seem to still think that they are in highschool, and these ones don't seem to have anything better to do than to pester myself. I would say I only like about 5% of the kids at my school.

Be very careful what school you pick; visit all of them in the darkest coldest time of the year so you know what the school will be like at it's worst, talk to students there about their experiences, and be very sure that you can afford this school, don't trust what the school tells you about your financial aid, they have there own agenda. Once in school, get involved and go for it. Show the world what you can do, chances are it'll be impressive.

Anyone who is not sure of their financial situation should run, run fast and run far. Also it is a very small, rainy place, so anyone who is easily depressed should try elsewhere.

Enviornmental campus, excellent study abroad office and opportunities, internship connections, Outdoor orientation program

I would encourage students and parents alike to do the following: 1. Explore any and every college you find interesting and look at the price tag later. There are so many ways to make college affordable and the right fit will lead the student to a happier career and future. 2. Take advantage of the unique points of the college. If they have an alternative campus or program go on it. My alma mater, Hartiwck College, offered an over night program to prospective students. Participating in this program allowed me to see the college as it functions with students present, and that makes a huge difference. 3. Once you are attending college find opportunities and try new things. There are so many expereinces at college that don't involve the usual cliche party scence and they are often over looked. I guarnatee the nights you spend off campus on an advanture will be far more memorable than those spent recreating. 4. Lastly, have fun. Yes studying is by far the most important part of school, but growing and developing yourself is as well. Good Luck!

How to survive a NY winter, bring duct tape to school, dorm cooking skills,

Meghan

My classmates are just like me. We are interested in course material and feel very connected to our professors.

When looking for the right college, take time to get to know the students themselves and where they come from. It's also really important to learn about the professors, where they live, how often they spend on campus with office hours or extra curricular activities with the students. All of these things will make a difference in your education at that college. To make the most of your college experience, GET INVOLVED. Learn about volunteering activites in the surrounding area and what the campus has to offer. Join clubs and learn something new. I guarantee if you become involved, you will meet new people that will likely positively influence your future.

The worst thing about Hartwick is the cost. It is a really good school, but unfortunately it takes a large chunk of change to attend.

SallyFries

Visit the school and talk to upperclass students to get an accurate feel for what it's like to live there. Also, I would visit the professors in the department of your interest. It takes extra effort, but it will let you know just what you're average day will be like. Visit the dorms and take a look around. The footwork will be worth it when you choose your school .

I wish I had known a little more about financial aid and how it works.

Wendy

Hartwick offers many research opportunities.

Hartwick offers many research opportunities.

There is so much pressure to find the "right" school. Take a deep breath, and forget about that. Visit all the campuses you've researched and found that might be suitable for you, and really try to picture yourself going there. Ask current students how they feel about their school- students besides the tour-givers, who are paid to make their school look good. Do not panic if you don't get into your first choice school, you will survive. If you've wisely picked reach, range, and safety schools that you can really see yourself attending, and that match you both personally and academically, you should be fine wherever you go. If your school offers an orientation program, attend it! It's a wonderful feeling to have friends and familliar faces on campus before classes even start. Make sure you keep deadlines in mind, they are different for each school, and you don't want to miss out on things like financial aid. So again, take a deep breath, be realistic, and have fun instead of stressing to the point of a breakdown!

Anyone who is not prepared for walking long distances to class, uphill both ways in the snow and rain should steer clear of Hartwick. Keep in mind that the student body is quite small, so the environment can get very gossipy and high-schoolish. Classes are moderately difficult. There is a lot of partying on campus. Alternative dress is not well accepted, there are mobs of ugg-boot wearing girls everywhere. Back to the weather for a moment, it really is overcast most of the year, and is usually either raining or snowing, and can get very very cold.

Schuyler

Unless considering a school at which the reputation will be a significant factor in post-graduate job placement or graduate school admissions, ignore the rankings and the numbers. Focus on balancing two goals: minimizing anticipated student debt while maximizing 'fit'. Students from larger high schools may not fit in at small, personal colleges, while students from small high schools may not take well to large lecture halls. Once at college, get to know your professors. They are not your enemy. My best learning was done in one-on-one research and work done outside of class in conjunction with the professors in my major. Don't choose your major based on expectations of employment, but choose a department where you 'click' with the professors, and where they seem genuinely interested in your success, and nuturing you to your full potential.

Prevalence of greek life/binge drinking. Lack of things to do in Oneonta.

Joanna

Nursing Program. It's one of the best in the nation.

Nursing Program. It's one of the best in the nation.

I would advise parents and students to: Try and talk to students who aren't actually part of the admissions department. While those students are very knowledgable of the school, they are also paid to give you certain answers to questions and paint the school out to be the "college for you." Also, search the web, find out what the local paper is for the area and take a look at it. Chances are, if there is any bad press on that school you will find it there. Definitely do an overnight program and sit in on some classes at the college to get a feel for what the typical day is for a student at the college/university is like. And if you are a student that will relay heavily on financial aid, ask questions to not only admissions, but also current students specifically questioning whether or not financial aid packages for students change drastically year to year. The college I am attending has lost a lot of students because their financial aid packages were much better coming in as a freshman than they were in their returning years.

The worst thing about this school is the administration. The administration here is not transparent enough and quite frankly, I'm dissapointed in how they handle a crisis. I was raped by my Tennis Coach and the administration here is trying to cover it up. I was assaulted by another student and she wasn't punished at all. I feel like politics and money play a big role in this school and since I'm not strong in either category--mostly because my family isn't wealthy, the administration doesn't care about my best interests.

nicole

my classmaes were, fun, hardworking, and determined.

my classmaes were, fun, hardworking, and determined.

spend a night on campus with current students and without your parents....thats the only way you'll really know how it feels to be there on your own.

Hartwick College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.