Jackson State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Jackson State University

Destiny

Jackson State University is a great school. As far a school related things and campus related things, they make sure that there are announcements sent out so that you are aware of what is going on. There's always ways for you to get involved in campus.

Natalie

I love my HBCU. This experience is like no other. There are so many opportunities at Jackson State, it's like a diamond in the rough. I love my school and I wish that others knew more about this great school!

Erykah

I feel as if I can wear Jackson State proudly. The professors at Jackson State are very caring. The president of Jackson State has a energetic booming voice and she is very compassionate. I feel safe with the exception of a couple of crocked characters.

Ashlei

I like the overall atmosphere of the school and I feel like it is a good learning enviornment.

Carlee

Great school, the surrounding areas of the school they don't don't judge a book by its cover. The overall school is great feel safe within the gates. Housing is comfortable and caf has lots to offer just get tired of the food throughout the year. Options for food within the school outside café are good.

aja

I like it! There's always something to do. Everybody participates in events and parties. Campus is beautiful, the people are beautiful. Housing could be better for freshmen girls. Definitely need a car to get around. We need better quality food and different options in the cafe.

Eb

It is a great school, you just have to be careful who you hang around because it is an open campus. Although there is security some blend in with us or have attend school and dropped out so they have school Id cards. The food is fair some days and thee always activities that you you attend, just for fun. Though, I feel that sometimes, the school can be really expensive when it come to purchase books and the meal plan is extremely high, even for in state students. What I love about this school is that there are always a professor or counselor you can talk to to get extra help on things and when I go to class I actually learn something. The professors actually care that you are learning something and its not all about their pay check. :)

Treasure

Before accepting my spot at TheeILove, Jackson State University, I was against the idea of attending an HBCU. I thought there was nothing that I could learn from an HBCU, that I could not learn at the University of Toledo. However, I am so excited to say that I was mistaken. My first day of visiting the campus, I instantly fell in love. Seeing thousands of students who looked like me, who were excelling was one of the most amazing feelings that I have ever felt. I grew up in a neighborhood where I was a minority, and was reminded of it every time I stepped outside of the house. To be able to walk outside, feel encouraged, meet others who are as invested in my success just as much as I am is a feeling that I never want to give up. I've learned so much about myself, about my heritage, and about the struggle of those in similar positions. No, we do not always win the football games, we do not have the best food on Mondays and Tuesdays (Fried chicken Wed. and Fried fish Fri. are our best cafeteria days), but we have soul. We have heart. We have family, an that's all I have ever wanted in a school.

Rodney

i wanna go to jackson state, so i can play in the sonic boom

bratt

i went on a school fieldtrip it was amazing evryone was nice the food was great and the sorority sisters were amazing i am from texas but plan on coming here i really would love too if they had it i would give this school 100 stars and to the sorority i plan to join E-YIIIIPPPP! to the sigma gamma rho

Jermeria

Jackson State is really a great school. Like all schools it has its downfalls with things such as housing, and parking. In other situations you just have to take responsibility and make sure that while you are out having your fun, you are also staying on the different departments to make sure your business is handled. Always ensure that you have clarity when it comes to speaking with people in the business office, as well as the financial aid office. Keep records if needed, but most importantly HAVE FUN!

Keiera

Jackson State University is a excellent college that made it possible for me to enjoy my first experience of attending an university. There were times when the university made me feel unwelcome due to the failure to join a sport because I am extremely small. When it comes to academic works and learning, the university covered my needs. Jackson State University professors and support system is the best!

I think that THEE Jackson State University is not only the only urban university in Mississippi but also the best HBCU, in America. I love the atmosphere everyone acts as if your a family member. Before I walked on that campus I was so set on going to college out of state, but after a few weeks at a camp held on campus I knew where my heart belonged. I was Tiger Bred, Tiger Fed, and when I die I'll be Tiger Dead. I love my Jackson State, the best HBCU out there! Now I attend every football game, basketball game and plan to be apart of their highly awarded Cheerleading Team and SGA.

Trinity

Jackson State is a wonderful college to attend. The people are very welcoming and the culture is incomparable. We ARE a family. The food is okay, but there are plenty of restaurants on and off campus. The sports go CRAZY! you'll love it. Also, the professors are always excited to help you, and have open door policy, meaning you are welcome to drop by their office and talk to them anytime. They are understanding, and are there to want to help you succeed, not the opposite. Utilize the teachers to your best advantage, ask questions ALL the time, and find study groups to attend!

Sieara

It's my home away from home. I love the people here. It's really a culture. The majority of people are very welcoming and encouraging> I like my campus, and I look forward to starting this school year and this journey with all of these wonderful individuals- faculty and students alike.

Yasmine

Jackson state University is a great school, the atmosphere is so welcoming. Everything on campus is so nice and definitely make you feel safe, the students are highly involved. Alot of schools deal with alcohol and drug problems, at Jackson state that is not a problem at all. The students are focused on work.

Lamonte

I think i'm going to love Jackson state because i'm a huge fan of the sonic boom of the south and I hope to be playing on the line with the band.

Daisia

Jackson state university is one of the top HBCUs in the country!! You will fall in love with this school, the campus, the people, all the activities to do, etc!! It’s so much to experience at TheeILove. Everybody is encouraged to get involved on campus and it’s not hard either. Everybody that attends JSU loves it and wouldn’t trade it for the world

Janece

Jackson State University is a family oriented school. The professors actually care about their students and create bonds with their students. The professors are hands on, they are always available to help. I believe that Jackson State is a good school. Not only are we always on top of our education but we also like to have fun. Even the faculty and president of the school participate in activities that the students have on campus.

Kearstyn

I love my HBCU. I always knew that attending a university way from home would be the choice for me. While considering universities, I wanted a university that portrayed excellent character, history, and program. Jackson State contained it all with its immediate attraction and southern hospitality wheeling me in; I knew this was the place for me. Within the next 3 years, I plan to obtain my degree in Chemistry with a concentration of Pre-Medicine from The Jackson State University.

Ke'Shaela

I think Jackson State University is a great school. There are lots of things for students to do and get involved in. They have a little bit of everything for everybody. The social life on campus is amazing. Although they have great opportunities, they have some negative things. For example, they have an open campus, so anyone could come onto campus.

Tyrell

Overall I believe that Jackson State University is the best urban university in the state of Mississippi to be able to attend. The best university in Historically Black College Universities (HBCU) too. Jackson State University has a very energetic and fun campus to be on. Everyone is always encouraging and striving to their best at whatever they do.

shelby

I love Jackson State University. Once you make friends and get involved with the campus your overall experience is a great one. People love to go to the big games and see the sonic boom of the sound. Homecoming is a big deal on this campus also. there is so much school pride around here.

Kiahesha

THEEILOVE IS A GREAT FRIENDLY AND FUN ENVIRONMENT. THIS SCHOOL IS VERY BIG ON SPORTS, ACADEMICS, AND COMMUNITY SERVICE. FACULTY AND STAFF REALLY CARE ABOUT THE CONCERNS OF STUDENTS AND THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING FUN TO DO ON CAMPUS. THERE ARE MANY DINNING AREAS WHERE YOU CAN SPEND TIGER BUCKS WHICH IS INCLUDED IN TUITION WHEN YOU LIVE ON CAMPUS. I LOVE BEING A JSU TIGER.!!!

Brandon

Jackson State University is a prominent Historical Black University that cares about each individual success. The overall goal for college students is to go to an institution where they can maintain a comfortable lifestyle and receive proper education for the occupation of their choice. I personally believe that Jackson State University is doing everything to uphold this goal to students. I love my HBCU. There is not any other place I would rather be.

Ashleigh

I have enjoyed my tenure as a Jackson State University Tiger. I have met several people who have indulged me in the culture of Jackson State, and for that I am grateful. My professors are committed to our education, and ensure that we remain successful during our time at Jackson State University. I am honored to be a part of the graduating class of 2019.

Dreshon

I honestly love Jackson State University. I would not change it for any school in the world. It has the perfect combination of academics and fun. I have developed many friendships with students and teachers that I will hold on to dearly forever. The vibe that Jackson State gives it's students will never be matched by any other university.

Destiny

Overall Jackson State University was a great school . Unfortunately it was not the best choice for myself as a Mass Communications major. Jackson is an extremely small city and I did not see a lot of opportunities blooming there for my career . However if you do not mind being in an slower paced environment And are look for an rich HBCU experience I would recommend checking out the university, especially if you plan on majoring in STEM they are really building the program.

Samari

My opinion about Jackson State University is that it's a really good school, however it's costly for out of state students. They make it really hard for kids who come from out of state to attend the university. Also the food is horrible and they aren't very open to asking about what other kids eat, they just cook something up! Overall it's a really good school, they just need to be more professional and a little more understanding.

Jai'Quishalyn

I love Jackson state I always wanted to go when I was a little girl and now I'm a senior in high school I can feel myself getting ready to go to Jackson state and become a tiger and be apart of the sonic boom of the south marching band . Jackson state has my major I want to major in and I know I'm going to do try and do my best at Jackson state university

Zykerria

I’m my opinion Jackson State University is a wonderful school to attend. The culture of the school and the atmosphere is very loving and positive. You can tell that the professors care about the students well being. The cafe is not all that great, but it is acceptable. I do not regret my decision on coming to Jackson State University.

shawtrell

Jackson State University is the best college I know. JSU is one of the greatest HBCU´s (Historically Black College or university), in the state of Mississippi. Although it is a historically black university, it is also very diverse. Its campus is very safe, and everyone gets along very well.

Robert

Jackson State University culture has been in my blood since birth. My parents and their parents were graduates from JSU and my grandfather was head coach for the JSU Tigers football team. I have been dreaming about one day being a part of the JSU family/community as a scholar.

Marcus

Jackson State University is a great college and have many opportunities so that many student can achieve their life long dreams. Jackson State University also is a very involved school with different opportunities to get involved within the school sports, fraternity, or sority.

Dominique

I am currently a Junior at Jackson State University and my experience has been absolutely amazing. The professors are really committed to helping you learn, housing is great and there are plenty of fun things to do around the city that are not too far from campus.

Shaniqua

I love my school. Although I am a commuter and do not attend every activity I really feel the love in the classroom! Most of the professors are very enthused to teach us in the best way possible! Sometimes I dislike that I can not attend activities like my friends! THEE I LOVE!

Chartaya

I love Jackson State University.

Ayana

My overall opinion of THEEILOVE aka know as Jackson State University, was life changing and as a first time freshman. I have met so many friends that I could call my life long friends, because being at JSU made me feel like that I was right at home. So many helping people that take you in as a family, and we all come together and support each other at all times no matter what. We make sure if anybody needs something we are here even the professors and staff make sure they have a big helping hand. Even when it comes to community service we are very big on community service and always wanting to be a helping hand. I am just so proud of my college and happy to be apart of the tiger family and hope that when I have children they will get to experience the same and keep the legacy going at JSU.

Kendra

Jackson State University is one of the best HBCUs in the state of Mississippi. There's so many activities that we have on campus. The people are friendly. We believe in southern hospitality. The professors are very active with us. They are there when we need them. One thing that I can honestly say is that we always come together as a whole when something big happens at our school.

Kennedy

I am in love with Jackson State University. Before applying here, the JSU Recruitment Staff made consistent visits to my high school, Jim Hill High School. They made me feel at home and I was provided with a constant sense of assurance that I would get the best academic opportunities, safety, campus involvement and student engagement that any college could offer. Our Student Government is hands on with campus issues, as well as campus activities. Our cafe is always clean and decorated seasonally, and our library is a great asset for any assignment. Our football and basketball games are full of alumni, students and future tigers. I am more than pleased with my decision to become a JSU Tiger, Thee I Love is the place to be!

Jasmine

My overall opinion is it is quite the exceptional HBCU. The opportunities they offer for students, and how they take care of there students and student athletes is really a family type atmosphere. The class sizes allow you to build personal relationships with professors who help you with your goals and course work. Every university has there flaws but "Thee I Love" is truly a home away from home

Brianna

I love Jackson state it’s a great place to go to college . Everyone is so nice and the band is so good . The campus is kinda big though, my mother went there and so we are always visiting and they give you great tips . Everybody is like a family . When I go down there everybody supports Jackson state university

Janai

Jackson State University is a school that makes you feel welcomed. They treat you much like a family. You can always go to teachers or coaches to talk to them and it’s a campus that keeps you as safe as possible. The academics although only being their for one semester is very good and they want to really learn the material, not just get by. I am glad that I went to this school even though it was not my first choice. I made a great decision.

Antonio

THEE I LOVE is what we say all the time! Jackson State University is my home away from home. The community is amazing and the faculty is very important! I wouldn’t have enjoyed being at any other school that JSU. Between the football team, the band, and college life there’s plenty to do. It’s THEE I LOVE for a reason.

Iven

The campus is really clean

Chelsea

This is by far the worst school to attend. They are unorganized and unprofessional. The advisors are not familiar with Graduation requirements and departments are not on the same page. If you are thinking about coming here for online studies, I would not. The employees do not take request over the phone as a priority. Teachers are self-centered. Professor are hardly in their office and they don’t respond to emails in a timely manner. Two semesters I have been waiting for graduation and every semester I am told I need one more class. I wouldn’t recommend this college at all.

Raven

I think jackson is a very good school to attend for some very smart kids in the world

Isis

THEE JacksonState is a very respectable HBCU. There is always something to do and get involved too. It is a place where you can be yourself and express yourself.

Tori

I visited this college during my spring break & i absolutely loved it! The campus is really nice and open! I found it very interesting the way they displayed the different divine 9 on each individual tree. The greek life there was present and everyone was just so nice and helpful. ❤️ i’m so excited to attend next fall! #JSU

Carl

My over all opinion of Jackson state is that it’s a very prestigious school field with stimulating lectures and discussions on all types of topics. The extracurricular activities are also very exciting it’s get the whole campus fired up, it’s just like a big happy family.