Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Juliette
4/5

Overall, a pretty good school. There are some things I would change, but I'm generally happy with my choice.

4/5

Janice
Good School

Good National College

Good School

Good National College

Courtney

Worst day ever: I got a big fat “no” from my dream school. And boy, did I cry. I was top of my class, president of the student body, a big fish in the pond. I thought I had the world on a string and was sitting on a rainbow, and this letter of denial just crushed me. I told my parents I didn’t want to go to college anymore and that my life was over. In the end, going to my second choice was the best decision for me. I am so happy at Marist College with the education I am receiving and the friends I have made. So what I would’ve loved to tell high school senior me was that you are not the best of the best, there are always going to people who are better than you, but this should only encourage you to strive to be even better. And when things don’t work out it just means to try again or choose another path. College is for maturing, growing as an individual, and learning from others and you must be open minded in order to do so.

The worst part about the school is the location in the winter time. We have a beautiful campus right on the water and when it is warm it even seems majestic. But once the winter months hit, the wind start howling and it can get rather cold! Make sure to invest in a heavy winter jacket and some nice warm boots!

Someone who is academically strong and passionate about the field they choose. The individual should also be friendly (Here at Marist we ALWAYS hold the doors for one another-- and sometimes you don't see that all colleges). Someone who learns best in an intimate learning environment should attend Marist. My largest class was 25 people and my smallest was 7; the professors actually know who you are and are always willing to work with you.

Jamie

At Marist, everyone is kind, funny, and fun-loving.

At Marist, everyone is kind, funny, and fun-loving.

Although the point of attending college is for the education, everyone knows how integral the friends and memories are to the experience. When I arrived at Marist, my only option for friends was to meet new people because no one from my high school was coming with me. I was very excited about this, until the first few days of school. In the beginning, it was very awkward for everyone. Despite how uncomfortable I felt, I decided to put myself out there in attempts to meet new people. After doing this for a few weeks, I developed a great group of friends that I loved to spend time with and have dinner with. If I could go back to senior year, I would tell myself that it takes effort to find friends and build relationships, but in the end it is worth it.

Nothing, because everyday at college there is something new to discover and experience. That is what makes it amazing.

Michelle

I would first tell myself that money doesn't just appear out of thin air, it is so important to be smart with your money and plan ahead. I should have been saving the money I made instead of spending it on unneccessary food, clothes, and video games. Had I realized the financial mountain that I would have to climb attending college, I would have applied for scholorships and saved a portion of every paycheck I recieved. Another important idea that I would reiterate to myself would be to relax, college isn't scary! It is filled with fun memories and great people. Making new friends in college isn't hard, most colleges are very accommodating towards freshman and host many meet-and-greet events. While I felt alone and scared I failed to realize that all of the other freshman were in the same position as me. Even if the idea of making new friends scares you, you'll always have your friends and family at home to help you through anything.

I wish I would have been more better prepared economically. I should have been applying to scholorships all through high school and I should have started saving up money a lot sooner.

I always brag about how beautiful the campus is and the many historic and environmental landmarks in the surrounding area. I also talk about how excited I am to take classes for my major (Game Design. Conceptual and artistic aspects) as no other college that I have looked at teaches my major the way Marist does. Lastly, both students and faculty are very kind and encouraging towards one another.

Denise

Marist is the only school with a Red Fox as a mascot; his name is Shooter. If you attended any other school, a common argument would be which school has the best panther, or who's cardnal has a better costume. Not at Marist; we are unique and very original, not to mention Shooter has a cool costume that attracts kids.

The first thing I would say to 17 year old Denise is "be proud of everything you have accomplished academically and athletically." My college experiences have been both positive and negative, and it wouldn't be fair to address the negative components only. As a senior I had the opportunity and drive to become salutatorian and captain of my cheerleading team. While transitioning into college I have struggled in both categories that I normally excel in. I began to think that my goals and dreams died. My advice to myself would be to keep striving to be great, and remember that I was put in this situation because I am capable of taking the world by storm if I am willing to work hard. I stopped being optimistic and that has changed my outlook on life as well as my capability to get back up and try again like the 17 year old Denise would. I would tell myself be prepared for the mental and physical breakdowns and know that they will make you stronger in every aspect of my life. Last but not least, I would tell denise to keep her dream alive no matter what.

The kind of student that should attend Marist should be someone who is either involved in, or enjoys athletics. Our school is eighty percent athletes, who either participates in competitive or intramural sports. If you are not an athletic person, you will most likely be attending some sort of sporting event to cheer on your friends.

Mary

It isn't just a pretty campus with nice people, it's an experience.

It isn't just a pretty campus with nice people, it's an experience.

The Fashion Design Program

Don't take high school for granted. Take every opportunity to have fun and hang out with your friends, because soon you will have new friends in a new place. Don't wait until August to realize that you are all leaving and going to a different town, a different state, a different environment. Have absolutely as much fun as you can and don't regret anything. Go crazy. Hug your friends. Hug your mom. Give everyone who is going to forget you after high school a reason to remember you by being the nicest person you can be. College will be fun, and amazing and exciting, but it will also be a lot harder than high school. Don't get Netflix. Don't go to the vending machine at midnight. The freshman fifteen is real. Don't lose your favorite stuffed animal right before college because you will be devastated, but it won't be the end of the world. But you will make amazing friends, have amazing experiences, and become a better and more mature person by going, so make the most of it.

Cassandra

The most unique aspect of Marist College that I found during my college search was its accessibility. Marist College offers a wide range of different courses, majors, and minors with Professors ready to help you. Professors are easily accessible to speak to as well as professional guidance, extra help, counseling, eateries, and facilities throughout the campus. Marist College is truly built to serve the students.

Dear High-School-Me, Take a deep breath: you will survive. I know high school is tough; it's bound to be! You have gone through standardized testing, social cliques, first kisses, first dates, finding your niche, late nights, and the occasional mental breakdown. Because of all you've been through, I understand that the idea of college is daunting and you do all you can to avoid the subject when anyone brings it up. This is all I want you to know: you will be fine! The transition into college is going to be a tough one just like any other transitions you've faced. Being away from home is the toughest part but you will soon make this new school your second home. You're also entering a new crop of unknown faces but you will find your support system. College is NOT high school. Do not be afraid of not wearing the right thing or not saying the right thing either because college is where you learn to make mistakes. Most importantly, college is where you learn to turn mistakes into learning experiences. This transition will take time but it is the best transition yet. Be confident.

I wish I had known a little bit more about my financial standpoint and the aid I was being offered. Although I received sufficient aid, I still find myself getting worked up over my future financial transition into life after college and my expenses on top of my loans.

Brenna

It's not about being "cool," it's about being yourself and finding what makes you happy. This is the best advice I could have given to me impressionable, confused high school senior self. It took me too long into my transition into college to realize that it does not matter if you fit in with the "cool crowd," but that you surround yourself with the people and activities that make you happy. Find others with similar interests, and form relationships with them, as they will help you grow into a happier version of yourself. I would also advise myself to more thorougly consider employment opportunities in certain fields before choosing a major. If I went back, I would choose a more practical major than communications, like math or business where there are more higher-income employment opportunities.

Many students come in as freshmen already knowing people from their hometowns, making it difficult to make new friends, as groups are very clique-y. I also did not know how wealthy the general population of Marist is.

The attitude of some of the more wealthy students at the school is one of the worst parts, because many act very privileged and are clearly not there because they want to better their future, but because their parents are paying for them to be there.

Antonela

Marist is known for their strong programs in fashion, science and much more. They give students powerful learning experiences and internship opportunities.

If I were to go back to when I was a high school senior and tell myself one thing, I would tell myself to work extremely hard. In college you can be easily persuaded to socialize, go out with your friends and pretty much do anything besides your work. However having experienced my first year in college, I would advise myself that I have to have self-motivation and the will power to say no whenever I think about not doing school work. It seems okay to do everything that everyone else is doing however because of my major, biomedical sciences, I cannot allow myself to fall behind because it is important for my future academic and professional career to do well in school and try my hardest. Lastly, I would tell myself that missing an event with your friends a few times or not hanging out with your friends as often is worth it when you see your hard work paying off when you get your grades. My future is more imporant than anything that I might feel like I'm missing out on.

A student who is motivated, strong willed and excited about college. The Marist community goes above and beyond to make every student excited to learn and love the school. You have to be willing to be open minded to other students and embrace every experience given to you.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.