Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Antonela

Marist is known for their strong programs in fashion, science and much more. They give students powerful learning experiences and internship opportunities.

If I were to go back to when I was a high school senior and tell myself one thing, I would tell myself to work extremely hard. In college you can be easily persuaded to socialize, go out with your friends and pretty much do anything besides your work. However having experienced my first year in college, I would advise myself that I have to have self-motivation and the will power to say no whenever I think about not doing school work. It seems okay to do everything that everyone else is doing however because of my major, biomedical sciences, I cannot allow myself to fall behind because it is important for my future academic and professional career to do well in school and try my hardest. Lastly, I would tell myself that missing an event with your friends a few times or not hanging out with your friends as often is worth it when you see your hard work paying off when you get your grades. My future is more imporant than anything that I might feel like I'm missing out on.

A student who is motivated, strong willed and excited about college. The Marist community goes above and beyond to make every student excited to learn and love the school. You have to be willing to be open minded to other students and embrace every experience given to you.

Marist College is indescribable; there are so many opportunities here that words cannot express.

Dear Nicole, Stay true to yourself and do not ever give up on your dreams. Believe in yourself without question. Sometimes life gets hard, but do not let it ever doubt yourself. You know who you are and what you are capable of doing. Stand proud, even if you have to stand alone. You've got the world in your hands, do not let is slip; hang on tight and strive for your dreams. You have so much potential and have come so far on your own. But, do not be afraid of asking for help. Do whatever it takes to fulfill your dreams that will make you happy. Study hard, but don't forget to have fun. Put yourself out there; take a chance. Love your better self, Nicole

Those who would like to attend Marist College should be those individuals who are driven. Yes, Marist has a rigoros reputation, however, this college helps students discover who they are and provides the necessities required in order to go above one's own expectations. If you are motivated to fulfill your dreams, then Marist is right for you.

Damion

At 38 years old, I have a wife, two children, a beautiful home and I wear a tie to work every day. By all standards, we look like the perfect family and we are with one exception. I work 60-70 hours per week and rarely am able to spend time with my family. I am present for the family pictures and summer trips to the beach but I am missing the everyday lives of my growing children. The reason I work so hard is because I spend my post-high school years “playing it by ear” and waiting to “see what happens. I spent years with no clear focus or path for success. I had planned to go to school during this time but with a young marriage and suddenly a child on the way, I needed to jump into a career to support my growing family. Damion, twenty years younger, you have every opportunity to make solid choices for your future, to make a plan and not be distracted. The most important thing you can do is focus on getting your degree so that you can build a strong foundation for your life and for your family.

Oliver

Marist started as a Catholic school, and Catholicism is still the dominant philosophical force on campus. They have a chapel and regular masses, and there are Christmas trees in every building during the holiday season. It's nice to see an institution which respects all religions but is unapologetic in its focus on Christianity.

Don't talk - just listen. You're not ready to go to college. I know Mom and Dad have drilled it into your head that people who take a year off are losers, but guess what: you need a break. Go hitchhike out west or live with your sister in London for a year. You're 18 years old and you're starting to crack from real and imagined pressures - if you go to the safety school you got into, it's going to end badly. Trust me; I've been there. Oh, and all those people you think are so important? That girl you're so nuts for? Forget them. People change. They'll change, and you'll change, and in two years you'll have more in common with complete strangers than with this bunch. Your life is about to get interesting whether you heed my advice or not, but if I were you and could do it all again - I'd take the year. Go have some adventures.

Rebecca

I love Marist I really do. It is not a super small school or a large school so that you can still meet new people but you'll usually never have a walk to class or to dinner with out knowing anyone. I think the best thing about the school is the campus/location. Marist is located right on the Hudson River and you can easily go down and spend an afternoon by the water. Also, the sunsets are amazing and the campus is beautifully landscaped with green grass and flowers everywhere. One thing that I would change about the school is the food in the cafeteria. Although there is a fairly large selection I would definitively not mind if they had more variety of food and maybe had some healthier choices. The school is run very well and the professors are great and really put in the extra effort if you need help. I have very little that I dislike about the school and if you give it a chance you will probably fall in love with it too!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There are a lot of sports teams at Marist. Our women's basketball team is one of the best in the nation and they are a lot of fun to go to. We also have a swim team, soccer, volleyball, water polo, lacrosse, crew, and many others. Although we have a football team and there are a lot of students on the team they have not played very well in the last few years so there is not a lot of student support. However, the team has been growing and they are getting better each year.

The most popular groups at school are probably campus ministry, the dance club, the theatre club, the music department, and the booster club. There are a large amount of clubs on campus and even though there are clubs that have more members than others there is a club or organization for everyone. There are sororities and fraternities on campus but only about 10% of students are members. Marist is mainly a bar school on the weekends but if you don't drink the student activity committee screens new movies every Friday and Saturday night and there is a mall and movie theater near by along with on campus plays, bowling, and 24 hour diners.

The academics at Marist give students a really well rounded education. There are a lot of core classes that students have to take that are unrelated to the major. However, the professors really try to help students with those classes since they are not major classes. I am a fashion merchandising student which is one of the best programs in the country. The fashion department is actually the only one where students have to submit an additional application and it is one of the most selective to get in. All of the professors have worked in the industry so they are great connections and mentors to have. During class they can help relate the material to how we will use it post graduation and it is a very fun program to be a part of.

jamie

I'm obsessed with Marist and it was the perfect choice for me. I've made friends that will last forever here. Marist also has an amazing abroad program. You can go study anywhere in the world for a semester and Marist will help you do it. I'm going to Australia next semester and I cannot wait. This is the time to take advantage of the fact that we're free to travel the world if we choose.

It is an semi-expensive private school so many people here are in the upper middle class but Marist is doing a good job in trying to become more diverse. We have a big fashion program here too so you'll see a lot of really well dressed girls in your 8am classes and feel sloppy in your pajamas.

Danielle

Dear High School Danielle, Breathe! Everything is going to be alright! Living away from home, saying goodbye to High School friends, and ending a relationship with your first love are not the end; they are the beginning of a brand new chapter in your life. A chapter where you are the star, and are able to control your destiny. Transitions are always difficult, but the one you are about to make will forever change you in a beautiful way. You will meet new friends (some who will become friends for life), take academic courses with professors who will inspire you, and be a part of a tight-knit community on campus that will encourage you to better the lives of others. As FDR once said, "there is nothing to fear, but fear itself." There is an entire world of opportunity awaiting you at Marist. One of the reasons why you have been successful so far is your tenacity, and the fact you never give up once you set your mind to something. I can promise you that type of drive will guarantee your success at Marist College. Good luck, although I know you won't need it! Love, "Future" Danielle

The lack of cultural diversity. Most of the students who attend Marist College are from the Northeast: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut etc. These students are also mostly white, and come from similar background. Although Marist has made great strides at recruiting a more diverse student body from other states and countries, I felt my cultural experience fell flat.

The most frusturating part about Marist College is the administration. It is nearly impossible to register for classes, change classes, request transcripts etc., without jumping through a variety of hoops and hurdles at this school. Even career and financial services are mismanaged. They do not provide the proper help to guide students due to the red tape.

HAH! This is a hilarious question because it asks, "If you're awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, what are you doing?" Personally, if I was awake, I'd have to get up in like 3 hours for crew practice, so it'd better be worth it. I'd be studying. The majority of the student body you can count on to be celebrating Tipsy Tuesday at The Loft, a local bar. Kids whip out their fakes and go and get pissed drunk nearly every tuesday night. I've woken up to drunk friends slamming on our bedroom door, waking us up, when they come back. There's really nothing to do off campus. Poughkeepsie is a really sketchy area. Fraternities are only there for parties. They dont seem to have any other presence. Athletic events are somewhat popular, our football teams sucks, so nobody goes to that. Soccer people go to, and basketball people go to. Students do in fact leave their doors open but most people arent outgoing so unless you walk up to them, they will NEVER extend themselves to you.

The Marist stereotype is "long island rich kids" and japs. That's exactly what it is. Many will tell you that Marist is a preppy school, not at all. 65%-70% of kids here are trashy...and they are clearly loaded with money. They're mostly self absorbed and competitive, maybe it's because it's freshman year, but the majority of the student body is immature. Welcome to college

The academics are challenging, but not as challenging as I thought it would be...I'm not as academically busy as I would've thought I'd be..many professors still don't know my name...students are sometimes competitive, but never have intellectual convos outside of class...the academic requirements depend on your major. In the athletic training department, its really competitive, and there are a TON of requirements.. especially if you're thinking of going to PT school..Marist makes it almost impossible for you to have a life if you're an athletic training major unfortunately. In terms of getting in, its not too hard at all. The education isnt geared towards getting a job at all. It's just education for education's sake..

Most of them are really just air heads who have been spoiled and sheltered their whole lives. Hearing them speak can be painful. Not all of them are like this though. A lot of kids I met are extremely nice, intelligent, and willing to help. I've met some really great people in class.

I would tell myself to pick Siena (like I originally did) and stay there. I absolutely loved that school and I'd even be willing to choose a different major just so I could go back and choose to stay there. I love that school so much.

I wish I knew that it would be extremely hard to meet people. I also wish I knew that I would never get a chance to live on campus like I had at my former school my freshman year. I wish I knew how difficult and demanding the teachers could be.

Laura

Most of all, I enjoy the scenery. Marist college is located off the shore of the beautiful Hudson River. Not only is it the view of the river, but since Marist is in the Hudson Valley, there is a gorgeous view of the mountians and hills that surround the the college. Walking around the campus on a peaceful fall or spring day is nothing short of delightful. It makes the whole college experiance seem not as overwhelming. One can walk around campus and simply clear their mind. It is most enjoyable.

If I could hop in Doc Brown's DeLorean and give my high school self a piece of advice it would be to take my education more seriously. When I graduated from high school in 2005, I thought that it would be best to take some time off from school and begin working. My mind set was, "If I could save money for my eduation first, it would be easier for me to pay for my expenses". I began working that summer I graduated. I lost sight of how important it is to have a college eduation . I looked at my friends and saw how most of them had already graduated from two year colleges and were either moving on to a four year or even moving on to a new job, I realized I had to go back. Now I feel old. When I look around me in the classroom and the average age is 18, it makes me feel like I wasted my time. If I would have just gone straight to college from high school I would have my four year degree already and would be working in the field I am truly passionate about.

I knew that college was going to be expensive, but I was unaware of how hard it actually is to find financial aid and scholarships. If I'd have known this sooner, I would have tried to better prepare myself for the financial hardship that would accompany my acceptance into this wonderful college. Anyone can tell you how a four year college is going to be expensive. Unfortunatley it is not until the bill arrives that you can grasp a true realization of how an education will impact your wallet.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.