Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otis College of Art and Design

christelle

Otis is a good school for aspiring artists and designers looking to further their secondary education. Otis has very comfortable class sizes with professors that actually take the time to talk to you and assess your work personally. They give the kind of hands-on critique that is essential for young artists and designers to grow in their professional practice.

Yueping

Otis College of Art and Design is a small private college but very professional in art majors. It has 7 big majors: Architecture( include Landscape and Interiors) Communication Arts(Graphic Design, Illustration) Digital Media(Animation, Game and Entertainment Design) Fashion Design(include Custom Design) Fine Arts(Painting, Photography, Sculpture) Product Design Toy Design The most popular major in Otis is Fashion since it is the best fashion school in California. Toy Design is also great. There are less than five colleges in America have Toy Design major, so it might be easier for these students to find a job after graduation. In the freshman year which also called the foundation year in Otis, students do not go to any major but focus on basic art skills such as drawing and painting, building forms, Life drawing, and the principal of design. Some of my friends considered it as the waste of time, but to me, I think it is necessary for the school to use this way to make sure that every student gets enough knowledge and be ready to move on to the next step. Students will have a field trip to visit different majors at the end of the foundation year. It is time to decide which one might be suitable for you and make your final decision. I think most of the students can get what they want, at least I did. The major study begins at the sophomore year. Fashion Design is about sewing, draping, pattern making, design and illustration, textile science, and model drawing. As a fashion student, I can tell you that every day is very busy if you choose fashion. Other major students might have at least one day off in a week, but we don't. And when you go to the junior year, you probably have no time to sleep. It doesn't matter, you can still take a nap. Teachers are nice and friendly in general case, however, be careful if they are unhappy on that day because sometimes they might argue with all your designs for no reason. Well, as we all know, artists are very emotional, so just work hard and listen to the right things that you teachers had told you, and also take some time to communicate with your teachers so that they can know you better, then you will be fine. In each class, we only have about 15 students so that teachers can take good care of every student in the class. We have many chances to do the presentation. I used to hate it but feel much better now. Presentation is an important skill in our life, so if you go to Otis, take benefit of it, and you can make yourself more confident and outgoing. Many companies will send people to our school and interview with students every year. You can have a try in the sophomore year, but companies prefer junior students since they get more training. Otis has dorms on campus. Because the school only have about 2,000 students, so we do not need many dorms. All dorms are in one building. Each dorm has two bedrooms and two restrooms. Four students live in one dorm. The cafeteria is on the first floor. If you want to cook by yourself, you can go to the top floor, and there is a public kitchen. Well, just remember to take your cooking tools with you when you leave, because they can disappear tomorrow, or may be used by somebody else. One good thing, we have an art supply store on campus. Otis is near LAX, and all the art supply stores are far away from school. It is so annoying to travel a lot if we just need a pencil. We complain about that, and finally, we had a store on campus last year. Thanks to the school. Otis is very expensive. The tuition is about 40,000 per year. If you live on campus, the dorm fee is about 10,000 per year, and you have to buy the meal plan, which is also very expensive. I live off-campus near the school with my friends. It is much cheaper. What I want to say is that, be ready to spend your money like throw rubbish if you choose Otis. And what I also want to say is that you will learn a lot and become talented if you love art and work hard in Otis.

Daria

Otis is a pretty chill school. It might not be for everyone, but most of the students and teachers are really supportive and great to be around. It has one of two toy design programs in the world, and if you do your job and do the work, you'll do well in the industry.

Richard

Otis had always been a dream school of mine ever since my early years of highschool. I've always dreamt of becoming a student and eventually graduating there as an alumni. That dream has now become a reality because I have been accepted to Otis. Although I cannot give an overall opinion, thus far I have seen and received nothing but open arms from everyone. I am excited and thrilled to soon become myself an Otis alumni!

Tyler

I am currently attending this school, and I just finished my foundation year. The staff here is fantastic and are extremely supportive. You get experience and training by professionals working in the field. The work is hard at times and can be stressful. There are many nights you will be up til 3 am, but it is all worth it. Because at the end of the day, or night, you feel accomplished and you love what you do. You can not imagine how quickly you learn here. I was amazed at the improvement my art made in one year. Not to mention having on campus housing is extremely useful when yo have a ton of supplies to carry.The community here is so welcoming I constantly have people waving at me, and I met them two days ago. We are a tight knit community who love what we do. I am so glad I went to this school

Sarai

Otis is a school filled with nothing but opportunities. You just need to be determined to chase after them. Only students who are willing to sacrifice certain things will be able to survive at their time at Otis. Drawing doodles will not pass here. This is the big leagues.

Geneva

The campus is quite small, however this allows for smaller class sizes where students can get more attention as well as network and create bonds between each other. There is a good amount of clubs and most of the students I have encountered are extremely friendly and welcoming. So far, it has been an overall positive experience going here and I would definitely recommend Otis to anyone interested in an arts education.

Tyler

Otis is a difficult school. Do not think that you are coming here for a free and easy ride. tis school will stress you out. You may not get sleep , you make work for 15 hours just to get a C on an assignment, you may not have time to even talk to old friends. But you will love every moment yo are here. I look at my art work and I am proud of my improvement, and I have made so many friends here. I may get stressed out but everyone else here is also stressed out and that kind of comforting. Trust me, Otis is a hard school, but it is a god one. Don't come here if you are not prepared to work.

Janet

Otis is a school for creative, out-of-the-box thinkers.

Otis is a school for creative, out-of-the-box thinkers.

My classmates are helpful and know how to prioritize school and fun.

After going through a few years at Otis College of art and design, I would tell myself to trust the timing of your life. Going into college, we all worry about internships and job placement, but just know, that if you work hard and focus on one thing at a time, opportunities will come if you seek it out at the right time. Also, don't forget to have fun along your college journey- my dad passed away just before my last semester of college, and I told myself that it is OK to take a break from my crazy schedule for myself. I stopped interning and let myself focus on school, and begin the process of being able to go forward from my loss. The reality is, life does not stop for anyone, so don't fret about the future so much. Stop along the way to saturate your life with experiences as well.

Hana

It is all about pushing your thoughts to the limits and becoming better at thinking before making.

I was a great high school student—I always did my homework, I did well on tests, I respected my teachers, and I was even Valedictorian of my senior class. But I was also reckless and did less than I could to better my future. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to go above and beyond expectations: to do more than was expected of her. I would tell her to get a job and save up for college; to avoid unsafe behaviors because none of it was ever worth it; to be more involved in her school and community since the world is a big place and she should be involved in it. I would tell her not to waste time being around people who didn't accept her for who she is, because after high school those people just fall away. I would tell her to challenge herself to be the best she can possibly be.

Otis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.