Otis College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Otis College of Art and Design

Stacia

Otis is a private school and it feels specialized. The classes are small, with a personal touch so I get a lot out of the interaction. We are well-known within the local community so we are involved in local events. Otis has a reputation for being elite with highly skilled artists which is a good bonus to have on your resume. We all have to go through a foundation year that teaches us the entire spectrum of art which I believes builds character and adds to the uniqueness of our own development as an artist. The instructors are highly accomplished artists themselves which makes it an honor to learn from them. The facility itself is creative, beautiful, modern and inspiring. There is a gallery where our art is displayed so it's motivating to be immersed in art. It's a great atmosphere for learning the arts.

Sarai

Otis is a school filled with nothing but opportunities. You just need to be determined to chase after them. Only students who are willing to sacrifice certain things will be able to survive at their time at Otis. Drawing doodles will not pass here. This is the big leagues.

christelle

Otis is a good school for aspiring artists and designers looking to further their secondary education. Otis has very comfortable class sizes with professors that actually take the time to talk to you and assess your work personally. They give the kind of hands-on critique that is essential for young artists and designers to grow in their professional practice.

Daria

Otis is a pretty chill school. It might not be for everyone, but most of the students and teachers are really supportive and great to be around. It has one of two toy design programs in the world, and if you do your job and do the work, you'll do well in the industry.

Geneva

The campus is quite small, however this allows for smaller class sizes where students can get more attention as well as network and create bonds between each other. There is a good amount of clubs and most of the students I have encountered are extremely friendly and welcoming. So far, it has been an overall positive experience going here and I would definitely recommend Otis to anyone interested in an arts education.

Yueping

Otis College of Art and Design is a small private college but very professional in art majors. It has 7 big majors: Architecture( include Landscape and Interiors) Communication Arts(Graphic Design, Illustration) Digital Media(Animation, Game and Entertainment Design) Fashion Design(include Custom Design) Fine Arts(Painting, Photography, Sculpture) Product Design Toy Design The most popular major in Otis is Fashion since it is the best fashion school in California. Toy Design is also great. There are less than five colleges in America have Toy Design major, so it might be easier for these students to find a job after graduation. In the freshman year which also called the foundation year in Otis, students do not go to any major but focus on basic art skills such as drawing and painting, building forms, Life drawing, and the principal of design. Some of my friends considered it as the waste of time, but to me, I think it is necessary for the school to use this way to make sure that every student gets enough knowledge and be ready to move on to the next step. Students will have a field trip to visit different majors at the end of the foundation year. It is time to decide which one might be suitable for you and make your final decision. I think most of the students can get what they want, at least I did. The major study begins at the sophomore year. Fashion Design is about sewing, draping, pattern making, design and illustration, textile science, and model drawing. As a fashion student, I can tell you that every day is very busy if you choose fashion. Other major students might have at least one day off in a week, but we don't. And when you go to the junior year, you probably have no time to sleep. It doesn't matter, you can still take a nap. Teachers are nice and friendly in general case, however, be careful if they are unhappy on that day because sometimes they might argue with all your designs for no reason. Well, as we all know, artists are very emotional, so just work hard and listen to the right things that you teachers had told you, and also take some time to communicate with your teachers so that they can know you better, then you will be fine. In each class, we only have about 15 students so that teachers can take good care of every student in the class. We have many chances to do the presentation. I used to hate it but feel much better now. Presentation is an important skill in our life, so if you go to Otis, take benefit of it, and you can make yourself more confident and outgoing. Many companies will send people to our school and interview with students every year. You can have a try in the sophomore year, but companies prefer junior students since they get more training. Otis has dorms on campus. Because the school only have about 2,000 students, so we do not need many dorms. All dorms are in one building. Each dorm has two bedrooms and two restrooms. Four students live in one dorm. The cafeteria is on the first floor. If you want to cook by yourself, you can go to the top floor, and there is a public kitchen. Well, just remember to take your cooking tools with you when you leave, because they can disappear tomorrow, or may be used by somebody else. One good thing, we have an art supply store on campus. Otis is near LAX, and all the art supply stores are far away from school. It is so annoying to travel a lot if we just need a pencil. We complain about that, and finally, we had a store on campus last year. Thanks to the school. Otis is very expensive. The tuition is about 40,000 per year. If you live on campus, the dorm fee is about 10,000 per year, and you have to buy the meal plan, which is also very expensive. I live off-campus near the school with my friends. It is much cheaper. What I want to say is that, be ready to spend your money like throw rubbish if you choose Otis. And what I also want to say is that you will learn a lot and become talented if you love art and work hard in Otis.

Tyler

Otis is a difficult school. Do not think that you are coming here for a free and easy ride. tis school will stress you out. You may not get sleep , you make work for 15 hours just to get a C on an assignment, you may not have time to even talk to old friends. But you will love every moment yo are here. I look at my art work and I am proud of my improvement, and I have made so many friends here. I may get stressed out but everyone else here is also stressed out and that kind of comforting. Trust me, Otis is a hard school, but it is a god one. Don't come here if you are not prepared to work.

Iris

They've got an amazing facility. I love that I have access to several studios and can work in various mediums outside of class. I am also a huge fan of their food. They are very good at providing vegetarian and vegan options at a relatively low price compared to Trader Joe's or Whole foods. Its a very quiet and clean campus.

Reimi

I think that Otis is a really good school if you want to learn the technical aspects of each major. The first year is also very focused on the traditional aspect of the arts and there is little room for personal expression im class, from what I have experienced. But they are really good at teaching the foundations of art.

Tyler

I am currently attending this school, and I just finished my foundation year. The staff here is fantastic and are extremely supportive. You get experience and training by professionals working in the field. The work is hard at times and can be stressful. There are many nights you will be up til 3 am, but it is all worth it. Because at the end of the day, or night, you feel accomplished and you love what you do. You can not imagine how quickly you learn here. I was amazed at the improvement my art made in one year. Not to mention having on campus housing is extremely useful when yo have a ton of supplies to carry.The community here is so welcoming I constantly have people waving at me, and I met them two days ago. We are a tight knit community who love what we do. I am so glad I went to this school

Richard

Otis had always been a dream school of mine ever since my early years of highschool. I've always dreamt of becoming a student and eventually graduating there as an alumni. That dream has now become a reality because I have been accepted to Otis. Although I cannot give an overall opinion, thus far I have seen and received nothing but open arms from everyone. I am excited and thrilled to soon become myself an Otis alumni!

Sasha

My first year at Otis back in 2016 was soul crushing. After initially gaining a group of friends, eventually they started inviting me to less things and hanging out with each other and leaving me out. I remember having to grocery shop, and even thought it's not safe to really go alone, even during the day, I had to because no one else was willing to shop with me. I was so lonely, and every time I went outside I was alone and scared. I thought, "Ok, I'll just focus on classes" but the problem is that the learning was very hands off. It felt like the teachers just gave us the tool, gave a basic overview, and then told us to figure it out on their own. I had a teacher who literally wouldn't answer my questions after I asked 3 times. One time I was trying to get her to help me and she literally said "As I'm sure you know, my job is very hard, I'm not used to teaching freshmen, only seniors" Ok, get a new job. It's not my fault that you don't know what you're doing. Don't make it the problem of the freshmen who are drowning in debt to learn here, only for you to expect them to figure everything out on their own. She wouldn't even let me ask for help from the other students. So, my friends were ditching me, I wasn't learning anything, and I was going deep into debt. I dropped out in October and have basically been afraid of college until now. I don't know what the problem with the teachers were, it's not like they don't make money, I looked it up and on average Otis instructors' lowest paid salary is $48 per hour, so I don't know why they had such a hands off approach to teaching. Hopefully Paradise Valley Community College has better teachers where I'll ACTUALLY get my money's worth. I hate Otis, only go here if you're already talented and industry ready as a freshman, that's the only way you'll succeed.

Zannia

Overall the school itself is charming and full of life. Despite how small it is there’s a great sense of community, to which the students are able to do as they please and most facilities are open 24/7 if need be. The true flaw comes in the professors that the school takes in; they’re industry professionals, but they don’t know how to teach a class most of the time, no matter how long they’ve been there. I wish that was better, but they do have great tips on how to be in the industry and everyone is driven to make their dreams come true.

Raymond

I believe that Otis College of Art and Design is a good school for those who are wishing to simply learn art theory and history. However, if you wanted to go to this school to hone your craft as an artist, I would highly recommend you be prepared for just how much extra work that they pile onto you. They overload the typical student with classes such as math and Creative Action Integrated Learning, which are simply there to give academic credits and not help you grow as an artist aspiring to make it in the industry.

Alana

I think it’s a great school although it wasn’t my first choice I’m glad I ended up there. I love the class sizes because they’re very small and I like how small the campus is as well. It allows me to get a more personal and hands on approach to doing what I love. The teachers are also great and they are in the industry so the networking system at otis is amazing.

Alessa

If you want to go to an overpriced school where staff and administration hate their jobs so much that they’re only setting is a**hole then come to Otis! We have overpriced materials and rude staff members, and although we’re celebrating 100 years it still feels like they’re just getting the hang of it. Come visit we’d love to show you our cluttered classrooms and tell you all the people we can get you jobs with.

Nina

The college is a great option for artistic individuals because it offers opportunities to students not offered else where. Its a great place to build long lasting friendships with other creative individuals. The facilities have equipment for students to use while on campus and the college offers other resources to students.

Alyson

Otis is an amazing art school and easily one of the top 3 schools for fashion design but I do wish that with the fashion program that they focused a bit more on digital design and skills. I also wish that they taught us about sustainable practices.

Richard

It is a great school! All the people there are helpful and kind. The teacher truly care are there for you every step of the way. The classes I take are engaging and meaningful. My fellow classmates are there to help and the food is great. I haven't regretted my decision yet