San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Point Loma Nazarene University

Sam

Point Loma is an awesome college for someone who wants to live close to the beach, be in a small environment while still in a big city, and to attend classes where one gets individual attention.

I enjoyed meeting new people, it's a great experience. Living on your own, experiencing new things, and learning in classes everyday has been very valuable. I am so excited for the upcoming year, where I will discover new things, meet new people, and learn more in order to make me a better person.

If you enjoy a small learning environment, aren't a big partier, and love the beach, then you should attend this school, it has one of the most amazing campuses ever.

Shannon

The profesors really care, and are so helpful. They've helped us to find scholarships, encouraged us to join clubs, and really listened to us. They really get to know us all, not by number, and not even only by name and face; they talk to us, and know our personlities and goals.

I would explain dorm life, because last August, when I moved into this noisy, crowded, and lively communal living environment, I had a hard time adjusting. I hadn?t anticipated the lack of privacy, hadn?t expected the constant action buzzing in the hallways, and worst, hadn?t realized a bathroom no longer means a haven of seclusion and peace, but a bustling arena of giggling girls, temperamental showers, and the various mingling odors of strangers. It took but a day before I began to long for my bathroom, blessedly clean and non-florescent lit. I mourned the loss of my closet, larger than this coffin stuck to the wall in which I was supposed to stuff all my things. I craved my old bed, with a mattress softer than a graham cracker. And I missed my privacy. However, as I became better friends with my hall-mates, solitude became not only unimportant, but unwanted; I began to appreciate the camaraderie and support and friendship I was around all day and night. I love my dorm now, but I wish I would have understood how positive of an experience it is sooner.

It's right on the beach; literally, you can see the beach from some dorm windows. The weather is so perfect most of the time, that i usually do my homework right there on the beach!

Natalee

Our school is best known for their Christian views. Each department incoorporates the Word into their studies. The community is so close-knit that students have professors home phone numbers and are invited, regularly, to their houses for dinner. I will also say, it is definitly known for the spectacular view, a panoramic view of the ocean. Can't beat that. Overall, I truly appreciate every aspect of the school: the christian community, the faculty, the education, the student life, ministry outreach, sports and of course the view.

Point Loma was one of my first choices for many reasons. It was a small student to teacher ratio, it was a university based on moral religious views that focsed on providing a strong spiritual community for students, alum, and people in the surrounding community. The kinesiology department is very reputable, the campus couldnt be any more gorgeous and the internship opportunities for all the majors is outstanding! I am proud to say I will be a graduate of PLNU. As the dean states in our mission statement, "We will teach, shape and send."

Freshman year, no car, more rules than I originally was given at home and a private Christian University, is tough, but challenging for a reason. I did not fare well with that year and I think if I went into it more open minded I would have been more accepting and understanding to the reason why they created a community like that. It was not to treat us like children, but to prepare us for a world without those values and morals. We were required to respect, love, accept responsability and lead a life that God wantes us too. After the first year, things will get a lot easier and I will start to find respect for why the school goes about the community life the way they did. At times I felt as though I was in a bubble, but now I look back and am thankful for that opportunity to be surrounded with people who live for the Lord and want to live a life of purpose and succeed in a college and community based on similar morals and values!

Jonathan

My school has a very small student to teach ratio which allows the teacher to get to know each individual. This allows us to have more help on topics we are confused on. It has showed to raise grades and motivate students. Our class average is usually no more than 20 per class (if that).

I would tell myself to learn to manage my time better and use it for a better cause. For example, I feel that a great amount of my time during freshman year in college was wasted on video games and socializing. I was very immature. However, at the end of my sophmore year I began to realize that I could get more satisfaction from volunteering at the homeless shelter and the Emergency department at UCSD Hillcrest. I would tell my young self to get his act together and to do more for the community. We only get one chance at changing the world and we have a better chance at doing that if we start early. Organization is key and if I had learned that before entering college I would've been able to help many more people in need.

The view is heavenly. We are 5 minutes away from the beach (walking) and the ocean view is to die for. The breeze is perfect during warm days and it never gets to hot or cold. It is the best climate and great for surfing.

Jillian

Being a beautiful campus surrounded by the amazing and powerful ocean waters. Having awesome surf less then 100ft from the dorms. The nursing department is very well respected along with the busisness and science fields. Majority of our professors have PhD's in their field of study and continue to do research and outside activities beyond teaching. We are also known for our affiliation with the Nazarene Church. We have an amazing campus with wonderful people that are here for the right reasons; students and faculty.

Any college is better than no college. Remember to appreciate the value of education you will be getting. Top three wisdom bombs; know your money, manage your time, and get a little crazy. Your senior year apply for as many scholarships as possible. Any college you go to will be expensive, but it will be the best investment that you make for yourself. The less debt you have, the less financial stress you will have. This is YOUR education, even if your parents are helping you out, it is still your responsibility as a student to be aware of tuition, loans, book cost, and other expenses to prepare you for your future.Time management is the hardest adjustment but necessary. There are so many ways to get involved with at any school and making sure your education is the priority will give you time for other things. Set goals for yourself each semester. Remember you are only a college student once and it is a great time to get a little crazy and do exciting things with friends you may not ever do again. Have fun, be safe, and don?t get caught. Anything worth having is worth working for.

A person that wants to be involved in a community with accountablity and purpose will do well here. Someone who may or may not know exactly what they want to do they will have many options and direction to lead them the right way. One who love Jesus or one who is searching out the understanding of Jesus's love will appreciate this campus community. Someone who loves the ocean and small town feel, but still wants to experience the city from a distance. These are all types of people that would enjoy PLNU.

Tyler

Point Loma provides students with a positive academic, social, spiritual, emotional, physical, and intellectual experience that is unmatched by any other university.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, knowing what I know now, I would stress two components of transitioning to college. The first would be how academic excellence in high school greatly affects the future burden of financial responsibility. I would advise myself that a stronger focus on academics will open doors to better financial support and would alleviate sleepless nights worrying about heavy debt. The second would be to utilize a strong and healthy study habit that balances academic and social education that goes hand-in-hand with the college experience.

The worst facet of Point Loma is the financial expense. Although the scholastic and social experience is worth the cost, financial aid would make the experience much more enjoyable.

Shaina

PLNU has a great Nuring and buisness program. This school is also known for its great surf spots. Although it is a private school, it is a public place to go to the beach to surf, anyone can drive on campus to surf. Point Loma is also known for its gorgeous campus.

If could go back in time and talk to myself as a High School senior, there are many things and advice that I would tell myself. The First thing i would say is to apply for scholorships! I did apply to a few scholarships, but not as much as I should have. Another thing I would say is no hanging out till all of your home work is finished and that I have studied for all my tests. In my senior year, I was an average student and got decent grades. I should have studied a lot more and partied less. In my senior year of highschool, I partied a lot and went to raves.; it was the biggest regret my life. I would also have spent more time with family and close friends more before i left. I would love to go back in time to tell my self that school and family is first priority, then comes friends and fun.

Point Loma Nazarene University is a very prestigious school as well as a very beautiful school. The education and classes are great; the teachers here are very friendly and helpful and most of the people here are too. The school is located on a ciff that outlooks the beautifull ocean and has great surf. Being a surfer, I love to walk down to surf when ever i want. Over all PLNU is a grea school; great education, great people, beautifull campus, and great surf.

Alex

If I could describe Point Loma in one sentence, it would be to say that Point Loma is everything that I wasn't expecting. It is accademically challenging and rewarding, it is socially friendly, and the living situation is better that it first seems. The general attitude of the people that attend Point Loma can be described in one word: satisfied.

If I were a highschool senior entering into Point Loma, I would tell myself about how to not let my social life overtake my schoolwork life. To invest in healthy friendships rather than shallow ones. To put as much into the schoolwork as I want to get out of it. I would tell myself to study early rather than procrastinate. I would say how important the material that I will be learning in class is. I would tell myself that it's not all about looking good for the people around me, but rather to work hard and be a upright and moral person. The most important thing that I would tell myself if I were a highschool senior going into freshman year at Point Loma, is to truly try my hardest in everything that I invest my time into: schoolwork, healthy relationships, and growing as a person morally.

The type of person that should attend Point Loma Nazarene University would be an outgoing, accademically excited, outdoor oriented person who wants to be pushed in their religious beliefs and education. The typical student at Point Loma loves to do things outdoors and is very friendly, but also is very involved in their schoolwork. The students at Point Loma truly enjoy attending the school because of the overall friendliness of the people that attend the school.

Erica

Take freshman year seriously, it's important to build a good GPA straight from the beginning.

The small population allows for a better learning environment.

Alex

If I were to give advice to a highschool senior, looking back on when I graduated, I would tell him to take college seriously, and to make the most out of every oppurtunity and disapointment. When I came to Point Loma, I assumed it would be just like highschool and that I could just cruise along, little did I know how wrong I really was. It was only after a year of bad grades was it till I realized that college wasn't all about having fun. Once I enveloped myself in the school work and built on the good relationships in my life, did I start feeling fulfilled with my college expirience. Putting in the time and effort into each class pays off in the end, with both grades and knowledge of the material. Working on healthy relationships will only make you a stronger person. Taking the oppurtunites that life throws at you, and making the most out of them is how you learn. Handling the disapointments and learning from them makes you learn how to cope with situations. The more you really involve yourself in whatever you do, the more you can take away from those expiriences.

The fact that Point Loma is small, it allows for professors to really engage in the students work. The amount of work that is usefull is significant compared to the "busy work." The tutors are extremely helpful here. The on campus housing is really nice and accomidating to students in each and every way.

The worst thing about the school is the fact that the professors care so much about the students: they will not let you slack off, even if you think its in your best interest. The fact that they care so much about the students seems bad at one time, but is inevitably a great thing. They push you to succeed.

Point Loma Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.