San Jose, CA
San Jose State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Jose State University

Melissa

At San Jose, the diversity is amazing! There are wonderful people from all around the world here. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and wants to share the experience with you. San Jose is absolutely beautiful all year around. They offer something for everyone and if you can't find something that interests you, you can always start a club or even fraternity or sorority!

I would tell my old self to not slack off so much. Instead of trying to go to parties and hangout with friends all day everyday, I would tell my old self to hit the books and study that extra hour instead of watching television. I would also tell my old self to apply for a lot more grants and scholarships because college won't pay for itself. I would tell my high school senior self to remain honest and loyal to my values and beliefs because college life and the people around you will put everything you once believed in to the test. I would tell my old self to know themselves well because college and the whole environment as one will also test you. But I would also tell my old self that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer and brighter and to just wait for all the fun things and people that college comes with.

The only bad thing about San Jose is that it is in a bad neighborhood so always rememeber to walk with a group of people instead of alone.

Carmen

Well if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senoir I'd tell myself that high school is nothing compared to college. As for high school you have old friends to hang out with but in college you have no friends and have to start fresh. Like in high school when you have a chance to talk to the teacher its not the same you have to make an appointment to see yor own teacher. Your classrooms aren't small in college like in high school. You have to pay attention because the teacher might not repeat it again just for you. Lastly do not get used to procrastinating because if you do it in college then your screwed. Have fun in college and good luck you be needed it.

Christian

San Jose State does have an issue in crime and is sometimes regarded as a medicore school. Nevertheless, It does have a widespread consensus on student advising and the school is only worth as much as the effort the students are willing to put into the campus lifestyle.

I wouldn't give myself advice. Instead I would give that immature and lazy highschool student a wake up call to stop fooling around and apply for scholoarships, study hard, quit complaining about work, and stop being pessimistic. With your ethnic background and parents lack of education you/I should already know that one needs to step firmly and quit being so delusional. There is some intelligence when it comes to achieving certain academic assignments, but there was never enough initiative to truly flourish. Time and time again you have ignored the countless talks with your own familiy and proceed to question your own ability because you/I lack any confidence. Right now at this instant I want you to quit your melancholy atttitude and begin forming yourselg into a decent human being. I would then proceed to knock my past self into submission to convince him that this isn't and dream, while avoiding any severe bone or muscle damage.

With all honesty, there should be no university that should any race or gender. San Jose State State seems well balanced in diversity and tends to foster middle class citizens who find the campus cheap with a majority of majors to succeed in. The only peopel who shouldn't attend are the individuals who can't prioritze their education as one of their priorities.

Monique

San Jose State University School of Nursing staff are some of the best, most inspiring, and humble bunch that alumni can be proud to put the college on a resume.

There is such excitement as a high school senior to finally be down the road to graduation. It would be the opportune time to advise my younger self in order to live a successful life, go straight back to college and earn a working degree. A working degree is one that can be used for a job immediately after graduation. I would give myself positive affirmations to say, at those low times, when I am unable to get into the laddered pre requisite class because there are so many applicants. I would tell my younger self to complete every single transferrable undergraduate course at a two year college and then transfer to a university in order to save money. In terms of money, don’t take out any loans, be a working student as much as possible and not be burdened with debt. Be involved with activities at school but don’t get lost in them because in the end it’s good to have the stories but even better to have that degree. Don’t buy non degree books! Rent books either online or even in the library or if must buy one edition lower than the other.

The most frustating thing about San Jose State University is the nursing major. The major is impacted that there is now a "pre-nursing" section and then the actual nursing program. I recently heard that the pre-nursing is so impacted as well that new applicants can not put pre-nursing as their major any longer. That is unforunate because it's killing the dreams of many who have wanted a career in nursing.

Yair

As far as my classmates go, I would say that they are, for the most part, apathetic about the General Education classes I took with them. They all seemed so sullen and melancholy about having to take classes that had nothing to do with their major. I couldn't help but feel a little bad for the professors because of how hard they try to get a little bit of participation out of the dreary shells of people that filled up the classrooms. I just felt like I should be honest.

In addition to what I already stated in the previous question, I would tell myself many things about college life at San Jose State University. For example, I would say the standard "do the readings and homework" and "don't procrastinate and study until the break of dawn". But I would also make it imperative to my old self that I would need to get over my social anxiety as best as I can in order to maximize my socializing and possibly my happiness at the school. My first semester was nothing short of miserable because of how little I interacted with other classmates and even dorm-mates. I was alone and morose for the first half of my first year in college which I feel reduced my opportunities to getting the most out of my college experience.

Before I came to this school, I only wish I had known that it is perfectly okay to be yourself. That there is a place for everyone in college, and that nobody is considered an "outsider". If I had known sooner, I might have been much more outgoing and cheerful during my first semester in college, and i would have surrounded myself with other people with similar interests, instead of hastily asking a few other guys if I could move in with them next year because I needed to find a place close to campus. It didn't work out.

Rabecca

Our school is mostly known for its diversity, the opportunitues for growth due to its location in silicon valley and this little mexican taqueria that's across the street, La Victoria. San Jose state is its own culture, made up of many different people. It's amazing and unique.

San Jose state university is located right in the center of silicon valley, and it is extrememly diverse. Something I love about this school is the variety of people I meet on a daily basis. There is a little bit of everything. I am from Southern california so I wanted a change, therefore I moved up north which is great. This school is mostly a commuter school but there are infinite ways to get involved to promote many opportunities for students.

If I could go back and give myself advice as a hugh school senior, I would prepare myself for college by saying that you definitely need to research/visit the campus you plan on attending, and yes, you do actually need to READ THE BOOKS, you need to learn how to study, stay focused, GO TO OFFICE HOURS and make sure your professor knows who YOU are because he/she has hundreds of students, sit in the front of a lecture hall (or else you will completely fall asleep or find some other type of distraction), go to the gym, and go out and meet as many people as possible. Do not worry about small things, make sure people know who you are for networking purposes, join greek life, be prepared to meet people of all different backgrounds and personality types, be responsible, and have fun. My summary about college is that this is the time of my life. I am going to make sure I work hard and party hard because these are the years i will never get back!

Karl

My classmates are all willing to help each other and strive to see each other succeed in the classroom.

My advice that I would go back and give to myself would be to study more and study well. During my high school years, I felt like I was too good to study, when I got rejected to all the schools I applied too it was a wake up call to me. I attented community college for five years until I finally got into San Jose State University. At San Jose State University I realized that I needed to study and learn the concepts instead of memorizing the concepts. Ever since taking a new initiative and approach to studying I achieved a 3.350 G.P.A at my first semester at San Jose State. So the advice I would give to myself is to definetly take studying more seriously because when I look back in my high school years, classes would have been a lot easier if I pushed myself to study.

The school has very good teachers, anyone that can't appreciate the teachers here and how they teach shoulnd't attend this school.

Augustine

This question has revisited my mind frequently ever since I finished my Freshman year at San Jose State University. The number one tip I would tell myself if I had this time travel opportunity would be to take multiple colleges classes as a junior and senior in high school. College is expensive, which in turn imbues the students' life with stress and anxiety about monetary needs. Before every semester I have barely acquired the necessary amount of money in order to continue my education. And this constant financial worry has been looming over my head and has become sort of an impediment in my daily life. When I go back in time to talk to my high school self, I will say, "take at least 4 online colleges classes!" For one, they are free when you're in high school and it will prepare you for the academic transition in college. Secondly, If you take at least 4 college classes, you can save thousands of dollars that you would have spent on tuition, books, parking fees, and so on and so forth because you will have completed a semester's worth of college. Note to past self, TAKE COLLEGE CLASSES!

San Jose State University is not the best school of choice for students who desire a rigorous academic emvironment. An intense and competitive environment will not be found here. Students who prefer challenging workloads that pits individuals against each other should pick another college.

San Jose State's most alluring aspect is its social and academic atmosphere. Any incoming student will have no difficulty in attaing friends and an active social life. Prospective students who desire to learn in a milieu where it is not cut-throat, then this University will be the perfect fit for them. A student will not feel pressured or forced into a major that he or she does not want, and fellow students are ever helpful in assisting one another in academic pursuits.

Arthur

Never miss the first day of class, it will screw you up for the rest of the semester. Also try to cushion your load with some easy GE classes instead of trying to take physics, calculus, java programming, and c programming all in one semester. You might learn more and avoid a useless class, but you will get bad grades, and good grades are necessary to continue your education, so in the long run they are important. Also work on your computer programming homework assignments with your friends, because that's how its done in the real world, and it relieves a tremendous load off your back to have a buddy there to help you when you are stuck for what could otherwise be hours and hours of wasted time you could use to start your business and become a millionare instead. Also stay away from facebook, only use it for talking to colleagues about homework or class questions but don't post anything. Basically don't use anything other than the instant chat function or the facebook groups if / when you are managing a club or your own startup company. Also never exercise, it's a complete time waster.

Don't take Science 2, it's not a science class, it's a how to survive college class. The class name is deceptive but don't let it fool you. The class is for underachieving students and not worth taking if you are on your game already.

All the hackathons and game jams and other programming / computer science competitions that happen on campus. There are tons of them! They are hosted by cool tech companies like Microsoft and Barracuda and Neurosky and they give great prizes for the winners too.

Caitlyn

My classmates are for the most part great; they are very diverse and contribute differently to the community.

Caitlyn, there’s so many things to tell you. This is a time where you can make something of who you are and who you want to be. Go and pursue what you want, just as long as it makes you happy. Money is secondary if it’s what you love. Things will happen in life. Whether it’s good or bad, keep your hands out for both of them. If you ever feel lonely, keep it as company. Be yourself. The process of self-discovery takes time, but those who don’t accept you for who you are don’t have a place in your life. Love yourself. It’s alright to take yourself on a date. Things will fall into place. Life may seem like a whirlwind and you’re in the center. You have grades to focus on, a job, family, and endless expectations from yourself and others. It is overwhelming at times but always have faith. Opportunities may come and leave, but you have the choice which door to shut and open. You are constantly changing. Embrace it. Lastly, be kind and keep on inspiring people. You’ll get there kiddo. Don’t give up.

San Jose State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.