Southern Utah University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Utah University

Kyra

It's a pretty solid school. There's definitely a general attitude of learning. The music department specifically is very close-knit and we all at least get along. They are accepting of anybody that want s to come and learn music. There's also a lot of acceptance for different identities throughout campus.

Mindy

I love this school set in a small rural community that has a slower pace than most cities. If you are an avid outdoor student, there are activities everywhere to get into nature and unwind. There is a safe homey feel to the campus that lets the professors be available and interested in the success of their students. It is a wonderful school

Maria

Let me start this review by saying, "GO THUNDERBIRDS!!!" My first year at SUU was unforgettable, from the loud and adrenaline-filled games, to the silent and calm ambient library. The campus is always buzzing with positive vibes. it's hard to walk to class everyday and not be full of wonder and amazement at the natural beauty and history of the campus. SUU is the university to go to if you want an atmosphere of kindness, fantastic professors, and fun traditions!

Maycie

I think Southern Utah University is an amazing university. There is a lot to do on campus and they provide activities for everyone to come together with a lot of unity. We all support one another and try to help build each other up and try to help others to achieve success.

Janae

Southern Utah University is a great school and I truly feel like I belong here. There is always things going on and so many resources that all the students have access to.

Brooke

I attended Southern Utah University for a year. It was by far my favorite school. I love the classrooms sizes at SUU. In a typical class there were 25-30 students. This made it very easy for all my professors to know me by name. They knew my struggles and that wanted me to succeed. Professors are there for us. They really are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure we understand and are doing well in their classes. I made friends easily because of how small the University is. The campus is beautiful. Many students study on the grassy shaded areas, or even play sports. The school provides many opportunities to get involved. We have extracurricular activities, sporting events, groups, and clubs. You can even build your own club if you feel strongly enough about a hobby of yours! The location of SUU is perfect. You can enjoy your fun in the sun in the summer and your snow activities in the winter. In only 45 minutes to drive to St George you can enjoy more of the hot sun. Southern Utah University is a perfect school. I recommend it to anyone!

Karisa

SUU is amazing :)

Morgan

I actually went to SUU for a semester. I was a theatre tech major. That program in particular was not the best. I would go in to do projects for a class and the shop either was not open or I was by myself. If anybody knows the rules one of them is you are not allowed to work by yourself in the shop. That instructor was horrible and I ended up failing the class due to him. However, the campus is gorgeous and other instructors care and are willing to help. It is a rather small campus compared to others and is very easy to navigate around. There is no shortage of things to do there despite it being small. Loved the atmosphere and most of the people there.

Southern Utah University may be small and we may not be that best at sports (we have a football team???), but we know how to have a great time. We are known as the University of the Parks for a reason! There are so many National and State Parks just hours from here to go and explore on the weekends. There are always events going on on-campus, so you are never bored. The professors really care about their students and the class sizes are small, so you actually get to know your professor and work with him. There is free tutoring and the professors are always willing for students to come and talk to them. If you are looking for a great education and a ton of opportunities to get involved with then this is the college for you. If you love adventuring and being outdoors than this is the college for you! I would highly recommend attending Southern Utah University!

Rebecca

I absolutely love the atmosphere. There is always something going on for students to get involved in. All of the faculty and staff are really involved in the student's lives and constantly work to help us achieve our goals. Our president is very active in the student's lives as well. Southern Utah University makes it easier to be so far from home.

I love SUU very much. It is a wonderful school that helps you get the best education inside and outside of the classroom. Whatever it is that catches so many student's attention, the charming campus, the friendly staff and students, or the proximity to so many national parks, it's hard to deny that SUU is the best school!

Cassidy

I was NOT a fan of High School, so college always seemed out of the picture. I took a tour with my High School of different college campuses and fell in love with the atmosphere of SUU. Thanks to SUU, I decided to pursue a higher education. SUU has so much to offer for everyone from education to recreation. I feel safe while on campus. The professors are always willing to talk and make you feel heard. I love the education SUU has to offer and am glad I chose to come here!

Jocelyn

This university has truly dedicated its time finding professors who are knowledgeable and have plenty of experience in their field prior to teaching. Under President Wyatt, SUU is becoming a more innovative university along with maintaining its reputation of being a "teaching" institution. Research is very important and although this university isn't dedicated to research, it provides plenty of resources for students to dedicate time towards research. Aside from its academic advantages, its location cannot be beat! SUU is perfect if you love the country side with warm-non-humid summers, snowy winters and hiking in canyons. It is the University of the Parks and well deserved.

Emma

My overall opinion of SUU is pretty positive. There are multiple organizations that will reach out to students and help them get involved. The professors are for the most part available to help the students. Cost and recent influx of students are the only things that have detracted from my experience this semester, as the amount of students has caused classes to become more crowded and work on-campus less available.

Alana

Southern Utah University is a great place for people to attend college because of the small class size and that the professors get to know your name.

Michele

So far I have liked the University and the support I have felt while preparing for school. I am an older student and can go to the Non traditional department for guidance and support beside other departments. Finding a job on campus is difficult even though I have a lot of job experience. There isn't a medical clinic on campus or a bank/credit union. This makes the University not as self sufficient as I think it could be. I am eager to begin my classes in the Fall and find out more about the professors and my department. I would like to do an internship and possibly a study aboard in the future. SUU offers both for a cost. The small campus is very nice and I look forward to learning more about what the college can offer me.

Hayley

I love SUU. I am a freshman, and I went into it very scared, and as someone who just finished her first semester, I am so happy. The people on campus really make each student a priority, and make sure we know we aren't alone. I have met so many people and have made so many friends and found new opportunities. I really feel like SUU is my home away from home.

Larisa

It is a beautiful campus, the town around the University is a great place, they truly embrace the University. The University has a wonderful medical program, and they do want each and everyone of us to succeed. The class sizes are small, and the teachers take time to help the students. It is not just a job for them they truly care about their students. I feel very blessed and honored to be able to attend Southern Utah University.

Southern Utah University has been an amazing school. The classes, the professors, and the students are fantastic. SUU gives so many opportunities to every student because everyone wants everyone to succeed. SUU has a great community and it is very supportive. I definitely recommend Southern Utah University.

Madison

Southern Utah University is an excellent school. It provides quality education with engaged professors and small class sizes. It hosts many activities outside of school for students to connect. The campus and areas surrounding are safe and the college town life is relaxed and easy going.

Michelle

I have lived here all my life and have seen how it has grown, and I was a little skeptical about going, just by seeing the amount of cars in the parking lot. I have only been a student for a short time but I don't have any complaints, every time I have had a question I have been helped or if they didnt know the answer that at least knew were to send me to who could help me with my question.

Sylvia

Southern Utah University is a great school! There are lots of activities for all sorts of interests, like Casino Parties and Mask Balls. Most classes don't have more than 30-40 students, allowing for easy student-teacher communication and an overall better learning environment. I also love the emphasis on outdoor learning, and getting out to the National Parks nearby to explore the world. SUU has great programs and is in a gorgeous area. I highly recommend it!

Jake

I love SUU and will be attending next semester. I have toured the campus and know that this is the place for me. Their Rural Scholar Program will help me become a doctor which is my goal. I hope to someday be a pediatrician and spend my life helping children stay healthy.

James

It's a great school if you want to do anything artistic in the world. Singing and acting is huge. Simon Cowell has visited our festivals, Randy Jackson graduated here. It's a small school in a small town that makes big waves in the performing arts world. The other thing they really have going is Pre-medical programs. They're known for their excellent preparation for medical school.

Macey

I hav just really enjoyed my time at SUU. The small class sizes have allowed me to become very close with fellow students and get to know my professors. The University is not the greatest about dealing with students with disabilities, which has been a frustration for me, as I have spent a lot of time in a wheelchair or using arm canes. But overall, my experience with SUU has been very positive, and I have loved getting my degree there!

Estee

I absolutely love Southern Utah University. Everyone is so involved and willing to make you feel included. There are always activities and parties going on that are for anyone and everyone. The teachers here make a huge effort to connect and do anything they can to help you succeed. The classes are small which makes learning that much easier, and makes it easier to meet new people. There are so many resources to help you get good grades and achieve your goals. This is a great school to attend!

Brayden

I love the school so much! For the past few years I have attended Shakespeare Festival and that has really gotten me to know the campus and actually really enjoy being there. Some of my best memories are there. Southern Utah university is honestly one of the most fun places to be around. And not to mention the great weather!

Sally

I'm in love with this school. The professors are the best, all the teachers I've had take the time to get to know me and my needs. Also the school is super encouraging of taking advantage of the national parks in southern Utah and even provides days where students can go for free. There are always hammocks around campus set up by the school and there are so many trees on campus. It is seriously the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. This school is a hidden gem!

John

I love it here at Southern Utah University. Everyone is friendly, courteous and respectful. The student atmosphere is welcoming and their ACE program, which is fellow students helping incoming freshman feel like they have a place here, is brings the school spirit to a higher level for first years. You can find lots of social events happening on and around campus. You will never find a dull moment at SUU. The professors are here to help the students succeed in their classes. They have great office hours and love to be involved with students' success. The facilities on campus are good. You have some buildings with up to date furniture while some buildings still have an old school feel. It is diverse. You can find different kinds of ethnicity, cultures and backgrounds. Everyone is accepted here and is never turned away from.

Molly

I love it. It is the perfect place for me. The professors actually care and take the time to get to know you. Lots of opportunities to get involved no matter what interests you. The classes are small, the biggest I have had is about thirty, but most are around fifteen people.

hunter

Southern Utah University is an amazing experience, it has some many opportunities and options to become great. There are many academic classes that you can take, while also having the entire southern part of Utah as your back yard. The class sizes are as small as you can get and you can really start to know your professor!

Olivia

I really enjoy Southern Utah University. Overall, the opportunities are bright and come often. The only thing I would change about Southern Utah University, is to make sure every professor is as dedicated as the next. Most are fantastic, but some aren't.

Paige

Here's the thing about SUU, there's an "in-group" and an "out-group". There's the group of 60 students that are in every commercial and video, and then there's the rest of the students body couldn't care less. The "out-group" is here to learn in the classroom and outside of it (There's a lot of rad National Parks near campus.) Also, it should be noted that SUU is going through a bit of growing pains right now. The tuition is a bit pricey for the experience you get, and that's part of the reason SUU has such a poor retention rate. I have loved my time at SUU, but I plan on transferring because of the high tuition (for the same price one can go to the U, USU, BYU, or Weber), the lack of research and career opportunities, the ridiculous EDGE (Experience Designed to Give Experience, aka,the capstone project, aka, an utter waste of time and credits), and because of that bloody annoying in-group.

Rakell

The reason that I picked Southern Utah University was because I never heard any negative ratings about it. Everyone I talked to said such amazing things! And when I got there, I knew they were true! Everyone is so nice, both the faculty and the students! The campus is truly breathtaking! It is so incredibly beautiful, just looking at it can make anyone smile! I would recommend SUU to anyone! They have programs for everyone here! No matter your major, they can provide the classes, the support and the knowledge! To this day, I am still excited that I chose SUU for my college experience! I am a Thunderbird forever!

Cayla

My overall opinion of Southern Utah University is really good. I love going to school there and love my professors, they are all really good and make sure that their students have the best time learning and understanding everything. The life out side of the classroom is also very fun. There are many different clubs and activities for all students to take part in. Everyone at SUU is always so nice and and willing to help. There is so much school spirit and pride all the time, but especially when it comes to sports and games. Everyone loves to show their support and love for their school. I can not picture myself going to any other school!

Cyrita

I absolutely love SUU. The campus is a great size, the facilities are awesome, and I absolutely love each of my professors. They are always striving to help each and every student be the best they can be and to expand our minds in ways we didn't know they could. The class sizes are perfect, and you are able to get to know everyone well. The professors know who you are personally, and will work with you when you are struggling. It's an amazing environment, and I'm glad I chose SUU.

Ana

Southern Utah University is by far the greatest University ever! The campus is beautiful, the teachers and staff are wonderful, they have great disability accommodations, and it contains a wealth of information just waiting to be taught to its students! I highly recommend this school to anybody looking for an amazing place to learn!

VANNESSA

It is a fantastic school. Everyone is kind and gets along well. The professors are great and so are the classes. The tuition is pretty cheap and there are a lot of scholarship and financial aid opportunities. I recommend Southern Utah University to anyone and everyone.

Sydney

It is a very welcoming school with students and professors who all aid in providing a healthy and stable learning environment. Everyone only wants you to succeed and many opportunities to grow your resume outside of the classroom and in. When not working on school work there is a variety of nice areas to go visit, many of them in nature. This aids in the mental health of the students and overall happiness and healthy connections among the students.

Natalie

Southern Utah University is a great place to learn and make friends. There are so many resources that I don't even know about, but to find them all you have to do is ask. There are so many opportunities, even traveling the world and SUU will fund you, so it's free of charge to you!

Bodee

They are a good school with great programs, especially in engineering, acting, and nursing. Though I had to jump through so many hoops to get anything done, even in scholastics. Don't let anyone convince you to be a club president because it is a pain in the neck to work with the school administration.

Melissa

It's not a bad school, but I feel like the culture of the school is more focused on sports and not so much on the academics that the school offers. I also feel like the school wants to make sure that you have a fun time and a party than getting a good education. For the most part, my professors have been really great and are very invested in their students' education, but I don't feel like that is the mindset of the rest of the school. They also have a lot of problems with their computers and student billing systems. It's honestly one of the biggest headaches of being here.

Andrew

I really like the school, the class sizes are just right and the professors all have some form of experience in the field they are teaching. The professors are usually available and if not they make time for you. They professors also encourage group studying which can help if you have questions and it can help create contacts for when you graduate you know others working in the field.

Johanna

I have been going to SUU for 2 years and it is overall a great university and city. The students, faculty, and staff of the university are so friendly and helpful to each other. The city is friendly and everyone says "hello" to each other, I feel that I am home even though I am an out-of-state student. There are so many activities to do on and off campus, both equally encouraged to do by students and faculty. There is at least 1 event happening on campus every week and always something to do in nature, to which we are close to a lot of trails and recreational parks. It campus with great people as I seen it.

Diana

I received my Associate of Arts at SUU, and I definitely don't regret it. SUU is excellent academically, and most of its professors genuinely care about students' success. Its value is one of the highest I've ever seen — if you get high grades and test scores in high school, you can get enormous scholarships with tuition that is already pretty low. A quality education with minimal debt is exactly what I was looking for in a university. There are pros and cons to SUU's size, but as someone who values academics above all — that is what we pay for — the small class sizes and attentiveness of the professors were worth the lack of things to do in Cedar City (aside from hiking and going to the movies). Extracurricular opportunities are prevalent, albeit a little limited due to the size. There are some clubs, but I didn't get involved because none of them interested me enough. I did get involved with a student-run organization — the school newspaper — which thoroughly enriched my sophomore year. My primary complaint about SUU is that its administration is constantly trying to increase enrollment without making proper accommodations for the growing student body. For instance, on-campus housing and student parking are both severely overpopulated. They are building more on-campus housing where a parking lot used to be, so that helps one problem while exacerbating the other. The library is almost always full, so in my second year I often had to go to the Electronic Learning Center to use the computers there instead. The Testing Center is also frequently overpopulated. It has limited funding for its employees, who get frazzled and overwhelmed come finals week, which entails lines that travel up the stairs and onto the fourth floor. SUU's administration must learn that if they continue their effective marketing and outreach to increase enrollment this much, they must accommodate it with increased resources. It is basic economics: the demand exceeds supply, and it will continue to do so unless enrollment is curbed or supply is increased. Regardless of its pitfalls, I'm happy with my experience at SUU. I learned to avoid the problems encountered by living off-campus, using the ELC, being strategic with when I went to the Testing Center, and carpooling to campus. A couple other notes: the dining hall is definitely not worth it; it is way overpriced and the food is average (some of it good, some of it disgusting). Since SUU is so small, I recommend majoring in something useful and getting a job or doing extracurricular activities to enhance your resume. Aside from the above complaints, which are issues that plague many other more overpriced universities as well, SUU is a great, high-value school that will provide the tools you need for academic and professional success.

RyLeigh

Southern Utah University is an incredible school when you're looking for an experience unlike any other you've had before. Cedar City is a small town that has a lot of heart, and you find yourself falling in love with the people, the culture and with the university. The classes are smaller and for the most part the professors are extremely invested in your education. I'd recommend this school to anyone, especially outside of Utah for an incredible experience different than they'd get anywhere else.

Nicholas

My opinion of Southern Utah University is that it is a good college to attend. The professors that teach there are very dedicated to helping their students succeed. This makes learning there an enjoyable experience and removes some of the stress that comes with attending college. I have found that the students at the university are also very friendly and willing to help out with any problems that may be going on.

Southern Utah University is terrific. It is an amazing school, with amazing staff, professors, and people. The campus is beautiful and easy to navigate. It's very diverse and there are a ton of different clubs and ways to get involved. The only thing I would change about this school is costs for tuition, it's very expensive!

Lizzy

I have loved my experience thus far at SUU. My professors have been great, and I enjoy the atmosphere.

Jordan

I liked SUU, and I usually recommend it to others. Like any other school, there are hoops to jump through to graduate, but the teachers do care about you and try to help you the best they can.