San Antonio, TX
St. Mary's University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St. Mary's University

Brenda

I wish someone would of told me not to be overconfident in myself when it came to grades. Just because you have an A one second doesn't mean you can't get a C. You have to remain focused and dedicated to earn a certain grade.

Jesse

My classmates are friendly, studious, challenging, and come from every different background and walk of life.

Assuming going back in time and meeting myself doesn't cause a hole in the time-space continuum, I would tell myself to follow my dreams, and to worry less about what other people think. I wanted to be a writer from the time I was 12, and I lost my way because I listened to people who told me to do something more "useful." I foundered and did poorly in school because I was pursuring an education I didn't want, and I was miserable. It took 15 years and a stint in the military for me to get back on track, but I'm more passionate than ever. I performly badly in school before, but I recently graduated with my Associate's degree earning a 4.0 gpa, and have, thus far, kept that average at St. Mary's Univerity. I would tell my younger self to be open-minded and adventurous, to study abroad, and read everything I could get my hands on. I would tell my younger self to love deeply, to take no one for granted (especially not myself), and to know that I can achieve anything I set my mind to.

St. Mary's is a challenging environment and a great school, but the most frustrating thing are the core courses which overlap many of the general requirements that transfer students will have completed at other colleges/universities. These St. Mary's Core courses are required even if you have similar requirements, so that it can take a bit longer to complete one's planned degree, so planning ahead is required.

Kristina

I like how the school is so small so everyone is like a family here.

I like how the school is so small so everyone is like a family here.

I would tell myself to graduate with my class. College is amazing, but I graduated 2 years early when I was 16 so I came to college really young. I see my old friends who are bearly graduating this year and all the senior things they are doing that I'm missing out on. I really do love this school. It's a perfect fit for me and anyone who wants to succeed. As the first in my family to attend college, St. Mary's has made the transition easy. I wish I could've retaken the SAT to get a higher score and get more financial aid. Since my graduation was a sudden choice I didn't have enough time.

Anyone who wants an amazing college experience.

Yadira

My classmates are my second family to me, specially the ones from my biology class for majors. We get together to study and help each other out, answering each others' questions. We not only study together but we also get together to have dinner, play board games just to take a break from studying. Everyone is dedicated to learning and are open to growth and discovering new things.

I would tell myself not to stress and not worry about the "what if's." I was really worried and stressed when I moved into college before classes started. During orientation I learned I was overreacting and that there was a lot of people I could count on for help. They made me feel welcomed. I was in my second home and got the feeling that I really belonged here. The sense that I was part of their community - now mine also - was everywhere present. I had nothing to worry about because faculty and staff are more than willing to assist you with anything, be it academic or not. They care for us as individuals. I would also to say to my high school senior self: "Keep up with the good grades! You are almost there! Enjoy your free time because you will not have much after classes start. College it is going to be a crazy, stressful, but very fun (not party fun, but random fun) ride."

St. Mary's University is a small school with a lot to offer. I am really glad I decided to attend here. The sense of belonging to a community is priceless. Faculty gets to know you and are dedicated to your success, they care about you as an individual. The experience and the opportunities offered in this University are great. I would not want to be in any other college.

I transfered to StMU, so I was unaware of the McNair Scholars Program. This program helps hispanic students who want to one day obtain a PhD. The program lasts for the duration of the student's time on campus and provides them with resources to conduct their own experimental research and attend conferences and symposiums. It helps tremendously when applying to graduate schools and gives research experience.

While at StMU I met so many different types of people-this school is for everyone. There are extracurriculars for everyone including and not limited to: athletics, academic clubs, honor societies, theatre arts, community service, LGBTQ organizations, sororities, fraternities, clubs coinciding with majors, and religious organizations of various types. While there is a lot to become involved in, the campus enrollment is around 4,000 undergraduate students. This makes class size small and gives students the oppourtunity to form invaluable professional relationships with their professors.

Andrea

St. Mary's University is really something else. Not all private universities are like it. The teachers and the community are really caring. Everyone looks out for one another. The teachers do their best the help the students succeed. There are always events going on on-campus to get students together to become one big family. The university life here really is a game changer that definitely changed my life. It is refreshing to know that at St. Mary's University you are not just some number. You are a person that is appreciated for all that you will do.

I would tell myself to not sweat the little things and to actually appreciate the little things in life. I would tell myself to take dual credit courses, they may be a bit harder but prove to get things done faster when you are in college. Challenge yourself. Do better! If you put that extra effort in a certain class, it won't have to come back to bite you in the butt when you are tested on that subject during college. Be who you want to be, not who people want you to be. You're a senior, and you're practically an adult in a few months. Take some responsibility and get a job, it'll do wonders for the years to come. Rather now than later. Don't let fear dictate your life. Take fear of not knowing into your own hands and achieve greatness. You're going to go far, kid. Keep your chin up, and always do 110%. It's your last year of being a teenager. Have fun while it lasts, but remember to do good!

For me, there is no worst thing. I would only say the worst thing is the price of tuition to attend, but other than that it is well worth spending for such a good quality education. It is an all around fantastic establishment.

The first and formost advice I would give to my senior self would be to do what I want to do and not listen to anyone else but myself. I remember getting criticized for my choice of school. I wanted to go to UT Austin because my family wanted me to. But I decided that St. Mary's was the right choice for me and it took me forever to realize that. I would also tell myself to take it seriously. College can be fun, but when it comes down to it, your grades and performance are what matter the most. If I could I would go back and make sure I knew that. Also telling myself not to be afraid to speak up. The school is very open minded and I am a very shy person, so attending St. Mary's has given me the oppurtunity to open up.

Some one who is very open minded and focused. The school has many oppurtunites for volunteer work and extracurriculars, so someone who is outgoing and very friendly. They also have standards and so those who attend should be focused and willing to work hard and to what they can to succeed.

That it is a small confortable school. Everyone is friendly and accepting. The school has many connections and the professors are always willing to help and look for ways to go the extra mile with the students.

Joshua

The small class sizes make for a very personal relationship between students and professors. You don't get lost in the shuffle of all the other students. You are not lost in a sea of faces, you are your own individual person that is remembered easily if you try. It was because of this environment that I am finding my "identity"

When applying for colleges, apply for as many as you can. Talk to counselors who know about scholarships, because they can help you pay for school and get rid of most, if not all, your financial problems. You have got to be more open to meeting new people. The numerous people that you will meet can change your life forever in a way that can't easily be described in words. Another thing you should do is to not be afraid to take chances. Take the philosophy that it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. You can miss out on so many wonderful opportunities if you let fear take control of your life. You were given a gift to spread joy and hope to people and you shouldn't limit yourself because you are afraid for failure. Don't let any negativity hold you back what you were born to do, and that is to live with love and hope. I promise you, that life won't be easy, but with a little bit of faith and great friends, you'll make it through somehow.

The amount of friendly people on campus is amazing. Whether it be a faculty member or a student, almost everyone is kind to one another. There is an extremely great sense of community here ay St. Mary's.

Nicolas

St.Mary's is unique because its a private university that offers smaller classes, well known professors and great academics. Also, some of my family have had the opportunity to attend this university and get their degree that lead them to get a well paying job. St.Mary's is unique for the reason that its a religious based university. St.Mary's also stands out by the recognition it has in San Antonio when it comes to its teachers, classes and campus.

If i was able to go back in time to my senior year of highschool, I would advice myself to be more focus and serious about college. I would advice myself to put effort in every application i sent back then with the belief that i will get accepted. I would also advice myself to give up most of my social life so i would be able to dedicate that energy towards my courses and applications. I would also change my attitude towards college completly by being more serious about it and not just blowing it off. I would advice myself not to be timid or embarrassed to finding helping or reaching out in moment in need. To realize that there is a lot of opportunities out there that i just have to make the effort for them.

The type of person that should attend this school or wants to attend it, is a focus and responsible person. What i mean by this is a person that is willing to sacrafice their social life for academics because St.Mays classes requires alot of responsibility and dedication. A person that is willing to go the extra mile on every paper and willing to think outside the box. The type of person who is not comfortable with just average but striving for greatnes.

Sophia

It is crucial to put more value on your classes than any other activities. Being engaged in volunteering, community opportunities as well as opportunities to help you get farther in your set career. Pushing yourself and being open to others is very important when coming to St.Mary's University.

There is a big emphasis on volunteering and helping the community which allow many opportunities to participate in.

I would tell myself to think deeply about what I want to do in the future and that every decision counts. Research and participate more in order to find out what it is I'm good at and whether I enjoy it or not. Start taking action by your own account because there is so much you are capable of and many doors you can also open for yourself. Don't take your future for granted. Don't worry about the social aspects of college life and be involved academically.

St. Mary's University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.