Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

My classmates are a fun group of kids that are very focuesd on their schooling but know how to let loose and have a good time...

Obviously this is not high school anymore. Your parents are not around to push you to study, do your work, and attend class. My best advice to you is not let all the freedom go to your head. Its better in the long run to keep up with assignments and don?t let them build up to the point where a million things are all do at once. The syllabus is your lifeline. Professors will not always remind you when things are due. Be concerned about your grades before the fact, not after your already failing. Get to know your professors. Most of them are here because they love teaching and want to see their students succeed. Be sure to check the syllabus for when their hours are and whether you need an appointment. Don?t forget to have fun and stay active. There are so many clubs, sports and intramurals on campus. Join something, it?s a great way to make friends, have fun, and fight of homesickness. Relax, if you have questions, don?t hesitate to ask. Everyone on campus was new one time to, they understand. Have a great year!

Someone who knows how to balance fun and studying well. If you are easily steered off course I dont recommend attending.

Molly

As a recent graduate and member of the working world , I have been able to reflect on my time as a student at the University of Scranton. I have a deeper appreciation more now than ever before for all that I learned in the classroom, but more so for what I learned of life, love, leadership, service, and most importantly, what I have learned about myself. If I could give any advice to parents and prospective college students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience, it would be this: 1. Trust that you will be exactly where you are supposed to be for a reason. Opportunities are limitless and sometimes things do not go accordingly to plan, and that is okay. There are no right or wrong answers, and if you have faith in your child/self to realize that, you will find your way and be happier while you do. 2. There are thousands of excellent schools in this country that could offer you a wonderful education. Your experience is what you make of it by the people you meet, places you go, things you decide. Ultimately, it is up to you.

The best thing about the University of Scranton is its closely-knit community. Faculty, students, and staff genuinely care about one another, both inside and outside of the classroom.

I brag about the community of the school, as mentioned above, and that I learned more about myself than I ever could have anticipated because of this community. The University of Scranton is an excellent school, academically speaking, but more so because of the whole experience it provides for its students. I was never made to feel like I could not be myself. I found a family in Scranton.

Katie

They are open, friendly and approachable people.

They are open, friendly and approachable people.

Start researching early. There are many schools out there and there is a school for everyone. As well, academics are important but not if they are going to be cut throat. College is also about learning who you are and about other people. Being able to be in activities and growing new friendships are important as well.

That everyone is welcomed and normally people do include others with their activities.

Pre-med program; community outreach

Pre-med program; community outreach

Don't worry too much about if you've found the "perfect school." I always heard about people who walked onto a campus and "knew" this was the school for them. That never happened for me, but I am completely happy at the school I chose. Just come to school ready to love it - it's much easier to be happy that way.

Lucia

My decision of which college to attend was extremely difficult. I didn't get into the school that I wanted to and I was feeling despondent about the whole college experience in general. I was not looking forward at all to going to Scranton. The second I stepped onto campus on move in day, I felt such a sense of belonging that I knew I had made the right decision. My advice is to not stress. You are meant to go where you go. While it may not seem perfect at the time, I am a strong believer in fate. Let fate work for you. If you have put in the time and effort needed, you will be happy and succeed where ever you end up!

At Scranton, we have an incredible sense of community. We pride ourselves on this and it is really felt when you walk onto campus. Knowing that anything I do and anywhere I go on campus I will feel welcome makes me love Scranton.

The most frustrating thing about Scranton that I have experienced thus far is the lottery to sign up for classes. People end up not getting the classes that are required to take just because they have a bad time.

Sherly

The University of Scranton is a welcoming and friendly school, with a strong focus on community and academics; located in Scranton, PA, a small town in Northeastern PA that doesn't offer too much, but does enough as long as you take the time to meet new people and get involved.

To students: Fill your parents in on what you're looking for in the right school, they only want to help. This affects their lives, too. Try looking at schools that aren't too close to home. Living on campus will help you to grow up and become independent. Be careful in your Freshman year; mistakes can and will be made. You will make it through the mistakes, so take the time to live too! While having fun, remember your work comes first. Your friends don't make your GPA for you. Call your parents; they will always love you. To the parents: Take the time to consider your child's interests. You may not want to see them go, but it'll be the best for them in the long run. Do not let cost get in the way of your child's 'dream school'. Financial aid does help. If not, it'll be hard to pay for, but this is your child's education; what better investment? Don't call your child too much; let them live! Trust them. If you raised them right, they'll make the right choices. If not, they'll learn. They love you.

I think the worst thing about my school is the location. Scranton, PA isn't that bad, but it could do more to accommodate college students, besides providing bars.

The University of Scranton is a liberal arts college that stresses the importance community- among students, faculty, and the surrounding city- and has a strong belief in these three components working together to create a quality education to prepare it's students for the "real world."

The most important part of searching for the perfect school is on-campus visits. From my own experience, the minute I walked onto campus, I knew the University of Scranton was the college I wanted to attend. In case you do not have that "A HA" moment, there are several steps you can take to ensure you are picking the right college. First, talk to students and ask them the real questions: what are the dorms like? how are the classes? are the students friendly? Students who are not under the pressure of a group tour will be more willing to give you the most honest answers. Second, talk to professors and academic counselors to make sure they have the program that best suits your needs. If the professors are helpful before you attend the school, it's a good indication they will continue to interact this way once you are admitted. Third, discuss your financial aid options. College is expensive and a great experience does not have to cost top dollar. Finally, trust your gut! You did the research, you asked the questions, now it's time to start listening to your heart and you're on your way!

The typical "U of S" student is a focused, friendly, and outgoing individual who values both academics and campus involvement. They believe in making and keeping strong friendships for life and receiving an education that will take them far beyond the four walls of the classroom. Scranton students value giving back to their community. Alumnae of "The U" are proud to say they received a hands-on learning experience and were able to combine their academic life, social life, and faith life make the best of their college years.

Kelly

Scranton is a very welcoming, academically focused,and fun school.

Scranton is a very welcoming, academically focused,and fun school.

What I would say to parents is that this is something you really need to stress to your child is more an individual choice than your choice. Though it is important to keep monetary limitations in mind, especially with today's economic crisis; finding the right college for your child should be more focused on the academic and social needs of your child. There are always grants, loads, scholarships, ect to help the financial situation. For children, I would say that you should sit down first and decide what you want from your college academically. What topic areas interest you? You do not have to necessarily pick a topic, but keep some in mind so that you can pick schools with strong programs in these areas. I would also say that you should pick a school that fits your academic and social needs. Do you have enough self motivation to go to a party school and still succeed? Can you live far from home? Would you want to live far away from home? Lastly I would take into account the type of environment the school is, city, large school, small school, or rural area.

I wish I had known that sophmore year is much more demanding than freshman year.

Tricia

Scranton is a school where you don't have to worry about being judged; you can really be yourself.

Scranton wasn't my first choice; in fact, I only applied to appease my parents. I had never looked at the school, and they made me come up after I was accepted. It was a rainy cold Saturday morning in April, and halfway through my tour, I knew I was where I was supposed to be. You or your son/daughter will feel it when they're on campus, so make sure you take a tour. I know it's a lot of driving, but it's worth it. I wouldn't change it for anything; I met my very best friends here. And even if they're not a D1 Athletic School (we're D3), you can join clubs. I met these best friends on the Crew Team, which is a club sport. Don't overlook anything. Walk around campus, talk to a student; they'll most likely be more than willing to talk about their experiences and give their advice. Most of all, choose the school that's right for you, not anyone else; your friends, parents, significant others. YOU. Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the commons! :)

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.