Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Utah

Kariann

My classmates are generally very hard working and focused.

My classmates are generally very hard working and focused.

If your student knows what they want to major in then look for colleges that have a great program in that major. Other than that have your student look into the student government at their University and other ways the student can get involved. It really does help them with academics, having a social life, and staying out of trouble. Make sure you are allowing your student to make their own decisions. I've seen one too many cases where the parents have held on too tight and their student has gone of the deep end when out on his or her own. Let your student choose, but always be sure to keep in touch with them. Support your student! College is rough. We learn new life lessons, we face hard situations, our eyes and minds are opened as new understandings come our way. Support your children through the hard times and through the good times. And always always always ASK QUESTIONS. Show your student that you still care about them, be involved in their life!

Someone who wants to be involved in campus activities, likes to ski and/or snowboard, and wants a good education without having to clean out their bank account should go to this school.

Kaitlin

Find a college that has a solid program in the field you want to major in. Find a school that has people with similar interests as you and get involved the second you start college, whether it be rushing, joining a club or playing a sport. Put your self out there and don't be afraid what people think. It's not high school, no one cares what you wear or what party you go to. Live at the dorms your first year, great place to make friends! Find a good balance of school, work, and social life. Remember, college is hard but is something anyone can do!

The fact that it is a comuter school and a lot of people keep their same friends from high school.

The social aspects and the respectability of the business program. Also the convenience of the location being close to the city as well as the ski resortsd and mountains.

Leslie

I'm not exactly sure, I know that our music program excels. We are all a big family, I love the people here and it is a lot of fun.

Take advantage of the resources that are available to you. Many schools have so much information that you can get your hands on, and it is really helpful in not only matching what school will be best for you, but also planning for the rest of your life. Take your time and do your research, don't just jump into the first thing that you see. College is a great experience as long as you stay focused and friendly. Don't get caught up in "college life" so much that you lose track of the whole reason you're there in the first place. Make sure that you make great friends and even greater study habits, these years are so much fun and they will determine how you live the rest of your life. Don't just learn the academics, but focus on learning life lessons and expanding your horizons on as many levels as possible. Most of all, do your best and have fun!

How the LDS culture affects day to day life. As a non-member, it is sometimes difficult to be the outcast, but in general, people are still very accepting and kind.

Jo

Pi Kappa Alpha songfest 2007, university of utah

Pi Kappa Alpha songfest 2007, university of utah

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Coach Whittingham recruits Utah students to join the MUSS

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

From the NBA Commercials Where Amazing Happens, centered around the Utes!

Kate

Choosing a college is very similar to selecting a pair of shoes. If the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, find one that does. Colleges, like shoes must follow along these guidelines if you are going to include them in your everyday life. This means that like the correct college, the shoe cannot be too expensive and it must be appropriate for what you want to get out of it's use. Always try on your shoe before buying it and always visit your college before deciding to attend. DO NOT settle. This decision will affect the next 2-4 years of your life. Make sure your school can accomadate to the field of interest you're looking to pursue, that it is the correct size, that it is in a location you feel comfortable in, and that you've heard good things from the people you meet on your visit to the school.

The best thing about the University of Utah is its friendly social environment. The professors and advisors always willing to take a moment to speak with their students about a new project or a budding problem emerging in the classroom. Students on campus are talkative and recptive to others' needs, and making friends is extremely easy at the U of U. It's rare to find a person with a negative attitude, and the social scene at the University is constant. There is always someone to meet and something to do, whether its through activist work, or attending a party.

The academic standards at the University of Utah can be very high depending on which classes a person chooses to enroll in. Many of my classes have been so difficult that taking them in combination with each other put me under extreme amounts of pressure and stress. It's frustrating knowing that I will be graduating in five years instead of four. I'm glad the the University of Utah pushes its students, unfortunately about 1/4 of the people I know (attending the University) have the same problem I have, and many of the others have already dropped out.

The University of Utah is an excellent place to obtain a college education and prepare for the top professions across the nation.

What do I want to be when I grow up? Who should I marry? Where do I want to live? These are all questions that have high importance in a person?s life. Among them is the very important question: Where should I go to college? Beginning to fill out college applications can be an exciting experience. Choosing a college is where the difficulty begins. There are many things to consider, including location, tuition prices, and overall opportunities offered. As I researched which college I wanted to attend, academics also played a major role. It was important for me to attend a school with the most esteemed professors in order to get the most out of my education. Considering I would be paying expensive tuition prices, I refused to settle for anything less than the best. Therefore, when choosing a college, it is important to think about what opportunities you want to obtain out of your education. Whether that includes involvement in clubs, sports, volunteer groups, academic associations, and others, it is essential to consider all the benefits of a university before making a decision. In conclusion, simply getting involved can make your college experience a memory to never forget.

The University of Utah is very research oriented and prestigious. There are many opportunities for undergraduates to get involved in their own personal research in a lab of their choice under the direction of a professor. These opportunities look great on future graduate school and job applications. Aside from academics, the University of Utah has many events all year round. Whether it is going to the football game versus the rival BYU, or to watch the top ranked gymnastics team, or even volunteering in Special Olympics, there are unlimited opportunities to get involved.

Dane

The University is on the cutting edge on all fronts, Medical, Engineering, Chemistry, Visual Arts, Business and Performing Arts. The campus is unique with a 9 hole golf course in the middle, 4 performing arts theaters, 2 museums and home to the 2002 Winter Olympic Villege. The university is squeezed between Salt Lake City and the Mountains allowing for exploration of the outdoors or getting involved in a SMALL city. The Campus is also located only 25mins from 5 ski resorts.

I know some parents don't want to hear this but it is important for a student to choose his or her own University. The student has the responsibility of finding a University that his or her parent can efford, if he or she wants to go a college out of thier parent's budget then it is thier duty to find the funds. Applying early before October prior to attending college allows you to apply for more finacial aid. Having fun in your University is extremely important, even if you go to college primarily for school you will perform better if you have fun from time to time. Students should choose a school where they are able to enjoy themselve however you shouldn't choose a school primarilly out of enjoyment. look at the statistics and awards held by the university and talk to Academic Advisors about where alumni go and what alumni do after they graduate.

The city and state have very strange laws. Very little in the city is open past 10pm and almost every is closed on Sundays. Parking on campus is very problematic as is with most Universities, however because only 5,000 of the 29,000 live on campus the remaining 24,000 comute on a daily basis. The University informs it's student primarily via an email system it provides, but very few student, myself inclueded, check that email and we have all given alternate forms of contact information.

Alice

Being involved has really taught me some great lessons in life. This was one of the most important criteria for me when choosing a college to attend. One of the biggest differences between college and high school is that, for the most part, there are more students and faculty, most of which you will never cross paths with. Therefore, people end up feeling a little more isolated. I used to not mind being a loner at school, because I knew I had friends back home. Then I volunteered with a few organizations. That's when I decided I wanted to be pre-med, because I worked a lot with cancer patients. That's also where I met people who would become like family to me. Joining a club or team really changes that because people feel more connected with the school and with others, creating less discomfort. It's also a great way to meet people with the same interests. These people can really help you in picking out a career or studying. You never know what kind of doors people will open for you. And you will also learn a lot about yourself, I guarantee it.

Someone who isn't quite ready to work hard in school should probably start off at a community college first. All the general education classes are easier than at the University level.

The Honors Program is rigorous but I have learned a lot so far. There is also a great service and volunteering center called the Bennion Center that does many service projects every year.

brandon

I spend most my time on the lower campus and most of my time in the dorms. People are sometimes surprised that I go to Utah. The recent controversy was that the RIAA sued 12 members for downloading music using file sharing. That was quite interesting. School pride happens at athletic events

I have no experiences with racial or religious groups. In eating areas it can be kinda segregated.

I thought academics was quite good. I spend time studying and doing papers. I do ask my teachers for help when I really need it.

Athletic events such as football is awesome. Students don't really leave their doors open because you cannot trust anyone. There is drinking and parties but nothing really big.

some students are assumed to be mormon

Josh

I really like Utah. There's lots to do - mountains close by, downtown close by, etc. The professors that I've had are excellent. The university is well funded and state of the art. The institute of religion here is excellent. I'd recommend coming here to anyone.

The student body is very diverse racially and religiously. Because of this, there seems to be lots of cliques based on either race or religion. People tend to stick to their own. I like to branch out and meet different people, but sometimes it doesn't work at all here. Many students seem to be wary of each other here - perhaps it's because they're so far from home.

Utah does have a high percentage of Mormon people, but at the U of U, the student body is a much lower percentage. The U is more liberal and the student body is diverse. The U does have a lot of commuting students from all over the valley.

The freshman classes can get pretty huge, but professors that I've had are all interested in helping you if you take the time to go and ask for help. Students at the U are for the most part academically driven, and it's a stimulating place to be.

Doors in the dorms usually stay closed. There are tons of activities on campus to keep you busy - I lived in the dorms and always had something to do. Also, there's lots to do closeby, whether in the mountains or downtown.

By people from outside of Utah, Utah as a state is typically viewed as a Mormon state, and that the University is a primarily Mormon school that is conservative. From inside the state, the U of U is seen as the most liberal area in the state, especially in comparison to BYU. Also, the U is a commuter school.

University of Utah administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.