Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Utah

Harper

The best thing about Utah is by far the outdoors. If you are a person who enjoys any kind of outdoor recreation, the University of Utah is definitely for you. I, myself, enjoy mountain biking, and have chosen to stay in my home state for that reason alone. However, the biggest reason by far that many people come to Utah is for the awesome skiing. Nevertheless, whatever you do, if you love the Outdoors, Utah is for you. The University of Utah, although it consists of about 28,000 students, doesn't feel all that large when you're on campus. It's about a 20-minute walk across campus, and you tend to see people you know quite frequently on campus. However, if you prefer the small school classroom experience, with the big school feel, I would highly recommend the Honors Program. With it you get the best professors on campus, in classes that are capped at 40. It's a great way to get a great education at a large university. By far the biggest hangout on campus is the Union Building. From the lounges and quiet areas for study, to its delicious cafeteria, to its bowling alley downstairs, the Union is the place to be. Although the U is pretty sweet, it does have its bad sides. The University of Utah administration is currently in a stage of hypocrisy as they swing from one extreme of policy to another. They promote outdoor recreation, yet fail to maintain or even install sidewalks around all areas of campus. They promote cleanliness, yet the north side of the dormitory dining hall smells like rank garbage most of the time. They promote physical well-being, yet make students who actually live on campus walk twenty minutes across campus to the Field House if they wish to do ANYTHING with free weights. (I've lodged complaints with three different people in Housing, and not even one set of dumbbells has been added to the Dorm gyms.) Now, as much as walking across campus would seem to promote physical well-being, with Utah's frigid winters, it can sooner promote frostbite than it can a healthy heart. As a student living on campus, one of the biggest complaints I most frequently hear is that the food is disgusting. As any good marketer will do, the Housing and Residential Education director will tell you at Preview Day that the food is "delicious" and "prepared by gourmet chefs". And when the dining hall knows they are hosting future students, of course they will cook their food at its best, but most of the time, it leaves much, MUCH, to be desired. Nevertheless, living on campus with friends is quite an amazing experience, and so I will still live on campus and deal with the food again next year.

While going to Brigham Young University (Known as "The School Down South" around campus) might prove the stereotypes about the Mormon culture to be true, the U is quite different. The U hosts the majority of the Mormon counterculture in Utah, and so people who perhaps don't accept the Mormon faith, or any faith at all, will feel quite welcome. In addition, if you are of the Christian faith, like me, there are many campus groups with which to involve yourself - Campus Crusade (www.utahcru.com), Ute-Nited (www.utenited.com), Salt Co., or Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

With the University of Utah being a school of over 28,000 students, it is hard to find classes small enough to get some one-on-one relation with the professor. However, if you are a student who gets good grades, and who actually cares about the quality of his or her education, yet one who desires a big school feel, there is an answer. The Honors Program at the University provides a fantastic way to get some one-on-one relationships with some of the best professors on campus, in classes that are capped at 40. With regard to the attitude of your average professor on campus, I must say it is one of incredible pride. With the University of Utah being a research university, oftentimes the professors at the U become so caught up in the stigma of their own work that they forget they are fallible human beings just like everybody else, and it often shines through. However, if you will be a student in the School of Business, as I am, I would highly recommend Professor Calvin M. Boardman. His attitude is one quite contrary to that which was aforementioned, and he is quite an excellent teacher.

As a Christian in the Mormon state of Utah, I spend most of my time involved with the various Christian groups on campus. My favorite group by far is Ute-Nited (www.utenited.com), although Cru, a.k.a. Campus Crusade (www.utahcru.com), is an excellent group as well. Both groups provide excellent fellowship with other Christians on campus, and a means to pursue your faith and dig deeper into what it really means to be a follower of Jesus.

Many people feel that the Mormon culture in Utah will have a tremendous impact on them, and will make them feel like a minority.

Melissa

I like the size of the U of U. Some classes are large and I am not used to large classes but I think I just need to adapt. Old classmates who went out of state don't seem to be impressed but many people in Utah think it is a great opportunty. When I am on campus I am in class, at the Newman Center, walking around campus buecause it is beautiful, at the library, or at the Union eating on on the computers or just hanging out there (in order of most time spent to least time spent.) Yes there is a good amount of school pride.

There is a veriety f students on campus and they all interact with each other. Most Utah students are probably from in state, study abroad students, or students who come from out of state for the snow (in order of most to least).

No. Yes it is true that there are many mormons in Utah but people are not forced to become mormon although just like in any religion, there are people who do not leave you alone. There are many diferent reasons why mormons come to the U of U. This idea is probably not one of them. There is a large Catholic population on campus and many of them attend at Newman but many students do not know about the Newman Center and do not utilize that.

0 out of 4 of my professors know my name. Last semester it was 2 out of 4. The most unique class I have taken is History of Rock and Roll. It was a great class. Students are competitive. There

I'm a student leader at the Newman Center. This is a Catholic Group on campus. We help plan service projects, student activities at the church, and the newman center has 2 trips that students can go on durring spring break and fall break. I don't live in the dorms but I have been in them a few times and there are always doors open but usually there are ppl in their rooms at the time. Athletics are popular: football and gymnastics are popular to attend. My closest friends I met at Newman Center functions or at the "Crimson Nights" (a party put on by the university at the student Union.) The dorms have different things that go on on different floors, they have movie nights and sometimes go to the union to go bowlng or play pool. We have trax that picks up right by the dorms and can take you downtown where there is a multitude of things to do off campus (outdoor mall, movie theater, ice skating rink, library, coffee shops, etc.)

Anyone that will be seen as a mormon or will be forced to become LDS. The LDS who go to the U of U are the bad ones who didn't make it into BYU. There are no or very little Catholics on campus.

Tyler

Why the hell would anyone want to go to school in Utah huh? Well, the snow is pretty cool, if you like sliding around the streets in your car and being hours late for everything in the winter. But I guess if you like to ski or board then you really don't care about driving conditions. But basically, Utah really isn't that bad at all. A lot of people kinda laugh and think we're all a bunch of polygamists with non-alcoholic beer (Utah beer really isn't that bad at all!). We know how to have a good time here in the SLUT (Salt Lake, UT). Plus, the University of Utah is a really good school too. Academically, we have biology and chemistry departments that are in the top 10 in the nation, I think... Plus, the U is an amazing deal! With all that money you'll save on tuition, I'm sure you can find all sorts of things to entertain yourself with!

I remember reading somewhere that the University of Utah was ranked as like the seventh most "gay-unfriendly" campus in the country, but I beg to differ. The LGBTQ community on campus is very close, yet small. But come on, I mean there are gay people everywhere, and I guess sure there probably are a lot of closeted gay people here in Salt Lake, but I've found Salt Lake to be very accepting of me. The percentage of gay people in Salt Lake is surprisingly very high! You might not guess that the mormon capitol of the world is also home to just as many flamers!

Don't be afraid to come to Utah because of the mormons. If anything, you should want to come and show them that you don't care if being gay makes you a sinner. I love having missionaries over to my place for a lesson, but that's only because I have a slight crush on one of them...

To some degree, but mostly you'll find that the majority of people are not mormon, meaning they are actually real, free-thinking people, not clones of Joseph Smith.

Basically, because the University of Utah has such a huge student body, there is a huge array of students. You've got the really competitive pre-med students who are all working their asses off to get into the U's med school, but then you also have the ski-bums who really don't care too much about anything more than powder conditions up at the Bird.

Will

Salt Lake is a growing urban center, with an amazing amount to do. I think there is often a sense that if you don't enjoy skiing or outdoor recreation there is little to do here, but there are cultural events, festivals, and activities downtown every weekend.

Not at all. The University of Utah has a very diverse student body, and there is a sense that there is space enough for everyone to be unique. There is an overall open, friendly, and tolerant attitude on campus, with many student-led initiatives to increase multicultural awareness and social justice. As a gay man, I felt safe and welcome. I loved my time at the University of Utah.

The Gender Studies department is truly a special place. The professors learn your name, you know the other students, and it has the feel of a much smaller, liberal arts college. The courses were discussion based, there was a good deal of emphasis placed on discussion and writing ability, as well as developing your own professional voice.

Conservative, fleece-wearing, LDS White people.

Jacob

I see a big divergence in the student body, mostly between those from out of state and those from Utah. This could also, more or less, be equated with being Mormon or not. I think it's very good for these two groups to mix. Most Utah Mormons live in a bubble (I'm speaking from experience, here).

mike

the best thing about utah is the gay population. in down town salt lake the per capita percentage is the 3rd highest in the U.S. behind san fransisco and dupont in chicago.if i could change one thing about utah it would be the closed minded and unaccepting part of religion. i dont like how people are blindly following something that other people tell them. children are given a religion and are told to do it because it is good. if the child was given the oprotunity to choose then they can decide for themselves what is good and what is not, then the choice will be more meaningfull. in my opinion, children should be taught to think for themselves and question things they are doing so they can find reasons why they are here in the first place. i like having the large school. when people hear that i go to utah, they ask things like: so are you mormon? do they sell alcohol in utah? or are you the only gay in utah? i spend most of my time in the math buildings and in the math tutoring center. just like every other math major. then when i get a chance i come to the LGBT resource center. my opinion of my utah administrators is varied. i feel that some are very supportive and have helped me a lot. while others have oppressed me and made me think twice why i am here. my biggest controversy on campus is the gun police. i will leave my opinions to myself on that one. i think there is a lot of school pride. an experience i will always remember are the many residents halls experiences with friends.

they are definately accurate to the majority, BUT for those that are not in the majority it is obvious that they are not part of the norm and that creates a big disconect in our student population.

there are some professors that know my name. yes. my favorite class is gymnastics, becuase i teach it. my least favorite class is foundations of analysis or my multicultural education class. i try to spend time with professors outside of class but some of them are not very inviting. they think their research is more important than an undergraduate student. i feel some classes more than others are geared toward getting a job.

i am most involved in the residents halls. and NO most residents in the halls do not leave their door open. Ther are the few that have their door open and willing to get to know other people though. i meet my closest friends when i go to social events or parties with other friends i know. frats and sororities are important for the non working white straight male and female. BUT are just an anoyance to anyone else. as a white gay male i know i will not be harmed if i go to a frat party or event, but the issure is i dont feel comfortable. i feel like i wont be accepted especially because in my experiences i cant tell you how many frat guys i have heard say "thats so gay." last weekend i cheered at the basketball game and hung out with my boyfriend. then went swimming with my gay swim team, worked, and did homework.

there is the obvious LDS stereotype. which plays into the graduating at the age of 24 instead of 22.

Kai

Name one thing you'd change: If I could change anything about Utah, I would have everybody be more open-minded. I preface my statement by saying that I have lived here my entire life and this problem has been evident for the whole of it. It seems that people here are either ignoring you completely, (that is, if you're a pedestrian!) condemning you based on religious beliefs, or just otherwise trying to get you to change your ways instead of being more tolerant themselves. The culture in Utah does not see the dangers in censorship and will not hesitate to shut down people and ideas which do not conform with Church Doctrine. Even in spheres (such as a University) where religion should not have influence over policy somehow a religious agenda continues to be inserted into everyday life. The Best thing about Utah: The cost of living in Utah is very cheap. I'm buying a condo downtown for less than $100,000 where in a more metropolitan city I'd have to pay at least triple that for a much worse and smaller place.

LGBTQ Groups on campus: I am an active member of the Queer Student Union at the U, which is an organization for LGBTQ students. They were wonderful in helping me get the courage to come out of the closet to the rest of my friends and eventually my family. It was also great to be able to make friends who were in a similar situation. Politically aware? I do not think that students are politically aware and active. Everybody on campus has an opinion on important issues, but when it comes down to it, they rarely have the basic facts, and even more infrequently, actually do something about the issue. In the rare instances when a student is both aware and active, it is usually from a radical right position condemning us all to Hell for being Atheists... or a PETA fanatic condemning us to Hell for wearing leather.

Well, there ARE a LOT of Mormons at the U, but there are also a lot of non-Mormons and ex-Mormons like myself. There is also a high concentration of LGBTQ students here, again, like me. As for Jell-O and other Mormon-related stereotypes, I'm the only person I know that loves Jell-O, including people I know that are Mormon, and like I said, I'm not Mormon. As for race, well, it is predominately white, but there is an increasing number of international students and students of color and there are quite a few student organizations out there to support them.

Class participation: Class participation is not common. It seems that in every class I've taken, and I'm a junior now spanning multiple departments, there are maybe 3 people who ever speak up and everyone else just sits there like a zombie hoping for an edible brain to stumble by. My professors that like a lot of class participation have seemed frustrated and have resorted in many cases to bribes and punishment to get the deadwood to speak up. When they do, it's just to parrot back something that has already been said. Getting a job or learning for learning's sake? I think that it is definitely geared for the workforce. This is evidenced by popular opinion of graduate degrees in any field other than law, business or medicine and the liberal arts entirely which is, "Why bother?" I think people here are so focused on starting a family and getting to be "Adults" (whatever that is supposed to mean) that they've lost curiosity and ingenuity. People here, instead of taking courses they are interested in but are ignorant about, take courses as easy as possible and as similar to previous courses as possible.

I lived in the dorms until just recently, and it is not the thing to do if you're looking to build a social life...unless you're a perpetually drunken Freshman looking to get groped by the football team. This may sound outrageous, but so were my experiences with my roommates and pretty much everybody in my building.

There is a stereotype that all Utahns are Mormon and/or polygamous. Also, that they eat a lot of Jell-O and get married at a very young age, but these are related to the Mormon thing. Also, there is a stereotype that everybody is white.

Annie

- Its air quality may not be at its prime, but overall, Utah is a beautiful, incredibly diverse and quiet state. It truly has something to satisy everyone. From newlyweds, to young families, to older families, big and small, to singles who crave partying, etc. Even though its daily life isn't as wild as NYC's, its night life, bars, clubs, and restaurants are emerging as some of the best places to satisfy a growing young adult community. - My school could be considered large, especially since it's a commuter school so it has a few meeting places throughout the valley. Overall, though big, it becomes quite small once you're used to walking around in it. Buildings/classes are within 5-10 minutes of each other and there are always hidden pathways you can take to get somewhere faster. - As I mentioned earlier, we BLEED red. Well, figuratively at least. We go crazy during games and events. We sport U of U clothing anywhere.

-As I mentioned before, the U tollerates all kinds of behavior, clothing, religious/sexual affiliation, ethnicities, etc. In fact, there are actually groups that celebrate each of these differnet aspects, teh things that make us who we are. There are various religious groups, ethnic groups, one LGBT group... - There's also a Diversity Board within the U's Student Government. - Most U of U students are from anywhere in the valley. Because it's a commuter campus, people drive or take the bus/TRAX from all around Salt Lake City and surrounding towns. Some are from outside Utah and a few are from outside the U.S.

- Overall, the U is an EXCELLENT choice for someone who wants a quality education for a FRACTION of the cost of an Ivy. Its professors are top-notch, research programs are uncomparable, and its closeness to and tollerance of everything make it an enjoyable place.

- Actually, the U's surprisingly liberal; you can do whatever you can whenever you want to. Not everyone is a Mormon either. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love it: The majority of the people I interact with are not. I consider the U like a haven fo

- The U is BIG, compared to smaller, private liberal arts schools. Outsiders may complain that it's so big, that you don't get any contact with the professor/instructor. But it's the very opposite that is true. If you approach your professor at the end of class or during his office hours and you show him how interested you're in his class, not only will he know your name, he will care a lot about you. Besides, for example my in Chem class tehre are about 200+ students. But it has been split up into approx. 30-people discussion groups which meet at different scheduled times during the week for quizzes and to review the hw. A T.A. is assigned to a couple DG's and when they meet, the T.A. is in close contact w/teh fewer students, thus making it easier on both him AND us to comprehend the topic and get less intimidated when asking questions. - Class participation is NOT required (only a few classes mandate it), but some professors definitely go out of their way to make it seem so. Some may provide incentives that make it less "tempting" for us to miss class. Again in my Chem class AND DG meetings, for example, I get to have 1 lowest test score + 2 lowest quiz scores dropped ONLY IF I miss less than 3 classes of each. On the other hand, a few classes are so small (~20 people) that the instructor is pratically mandated to regulate attendance.

- The most important group around campus is ASUU (our Student Government) and UPC (which plans monthly parties on campus). - A group I'm affiliated with, Student Interfaith Council, specializes in braking down common walls differnet religious groups might put against each other and brings different people together--all so others can understand more about their faiths. We even attend each other's services. - Besides the typical--movies, dining-- there are clubs in Salt Lake City that outlaw drinking, a Planetarium, various gardens and parks, many shops and malls, etc.

Number 1 stereotype: That everyone's Mormon--and therefore the environment at "the U" is very constricted. Others include: - The fact that we DESPISE our rival all-Mormon school, BYU, and when it comes to sports, we bleed RED for our teams. - Since Utah has beautiful mountains and an amazing outdoor scenery, it is believed that U of U students live for hard core outdoor adventures. - Finally, and for this resembling Salt Lake Community College a bit, U students are mostly non-traditional, that is, instead of being your average high school grads, MORE than half of the U of U communinty is made up of, shall I say, older students who entered after having taken some time off to work or travel or start a family.

University of Utah administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.