Valparaiso University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Valparaiso University

Mark

This school is nothing but a scam. If anyone is brainwashed by their upbringing about doing well in school, going to a good private college, getting a good paying job, I recommend to re-think on what you've been instilled in you during your childhood. Especially if you grew up poor/middle class, I'd re-think on going to such an expensive school when an in-state school would be just fine. If you plan on taking out a bunch of loans and hope you can pay them after you land that dream job, think again! It's better to go to an in-state public school because they're just as good and you save at least 20k per year! Don't go into debt another 80k just for an overrated private college education! Don't fall for the religious bullshit either, my whole atmosphere as a student was filled with kids who didn't give a damn about religion. And to add to this, their computer science department is absolutely terrible. The professors are super lazy and don't teach you shit. They do not get you job ready at all. Good luck re-learning everything in preparing for job interviews.

Emanuel

As a student, you do not want to come to Valparaiso University. As a black student you really do not want to attend Valparaiso. Tuition costs rise each year and sometimes the aid doesn't cover as much of the ballooning costs as it once did. Educational curriculum is flawed in the sense that they make you take a course called CORE (ENG101) which equates to 10 credits freshman year, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a university that accepts them should you wish to transfer. Ten credit hours is a lot to leave on the table when transferring. For black students the only things that make it worth is are organizations designed to be safe spaces for us such as Black Student Organization. The dining hall employees have proven to be exclusionary/discriminatory to black students so warning!

Brandon

It is overall a nice college experience. Not much of a party school and is not BIG on athletics but it is possible to have a good time and catch some good sports games and matches. Food and housing needs improvement. Great overall for what private universities can offer.

Hailee

I think Valparaiso University is a great school that offers a very personal environment to learn in. You get to know your professors personally and they know you. Classes sizes are small so there is quiet a bit of discussion. The entire campus community is great because you get to meet so many people and see them often. There is at least one club, sport, or organization for everyone and often more. There is no way to not have a great experience at this school.

Krystal

Valparaiso University is a unique school that emphasizes on academics, community service and leadership. There are many great opportunities from study abroad to mentoring the community's elementary school and participating in large events like the Martin Luther King Day Justice celebration. The professors are always available and the best part is that they actually know who you are and want to get to know who you are as a person. This is a no distraction school and I love Valpo!

Felicia

Valparaiso is focused on the individual, each student feels appreciated and loved by the community and the professors. Though it's not perfect, it feels like home.

Brianna

Overall, I believe Valparaiso University is a good school and mainly because the students and staff are so welcoming and inclusive. The academics are outstanding and there are plenty of opportunities for students to obtain internships, jobs, research opportunities, and majors/minors to choose from. The only thing holding this university back is he administration which at times is not the nest with communicating with individual students. However after several attempts, many things can become resolved.

Paige

Valparaiso University is a great school. The professors and staff are wonderful and welcoming. It's small, but it feels safe. Everyone is so kind there. There's so many opportunities to get involved on campus. There are always clubs or other activities going on that are fun to go to. I'm lucky to have such a great school.

Sara

Valparaiso University is a place that I have learned to call home. It is a place where everybody on campus is friendly to one another and students always want to be involved with all the different activities.

Natalie

I love Valpo! It is small compared to what I have seen, but I love it. The people there are very nice and helpful and the professors make the classes fun. There are so many opportunities to find something that you like to do. There are so many people that are ready to make you their friend. My experience there so far has been amazing!

Thomas

Before attending Valparaiso University, I was hesitant on attending a religious university since I have no religious knowledge or interest. However, I have enjoyed my time here so much. Everyone is so friendly here and all the different classes that I have taken have really expanded my understanding of the outside world.

Shannon

Overall, I am in love with this school. From class size to availability, anything I could possibly need or want is on or near campus. The freshmen dorms aren't the best but there's still lots of fun to be had in them. There's always events going on so it is impossible for me to be bored. I am definitely glad to be apart of such a welcoming community and I look forward to the years to come here.

Anna

About an hour east of Chicago lives this small, yet incredibly diverse Lutheran university. At Valpo, students can form tight knit relationships with professors and peers while also discovering their niche in a student organization, club, or sport. Whether it be karate club, the storm chasing team, or the Muslim Student Association, this campus has something to offer for everyone. On top of that, although the academics and course loads can be challenging, Valpo has a plethora of academic tools that are committed to student's success. Thanks to Valparaiso University, I've gained lifelong friends as well as lifelong knowledge.

Eli

I loved my time at Valparaiso. The academic environment and the community feel on campus made for a great four years -- I can't imagine having gone anywhere else for undergrad. I felt prepared to think in the real world due to the strong liberal arts focus.

Grecia

Valparaiso University and town is a lively place but, luckily, students still manage to find quiet places to study. There are parties to go to and downtown to explore. It’s especially nice during the holidays with decorations and an ice-skating rink. There is a lot of room to run around and the school holds events students and residents can partake in. Class sizes are decent - my smallest class was 20 students and largest was 55. Dorm rooms are nice, but there have been some complaints, like slow internet or bugs.

Faith

Valparaiso University is a great school with a very welcoming environment ranging from the administration themselves all the way to most of the student body. They give out very helpful information on a daily basis and it's hard to be lost or to fail because they make sure that there are resources always available to your advantage.

I absolutely love attending Valparaiso University. Everywhere on campus there is a feeling of community and acceptance. I have friends in so many different fields and walks of life and there is never any pressure to have to "fit in"- you just automatically do. Valpo really promotes inclusiveness and openmindedness and it has really helped me widen my perspective on everything (life, religion, politics, relationships.) The environment promotes academic success and the professors are always willing to help. There are resources for whatever you need and organizations or clubs for anything you want to do. It has been such a great experience and I can't wait to see what the next two years there bring!

Alyssa

Valparaiso University is an excellent school. I have learned a great deal, not only about my education, but regarding my community and peers as well. The university has a very diverse student body, and they offer an immense variety of activities and organizations outside of the classroom. The ensure their students can succeed as long as they are willing to put effort into their education. Professors are generally very approachable and knowledgeable. The student body seems mostly very welcoming and friendly. The facilities are excellent, including dining areas, fitness center, library, book store... Generally just a very great university!

I really enjoy Valparaiso University. I am currently in my third year and I have lived on-campus all three years. The housing is pretty good. If there is anything wrong with anything in the room, you simply put in a work request and maintenance comes to fix things pretty quickly. The campus is also very small and it is easy to get to know everyone and even the professors because the class sizes are fairly small. Overall, I really like the university.

candace

Valparaiso University is a great place to receive education. The nursing building needs to be updated to accommodate the influx of nursing students. The simulation room also needs to be updated to allow for more opportunities for students to participate in hands on practice in a risk free environment.

Valparaiso University is definitely a great choice if you thrive in smaller settings and wish to be on a first name basis with your professors. Except for a few gen eds, the classes are all small enough that you get to know the other students and the professor very well and are able to have meaningful conversations while not getting distracted from learning. Professors are always willing to help students that have questions. A few complaints are the requirement to live on campus for three years and the fact that there is a required meal plan amount you must buy into for the first three years. Looking past that, it is a great place to earn your degree.

Bradley

Overall Valparaiso University is a prestigious school that focuses on the success of it's students. It has a good culture of respect and inclusiveness on campus where many students want to engage your opinions and get to know you more. I have enjoyed my time at VU getting to know fellow students, my professors, and other faculty on campus. VU has many resources for the small population it serves and has over 100 extracurricular groups on campus. There is always something to do on campus.

Emma

Sometimes I feel as if I shouldn't have chosen Valpo, but then I realize there's no place I'd rather be. The small class sizes really engage you, and though I'm introverted, I feel like I wouldn't learn better anywhere else. Everyone is friendly, including the teachers. It's a great place to go to school.

As a freshman, I detested this university. I am originally from California, so coming here was a big shock to me. I wanted to transfer to a different university as a freshman, but didn't have sufficient credits, so I was forced to stay at this university paying a tuition that was ridiculously priced. I said to myself, "If I have to stay at this university, I am going to do what my heart is telling me to do." So, I studied abroad in Paris for an entire year, and there, found my passion and calling for political science. It has made coming back to this university a bit easier. Now that I know that I want to be the US Ambassador to France (it's an appointed position, so it will take me some time to reach this goal), and a professor of political science in France, things are clearer for me and being at this university is not as difficult. This is a good place to study if you know what you want to do. That way, you'll be supported by faculty just as motivated and interested in that domain, you'll have opportunities to start clubs or organisations. For example, I noted after coming back from France to Valpo that we didn't have a political news section for VUTV (Valparaiso University TV) or a political news section for the weekly university newspaper, The Torch. Now, I am the director/founder of the political news section for VUTV and the political specialist for The Torch (I have one page a week to share political information). Things are possible at this university, but one must be motivated, outgoing and innovative if s/he wishes to make a difference. But, the world is like that. So, being at Valpo is a great place to practice.

Chloe

Honestly, the first visit I took to campus was the one I needed in order to confirm I belonged here. Firstly, the other two colleges I had visited prior pushed their Christian involvement upon me. I didn't entirely hear of VU's Lutheran affiliation until we neared and entered the humongous chapel. Even so, I've met so many diverse people since the beginning of the school year. I have my reasons to dislike living in the dorms, but it's also my first example of living away from my parents that isn't just a week away at camp only to see them immediately following the end of activities. I feel like an actual adult, and bond with my dorm mates, even the ladies I don't necessarily get along with. The faculty and staff I have met through my on-campus job and in classes are actually the nicest I've met anywhere, including my high school (save the small group that I became friends with back in the day). They're always willing to stop and chat, ask how I'm doing, and check on how I'm doing with the schoolwork and comprehension. People are going to disregard my compliments to these adults, but I CAN confirm there have been a few bad apples of the bunch. You just have to find those people you do get along with. I also LOVE the diverse groups and extracurriculars always going on during the semesters. I was able to join two groups and have really opened up with myself and others, really grown into my shoes, because of how welcome I've felt since the beginning of the year.

I love Valpo- the instructors are accessible, encouraging and friendly. My classes are challenging and tutoring is available at no cost if needed. Valpo cares about their students and provides us with plenty of fun activities as well as quiet places to study. The support staff is also great, going the extra mile to answer any questions we might have. I consider myself fortunate to be here!

Siobhan

Valparaiso University overall is a great private school to attend. They have small classes and great professors to work with. The professors are very friendly and very easy to work with. Valparaiso has very nice facility to offer and work with. The extracurricular games are very fun to attend.

Maria

Valpo is overall an amazing place! Between the city of Valparaiso and the university itself, there is plenty of recreational activities available. The campus has something going on all the time. There are movies (lights, camera, action)shown almost every weekend, sporting events (Go Crusaders!), parties, concerts(and theater!), and free food (yumm). There is something for everyone. The class sizes are small--my largest class so far has been 30 students--and the professors truly care about their students. The classes are challenging but not overwhelming; however, it is important to manage your time and seek help when you need it. The college has so many recourses and professors are always willing to help you out. Office hours are preferable but they will always help at any time if asked. My fellow students are great people! To describe them in one word, they are genuine. The people at Valpo are truly genuine people. They are driven, compassionate, and charismatic. Everyone is willing to help others out and have some fun while working hard. There is really nothing bad about Valpo. At Valpo, everyone can be themselves and college is truly what you make it.

Jamari

While attending Valparaiso University, I came to the conclusion the Valparaiso University is the place for me. Being an incoming freshman, who's on the football can be hard because there's always expectations and standards that you try to reach and maintain. In doing so your not alone. You have the help from your teammates and coaches. Other students supporting at the games rooting you on and even after giving you words of encouragement. Everyone wants to see you do your best every single time. The Valparaiso sports teams and community gives your that welcome home feeling, as if you known every all your life.

Abigail

I love Valpo. I have had the best few years of my life here so far but that is definitely because of the people. There is a friend group for everyone and everyone is basically kind to everyone. The party scene is mostly on the weekends and are in fraternity houses. teachers are always willing to help but take the classes very seriously so are not generally easy A's. It can get really cold in the winter and this past year it rained A LOT. The food is eh, but we have two locations for coffee which is basically a college students staple anyways.

Leonardo

Valparaiso University is a very welcoming and open school. It allows individuals from completely different backgrounds, including different countries, to feel accepted and comfortable at all times. The classes themselves bring about interaction among individuals that seem the most unlikely to have anything in common. All of the organizations around campus plan events that all students can attend and the athletic sporting events can always be looked forward to throughout the academic year.

Preston

I really do enjoy the school. There is not anything super special about it. I would like to see some improvements to it. In which they are currently doing. I see our school growing within the next decade or two. We have a lot of stuff for a variety of people. If someone was to say there was not something here for them, they obviously have been walking around with their eyes closed.

Autumn

Students and staff here are so kind. I felt welcome immediately and I knew it was the school for me. They have a 5 year psych master's program which interested me most but I was worried about not being "religious" enough. Valpo does not push religion onto students and I love that about this school!

Lacey

Valparaiso University is an institution where there is a place for everybody. You will always be greeted with a friendly smile or a small wave that makes you feel apart of campus. Whether you are a lover of the arts, an avid volunteer, or intrigued by STEM programs, Valpo has it. Your faith can be found or become stronger at Valpo, while inspiring a diverse and inclusive environment for all of its students.

Courtney

Valparaiso University has a welcoming atmosphere the moment you walk on to campus. A few aspects that drew me to VU were the small class sizes, the personable professors, and the amazing teaching program they offered. In my three years at Valparaiso University, I have been not only been able to meet one on one with my professors for help, but also the chair of the education department; I feel this shows how personable the campus is. Another aspect of VU that I love is the Sorority and Fraternity life; it has led me to multiple leadership opportunities on and off campus. Overall Valparaiso University has constantly been providing me with an amazing education and opportunities that will benefit me in my post-grad life.

Kiersten

Valparaiso University is very prestigious. It is extremely safe. The staff make everyone feel welcomed and comfortable. Everything is in walking distance, which is convenient. The main cafe closes at 7 or 8 pm depending on the day, which sucks, because the smaller cafe has minimum choices.

I really enjoy attending Valpo. The students are all very welcoming and it is very easy to meet new people. I enjoy walking on campus because the campus is beautiful. I also enjoy class discussion they are always very stimulating. overall, Valpo is great.

Lucas

I am very happy with my decision to attend Valparaiso University. I feel comfortable there. The professors are very accessible and helpful. The atmosphere is very friendly and caring. There is always something to do on campus and the surrounding area is very welcoming to students.

Janaye

Valparaiso University has a very tight knit community, which is great for studying and doing homework. However, if you are used to big crowds and tons of noise then this place might drive you a little crazy. Personally, it did not fit the description of college that I got from other college students before I graduated from high school. No one wears pajamas, very rarely do people skip class, and the teachers learn your name. These qualities keep you on task for a great education, but sometimes can be annoying. The academics are good, but there was not a lot to do on campus besides got to the recreational center.

I am so happy I selected Valparaiso. The Nursing program is excellent. I start clinicals my sophomore year. My professors are accessible to me when I need help. I loved the dorm and all the activities that we could participate in. I joined a sorority and we do a ton of community service, which I love. Valparaiso has a cute downtown that we can walk to for different restaurants and shops and Chicago is an hour away.

Alexis

Hi everyone. My name is Alexis Rudolph. I live in Portage Indiana and I attend school at Valparaiso University. The environment at Valparaiso University is unlike that of many universities. We have students from across 50 different countries. In my first year at Valparaiso University, I had the privilege of meeting and becoming very close friends with one of the students from Pakistan. His name was Abdus. I spent the entirety of the first semester learning about his culture and beliefs. We taught each other various things about our customs. He taught me how to speak a few words in his native language, Urdu: such as One… Two… Three… Four… Five… are equivalent to Ek, Do, Teen, Char, Panch. Another thing I learned is about his religious beliefs. As a Muslim, he believes in no physical contact until marriage, even an innocent handshake. We spent many hours exchanging stories and discussing political ideologies. His main beliefs revolve around the idea of placing women above all other entities. I am extremely grateful for the opportunities and friendships that Valparaiso University has provided me with. I have learned new information that I will carry with me throughout my future endeavors. And I have a friendship that I will cherish forever.

Eleanor

I love it! The environment on campus just makes it feel like home and there is always something for you to participate in! I highly recommend Valparaiso University to anyone that is looking for a school that has a small family feel but a large campus. Campus is so big that there is always the ability to get some exercise!

Joshua

Valparaiso University is unique for a number of reasons. One of the top reasons is the eclectic nature of the activities that are available. Some of the extracurricular activities include: lecture series over relevant cultural topics, recreational sports, interest groups such as the Asian-American Pacific Islander Coalition, and social organizations. These are just a few examples of the way that Valparaiso University provides the opportunity for experiential learning while in school. In addition, the Valpo community is a very tightly knit group. The smaller size of the university allows students the opportunity to get to know their professors on a personal level, and to engage with other students deeply. Overall, Valparaiso University will provide an excellent experience to any student who is looking to expand his or her horizons.

Valparaiso has always been one of my favorite universities near me and I have wanted to go there since I was in high school. Their facilities, such as the library, cafeteria, and classrooms are what make it so desirable. Their entire campus is so beautiful and it makes you feel at home when you go to it.