Vanderbilt University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Vanderbilt University

Jamya

Vanderbilt is a prestigious institution that will allow me to be the best of the best.Vanderbilt University is ranked #14 in National Universities. This schools is the on the top ten best medical center program and people love the surrounding area because Nashville is a great place.

Bianca

Vanderbilt University is nationally known for its academics, happy students, accessible professors, and strong sense of community. While these qualities are obvious throughout and within campus, it is only in times of change and challenge, that they really come through. During the recent tornado and coronavirus outbreaks, I have been impressed with the dedication that students, faculty, and administration have to each other. Professors have been affected just as much as students and have been amazing in their commitment to their students and to learning, even during this time. I am sure that when everything returns to normal, the university and campus life will be more vibrant than ever.

Alexandria

Vanderbilt is a fantastic school with a strong and rising reputation. The academics are great, the campus is beautiful and Nashville is a fantastic college city. However, it can be a very cliquish school. Students with different personalities, style, backgrounds and interests from the traditional vandy stereotype often have a harder time. Overall I am satisfied with Vanderbilt, but if I could do it all again, I would not have come here.

S

If you're white and financially well-off, you can have a great experience. Greek Life is huge and allows you to have so many friends and fun events that you can be oblivious to everything else going on. If that is not you, you see nearly everything. They don't often listen to students past what its necessary for them to act as if they do. Meaning, they'll throw a bone every now and then to make it seem like they listen while ignoring 20 other issues brought to them. Classes are difficult for no reason and the stress is normalized as if it is like this at all top colleges, but it simply isnt true.

Kim

I love the program here, and the closeness within my program makes me fee l really heard

Madison

I hope to attend Vanderbilt for the 2017-2018 school year. :)

Katie

Vanderbilt is uniquely located in the center of Nashville, which allows students the opportunity to get involved in the world outside of school in terms of internships, volunteering, and culture. The outside resources combined with the stellar faculty and the engaged student community is helpful for creating an environment of growth.

While not very diverse, Vanderbilt is great concerning academics and career-oriented learning. I love that they encourage you to intern, volunteer, or study abroad to make sure that your intended career is something that you enjoy doing. The campus is great and is very close to downtown Nashville and (some) professors live in the dorms with you.

Vignesh

I greatly enjoy attending Vanderbilt University. The academics here are challenging, but not overwhelmingly difficult. The students who come here are very smart, and care about learning. Greek life is big here, and pretty much unavoidable, so if you don't like Greek Life you should take that into consideration. The school is situated in Nashville, which is a great college city. There is always stuff to do in Nashville. Overall my experience with Vanderbilt has been good. Vanderbilt is a great place to enjoy the college experience and get a great education.

I am in a graduate program so I can't speak much to undergraduate life. But for graduate students it is a very positive environment. The faculty are a highlight of the program. They are engaging, available, knowledgeable and connected in te community. The academics and research are top in the country. Love the campus and the classroom environment!

Matthew

Vanderbilt is an incredible academic institution, and prides itself on being a regional leader in various fields. Vanderbilt certainly contributes to the surrounding community through employment and spending. There are some areas for improvement, namely the services available for short or long term psychological counseling.

Rolanda

I feel that Vanderbilt is the perfect school for me to go to. The campus is great and everything is nearby. However, since the school is almost downtown the availability for parking isn’t so swell because there is a lot of traffic during the rush hour and at the hospital. Other than that, I can’t wait to become a Commodore!

Leila

Overall, I LOVE Vanderbilt University. It's been my dream school every since 5th grade, so I truly mean it when I say that attending school here is a dream come true. I love how diverse the student body is because it's allowed me to broaden my own horizons and see a variety of viewpoints from a different perspective. Vanderbilt has so many opportunities to get involved and really makes an effort to cater to all types of diverse populations. I can't imagine being this happy at any other school!

Miranda

I absolutley love my school. Academically, the professors and classes are unmatched. Class size is almost always small, and professors are extremely available. Classes are interesting, and make you actually want to go to class! I have met so many people doing amazing things, and there is so much room to grow and change. Our athletics are awesome, we're in the SEC so we play very good teams. Socially, there is something for everyone. The on-campus experience is unparalleled. Because we all live on campus, there is such a diverse array of student orgs and activities to get involved with, including sports, Greek life, and clubs.

Morgan

Vanderbilt is a top tier, energetic, intelligent, and opportunity-filled institution that I love. During my time at Vandy (12-16) I made lifelong friends, connected with phenomenal professors, and partook in exciting and enriching academic and extracurricular opportunities. Best school for me, hands down.

George

Vanderbilt is a great school for all aspects. There is a variety of extra curricular activities that anyone would like, from sports to greek life to arts to religious groups. The only downside of Vandy is that the academics are very challenging and you may find yourself falling behind if you're not on top of your work.

It is an extremely happy place. No student seems to be overly unhappy or stressed. A very positive environment that encourages student learning in a relaxing setting. The professors are always available and always maintain objectivity when faced with important issues.

Nya

I believe that Vanderbilt has definitely earned its spot as one of the "Southern Ivy League" schools in regards to academics. The courses offered are indeed rigorous but worth it, and there is a large variety of classes (the History of Rock 'n Roll being a freshman favorite). The university is in a wonderful spot in Nashville, not too far from the major attractions, and Vanderbilt often provides opportunities for students to easily venture out and enjoy the city. Surprisingly (at least to me), volunteering is a huge part of campus life, and many students enjoy participating in the local charity events or helping out at local schools. Vanderbilt also does an amazing job making sure that everyone has a chance to participate in some of its more expensive events. Nevertheless, campus life is not all that it's made out to be. Although it is a "diverse" campus, there is not really a diverse lifestyle. It's easy for one to stick to groups where they are most comfortable and never venture out, and that is what most do. There is intense polarization on campus, although many don't openly acknowledge it. However, Vanderbilt is doing its best to change that, and there has been some improvement in the area. Overall, I believe that Vanderbilt University is indeed an amazing school, one that students should not automatically take off of their list simply because it is private, expensive, and predominately white.

Heream

I love Vandy! The freshman dorms are really nice and located conveniently close to the dining hall and mini gym. There are lots of cute little shops and cafes close to campus and a park where I like to jog that's also really close. The VandyVans are a convenient nighttime shuttle option in terms of safety. Everyone is pretty friendly and people study hard but also love to hang out and have fun!

DeAnna

Vandy tries really hard to ensure that everyone feels like they belong. There are so many clubs, you are bound to find one for you. Greek life is big, but not mandatory. There are 7 out of 9 of the NPHC fraternities and sororities. Freshman year is phenomenal and it sets you up for an amazing 4 years.

Maia

Vanderbilt University 100% lives up to its expectation of tough academic rigor. However, the teachers are passionate about their subjects and the students they are teaching. The classes are definitely challenging because the professors expect a lot from Vanderbilt students. However, all of my classes have been phenomenal and enriching. Although the school is strong academically, socially it can be better. Yes, there is always something to do on campus and the school does not lack in programming/encouraging students to explore Nashville. However, the school is somewhat self-segregated, whether between races or greek affiliation. This makes it hard to socialize outside your friend groups.

Noelle

I love Vanderbilt! I am challenged academically, have great friends, and have access to great teachers, research opportunities and facilities. Vanderbilt provides academic rigor while encouraging balance. Students are not competitive and many are service-oriented.

Carissa

I loved the school when I visited earlier this week. There was a great atmosphere and my tour guide was amazing. Her name is Mary, I believe, and she was very patient, informative, and eager. She answered every and all questions and even allowed us to meet professors on campus. The campus appeared to be well kept up and very spread out.

Marcelyn

For the most part the education I received from Vanderbilt was rather good, but outside of the textbook view I found the school lacking in tolerance, diversity, and culture. To be fair, I received my undergraduate degree from there nearly 20 years ago, and I've heard it has become much more diverse and cosmopolitan since then. However, when I attended, if you weren't from the South, or if you weren't interested in studying law, medicine, or the politics and history of the Western world, it had little to offer. I spent about a year trying to get special approval to create my own major focused on East Asia, to include language study; it was finally approved but the process was so time-consuming and stressful, like being up against City Hall, that I nearly transferred. Additionally, if you don't go Greek, be ready to carve out your own social path, which I did and really enjoyed. The campus choir was also a great social activity with wonderful people.

Esther

Vanderbilt University is an excellent academic school; however, due to the selection of “high-performing” students, the mindset of the general population is unhealthy. Not only do students spend all night finishing assignments daily, other nights they lose sleep by partying in large crowds. The university’s administration is actively trying to change the culture towards tolerance, acceptance, and healthy mindsets and habits, but the population can be disappointing still.

Zoe

Though it has its flaws, it's a greats school. It's a good place to balance work and play. The environment isn't competitive even though it's prestigious, which most people enjoy. Still, the food can get tiring and the academics can be emotionally and physically taxing.

The academics are top-notch, the professors are supportive, the resources are amazing, and there are plenty of unique opportunities — like the Living Learning residential experience — that set Vandy apart. Also, the campus is an arboretum (gorgeous trees everywhere), and Centennial Park is only a five-minute walk away. There's always something to do in the City of Music, but that doesn't mean you'll have time to do it. The academics can be intense, so if you're not looking for a challenge, look somewhere else.

Jaren

The campus is a very clean and safe environment with great faculty ready to help. The student body is really friendly and their curriculum is solid. The student life is very involved with sports, extracurriculars, and different paths for different people to take. You'll get a great education out of here

Dante

Vanderbilt's admissions committees are a scam. They selected a girl from my school who got in JUST BECAUSE she was a minority, even though a much more qualified girl was flat-out-rejected. I'm talking ACT was three points higher than the minority girl, and the minority girl's involvement was nonexistent. They only care about their image, not their academics. College admissions at its worst.

Alekhya

Vanderbilt is an incredibly diverse research institution with a plethora of opportunities for all undergraduate students. The student body itself is very diverse, with over 60% of students receiving financial aid. In all honesty, racial division is apparent, but diversity and inclusion is an initiative that is at the forefront of Vanderbilt's priorities. One of the ways in which the institution attempts to integrate all first-year students is through the Commons experience. The Commons is the entirely first-year part of campus, where first-years eat, live, and socialize. In terms of academics, class sizes are rarely a barrier to attention from professors. Although some majors are known for having better professors than other, most professors are incredibly knowledgeable about their areas of expertise and are available outside of class by email, office hours, or phone. Enrollment for classes can be a little stressful, especially in the earlier years because upperclassmen are permitted to register first. For example, as an Economics major, it has been abundantly apparent that Vanderbilt does not offer enough Economics electives for all students in the major. It is typically pretty difficult to get into an elective until Junior or Senior year. However, despite the hectic class registration, almost all students manage to get the credits they need to obtain the degrees they wish to pursue. Socially, Vanderbilt is a mix of Greek and non-Greek organizations. Although about half of the student population is a member of Greek Life, it does usually not feel overwhelming. Most students have both Greek and non-Greek friends, although there are pockets of people who subscribe exclusively to one group or the other. Lastly, Vanderbilt's dorm and food offerings are above average, but often deemed not good enough. The first-year dorms are almost always amazing with large, spacious rooms. However, after the first year, students are more likely to be placed in older, run-down housing. However, the University is in the midst of tearing down all of the dorms and building residential halls to replace them. Within the next decade, all of the dorms will be pristine! And, even the dorms that aren't up to par now have incredible senses of community and make for enjoyable memories to look back on upon graduation.

Pauline

Vanderbilt isn't for everyone , and it definitely doesn't have the same cachet many other equally ranked schools hold, but don't discount it. On the surface it can seem to be your basic Southern party school (there's definitely no issues finding a place to get down), if you give it a chance you'll find a wide variety of opportunities. It is definitely weaker in terms of supporting non-STEM students, especially in regards to funding, but there is a significant humanities culture hidden in the crevices of campus/

Eghosa

Vanderbilt is an amazing school to attend! The students truly create the environment, but it isn't hard to find your own people. The classes can be challenging (especially pre-med classes) but there are many resources to keep students on track. I think my favorite thing about Vandy is the connection between faculty and students. You can see professors in the dining halls, at events etc. allowing students to have time to truly get to know their educators. The professors on campus are also very understanding of any medical or educational problems that arrive and try their best to help their students stay on track. Vanderbilt is my home through and through.

Grace

It is okay, but honestly the students make up the college experience. I came here because it was not my top school which I did not get into. However, I believe Vandy offered flexible major plans because I am currently pursuing a double major on the premed track and everything has worked out.

Kendall

I have enjoyed each of my four years at Vanderbilt. The start of my career was rough, but thanks to the resources offered at Vanderbilt, I entered my second semester with refreshed energy and an improved outlook on my college career. I have been eager to continue challenging myself and my potential ever since. I applied my new life lessons and not only improved my academic performance but expanded my horizons. Sophomore year, I started a mentorship program through our pre-med society for upperclassmen to mentor underclassmen, and I joined a research team investigating PTSD therapies at the Veteran’s Hospital. In my Junior year, I advocated for required relationship education for student groups and organized on-campus facilitators to educate our peers. I also hosted an assembly at my high school for education and prevention of unhealthy relationships. Inspired by conquering my own failures, I found not only personal success, but also ways to educate and benefit others.

Sierra

I seemed very friendly and had a nice campus.

Robert

I'm generally a pretty relaxed person, but I feel stressed almost constantly at Vanderbilt. The workload is immense if you want to maintain a high gpa in a STEM major. Campus dining is mediocre (not sure why it is always so high in the rankings, but students like to joke that Vanderbilt pays them), and the housing situation is dismal. There is constant construction and the dorm I live in is old and rarely clean (which may be why I get sick about once a month). Additionally, greek life is so large that if you are not a part of it, you are made to feel like an outsider on campus. The positive side of things is that many of the professors are willing to help students and there is a lot of opportunity on campus to get involved in extracurriculars and community service. However, overall, I can not in good conscience recommend Vanderbilt to any prospective students.