Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Quinn

Hmm the best thing about VT is the people, from ths student body to the faculty to the adminstrative staff, its truly about a sense of community and family and like every family we have our own internal tiffs but for the most part we pretty much do well together. Before April 16th when I told people that I attended VT most would go oh wow, thats a good school...now its more that oh..then OOOOOOHHHHHH, I hate that...I don't want my school to be overshadowed by the acts of one indivdual, VT is soo much more than that, it's hard working students, award winning faculty not one person.

No student would really feel out of place at VT, there is something for everyone and though sometimes it takes some searching to find like minded people, if you really want the connection it shouldnt be a big deal. It seems to me that most students @ VT are either from 757, NOVA, or lately MD....but you always have a few califonians or people from tennessee who mix up the student body, which is refreshing

I love my school I couldn't have found a better fit for me and my likes...but VT isn't for everybody...you gotta know at least some of the things you want for yourself in order to select the right school for you....and if all else fails and you didn't make the right decision you can always transfer here!!!

I've never really heard sterotypes about VT students, i'm not quite sure if that's a good or bad thing?? It may just be because not a lot of people focus on attendening VT in my area....

Athletics are a big deal a VT its second only to academics....if you don't like sports of some kind, your gonna feel wierd. But please keep in mind that sports range from football to fencing to dance to hockey, so even though we're really into our athletics its varying

In terms of professors knowing your name, its a dual effort between the student and the professor. If you make yourself know in a positive light professors are interested in getting to know the indvidual even in the large 150 person lectures. What most students don't realize is that professors have lives too that they might want to share, so if you show intrest in them as a person and not just the grade giver you'd be surprised by the positive results. I love my department everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable...it makes me want to do my best and I feed of the good vibes as much as possible. THe education is geared to both getting a job and learning just because...as an engineering major if you want to take a class in european history you can, I love that flexiblity though sometimes it take a work on the students part.

Shawn

I like the country atmosphere here at VT. One thing that I would change would be to install a trolley because although the BT takes you anywhere on roadways, I feel as if we need a trolley on internal walkways, especially on cold days. When people ask me about where I go to school, they automatically call me a "smart person" however, I'm not a genius, I just work really hard. I like our administration, they all deserve their jobs here and a remarkable individuals. Something that I really like about them is that they make it a point to remember my name once we have been introduced. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the "diversity" issue, although no one can define what this word really means. I spend most of my time in classes and at work, or studying in my room. There is a tremendous amount of school pride and no matter what day it is, there will be atleast 40% of students wearing something with "VT" on it. There is not really anything unusual about VT, it's exactly what I expected. One experience that I will always remember is when Maya Angelou came to speak. The most frequent student complains is the work load that accompanies going to such a high class school and the encouragement to be involved.

I expect for there to be people everywhere you go that do not like some sort of person. I have learned to overlook these things because I didn't come here to make friends, I came here to make money. Any student who does not feel as if they belong here will feel out of place. If you know in your heart that you are supposed to be here and you earned your way in, then you shouldn't have a problem fitting in because everyone here has something in common: we are ALL hokies. Most students wear comfortable clothing to class. Different types of students here interact all the time because sometimes they are even forced to interact because of group work, projects and research. In a dining hall, I can imagine that there would be one table of sorority or fraternity members, a table of friends, some athletes and a study group. Most VT students are from Virginia because Virginians are very proud to have such a wonderful university. Many of the students come from upper middle class and high class families. Students are very politically aware, but are very liberal at the "college age". Some students, like myself, think about money all the time and I try to budget and consider things that would allow me to know what I can look forward to in the future.

Not necessarily. People who come to Virginia Tech work hard to be here and chose to be here, therefore if there are many Caucasian students, then they worked equally as hard as anyone else to attend such a great school.

My professors do actually know my name. Part of this reason may be that my name is very unique, however, i do take time to introduce myself. My favorite class is probably engineering. Although it is very strenuous, I like all of the fun activities that we do that actually apply to the profession that we desire. I don't really have a least favorite class because I chose them. I find that students are constantly studying because if you're like me, you may end up having either a test or a quiz every day off the week, including Saturday. Vt students have intellectual conversations outside of class because most of the students here are very intellectual themselves. Some students are competitive, but being competitive is a must because one must be competitive in the business world. The most unique class that I've taken is Introduction to Theatre. The teacher was just a very interesting lady, Susanna Rinehart is her name. My department is the Engineering department. Many of the professors and GTA's work as a team, so in class they are actually all present to ensure that they relay the acting professor's message the way that he intended. I don't really have the time to make it to the office hours of my professors, but I have found that they do answer back in a timely manner. I feel that VT's academic requirements are very strict, but they have high standards and I wouldn't expect less. The education is about getting a very large amount of knowledge about your major and other aspects so that you are what the job market wants, they will come to you in place of you hunting and searching for a job.

Some people feel as if Virginia Tech is a "white school" due to the fact that about 74% of the students who attend are of the Caucasian race. However, these people fail to realize that although there is a large population of Caucasian students, there are still thousands of students who are of different races due to the approximately 26000 people who attend.

The most popular organizations would have to be VTU and BSA, solely because they put on the events that students look forward to coming out to such as concerts that they're favorite bands will be taking part in. Depending on the floor, class and type of person, doors can be found open or closed. Athletic events, primarily football is number one here at VT. The dating scene is not something that I observe because I have been happily taken before I became a student here. I met my closest friends in classes and on my hall at the first hall meeting. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I must be up doing work and studying. Traditions that happen each year are the step shows, balls that they sororities and fraternities put on and the concerts in fall and spring. People can party any day of the week if there are no classes. I feel as if sororities and fraternities are important because although they do not broadcast it, they do a tremendous amount of community service and outreach. Last weekend, I attended the BOC Culture show and Winterfest. I go to sleep on Saturday nights because the weekend is the only time that I get to relax. Off campus, I usually walk around Walmart or go out to IHOP with a group of friends.

I love the campus lay out, and how everything is centered around the drill field. I think the size is just right, if anything maybe a little too big. Recent controversy includes what to do about students being hit by cars - use and location and abidance of crosswalks as well as drivers yielding to pedestrian right of way. I spend most of my time in Squires and GBJ. I have a high opinion of the administration. I deal a lot with the Rec Sports office and they are all wonderful. Those I have dealt with in the office of Student Affairs and the Multicultural Affairs have also been great to work with. The complaints I hear most from other students has to do with the lack of environmental efforts put forth by the university. Students, self included, would like to see more recycling and less use of wasteful materials in dining halls.

I feel like Tech is most accepting of persons from various socio-economic situations. There is also a large blend of politically active and aware students from all political views. Students often talk about how much they'll earn one day - it is often in the context of engineers bragging (sometimes joking, sometimes very seriously) about how much more they'll make as engineers than students in other fields. As far as racial experiences, there seems to be a belief amongst some students that almost all black students are here to be athletes, and that few non-athlete black students exist. I would like to see more racial diversity amongst my classes. It is not uncommon for me to have classes of only white persons. As far as LGBT interactions, I am a member of the LGBTA and have had generally positive and accepting experiences in most of my other extracurricular groups. However, there are times in classes in which I feel the other students or teachers just assume all persons present are straight - especially when topics of gender and sexuality are part of the conversation. I wish there was more awareness of the LGBT Community on campus. SafeZone is nice, but it is not enough.

Construction that interferes with commonly used pathways for students should be done over the summer, not the middle of the school year. I would also like to see Tech make a conscience effort to be more environmentally friendly as a campus. I would also like to see more advertisement and encouragement for undergraduate research positions.

I would say they are not inaccurate, but not exclusive to the Virginia Tech campus.

Stereotypes range from being "hippy, tree-hugging" liberals mixed with very conservative "back woods" hicks. There's also the stereotype of being slackers and less preppy than UVA.

Students often leave their doors open, and it makes it easy for people to make friendships or meet people freshmen year. Guest speakers tend to only be popular if it is someone relatively famous. I wish more students would go to the lesser known speakers - and that departments and teachers were more active in encouraging and informing students of such events around campus. I met my closest friends through clubs, as well as those who lived on my hall freshmen year. I wish I met more people through class, however it is often hard in giant lectures when people don't interact. If I'm up that late on a Tuesday, it is because I'm doing homework. The only tradition that really comes to mind is a giant snowball fight each year. Some people party every weekend, others a few times a month, others never. There are even those that party multiple times a week, from Weds-Sun. I guess to some Greek life is important, however almost all of my friends have not been involved in it. Last weekend I was at Hunter College for a fencing tournament. Sober weekends include going to the movies, or going to Squires for pool/bowling. The fencing club has socials, usually potlucks, but those are rare since tournaments take up so much time. Honestly, there's not much that is catered towards a sober crowd, though.

The most unique class I've taken has been Indigenous Ecology (AINS 4004). The teachers know our names, and class participation is about average. In general, students have academic conversations outside of class, but, unfortunately, participation in class is generally low. Some students spend hours upon hours studying each day, and others spend very little time. I spend some time with IDST professors outside of class, but not much. As far as academic requirements, I really really really really dislike general math (1015 for example) being taught online via the math emporium. It is an ineffective way for students who are enrolled in it because they aren't following a math based future to learn math, as they are the people who most need it to be explained by a teacher or TA. I feel like much of my education is learning for its own sake, but that is mostly because I have recently decided to go to Law school instead of graduate school. I also would like to see a sexuality studies department at Tech one day. Several schools have them, and I think Tech having one would do much to improve the quality of liberal education received by students. Back to the academic requirements, I think all students should be required to have more diversity classes - or maybe offer a catch all diversity class that covers issues of possible discrimination. This would also be helpful for students who are going into the work force who had little interaction outside their own race/religion/orientation/age/ect during their collegiate career (as is possible). I would also like to see more environmental classes being required by students. Students should be aware of what is happening physically to the world around them. Although it is possible for students to take either Human Sexuality or Resources Geology as part of area 7, some students don't take either and certainly not both. Both these classes, or others like them, should be required to ensure that students are well rounded in their education and general knowledge of the world around them.

Kara

The big picture at Virginia Tech is you, the individual. Every single student is an integral part of the Hokie community. It is difficult to say where most people hang out, or most people study, or what most people are interested in because our school does not function based on most. It functions based on the individual. There are so many different opportunities on campus that is impossible to say what is affecting the majority of the student body. Yes, Virginia Tech is a large school and it seems unlikely that such a school could focus on the individual's needs as much as the university as a whole, but VT is a community that pulls it off and Blacksburg supports that.

The student body at Virginia Tech has always characterized as laid-back and accepting. That doesn't mean we are indifferent, but we are definitely aware that no two individuals are exactly the same and not everyone has the same point of view as everyone else. Students at Virginia Tech are very diverse. I would not characterize our campus as extremely liberal or extremely conservative. We don't all come from one place and there is no typical student. If one was asked to draw what they thought the typical Virginia Tech student looked like, the most accurate sketching would have to be the Hokie bird. That is what unites all of us and only those who belong to the VT community would really understand.

Being a Hokie was not what I dreamed of when I was in high school. In fact, I always envisioned myself as a Cavalier at UVA. But, when mono caused me to miss months of school my junior year, I was forced to rethink the direction my scholastic career could feasibly take. I was devastated at the time to know that all my hard work was wasted on a few months lying in bed ill. Not many people would ever say this, but thank God for mono. I enrolled at Virginia Tech hesitantly, not know how a big town girl would be able to transition to small town life. The funny thing is, that never really mattered. Being a student at Virginia Tech is not about what you do off campus, but what you bring on it. A Hokie would never say that Blacksburg was too constricting, but instead say that Virginia Tech could be too opportunistic. A Hokie sees potential in all that they are faced with. I need not reference 4-16, as that day speaks for itself and that day does not define a Hokie. Instead, that day just gave Hokies an opportunity to show the world what this school has known about its members all along. Hokies are diverse, strong, passionate people. I followed the men’s basketball team to Columbus, OH to watch them play in the NCAA tournament. During the first game, a woman covered in UVA attire noticed my Virginia Tech apparel and walked up to me. With the most inquisitive look, she asked, “What’s a Hokie?” I almost laughed to myself. I used to want to be this woman, wear the blue and orange and be a member of her scholastic club. Now I possessed the knowledge that only those who have been a part of the Virginia Tech community can know and understand. I smiled at this stranger, stared her dead in the eye and responded what I now know as the only answer to what a Hokie truly is. Proudly I said, “I am.”

As previously stated, these stereotypes are unfair and inaccurate.

When I was trying to determine what college I wanted to go to, academics were very important to me. I always wanted to know: are classes too large, are they very hard, are they interesting, and so on. Now that I'm a student at Virginia Tech, I've learned that we have classes of 500 students and classes of 15. There are classes that require barely any work and classes that the majority fail. Some classes are fun and interesting and others make you cry from boredom. But all these things are what every college will tell you about their academics. I think that knowing the inside information will be most beneficial for you. This is what most people won't tell you. First of all, there is a core of academics here. You must complete roughly 15 classes in seven different areas of study. Some of those areas are boring and you feel like you're in high school again. Some of them are interesting and help you figure out what major you want to pursue. I will tell you that everyone's least favorite is the math area, because Virginia Tech does not offer very many formal math classes, but instead holds their math classes at an off campus computer lab. You must leave campus weekly to take quizzes on material you need to teach yourself. Everyone hates this. The math emporium, as we all it, is often crowded and can only be reached by car or bus, as it is too far to walk from the dorms. If you are not great at math, try and take your credits elsewhere or during high school, because it is difficult to get a professor taught math course that fulfills that math requirement. There is good news though that definitely offsets the negative aspects of the math emporium. If you like three day weekends, it is very easy to get a schedule void of Friday classes. In fact, in recent years, Virginia Tech has cut back on the number of classes they offer on Friday and is focusing on offering classes on Monday through Thursday only. There is even a rumor that VT will soon stop offering Friday classes, but that is just a rumor. The other piece of good news, is that early classes are easy to avoid. This year, my earliest class is at 11am and on Monday and Wednesday I dont start until 230pm. Most professors do not like teaching 8am classes and have multiple afternoon sections. If you are stuck with an early class because the later ones are full, there is a way around it, only if it is a large lecture class. Attend that same class later in the day, but be sure to go to your assigned class on test days.

Virginia Tech has a plethora of activities that have a way of finding you no matter how hard you try to avoid school involvement. Any given night, there is something to do, whether it's a guest speaker, a concert, a lecture series, career training, movie premier or club activity. The clubs and groups at Virginia Tech are countless. I can guarantee you will find more than five clubs that fit your most unique interest, and if you can't, make it! Social lives revolve around being part of activities. There is a great cross over between the two. For example, nothing is more common that spending your afternoon in a club meeting and your evening at a club get together downtown. That is just how things around here transpire.

It is unfortunate that people not familiar with the Virginia Tech community associate the campus' remote location with the school as a whole. Yes, there is a cow field adjacent to the main drive into campus and our school offers a strong agriculture and farm animal veterinary science program, but that does not mean every student is waking up at dawn to gather eggs from their own personal chicken coop. Blacksburg is the location of Virginia Tech, not the identity. We are proud to say that our school is located in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, but we are not all country folk. You are just as likely to see a student wearing designer clothes as you are to see one wearing a camo suit. We are just all different people and don't conform to any stereotype. That is probably one of the best aspects of being a Hokie. No matter how unique your interests are, there will be someone who shares them with you. Virginia Tech might have stereotypes, but in no way are we living down to them.

Torry

The best thing is not a thing. It is three things. Firstly, the people. Secondly, the food. And thirdly, the scenery. Because Virginia Tech is such a large school, it can be difficult to make friends immediately. The dorms are a meeting place for many, but for some, involvement in organizations is the best way to meet friends. It can be overwhelming being such a tiny dot on a huge campus, but once you find your niche, the size of the campus becomes an advantage rather than an obstacle. The community is so large and diverse that I truly believe anyone can find friendship. Joining a sorority opens lots of doors, but it's not the only way. Other organizations such as the Student Alumni Association is a great resume builder as well as a way to meet other people trying to get involved. Depending on were your interests lie, academic related organizations are also very social, like the school newspaper or the business fraternities. Moving along, the food is amazing. I believe it's rated among the best in the entire country. Lets face it, food is good. And good food is great. There are so many options, ranging from ABP to a home cooked meal from Westend. And for all the health fanatics, it's very easy to be healthy on campus. It truly is like dining out at a restaurant for every meal. So if you're imagining soggy grilled cheeses and a highschool-ish cafeteria, you're in for something delightful. School pride pervades campus. That's one of the things I love the most about being here. Coming from suburbia in Northern Virginia, there isn't really much pride. Just a bunch of houses. Here, being a Hokie is a way of life. It doesn't stop after graduation either. Hokies are a close knit community despite the large size. It's a very unique dynamic attending a school in such a small town, but with so many students. A small town feel jam packed with diversity. The best of both worlds if you ask me. On to the scenery. There are so many beautiful places. I enjoy taking out the trash from my apartment because as I walk down the stairs I have a beautiful view of mountains. It's breathtaking; definitely better than suburbia. There are also many places to hike in the area, such as my personal favorite, the Cascades. It's a 2 mile hike each way and at the end there's a very large waterfall. When it's warm, you can even get in the water. Speaking of when it's warm- I guess I should mention some downsides of VaTech. It's really not that warm that often. The winter months are tough, lots of gray skies and at least one month of bitter bitter cold. Things are definitely more exciting on campus when the cold subsides. Another downside, though seemingly trivial, is parking. On average, every single student at Virginia Tech gets at least one 30 dollar parking ticket at some point in their college career. Many people get many, many, more. Allow me to introduce exhibit A, my roommate who's gotten 16. Personally I've only gotten one. "Parking services" is ruthless. There's a definite lack of parking on campus, and the guidelines are very vague in many cases- in my view in attempt to give out more tickets. You also have to pay 80 dollars to even be able to park on campus at all during the year. Even having paid your money, you'll spend lots of your time driving in circles trying to get a spot competing against other vultures and slowly driving you mad. My advice is take the bus to class. The Blacksburg Transit can be crowded and annoying, but at least you don't have to fight to the death to park. All in all, freshman year can be tough getting used to the swing of things. But that's true almost anywhere. This school's truly exceeded my expectations for the "college experience".

Racially speaking, VT isn't very diverse. Pretty much, the majority of the people are white. This is something I believe is evolving. The campus is becoming more racially diverse, but I'd be lying if I said it was diverse at this point. There are clubs and groups for different races and religion, probably developed to help people feel less isolated in such a homogeneous environment. I've attended a few Young Democrat meetings and that's really helped me feel more connected to people who share my political beliefs on campus, because it seems to be a fairly conservative campus. There is a strong LBGT community that offers lots of support; members have spoken to several of my classes. I believe people of any sexual orientation can fit in at VT. Different types of students interact. There is very little prejudice here that I've witnessed. There have been some movements protesting the lack of diversity of race among professors, but I don't believe VT is a place that discriminates. People here are smart, and smart people are less likely to discriminate. Even if they are conservative. As far as what students wear to class, that's up to them. Some come to class in sweatpants every single day without fail. Others look like they are about to hit up a club downtown. Live and let live. Wear what you like, most people don't judge.

Though we are located in Southwest Virginia, the majority of the population is from Richmond or Northern Virginia. This is not to say there aren't a fair amount of southern folks, but nowhere near a majority. There are also many students who come from Northern states like PA and NJ. As for the obsession with football- true.

There are lots of very large classes at Virginia Tech. Many general courses like Intro to Theatre or Psychology have about 500 students. Personally, I enjoy this atmosphere. There is less pressure, and usually the teachers are very good. In fact, looking back on my 4 years of classes, I enjoyed most those huge ones. There's less pressure to impress your teacher, and chances are you know a bunch of people who you get to sit with. The teachers do cool things when they have such large groups. They are under immense pressure having so many students that they really come through with interesting lectures. It's kind of like going to a show sometimes, with movie clips and attention getters very plentiful. Students are competitive. Good colleges, such as this one, weed out unmotivated people before they even get a chance to come here. People do their homework here, and people take studying for tests very seriously. It's so refreshing to be in an environment where so many people care about academics. It's motivating. There is, however, a less close relationship with professors, which can make it difficult when it comes time for recommendations and things of that nature. But if you make the effort, you can form relationships with professors in large classes. They often encourage students to stop by their offices, even if just to say hello. I'm a Communication major and my only complaint with the department is that it's difficult to get the classes you need. Since there are not enough teachers, students are sometimes forced to take classes they don't even need because they're unable to get a spot in the ones they do need. That can be very frustrating. But all in all, I feel looked out for by my department. When it comes time for teacher evaluations, except in maybe 2 or 3 rare occasions, I've rated my teachers near perfect. They're pretty great for the most part.

Greek life is something like 13 percent of campus, but it seems to me to be more than that. That might be because my 3 roommates are all in different sororities, and most people I know are Greek. It's a great way to broaden your horizons, but it's not for everyone. You can rush freshman or sophomore year. So if you're not sure, just hold off a year and feel it out. As far as dorm life, I didn't have a great experience. The dorms are dirty! The bathrooms are one each floor, and they don't get cleaned on the weekends. Freshman year, it was so nice to go home to a real shower. As far as people leaving their doors open and being friendly, it really depends who's on your hall. My hall wasn't close, but I have many friends who made their very best friends on their hall, and who consider their dorm experience among the best of all of college. Personally, the day I moved into my apartment sophomore year that wonderful. Quality of life skyrocketed. And this year, being 21, I moved to an apartment downtown. I can't recommend that enough. I get to walk everywhere: class, bars, bars, class, restaurants. Coming from Northern Virginia I've never gotten to walk anywhere really. It's such a great experience to be able to live downtown and walk everywhere. Weekend life is great, there's never a dull moment. There are people who drink all the time, and people who don't. There are bars and parties and groups of people who do other things. Campus Crusade for Christ is a Christian organization that plans social events that don't involve drinking. Anyone can have fun here. Athletic events, such as FOOTBALL, as huge here. People look forward to them year round. They are so much fun, and they bring the community closer. I've heard that many people made their decision to come here based solely on the energy they felt from attending one football game. And some of those people don't even particularly like football. It's an event on such a huge scale that goes beyond the actual game itself. VT is fun for pretty much anyone. I haven't met many people in my 4 year career here that have difficulty enjoying social life here.

Having spent four years here, my best guess at a stereotype would be a southern drawl and an obsession with football. The scenery as you drive into campus seems to confirm these. The open fields with cows and Lane Stadium are among the first to meet the eye.

Kent

Best thing is the classes. I would change it to be more diverse, it is mostly white Virginians. It is way too big, it can feel so crowded a lot, I'd prefer a slightly smaller school. When I tell people I go to VT they always ask about the shootings. I spend most time on campus in Williams Hall, the Psychology building, because that is my major. This is definitely a college town, drunk morons take over the town every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night and make it hard to park anywhere or enjoy yourself or sleep.

Not very diverse, some aspects are but it could be a lot better.

No, every college has lots of strengths, we have a huge variety of options, it is not just a technical school

Classes are way too big, I would go to a smaller school if I had to do it all over again.

The groups are nice because they are usually small and only involve the motivated students. A lot of people come to college just to drink and get laid and it's nice to know that some people are here to expand their mind.

we are all jocks, alcoholics, rural, southern, hicks, etc. only good majors are engineering, architecture, and vet school

Danielle

At Virginia Tech we bleed orange and maroon. Virginia Tech has so much school spirit. Everywhere you go in Blacksburg you will see hokie pride. There is a saying that goes like, "How do you know God is a hokie? Because the leaves turn orange and maroon in the fall." Virginia Tech steams from hundreds of years of tradition that is imminent throughout the campus.

I would say Virginia Tech is a very white kid school. There is not that much noticeable diversity just walking around campus. Most of the kids here are from Northern Virginia, Richmond and Virginia Beach. Most kids either sport hokie gear to class or are kind of prepped out. Everyone and their brother pretty much owns a pair of sperrys and a black North Face Fleece.

I honestly have not really heard any stereotypes about Virginia Tech...

The biggest thing to do in the fall is FOOTBALL!!! Tailgates are where it's at. Greek life is prevalent but definitely not necessary in order to enjoy your college years. However, Greeks definitly do have more fun. Dining halls on campus are ammmazing. Hokie girll, or Ho grill as we call it is my favorite. D2 is an all you can eat dinning hall and has everything you could ever want. West end is also pretty amazing. Anytime you're feeling classy you can head to west end and order up some lobster and steak. The student body at Virginia Tech is Blacksburg's main population. When the weather is nice outside many kids go the River to have cookouts or go tubing. The Cascades is a beautiful place that a lot of students like to go hiking. It has a beautiful waterfall and a place to go swimming. For the majority, there isn't really too much to do in Blacksburg apart from hanging out with friends. You create your own fun.

At Virginia Tech, you get what you put into it. Teachers will learn your name only if you give them a reason to. Although many classes are large lecture halls, your professors make themselves available to answer any questions. There are many places to study on campus and many students consider Torg. Bridge or the Library their stomping ground when it comes to preparing for a test. Virginia Tech's education is primarily geared toward getting a job. Professors get you ready for the real thing and challenge you as if you are already in a professional climate. Career Services is a great service to students to help them prepare for interviews, resume, and whatever else a student might need to get a job.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.