Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Virginia Tech has the most school pride I have ever seen. All someone needs to do is go to a football game in Lane Stadium and see all the maroon and orange jumping up and down to "Enter Sandman". Football season is definitely the best. Blacksburg is definitely a college town because there isn't much else besides VT but that's the way we like it. When I say I go to Virginia Tech, the reaction depends on who I tell. The weather and parking are the only bad things at tech. Both are always hit or miss.

No student would feel out of place at Virginia Tech...unless I guess they were a UVA fan. There are so many different types of people that you can always find a group to fit in with. Most students don't dress up for class. I see (and wear) lots of sweatpants with tees. You see tons of maroon and orange too. When asking where people are from you hear a lot of NOVA or Virginia Beach but there is a lot of other places mixed in there as well. Students don't brag about how much they are going to make one day. EVeryone is really down to earth at tech.

These are so wrong. I have met some fantastic and super intelligent people at Tech.

People say that Virginia Tech is all country, hick kids with missing teeth. They also say that they aren't the brightest people.

If I'm up at 2 am on a Tuesday its probably because I have a test on Wednesday morning. I live in a dorm and keep my door open all the time. Kids can get kind of rowdy so I close it when sleeping or studying. Athletic events are a huge deal and everyone wants to go. Football games are the best as long as you have season tickets or good luck in the lottery. Fraternities and sororities are a great part of Virginia Tech. They make campus a lot smaller and let you get close with a great group of people a lot like yourself. They also give you an outlet to give back to Blacksburg and further. On a Saturday not drinking you can go see a movie at the lyric, go to the mall in Christiansburg, go to the Cascades, go tubing in the New River, or even see where dirty dancing was filmed. Last weekend I went to a dinner at the Inn for the 35th tridelta reunion.

Virginia Tech prepares you for life after college. It can be challenging and I think you get out of it what you put into it. Student are studying always and everywhere. Some kids can get competitive with grades but I have enough stress just getting through some of my classes.

I love virginia tech students, greek life, community feeling and the quality of my education in ISE is amazing. The thing i would most like to change is make more commuter parking. it is just right size wise. I spend most of my on campus time in class. The college town is great.There is tons of pride and I think thats what makes us different.

Nobody would really feel out of place here, typical dress is casual to class but some people dress up when they want. most students are from virginia mostly northern area.

My class sizes are realy huge and sometimes it feels impersonal but the professors will usually give you their time and help if you show up for class and too there office hours. I love my advisor and she always gives us emails of any job opportunities in our field that se hears about. It is very competitive.

I love greek life, I would recommend it to anybody and I'm pretty sure everybody gets a bid if they rush. I always have something fun to do if i want to go out and people to stay in with if thats what im looking for.

Harper

-the community, the unity, the campus, the school spirit -parking services -just right -they are impressed -in Pamplin, the business school -college town -great except I think we need more professors, I hated having TA's as teachers -people are mad that Freshman were able to sign up for the lottery for Yankees tickets -TONS of school pride even before April 16th -yes, we've experienced a tragedy together ...we're closer than most schools -Enter Sandman at football games with my best friends -Parking services, parking services, and parking services

-not much, we lack diversity ...growing up in a military family, that was something I was used to, I am involved with a church on campus though -not sure -anything and everything -like I said, we lack diversity, but I think so -- for the most part ...I have friends of all different races, religions, and socio-economic levels -white rich kids -northern virginia -upper middle class, upper class -yes, center -yes

1) We are all rednecks. 2) There is no diversity at our school. 3) Sorority girls don't really like each other.

-football, greek organizations -Student Alumni Associates, it is the most outgoing organization and so much fun, we are liasons between the school and alumni -some -athletic events are the most popular -college students don't really "date" anymore ...this is the same at every school though -I'm not really sure, we just all kind of found each other -at Jimmy Johns eating because I just left TOTS -too many to name!! Maroon and Orange Effect, Ring Dance, Big Event, etc. -about 3 or 4 nights a week -important - they support so many good causes and raise money for so many groups in need -I was home for spring break -go to dinner and a movie -go downtown, run errands

-yes ..more so my junior and senior years -my favorite class was marketing channels and logistics because my professor gave u real world examples and he was no bullshit -daily -yes unless its a early morning class -yes, I've had conversations about God, politics, and life with multiple people -none of my friends are -Geography of Wine -I am a marketing major because I wanted a business degree. There are so many directions and career paths associated with a business degree. The department offers a variety of classes pertaining to marketing - research, advertising, real estate marketing, etc. -If I want advice on a project or have questions, I go to their office hours. Many professors require us to set-up appointments with them throughout the semester -Same as most other schools -Learning for its own sake

Tommy

Community. It's nice to know that everyone in this town has Virginia Tech in common. Even the townspeople that have no official affiliation with Tech love the area. The school thrives in this location and this location thrives on Virginia Tech. I like that even though Tech is in Falwell country everyone here seems to be pretty liberal and open to new things and new ideas. I feel like we are more laid back than our rival state school, UVA. We are proud of who we are but aren't elitist about it.

My film professor knows me, and Film is what I care about so that's off the chain. I have many intellectual conversations outside of class but I personally don't like to get too philosophical on people. It gets boring when people think they're so smart. Nobody knows much in the big picture, so I'd rather

Best thing about VT is football games, would change nothing, campus is just right, people react normal when i tell them im from VT, I spend most time on campus in meetings or the classroom, Definately a college town, VT admin is ok, recent controversy is 4/16, SOOOO Much school pride, Unusual - how strong of a connection there is between students who are alumni and students (everyone believes strongly in our school), Frequent student complains = parking

There is some diversity but not a crazy amount but no one is hostile towards eachother, most students dress casually to class, different students interact in class settings or clubs, most VT students are from NOVA, most students families are middle class, students are somewhat politically aware, predominantly center when averaged together, no students do not talk about future earnings.

NOT AT ALL, everyone here is very laid back and normal. Not a very up tight school and everyone is friendly

That we are a school out in the country and there are lots of rednecks

I am involved in the class system which deals with the class ring tradition which is very big here, students leave doors open, athletics are huge here, guest speakers draw crowds based on popularity, theater not really, dating scene is very good, i met my closest friends in class, if i am up at 2 am I am usually partying, traditions include football, pep rallys. people party often, frat and sorority life is prevelent but not necessary at all, not drinking you can go to the restaurants downtown, a movie in christiansburg, a show at the lyric theater, concerts in burruss hall

Professors know my name, favorite - world regions, least - Intermediate accounting, students study hard and play hard, students in class participation is very common, Yes vt students have intellectual convos, students are not competitive with each other, Unique class = dating marriage and divorce, Accounting dept - very strong and very well funded and most teachers know you on a first name basis, Professors are accessible outside of class, VT academic requirements are good, My majors academics are geared toward getting a job

Kyle

Intro level classes are very large. Professors will never meet you unless you introduce yourself or visit during office hours. Upper level classes are necessarily much smaller. Blacksburg is a college town. Most of the local economy dependent on the high population that the university generates. This creates a sense of unity in the community but also creates a bubble effect for the students. The "real world" seems to be a distant place with "real" problems and "real" issues which a Virginia Tech student MAY feel disconnected from in this town. Some might argue the college experience here does not offer enough "real world" exposure since we are so far away from where we may end up working/living full time. The opposite end of the spectrum would be the heart of a major city like New York or Philadelphia where most all of your neighbors are NOT also comparable aged students with comparable life experience. The administration is very helpful and genuinely interested in success of the students. When I tell people I attend VT they seem surprised and always ask if I knew any of the victims of 4/16. On campus I am either in class, dining halls, or at the gym. I may attend a concert or sporting event also. Great amount of school spirit and pride. Most often displayed during sporting events but also obvious and prevalent at at times of tragedy(4/16/07) I will always remember the vigil on 4/17 and Nikki Giovonni's speech. Other hokie sport victories seem trivial on the same list but have also been difficult to forget. Student complaints are often about limited parking on campus. It is inconvenient for off campus residents that all the dining halls are on opposite ends(across the drill field) of campus than academic buildings.

I come in contact and associate with people of all racial, religious, politically affiliated and socio-economic perspectives. Although, a great majority of the students are white from middle or upper class homes. It is easy for me to associate with many types of people so it is difficult for me to see how difficult others may feel about being out of place here. Politics has become a heated personal issue all over the country in all age groups. I talk about politics with any one I feel can have an intelligent conversation without getting offended from a differing opinion. This makes it hard to tell whether people are unaware of issues or unwilling to take the risk of engaging a person unable to conduct a civil discussion. I grew up right, am drifting center. Many students talk about what they will earn. Since family connections and personal networking can be so influential yet often unintentionally private, it is impossible to tell who is boasting and who is just wishfully thinking.

Greek life reins as the most popular social groups. I played on the club mens lacrosse team for a fall season and really enjoyed it. I would still be playing if I hadn't gotten injured. the difference between the traveling club sports team and a greek sorority or fraternity is people join a greek organization for many different reasons. Popularity, networking, social status, friends in the org., leadership experience, business experience, etc. These differences in maintaining ties to the organization as I have witnessed makes it difficult and a constant effort to keep a unified group. Everyone on the Lacrosse team shared a very important common interest, a love for the sport. Unity was never an issue. Not difficult to make friends. People are friendly just looking to have fun. I don't believe in prerequisites for a social scene, other than compatible personalities. Mine is fairly compatible with most. I don't have trouble socially. Many social circles drink often, many others do not ever. Anyone can decide to surround themselves with a variety of settings to feel comfortable.

Professors of small classes know my name. As a junior, almost all of my classes are of curriculum that I am interested in and the only classes I do not enjoy attending are the ones where the professor is unenthusiastic and gears the class periods toward answering questions from the reading rather than lecture on the material. Students will study some most days of the week in preparation for intense studying the few days before an exam. Students do have intellectual conversation outside of the classroom on US and world politics, religion, literature, and much more. Students are competitive but not the extent of a university like Virginia. VT students compete against themselves and the class curve to get the highest grade they can. Overall the atmosphere concerning academics is focused, serious, at times stressful, but not at an extreme. The most unique class I've take has been Language and Logic, a philosophy course which satisfies a math credit since logic is mathematical. We studied arguments and analyzed the flaws in legal cases which opened my eyes to how much the English language can be manipulated. I am a finance major. I believe in the importance of an understanding of the country and global monetary system and overall economy in order to make sound judgments about how to allocate my personal assets and other decisions over the course of my life. Considering the complexity of this topic and my interest in it, I am confident Virginia Tech will supply me with resources to make this wealth of knowledge into a promising career. I go to professors for clarification sometimes outside of class times. The academic requirements at Tech are fair. Professors are always concerned with students getting an understanding of the material and gear the work to prepare us to be able to preform the types of tasks that exist in the professional field.

Victoria

The only thing I would improve is diversity on campus; not enough African-Americans at VT

I was a liberal arts major, so most of my professors knew my name. I wouldn't say Virginia Tech is even close to the level of educational superiority as a school like UVA. I didn't find my classes challenging overall.

Andy

Best Thing: Community I'd Change: The parking situation School is too large People think it's cool that I go to VT I spend most of my time in the gym College town Administration needs to do a little better 4/16 was the biggest recent controversy There is a lot of school pride. Most frequent complaint: The parking

The student body is good

Professor knows my name Favorite class: Nonfiction Creative Writing, Least favorite: Media Effects Students don't study enough Class participation is mediocre Students rarely have intellectual conversations

Bryce

Nobody is going to do anything for you at VT. You have to find it. This leads to a lot of kids getting angry at their advisors for not telling them about classes, mad at the administration for not keeping them informed about events on campus, and surprised faces when you tell kids that there's such thing as an honors program at Tech. There are still many good opportunities though, including a huge list of intramurals and clubs, a handful of interesting speakers and bands that come through, and research opportunities on the undergraduate side if you get down like that. If you are really interested in something, local music for example, you are going to have to do the research yourself and act upon what you find by yourself for the most part, even when it comes to academics, because chances are people are not going to be searching you out and trying to get you involved. This is probably a good thing in the long run however and you may actually end up making good friends from the process if you are able to find that small group on campus that thinks and acts like you.

Find a group of cool friends and stick with them if you come here! Your friends are invaluable here just as they were at any other phase of your life.

There's possibly a grain of truth to the stereotypes about the student body, but those stereotypes are so broad they may be true about any large group of college students. I mean, there's bound to be at least one Sorbonne rejected, heifer loving, fan of women's tennis at UVa as well. In reality, the amount of diversity is pretty surprising at Tech. You're going to find kids who are here to get messed up before football games, party afterward, and spend Monday morning sleeping off a hang over but you are going to find more kids who are very dedicated to their studies but still know how to make time to enjoy themselves. The most surprising thing however, is the diversity of academic backgrounds. A lot of kids do engineering simply because they know it will make them a lot of money after they graduate but there are many kids who do other majors. We have one of the best undergraduate architecture schools in the nation, a very highly ranked chemistry department, and a large portion of students doing psychology, political science, business, or double majoring in one of those areas. I've also met a lot of very talented and intelligent students here as well. Just because you didn't get a high GPA in high school because you didn't care about doing the homework for AP English in 11th grade doesn't mean you aren't intellectually gifted. On a more personal note, I'd like to throw in that everyone I've met who is not a math major at VT assumes that our math department is excellent. In reality, it is not very highly ranked. I think that goes to show how stereotyped our school is when it comes to academics. There is an instant assumption that VT has excellent engineering, math, stats, etc, but when someone finds out our architecture school was ranked number one last year they give a look of complete shock.

Most of the stereotypes I've heard come from UVa students or from people who tend to only know our school because of the UVa-Tech rivalry. Despite the fact that UVa students are supposed to more sophisticated than us and thus presumably above petty insults, there are many stereotypes about VT and VT students. The gist of these stereotypes is that our student body is composed of UVa rejects, rednecks who want to study agriculture, and airheads who only come here because we have a good football team. However, there are positive stereotypes too, and those include the perception we are very strong in engineering and that the students involved in this or a related discipline are very hard working, though probably not brilliant on the level an engineering student at Cornell might be.

The annual snowball fight is the coolest thing that happens all year. It's civilians vs corp and you are guaranteed to get powder shoved in your face.

Sean

Virginia Tech is a school with infinite amount of possibilities. Most students think "big" is bad. It can be bad when it comes to crowds, getting football tickets, etc. The good is the size allows you to join many different clubs and groups. There are many a alums. When I tell people Virginia Tech, they know that means a solid education and I like that feeling. This is a college town, with over 60% of Blacksburg being students. A lot of school pride! Complaints are size, hard to meet people, and hard to get tickets for sporting events.

If I were to take the most commonly shared characteristics into one person, I would get a white, Northern VA, former Varisty athlete, sports fan, smart and cocky person.

No, about 33% of our students come from Northern Virginia, which is certainly not rural and "hick." A lot of the freshmen are not bound by a sense of community, like we saw last year at this same school.

Freshmen year, class size is BIG! My classes can be up to 500 people, but don't take that as such a negative. I don't have a teacher that requires me to attend. Virginia Tech has taught me to discipline because I can choose to go or not. We will have a job for you before you leave. I keep hearing those words and alums have proven it. Virginia Tech prepares you for the work force and career services will find you a job.

Virginia Tech students love football and their school. While they love the idea of Virginia Tech and everything it stands for, they don't necessarily want to help continue it make it what it is. Most students won't volunteer or help others out. The stereotype is that Virginia Tech has hicks and a focus on agriculture.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.