Washington, DC
American University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend American University

Torry

The customer service at American is amazing. The administration and everyone else who runs things around here know what they are talking about and want to help you do whatever it is you are trying to do.

AU students are pretty diverse. There are a lot of international students here and everyone seems to really respect everyone else. Because of this respect, I feel like I am in a great environment to learn because no one is afraid to speak during class and I don't hesitate to leave my door unlocked if I need to go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat.

most are interested in politics but there are a lot of people who are very social and like to party.

I took a class on Contemporary Africa and it changed my life. My professor was an accomplished legislative director and made me understand African culture in politics from a different perspective than I used to. There were also several guest speakers and out of class events to attend that furthered my comprehension of the class. I changed my major because this course captured my interest in International Politics and International development.

The out of classroom academic activities are very cool because as residents of DC, we can get almost anyone to drop by and share a few words. Other than that it's pretty boring. The greek life is half-hearted and there are few who have a deep connection to the city's nightlife. It's really about finding the right crowd because everyone is looking for something different in their social life.

Interested in Politics, Awkward, anti-social

Justin

The best thing about AU is the community. The school is big enough so that you can't know everyone, but small enough that you build small communities and end up knowing quite a bit of the student body. The added bonus is that we are located in the safest and most affluent part of DC, but it is easy enough to hop on the metro and explore what DC has to offer...including parties at other schools or historic sites downtown. On campus, I would say I spend most my time in Ward for class, Mary Graydon Center for food, and the library during finals time. It all happens in waves, depending on priority. I have never been in a place where administration cared more for its students than AU. AU's faculty and staff commit tons of time and energy to making sure we are happy. In Kogod, staff work with our student clubs in order to make sure our events go off without any major snags. The campus has a multicultural office that makes sure the underrepresented our represented. We also have an office that gears to the concerns of gay,lesbian, and transgendered students. Not to mention, AU goes through consistent upgrades to insure we are competitive with our neighboring schools. I will always remember when Barack Obama came to campus and ignited the crowd with excitement. Or when Ari Fleischer spoke my freshman year, and took a picture with me when he walked to his reception. Most people at AU complain that we have too much work to do, but who doesn't? Last biggest controversy on campus was probably our president being asked to step down, but that was a year ago.

*There is a good sampling of conservative viewpoints on campus. *A good percentage of students ARE from the east coast. *Depends on how you define diversity. I have met students of so many backgrounds I can't count, so I would say AU does a good job in its selection process. *AU students are high caliber. We may not receive the same level of prestige and publicity, but we have some of the most gifted students in DC and nationally.

Academics at AU are unique. Class size is always reasonable ranging from the size of a high school honors class up to a college lecture hall. However, most classes hover at the small range, meaning about 22-30 students. I have never had a professor that couldn't remember who I was. I haven ever had a professor who didn't have mandatory office hours or that was not willing to help. AU's requirements are such that we get to learn a little about a lot early, then learn a lot about our concentration later on. It builds a more universal, more globally experienced student. We engage in conversations outside of class all the time. Just last evening, I ended up spending two hours of study time talking about the 2008 presidential elections and gay marriage. We are as competitive as any student at any other school.

*All the students on campus are very liberal. *The demographic consists of New Jersey or New York. *AU calls itself diverse but it isn't. *AU students aren't as smart as GWU or Gtown students.

Leah

In my experience, AU has been a wonderful place to attend university. The location of the school is amazing, with shuttles to the metro from which any part of the city is readily accessible. The size of the student population is ideal, there are enough students to still discover new friends in different classes but not so many that finding familiar faces proves difficult. There is always something to be doing in DC and the (free!) venues available to students (like the Smithsonians) are a wonderful resource.

AU students tend to be very tolerant individuals overall. With a large gay and Jewish community (hence the nickname “AU: Gay-Jew” students are hardly ever discriminatory. All persons at AU are welcomed despite their differences. Most AU students seem to hail from the New York and New Jersey area and are very, very politically aware. In 2006, AU was ranked the #1 most politically active campus in the US.

I think it?s fair to say that this stereotype is accurate. AU has a wonderful career center (ranked #3 in the nation) and D.C. is a city that really provides students in the area with a great opportunity for work and internship experience, which obviously contributes to an internship-driven student body. While this may translate into a less well-rounded education (less focus on math and science), having a foot in the door professionally while still getting a world-class grounding in IR or Poli-Sci is definitely an attractive feature that really appeals to a lot of students.

Classes and faculty have been wonderful; professors are easily approachable and it’s rare to find a class with over 30 people, meaning students receive a lot of individual attention. Most professors learn your name within the first couple weeks and work hard to remain approachable. Often times, meeting with your professor outside of class is easy enough to arrange, especially with the “University Club” program in the main dining center, where professors may eat and invite students to dine with them. Course difficulty varies from class to class, naturally, but the overall workload is fairly manageable. Finding room in the packed library to study before finals time requires some effort though!

American University has a very wide range of activities for students to engage in. During the beginning of the year, the school puts on an activities fair to promote involvement which generally takes up the entire quad (no small feat). The administration will work with students to create and start up new clubs as well, if someone were to find their options lacking. Although Fraternities and Sororities aren’t given official school housing, their presence is most certainly felt on campus. Dorms are usually decorated with posters declaring the student’s Greek affiliation in lieu of actual housing and most parties around campus are hosted by these groups. If you’re not into drinking or partying though, there is still plenty to do in the city itself.

American University students are most commonly stereotyped as humanities-oriented and internship-driven. Due to the lack of a well-developed math and science program, in combination with the nature of life in D.C. (fast past and professional) it’s not surprising that AU students have this reputation. The bottom line perception is that the school is less academically oriented and more internship-experience based.

American University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.