Azusa Pacific University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Azusa Pacific University

Mashawnna

I'm happy I'm here during these trying times, and it is one of the schools I am able to continue class online without missing a beat. We started clinicals this week. I'm very fortunate because some nursing programs were not able to or ceased there program altogether. The teachers and administration works feverishly for you.

Alicia

I love that I am able to study my faith in depth at a university level. I also love how students and professors alike want to get to know each other. A very small campus feel where you are bound to run into someone you know, but not without its campus hideaways and study away opportunities. A great sports culture, and a fair amount of on campus activities and clubs. So glad I'm at APU!

Madison

Azusa Pacific has a community like no other. There are many student lead programs on campus that are designed to build the community on campus. Each month there are at least 10 events that allow students to engage in conversations and games that encourage community. The awesome thing about the events is that they are not all the same, some are more extroverted and others are more on the relaxed side. When it comes to academics, I am grateful for how small the classes are and how much each professor truly cares about each student. The office hours are consistent and are not only for academic talk, but conversations of faith and life in general. There is something for every student here. Although sometimes it can be stressful, Azusa provides students with counseling if needed.

Antonia

It's a great school. There are many things to do and many people to meet, such as school dances, sporting events, community hikes! Not to mention all of the professors are so kind and really exemplify Christianity in the way they teach and speak with students. APU makes you feel welcome, and can be a place where you're not afraid to be yourself and share your love of Christ with others.

Darin

I want to major in Biblical Studies so it's important that my education is founded in Christ and that my professors come from a background of faith. I also want to attend a college where I would not only grow spiritually but also experience a strong sense of community and belonging on campus. Azusa definitely had faith was integrated in every part of life. It is taught in education, in social events, and in community service. We started off watching a video presentation in the welcome center that gave a brief overview of APU’s academic standing, athletics program, campus life, and student testimonies. We then proceeded to tour the campus, looking at all the major sites including dormitories, eating areas, chapel, the gym, the libraries, the different department buildings, etc. I got to talk to an academic counselor, students attending APU, student staff members, and even one of my friends who currently attends Azusa. The tour was so informative and they broke everything down so that I was able to understand the application process, the tuition and total cost, and also what life would look like for me on campus. My absolute favorite part of the whole tour was the Library of Theology. APU has three libraries on campus, but one of them was dedicated wholly to theologically based texts. The books were in Greek, Hebrew, debated concepts and realities of faith, included historical texts, etc. APU also has parts of the original Dead Sea Scrolls so I could directly study primary sources myself. I liked the library and I could envision myself practically living there, spending all my time absorbing that knowledge and reading for hours. Also, APU has their own version of the wailing wall in Jerusalem. Students can write prayer requests and put them in the wall or they can read other prayer requests and pray over them. Growing up, I watched the movie “The Secret Life of Bees” and they had a wailing wall. Ever since seeing that, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do at my home so seeing that at Azusa was extremely fulfilling for me.

Overall, this University is incredible. Our limitation is being a private school and without state funding there is room for improvement with our facilities and campus food. However, with what we are given we do great things. The programs om this campus are incredible and the people within them will change your life and become your lifelong friends. In addition, the faculty and staff go above and beyond for each student and seek to create a personal relationship with us. They connect you with necessary resources, network for future employment and teach valuable life lessons. Altogether, APU is a great university.

APU is an amazing university. Before I started there, I was overwhelmed by stories of how difficult college is and how students would even try to sabotage each other. APU is nothing like that. Everyone takes the time to help each other, and there is hardly ever a time when I encounter anyone intentionally being rude. Come to this university for a great community and great academics. There aren't many places anymore that will have the best of both. Edit: Since starting to work for the university it has come to my attention that the school can be rather cheap when it comes to getting good things for the students. I personally would rather not have the facilities updated yearly in favor for more scholarship/grant opportunities. But the school is just as amazing as it always has been.

Reginald

Azusa Pacific University fosters faith and education. A great school however it would be nice if more blacks had the opportunity to attend.

Oralia

APU is a very friendly community. You definitely have to come in ready to be social and open to different social opportunities. Personally, it might feel forced and there are a handful of cliquey groups but aside from that the students are okay. Coming into everything from a couch potato catholic home I expected everything to be super conservative and 'jesus af' but majority of professors that I've had are very respectful and open minded. There are also students that come from different walks of life, so it's not all private christian school kids you're surrounded with. As for extra curricular activities there aren't too many clubs that go past religious clubs, there are however intramural sports and activities. Also if you don't have a car you are mostly stuck on campus since Azusa is a small town but there is a Metro stop walking distance from campus so that can be easily taken to get you places and or go explore the area.

I received a great education from this university, however all I have are complaints other than that. The school is not safe, in my opinion, and the university does a spectacular job hiding the crime that happens on campus. The surrounding city is not particularly walkable, but it appears to be coming up. I had excellent professors at Azusa, and they were all easy to access.

Sabrina

I love APU! It is expensive which is one of the downfalls but the professors are great and so are the people!

Amber

I love APU. After being here for 3 years I can say there are definitely ups and downs to the school. It is definitely in the perfect location, near every shop basically, the beach, mountains, downtown, and disneyland are all in vicinity. The professors genuinely care for their students, well for the most part. However, if you come to serve Christ and be surrounded by likeminded people, be prepared for a lot of lukewarm Christians... The resources are out there though, to surround yourself with those people trying to grow in their faith. It just requires some effort.

Michelle

I am a future student at APU, but when I visited, I was extremely happy with what I saw and experienced. Whether it was through email or in-person, all of the people I have communicated with have been nothing but welcoming and supportive. Beyond excited to join the APU family!

Alissa

When I went there I felt right at home, everyone was very welcoming and supportive, this is my dream school and prayerfully I am able to attend this fall.

Jazlyn

Azusa Pacific University offers a faith-based education that emphasizes strong community values. APU offers phenomenal support to students who are pursuing their educational degrees; through their attentive professors, small classrooms, and mentorship/tutoring opportunities every student has the opportunity to grow academically. Although education is the primary focus, APU incorporates a faith component that is present in both classroom and outside; for example students are required to attend University chapel three times a week. There are also other faith based events that occur on campus, as well as more intimate groups where students can gather to study the Bible. Students live communally on campus, there are a variety of recreational activities for students to partake in and grow in communion; for example there are school dances, sports, short term/long term study away opportunities, and a variety of clubs for students to join. Ultimately the on campus college experience can be what the student makes of it, how much they are willing to involve themselves in extracurriculars, attend events, add to campus spirit, and immerse themselves into campus culture, will affect how positively they view APU. In my case, I have grown to love the school because it has added a lot of richness to my life educationally, spiritually, and socially. Side Note: I am currently an undergraduate junior at APU with a double major, studying both Global Studies and Spanish, and a minor in Ethnic Studies.

Erin

I absolutely love APU and all that it has offered me. As a nursing student, it has taught me to incorporate caring for not only the physical patient but also the emotional and spiritual patient. I was also able to study abroad in South Africa and practice my nursing skills there. I would recommend this school to anyone!

Jenae

This school, in my opinion, is the BEST COLLEGE EVER!! The community has made it truly feel like my home, and the school clearly is there to support the students. I have never had a doubt that both of my majors will offer me the greatest possible lessons in their fields, and I am motivated to take even more classes so that I can learn all that I can. In short, APU has led me to believe that if you don't feel as if you're at the best school in the world, then you're probably at the wrong one.

Arianna

My overall opinion of Azusa Pacific University is that it is a great school academic wise. The school lets all students know that they should never be afraid to reach out for help whether it is a school problem or personal problem. The professors are always available and even answer on weekends if you are asking for help on something related to the class.

Aimee

APU has a good music program which is why I picked it. For the most part, the people here are all very nice and it's a very welcoming school. The requirements it has for gen eds on the religious aspect of things is a bit much if you ask me. Undergrads have to take 5 to 6 bible classes on top of all the other gen eds we have to take and if you have busy major, good luck keeping on top of it all. Chapel is a requirement 3 times a week. I've heard of schools having similar requirements but not 3 out of the 5 school days a week.

HANNAH

Although Azusa Pacific is a small, private, Christian University it does well to create a comforting, community environment. The class sizes are big enough to have class discussions and, small enough to get too know people. The professors actually care for the students and try there best to make a comfortable learning environment for everyone. Many people are deeply rooted in the word of God so its a safe environment for people of faith. Even if students are not Christians there still made welcome by the whole University.

Erin

Azusa Pacific University is an evangelical Christian university in Los Angeles. For the area, it's definitely on the more conservative side; while you will find a lot more who tend to the right than to the left, you can still find a variety of political opinions. Professors are accessible and take time for relationships with students who show interest in the subject matter. Of particular appreciation to me is the Honors College, which replaces General Education courses with a Humanities major. I study in the Honors College right now and I recommend it to anyone who wants to put in the effort! Through personal experience, I also know the college is very friendly toward learning disabilities and, in my experience, physical disabilities, but as a disclaimer I use a cane and am not wheelchair-bound at this time. Overall a good, affordable university with good academic opportunities.

jolia

I love the campus, It's my second home. I am a low income student and Azusa has helped me through my first and second year of attending there. All the staff help in and outside of the classroom, they are willing to offer as much time as the students need, and the best thing about them is that they are all encouraging and supportive.

Lucy

On my final walk down my home of Trinity 4 south, I suddenly remembered every place i had ever taken my shoes off that year. If I get comfortable somewhere I take my shoes off. I remembered when I left them behind in almost every other room of the floor after pizza parties or debates. I took them off in the study room when we played hot lava monster like kids. I took them off in my physiology and ministries class, when my professors would forget lectures for a day to address our needs as students and political affairs. I took them off at 3 AM in the library, studying for my Anatomy final with my new friend. I found little places of comfort in almost every aspect of Azusa. It is a campus that becomes a home.

Yndira

It is a good school as far as I am aware. I attend the regional campus in San Diego. They were very helpful during the application process, but when it came down to financial assistance there is a lack of communication and assistance. So far, the professors do teach fairly well, but some might need to be a little nicer.

Jimmy

Way too expense and education is worse than state schools.

James

I think it's a very accepting school that does its best to show christs love, considering it's a Christian school, and everybody is so talkative and kind. The classes are small so it's easier to get one on one time with professors and it's just a great all around school.

Mackenzie

I loved my study away experience at APU. I went to the High Sierra campus in Bass Lake near Yosemite National Park last semester and it was one of the most impactful experiences of my life. I felt so empowered surviving a five day backpacking trip, rock climbing on actual rock, and hiking in Yosemite exploring awe-inspiring waterfalls. The semester is also known for it's academic rigor and unique perspective of the humanities; the professors are so accessible and they ask deep questions that encouraging me to critically think and that I was actually interested in. I love main campus, too, but this semester up in the mountains was one I will never forget.

Alyson

Azusa Pacific University is truly a God First University. This college is always active, always fun, always energetic, always loving, always caring, and most importantly always God First. There is mandatory chapel three times a week for all students religious, or not. At first I thought that this would shove religion down individuals throats. However, chapel is very aware that not everyone on campus is Christian and they respect that. They are always respectful towards those who come from different denominational backgrounds, or who simply just do not believe. During chapel, and in our classes where there is normal faith-integration, our administration, campus pastors, and teachers widen everyone's perspective on numerous denominations. We do not just focus on bettering ourselves as religious individuals, we focus on furthering our knowledge about other denominations, and it is up to us to come to conclusions and overall beliefs. The teachers are extremely invested in their student. If they see you struggling, or see you failing, they will reach out, and figure out what is for your best interest and benefit, not for their own selfish tendencies such as their income based upon the head count in their classroom. Individuals on campus are extremely friendly as well, I have not heard, or witnessed any drama or disputes. I feel extremely safe and the school has not had any threats or potential hazards. The education is like no-other; challenging, but worth it. Their facilities are more helpful than any other facilities I have seen or heard of. The campus is very lively; meaning that there is always a school event going on during the week in order to build community. The only downside to Azusa Pacific University is the tution. It is a private college so the tuition is very high; however Azusa's financial aid office is so helpful. They always reach out to struggling students to make sure they do not lose them. Overall, Azusa Pacific University is the most educational, commune, lively, fun, honest, and wonderful college to attend.

Cyril

This school exceeds my expectation on what people who attended there told me. There are a lot of opportunities to get yourself involved with the university such as intramural sports, clubs, school-affiliated organizations, associated student body, and many more. The community itself makes you feel like your home, and I have experienced that during my summer orientation. The staff, which is comprised of students, are very willing to assist if there are any problems. Lastly, class size is smaller than any average university, which means professors can easily remember and assist you.

Anthony

Azusa Pacific has been a University that focuses on faith, community and quality education. We typically have chapel three times a week and are able to build up our faith and worship together as a school which is something I have come to truly appreciate. The community I have developed in my on-campus housing has been amazing as well, we usually have BBQ's, get-togethers and have genuine friendships that will last far beyond my college years. Lastly, Azusa Pacific doesn't have the budget of some of the larger campuses in the country to spend on the latest and greatest, but the dedication and quality of the professors is bar none. I have learned so much academically as well as spiritually. Definetly a place to get a great college education.

Alyssa

I LOVE APU, everything feels right, you must be understanding in finding yourself and your faith. You will be tested in ways you have never imagined but you will gain the tools to a successful life as a student at APU. The people are warm and friendly.

Verania

It is a nice small school. If you like your professors to know you on a first name basis this is the school for you. Very close community even for commuters and people off campus. Food is good on campus but it can get tiring. There is a Starbucks on campus and many food spots around the campus. Facilities are all clean and bright. Because it is a Christian University you do have to go to chapel 3 times a week but they do allow up to 10 absences each semester.

Kristin

I visited the campus for a new-student event and i immediately fell in love with it. The dorms are beautiful and homey, and there are so many different places on campus that you can use your meal plan at instead of just old fashioned cafeteria food. The staff were all so helpful and welcoming, and so were the student.

Kaylin

While the food may not be the most amazing and the housing is not the newest, the Azusa Pacific University community is the best on any campus. All of the students are so kind and respectful to one another that it is almost considered rude to not hold the door open for the person behind you. Many of the faculty will go out of their way to help their students succeed and the campus is as safe as it gets. And those are the things that matter the most.

Daryl

I enjoy APU and the community here. I love how there are people of all different types of friend groups and personalities but there really isn't any peer pressure. No one forces you to do anything. I like how APU's particular views on Christianity are not forced on us, but I do not like the diversity talk being shoved in our faces. That is not equality. I also disagree with some of the general education requirements because of the disrespect to teachers and lack of motivation from students. Overall, APU is a wonderful fit for me, and I believe every university has its flaws.

Christina

Great school! There is a ton of great people, the class sizes are small, and the professors care about each student and its easy if desired to have a personal connection with each of them outside the classroom. Everyone is very friendly and it's not hard to find an activity you enjoy.

A great place full of community and amazing professors who make the extra effort to connect with their students to ensure they succeed. High academic standards with high quality professors to teach the challenging but informative material. Good on-campus living options with well made food, however low options of food type. Great chapel programs for those that want a christian environment.

Borah

Azusa Pacific University is a very friendly University where everyone can feel comfortable. There are four dorms buildings/ housing for freshmen, two for sophomores, and two for Juniors and Seniors. Everyone is very nice, and it's very easy to make friends in APU.

Levith

This is a great school to get your BSN degree, however due to constantly studying there is little to no time for fun. Nursing program is intense but I am grateful that the professors are there to help us succeed and become humble nurses. This school also is extremely helpful to those that are struggling in our courses and help us with whatever they can.

Domenicque

I personally love APU I met so many amazing people and amazing friends in my first year. I just hope and pray I spend all four years there because the community, the staff, academics, opportunities, are truly amazing and what makes APU different from other universities. You always feel welcome even if you aren't from Azusa county they make you feel so welcome. For example, I am not from Azusa and yet they made me feel so welcome and my transition to the APU so much easier and being a faith-based school it allowed me to grow even more in my faith. But APU could work on a few things like the facilities for once I filled out a work order and I didn't get a reply for about a few months and then I had to submit another order. Another thing is the tuition, they give out 4-year scholarships that help with the tuition of the year we get in but does not change when the tuition rises, thus causing a student retention issue. Other than that I would definitely recommend this school if you are interested in business, nursing, and wanting to grow in your faith.

Christine

Azusa Pacific University has different location campuses and the university offers programs and courses for students to be able to work on campus and online. Specifically, I attend Azusa Pacific University in Azusa and I enjoy the experience and environment! The students and faculty are nice, caring, and fun. There is a variety of opportunities for students to get involved in clubs and join honor societies. APU has a various academic resources, tutoring, computer labs, libraries and other student services. APU sports culture is great, the campus has different facilities for students and student athletes. To name just a few, there is fitness center, playing court and fields for student access. For sports, there is a track stadium and basketball gymnasium that certainly fits a large crowd. The univeristy campus has on campus housig and off campus apartments. There are food courts and dining halls for students on both east and west campus. Also, there are fast food places, restaurants, and stores nearby the university for additional food options. Overall the university has a great educational atmosphere for students to accomplish their personal and professional goals.

Hannah Mae

It's a great place to be if you want to grow in many different ways, ie. spiritually, intellectually and in a community. You learn to be open-minded and develop an understanding of the people around you while keeping in close contact with your family. Moreover, the student-faculty interaction is great and they get to know you on a personal level.

Chase

I think Azusa is an amazing school, fun people, great food, and several options to go with you and your friends to town! There is always some pick up hockey, spike ball, or basketball game going on and people are always open to invite you into a game.

Noel

If I could give my school more than five stars I would. Coming to Azusa Pacific has made me so incredibly excited for my future. In high school I struggled with depression, but coming to Azusa Pacific I jumped into campus life, joined clubs, and met my amazing friends. Coming to this school I have received so much emotional and spiritual support. I feel safe and have a sense of belonging. I work on campus four days a week and I am so blessed to have this job as a barista. Unfortunately the school cost is astronomically high and I would not be able to return without the help of scholarships. I cannot lose my place here, I will do anything it takes to return.

Sydney

I visited APU, and that was my deciding factor on whether or not it was my top choice. People are so friendly and the professors are always actively participating in giving good lectures and answering any questions you have. My visit there definitely made APU my first choice school. I'm now registered for Spring semester and just have to sign up for my classes. I couldn't be happier!

Jonneise

I can't wait to finally get accepted in to the school it is going to be an amazing experience that I cannot wait for. I hear that this is a private college and the campus is amazing, the teachers and the environment is wonderful and the students are pretty open to help new incoming students.

Porsche

Azusa Pacific University is an overall "surfacy" Christian school with lots of great offerings, yet, lots of lacking areas. APU welcomes students of various Christian denominations, however, the assumption of a diverse and inclusive community is debatable. Majority of students are of Caucasian decent leaving others to feel out of place on campus. As a leader of one of the campus' ethnic organizations, I can attest to many discussions, hate crimes, and silent protests taken place on campus that proves this to be true. On another note, APU carries many gold-standard professors who deliver a great education to students. Rarely will you come across a professor who is uncaring or apathetic towards their job. APU's campus and facilities are well maintained and for the most part safe. APU is EXPENSIVE. But, it is a private university.

Ciara

Azusa Pacific is an average religious liberal arts university. It is more liberal than other Christian schools, but still has many flaws. They don't cater to the student body as well as they should. There are many great groups on campus, but not all are supported equally.

Aileen

Azusa Pacific University is AMAZING. If you consider yourself a difference maker, or if you cannot see yourself there, this college is for you. It is worth the journey to help you become that difference maker you were born to be! There are many opportunities for people to grow here: leadership, volunteer work, mission trips, study abroad, student government, intramurals, etc. This university has it all!

Larry

As a graduate of the MA and PsyD program, I was deeply disappointed with the learning culture at APU. Under it's current leadership, I watched the graduate psychology department shift their focus away from Christian values and academic rigor toward an emphasis on the ideology of political correctness. If you are going to attend this program, expect to frequently hear progressive rhetoric about the evils of white privilege, micro-aggressions, homophobia, inclusivity, xenophobia, and stereotyping. While multicultural diversity and liberal values are celebrated at APU, those with different views would do well to either abandon their values, remain silent, or be judged and labeled.