Daytona Beach, FL
Daytona State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Daytona State College

Mallory

If I could go back to my high school senor year, I would be more involved and I would have had a plan for college and I would have asked for help when I needed it. I would have done the Dual Enrollment program and attend free classes at the college and have most of my AA done, for free. It would have been a lot less stressful that way. I encourage all of the youth I meet to do so, college is a beautiful thing, I wish I realized that then. When all is said and done, I regret not trying harder and doing what I could have done then.

I wish I knew that going to college isn?t all fun and games, just because I go to school where I grew up didn?t make it any easier to focus. I also learned not to procrastinate, if you fall behind, pick yourself up as fast as you can.

The most frustrating thing about Daytona State College is the lack of communication between all of the staff and the professors, it?s hard to talk and ask for help if nobody knows what you?re talking about. They send you from person to person because they don?t know what the answers are.

Katelyn

I would tell myself to work hard and put everything into making sure I got scholarships, grants, financial aid, etc. for college. I would also tell myself how important it is to do this. In high school I wasn't very aware of this and that caused me to sit out a year before I start college. I just wish I could have gone back to high school and knocked some sense into myself.

Chelsea

My classmates are very mature and outgoing and are very different from eachother.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and knowing what I know now about college life, I would definitely give myself a few tips and heads up. Some advice I would give is to really be ready for the difference in maturity from high school to college; teachers are a lot less tolerant of childish behavior now. Also, between long classes you?ll definitely get hungry or thirsty, so always have change or single dollar bills for vending machines. Another piece of advice I?d give myself is to stay on top of my work and everything else will follow in line and college life will be a lot easier. Lastly I?d tell myself to relax, and have fun. It?s okay to talk to people and make new friends. Chances are everyone else is just as stressed or lost as you might be. College can be a really great time in a persons life, you just need to take full advantage of it!

The type of person that should attend this school is a well rounded, goal oriented person who knows what they want to achieve and who doesn't mind small class sizes.

Catherine

The diversity at Daytona State College is absolutely phenomenal. I am often in a class with students as young as dual enrolling fifteen years old high school students to seventy-five year old adult education students. Even in most working environments, this age diversity is not existent. I find it quit amazing to see this broad age range striving for the same goal, their degree. Daytona State College motivates their students to do their best in school; it is very obvious their message has gotten through by looking at so many ambitious students.

The transition from a small high school where everyone is familiar to a large college with five campuses can be intimidating; not to mention the unpronounceable names of classes required to take for your major. I, like many of my classmates, slowly began doubting myself. "If the valedictorian from the graduating class before me just dropped out of college because of 'bad teachers', how am I going to go to college a succeed?" I asked myself. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind my self that I am an individual, and my goal is different than anyone else and no one can achieve my goal but me. I would remind myself that teachers are humans too and, just like I did in high school, if I get to know my teachers and ask for help when I need it they will be glad to help. Professors like to see their students succeed and I will do exactly that if I try. I would constantly remind myself of a quote by Robert Louis Stevenson, "Everyone who got where he is has had to begin where he was."

Daytona Beach Community College has recently became a state college; it is now Daytona State College. I often brag that I am able to earn a Bachelor?s Degree at the same community college price. I also often brag about the quality of teachers that are at Daytona State College, I have taken classes at DSC for three semesters and I have never gotten a "bad" teacher. All of my teachers I have had have cared about my grades and my success.

Alex

My classmates are diverse.

My classmates are diverse.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice on college life I would have to tell myself three things. One, don't be intimidated. freshman year is just like high school. The only difference is you get to make your own schedual and choose when your best time of day is to learn. Second, I would tell myself that athletic training is not what I reall want to do, and to start off taking the class to become an EMT. And finally, I would tell myself to set aside time to study. Time where you don't plan anything else, just time to do your homework and prepair for the next class period well enough that you know what is going to be taught before you even go into the class, and use the class time to ask questions about things you didnt understand while you were studying.

The best thing about my school wouild have to be the diversity. We have studemts from all over the world that come to my school to get a start on a better life.

Sandra

My classmates are dual-enrollment high school seniors.

My classmates are dual-enrollment high school seniors.

My school is best known for nursing program. I have heard that Daytona State College have an excellent two year nursing program.

If I could back in time as a high school senior I would advice my self to learn a second language. Because I did not attend high school in the USA, it was very challeging to enter a USA college. I think that knowing a second language is really important and many students should spend more time in doing do so. In addition, I would advice my self to enjoy and value the momentes with my professors and classmates. Now that I in college I have realized that high school was a great time in my life.

Trang

Since I studied my high school in Vietnam, I would have advised myself to spend more time on practising my English. My high school did not teach the pupils how to speak in English, instead they focused on teaching the grammar part. When I first came to the United States, I was shocked by how the English is sounded and spoken daily in a real world. Fortunately, I am getting used to it over time. Everybody that I know says my English is getting better every day.

I think this school is good for everyone. Most of the professors are friendly and helpful. I am very satisfied with the professors.

The most frustrating thing about the school is the administration department. They are not very helpful and not quick at responding to your questions.

Angela

Our school in known for the great academic department that we have. There are tutors available to help you from 8am to 8pm. The professors are usually more than willing to help in any way they can to see you suceed.

If I could go back in time and tell myself that I needed to go to college after high school I would want to know why. Now that I have the answers it is all too clear. It is so much easier to go to college when you are younger and carefree. There is no real worry about bills, that mom and dads job. You also never know where life is going to lead you. You might have children and cant go to college at the time you have decided you are ready. Go while you are in a position where you have help from your parents. After you become a parent it is a lot harder to study, make money and have time for fun things like college parties and activities. I do hope that every high school student has enough encouragement to go to college and make something out of their life. It makes it all worth it when you have a rewarding carreer, and the benifits that come along with it.

Almost anybody could join this school. If you are really not willing to put a effort into the school then you will not accomplish anything. The advisors want you to be serious and will help you find what you a career.

Kellee

The advice I would give myself would be to go to college right after high school and not take a semester off from college. I would of told myself to take more advanced classes as a senior to prepare myself as a college student.

A first time student just getting out of high school.

The most frustrating thing about school is time management between home and school.

Britta

College life requires a whole new outlook on life, but one should not be scared or discouraged. It is a wonderful time of discovering new traits about oneself, and finding friends. I would advise myself not to be so afraid of my life as a future college student.

The worst thing is the library. It is old and dank, and feels as if it is about to crumble down. Also, there are not many areas for students to study in. Most are off-limits to that sort of activity.

I think that this school allows all students, of all ages and ethnicity to attend it. However, if one is looking for four year degrees, this is not the college for that person. They only offer a limted number of four year degrees.

Daytona State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.